PDA

View Full Version : IT question

CptKipling
08-21-2003, 09:42 AM
Here\'s a tricky one for you...

How do you tell IE where to view favourites from?

I dont know how it happened, but now when I look to my favourites it shows the default Windows favorites (c:\\windows\\favorites). It used to go nicely to the favorites for my user name (c:\\windows\\profiles\\[cptkipling]\\favorites).

If anyone can tell me how to fix this I would be gratefull.

Andy
08-21-2003, 03:39 PM
I bought some headlights for my car and they don\'t fit, how can I fix it ? Notice something ? Would be handy to know the kind of Windoze and the version number of IE.

Fvcked up user files/profiles are always a hassle in windoze. It\'s not easy to fvck them up though, but it happends sometimes. Try to import the old favs (should be in File/Import&Export or something like this). Give some details if you want or need it linked to your /profiles directory back again.

CptKipling
08-21-2003, 03:48 PM
Sorry good point.

IE 6 (fully patched) and Windows ME (which is the real problem i think).

I thought about Importing favourites, but that makes my fav\'s viewable to the default user (i.e the rest of my family), so this isn\'t really an option.

belgareth
08-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Before you try to do anything else, get rid of ME. It\'s the worst OS they\'ve put out since DOS 4.0. 2000 or even better XP.

DaVinciKittie
08-21-2003, 07:22 PM
Hey Bel, was that \"even better, get XP\" or \"XP sucks worse than ME\"? Just wondering. I hated ME with a passion but am quite happy with XP.

Sexyredhead
08-21-2003, 08:41 PM
Bel, I like the new sig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

belgareth
08-22-2003, 02:18 AM
ME sucks big time. XP is very stable and reliable. It saves me a lot of support time because it is so easy to use. I don\'t like the licensing requirements but accept it because something needs to be done to slow the piracy.

belgareth
08-22-2003, 02:21 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Bel, I like the new sig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Thanks. I\'ve decided that reality is too tedious and will be taking an extended vacation from it. Anybody want to join my fantasy world? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yours isn\'t bad either.

Andy
08-22-2003, 04:40 AM
ME is no operating system, it\'s something you install on the computer of someone you hate with passion. Kick it from your HDD, cut the disc in pieces (to prevent further contamination), write a nice letter to microsoft and install 2k or XP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)))

belgareth
08-22-2003, 05:09 AM
So, are you trying to say you have some type of problem with ME? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sexyredhead
08-22-2003, 06:52 AM
Well, not to be rude or anything, but don\'t we all??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

belgareth
08-22-2003, 07:09 AM
Be nice, now. You\'ll hurt my feelings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

proteus
08-23-2003, 04:53 AM
Windows ME is the worst MS OS no doubt - but if IE is insisting on using the C:\\windows\\favorites why not just copy the favourites folder from c:\\windows\\profiles\\[cptkipling]\\favorites folder and just drop it into C:\\windows. That way your favorites will display in IE - other than that you could search your computer for any extraneous profiles within Windows and IE and delete them - of course with ME this is risky business and if you don\'t know what you\'re doing you could really let loose the hell in ME /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif - best option is to upgrade to XP if you are able too as that to me is the first decent piece of software MS has ever produced.

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Here\'s a tricky one for you...

How do you tell IE where to view favourites from?

I dont know how it happened, but now when I look to my favourites it shows the default Windows favorites (c:\\windows\\favorites). It used to go nicely to the favorites for my user name (c:\\windows\\profiles\\[cptkipling]\\favorites).

If anyone can tell me how to fix this I would be gratefull.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

belgareth
08-23-2003, 06:05 AM
XP is one of Microsoft\'s better works but they have had a few other successes. Windows NT was a nice stable OS and a big part of XP\'s success is based on the NTFS. Prior to that, their last successful OS was clear back with DOS 3.31. That was the last native OS before they started trying to get into GUI. Dos 4.0 was where they started using the so-called DOS shell and it was a disaster.

IMO, Microsoft has been much more concerned with marketing products quickly rather than with stability for end user platforms. Until XP, they have never had a GUI user platform that could run more than a day or two without stability problems. The various flavors of UNIX have been able to run month after month without error since my college days. If a bunch of eggheads and hackers can do that, why can\'t a giant like Microsoft?

CptKipling
08-23-2003, 06:20 AM
Thanks guys.

I know ME is bad, I have to live with it (if I had a penny for every problem...)! It was given to me by a friend a year ago and I\'ve been stuck since!

Looks like i\'ll be getting XP!

Andy
08-23-2003, 12:42 PM
@Bel

Unix has nothing to do with hackers and not even Linux development has something to do with hackers (well, at least in most cases). I just had to comment it, because it sounded sooo windozetrollish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

The best MS OS before XP was for sure 2k in his role as NT successor (and I still suggest using 2k for stability). MS did a quite good job at it and it was stable after SP1 and supported everything the standard user might want to do after SP3. This sounds bad ... but it\'s a really good job compared to other MS tinkerings. ME on the other hand is crap beyond repair, no patch in the world will make this piece of cra ... uuumm ... code run smoothly. This peace of s.. ummm software creates his first general protection fault in the software of the scanner while checkin\' out the softwareshop. High contaminating digital waste ... throw away with care. Trust us ... your life is better without ME (hey .. I think I said that before, not in the same context .. but well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

belgareth
08-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Andy,

UNIX was indeed created by a bunch of eggheads working at UC Berkely and Stanford, more than a few of whom were family friends and associates of my dad\'s. It was then released to the public domain where it has been improved and upgraded many times, in large part by hackers. The public\'s misperception of hackers notwithstanding, they are usually some of the best and the brightest in the business and get their bad name from a few jackasses. Linux, SCO and Solaris are comercialized versions of the original UNIX. I frankly feel that we as a group have taken the wrong path by being so tied to Microsoft. UNIX, in all it\'s flavors is far better and since the graphic interface has been developed, it is a far better choice the the MS products. The biggest problems are public acceptance, the same public that loves AOL, and support. Few end users are equiped to handle their own issues and need the dedicated support that is available for MS products but not for UNIX.

We don\'t disagree about ME or 2K. I didn\'t like the requirements for XP when it came out because so much legacy hardware was not and never will be supported. Nor do I like the need for many new tools to deal with the disk issues as so many of my older tools cannot even detect NTFS much less resolve it\'s problems. However, XP, especially Pro, is a fine, wonderfully stable OS and is worth the trouble and expense of the upgrade. If for no better reason than it\'s ease of use and the strong security built into it I recomend it to all my clients. The other side is the life expectancy, in another couple years 2K will no longer be supported. Many of it\'s features are already outdated.