PDA

View Full Version : Blackout

CJ01
08-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Well first of all I want to say I really sympathize with those who were affected by this mega blackout.
And I wonder just how much this will affect the birthrate in nine months from now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sexyredhead
08-19-2003, 11:20 AM
...and the divorce rate in the next few weeks--I bet there was some major fighting going on in some of those houses when the AC went out.lol

CJ01
08-19-2003, 11:26 AM
hehe, darling it was a blackout I didn´t know what was gonna happen, I didn´t know what to do, I thought I´d never see you again, I was SOoooo scared - so I just shagged this guy who was with me in the elevator....oh and I´m pregnant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Whitehall
08-19-2003, 12:16 PM
What I find interesting is the politicians. They think they know all about the electric grid and they and only they have the solution! It\'s disgusting.

Cheney was pointing out the problems in the National Energy Policy a couple of years ago but does he get any credit?

The easy call is for federeally-enforced reliability standards. So what! That\'s just noise and will have very little real effect other than add another layer of stupid regulations.

What is also interesting is the right-wing nuts who think this is a call for further deregulation of the electric system. Of course, they know nothing about electricity and think their economic theories can do all the engineering for us.

I see this as a side effect of deregulation. We in the industry have had a big internal discussion as to who is to be responsible for the grid and for its reliability. In our free market, everyone uses it but no one wants to own it since it can only make money by charging monopoly rents.

This looks to me like a reason to stop further deregulation and return, at least in large part, to a regulated scheme with increased Federal jurisdiction. The states are going to hate that!

Of course, one of my fantasies is getting stuck, alone, with an attractive woman in an elevator.

CJ01
08-19-2003, 12:34 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Of course, one of my fantasies is getting stuck, alone, with an attractive woman in an elevator.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

And pay maintenance? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Yeah, politicians always know everything...BETTER. If they´re qualified how come they can´t find a decent job - okay I´m exaggerating. I`m not all that familiar with the US electricity system etc. Let´s wait and see what these investigations and stuff come up with. What I do know is though that this particular system hasn´t been modernized for about 40 or so years? Correct me if I´m mistaken please.
I´m rambling. I´m being forced to you -know what /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

CJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Whitehall
08-19-2003, 01:56 PM
We\'ve made some additions to the number of lines and certainly added better computer controls but in general, the US transmission system has grossly lagged demand and new generation.

What\'s been lacking is a central integration authority. It has gotten disorganized and no one is making the necessary investments.

One politician is running around saying we have a Third World grid - that\'s a gross overstatement. What we have is a grid taken over by academic economists in service to special interests - little wonder is doesn\'t work! Give it back to the engineers.

belgareth
08-19-2003, 02:13 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Give it back to the engineers.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Amen!

darkness
08-19-2003, 02:40 PM
the blackout hasn\'t ended. Hell, half the world still hasn\'t recieved or made a telephone call.

it is crazy to think how dependent you become on electricity if you have it. I was in the featle position shivering all night, and it was very hot.

CJ01
08-19-2003, 03:01 PM
half the world?

darkness
08-19-2003, 03:04 PM
yep. 3 billion people. Probably alot of rural people in china take up some of that total.

CJ01
08-19-2003, 03:14 PM
china depends on electricity supplied by the USA and Canada? what on earth.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

darkness
08-19-2003, 03:29 PM
what i am trying to say is there are a lot of people who have lived their whole lives without electricity, so I would think from there point of view, people panicking from a 15 hour blackout is ludacrious.

I don\'know how many people don\'t have poewr but i know half the world has never made or recieved a telephone call.

Holmes
08-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Point well taken, D, but it all has to do what one has learned to live with or without.

Holmes

EXIT63
08-19-2003, 03:42 PM
N<font color=\"blue\">ot </font>
I<font color=\"green\">n </font>
M<font color=\"red\">y </font>
B<font color=\"purple\">ack </font>
Y<font color=\"blue\">ard </font>

darkness
08-19-2003, 03:58 PM
holmes i am not making a point of saying it is ludicrous. only saying how it would seem ludicrous to them, which you seem to understand, given that you highlighted everything is relative.

i was all upset and didn\'t know what to do with myself during that time.

Holmes
08-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I gotcha, man. From the other perspective it must have been like \"Power outage? Yeah? And? What\'s the problem?\"

Holmes

darkness
08-19-2003, 04:26 PM
i saw a funny joke about the homeless people in nyc and the power outage. i can\'t remember what it was, but i bet they got a hell of a laugh.

Holmes
08-19-2003, 04:36 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, I\'ll bet they did.

Holmes

Whitehall
08-21-2003, 09:28 AM
It really is a silly comparison in this case. Millions of people have built their lives, their homes, and their workplaces around the use of electricity. The problem was the sudden change.

Many people on this planet live without electricity, as we all did before the 1890\'s but they don\'t live as well. New Yorkers could, with time, bring back horses and their attendant fueling and solid waste removal infrastructure. Say what you will about subways but they don\'t leave piles of manure in the street.