PDA

View Full Version : IT WILL ONLY TAKE A FEW SECONDS

MOBLEYC57
08-19-2003, 05:02 AM
AMINA LAWAL SET TO BE STONED ON - 27 AUGUST 2003

The Nigerian Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence for Amina Lawal, condemned for the crime of adultery on August 19th 2002, to be buried up to her neck and stoned to death. Her death was postponed so that she could continue to nurse her baby. Hearing on her Execution is now set for 27 AUGUST 2003.

If you haven\'t been following this case, you might like to know that Amina\'s baby is regarded as the \'evidence\' of her adultery. Amina\'s case is being handled by the Australian branch of Amnesty International, which is attempting to put together enough signatures to make the Nigerian government rescind the death sentence. A similar campaign saved another Nigerian woman, Safiya, condemned in similar circumstances. By March 4th the petition had amassed over 2,600,000 signatures. It will only take you a few seconds to sign Amnesty\'s online petition. Please click on the URL below and sign the petition now.

Go to the web page
http://www.amnesty.org.au/e-card/petition.asp (\"http://www.amnesty.org.au/e-card/petition.asp\")

Elana
08-19-2003, 05:17 AM
The moment I first heard about this story, I was sick to my stomach, but I was convinced that with the outcry of the world, she would be spared. My heart is heavy. I\'ll sign again and pass along. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sexyredhead
08-19-2003, 05:21 AM
Signed and passed on to everybody in my address book. That\'s so horrible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CptKipling
08-19-2003, 05:39 AM
I signed and will pass it on.

CJ01
08-19-2003, 05:39 AM
It IS horrible and disgusting! Unfortunately this is not a one-off case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
These type of things happen all the time in different parts of the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I´ve signed this petition too, just hope it helps somehow too!

Sign of adultery...? Is her husband infertile?

CJ01
08-19-2003, 08:20 AM
Doing some PR work for this now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CJ01
08-19-2003, 12:17 PM
How many times can we vote/sign for this?

CJ01
08-20-2003, 02:57 AM
bump

Elana
08-20-2003, 06:47 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
The man named as the father of her baby girl reportedly denied having sex with her and his confession was enough for the charges against him to be discontinued.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> Yeah, stone her to death for having an affair but let the man go free because he says he didn\'t have sex with her. Let\'s all chip in to get him a paternity test. Sick, demented, twisted, backward society! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

druid
08-20-2003, 01:04 PM
man and I thought the middle east was a fcked up place! that woman\'s country makes the middle east look like mr.roger\'s neigborhood.

CJ01
08-20-2003, 01:09 PM
yeah Elena- spunk,go and deny, the usual procedure.

druid Africa´s where female circumcision is being practiced. Some mentally disturbed a$$hole came up with this idea. He must have read Marquis de Sade or something UGH YUCK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

druid
08-20-2003, 01:36 PM
from what I understand female circumscision is also practiced lot in the arab world. especially in Egypt.

xvs
08-24-2003, 05:27 AM
I don\'t know if that site is genuine or fake.

Look at this message from Amnesty:

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAFR440132003?open&amp;of=ENG-NGA (\"http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGAFR440132003?open&amp;of=ENG-NGA\")

Amnesty International will continue to publicly call on the Federal Government to abolish the death penalty and amend all legislation introducing cruel, inhuman and degrading punishments at all levels of the Nigerian legislation, including the Sharia Penal Legislation. However, the organization does not wish to interfere in the judicial process in the case of Amina Lawal and does not recommend carrying out any international campaign specifically on her case at this point in time.

CJ01
08-24-2003, 06:56 AM
I´d assumed the link was from AI, thanks though for thie info. I guess signing it won´t have hurt anyone though, even if it´s not from AI...?

PS I do think it´s real.

Sagacious1420
09-24-2003, 12:38 PM
Court decision expected Thursday. But perhaps all is not lost.

\"President Olusegun Obasanjo...a Christian like about 40 percent of Nigerians, has said he expected the Supreme Court would overturn the case. But he declined to step in to halt the process, evidently weighing the political backlash, and the possibility that sectarian violence would again flare in the West African Nation. Muslims make up at least 50 percent of Nigeria’s population.\"

But we\'re not out of the woods, yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Elana
09-25-2003, 04:00 AM
Nigeria Acquits Woman Sentenced to Stoning Death

KATSINA, Nigeria (Sept. 25) - A single mother facing death by stoning for adultery was acquitted Thursday by an Islamic appeals court in northern Nigeria in a case that sparked international outrage.

Getty Images
Amina Lawal in March 2003 with her daughter Wasila

A five-judge panel rejected Amina Lawall\'s conviction in March 2002, saying she was not given \'\'ample opportunity to defend herself.\'\'

If the sentence had been carried out, the 32-year-old single mother would have been the first woman stoned to death since 12 northern states first began adopting strict Islamic law, or Shariah, in 1999.

In an hour-long hearing, the panel said Lawal was not caught in the act of adultery and wasn\'t given enough time to understand the charges against her.

It also cited procedural errors, including that only one judge was present at her initial conviction, instead of the three required under Islamic law.

The case had drawn sharp criticism from international rights groups. Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo\'s government and world leaders had called for Lawal to be spared. Last week, Brazil even offered her asylum.

Lawal appeared calm and composed as she entered the courthouse wrapped in a light orange veil and cradling her nearly 2-year-old daughter, Wasila. She was immediately surrounded by a crush of photographers and television cameramen.

\'\'I\'m OK. I\'m just hoping for the best,\'\' she said before the trial started.

Few believed the brutal sentence - in which Lawal would have been buried up to her neck in sand and executed by stoning - would be carried out.

\'\'We think the death penalty for adultery is contrary to the Nigerian constitution,\'\' said Francois Cantier, a lawyer with French group Avocats Sans Frontieres, or Lawyers Without Borders, who advised the defense. He also said the punishment would violate international treaties against torture.

Lawal was first convicted in March 2002 following the birth of her daughter two years after she divorced her husband.

Judges rejected Lawal\'s first appeal in August 2002.

Lawal remained free pending a final verdict and judges had promised she would not be executed until she finishes breast-feeding her baby in January 2004.

09-25-03 0656EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the

Elana
09-25-2003, 05:55 AM
Amina Lawal won\'t be stoned
25/09/2003 12:42 - (SA)

Katsina, Nigeria - An Islamic court in this northern Nigerian city on
Thursday acquitted single mother Amina Lawal, who had been sentenced to
death by stoning for adultery.

In a split verdict, a panel of five judges at the Sharia Appeal Court found
in favour of the 31-year-old mother of four at her second bid to get the
sentence lifted.

But the dispute over northern Nigeria\'s reintroduction of Shari\'ah law will
not disappear with the acquittal of its most famous defendant.

Since the end of military rule in the west African state in 1999, a dozen
mainly-Muslim states have brought back elements of Shari\'ah into their penal
codes, a move which has increased tensions between Muslim and Christian
communities.

Obasanjo, a Christian wary of offending Muslims who make up half of
Nigeria\'s 126-million-strong population, stood by as the states brought back
stoning for sex crimes and hand-chopping for thieves.

When Lawal and at least two more divorcees were condemned for bearing
children out of wedlock, and their sentences made international headlines,
his response was simply to promise they would be cleared on appeal.

But within Nigeria, Christian groups and rights activists are furious that
he has not used the option given him by Nigeria\'s 1999 constitution to
challenge a law code they believe violates fundamental freedoms.

They accuse the government of at best turning a blind eye to what they see
as a creeping Islamisation of parts of Nigeria, an ethnically and
religiously diverse federation.

\"Our experience is that government is indirectly forcing Shari\'ah on all
Nigerians and infringing on the rights of non-Muslims resident in the
north,\" said Father Emmanuel Badejo for the Roman Catholic church.

Badejo cited last month\'s decree in the northern state of Kano that
schoolgirls should wear Muslim headscarves.

\"In Kano, young schoolgirls are forced to wear the hijab, even if it is
against their wish. No Nigerian should be made to feel cheated or
discriminated against,\" he said.

It is not clear whether schools are enforcing the dress code on Christian
girls.

EXIT63
09-25-2003, 06:39 AM
I still don\'t understand what the big deal is. Stoning, hand chopping, veils. Big Whoop!

Just convert already and get it over with. I have.

Mecca-----&gt; that way-----&gt;.

Holmes
09-25-2003, 06:43 AM
All the kneeling, though--murder on the knees. Mine are gone.

Holmes

Kari
09-25-2003, 06:44 AM
Thanks much for this! Friends and I have been following it.

BTW- Sharia law applies equally to the men, but evidenciary laws don\'t. Ain\'t that a bitch? All the guy has to do is say, \"I didn\'t pork the lady,\" or, \"It ain\'t my kid.\"

No DNA tests, or even the old-fashioned blood test. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Elana
09-25-2003, 06:50 AM
Yep. The guy that impregnated her just denied it and he was set free.

Exit....now you are safe. You did the right thing. I\'ll go look for my veil.

EXIT63
09-25-2003, 06:52 AM
DEATH TO THE INFIDELS!!!

Elana
09-25-2003, 06:54 AM
Go hook yourself up with 78 virgins

Holmes
09-25-2003, 06:59 AM
Go hook yourself up with 78 virgins

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Polygamy. Such a civilized concept.

Holmes

EXIT63
09-25-2003, 07:01 AM
Can\'t talk now...Gotta run by the store and pick up a boxcutter, then head to the airport.

PRAISE ALLAH!

Kari
09-25-2003, 07:06 AM
Never met a man who could HANDLE more than one woman, and do a good job of it.

Holmes
09-25-2003, 07:07 AM
Can\'t talk now...Gotta run by the store and pick up a boxcutter, then head to the airport.

PRAISE ALLAH!

While you\'re there, I need: A quart of milk, a loaf of bread, a stick of butter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

A boxcutter? What does that have to do with the airport?

Holmes

Icarus
09-25-2003, 07:13 AM
Never met a man who could HANDLE more than one woman, and do a good job of it.

Correct. Most of them (us, I suppose) mess up with just one.

As someone very dear to me once said:

\"Good Morning\"

And I think you know where I\'m going with this.

Steve

CJ01
09-25-2003, 08:52 AM
I heard it on the car radio and I´m relieved!

The stoning procedure looks as follows: The one making the accusations gets to go first, then the barrister and the JUDGE!!!!!!!! After they´ve had a go the rest of the village carries on with the stoning until the person´s dead!

Totally sickening!

A woman shags some bloke after divorcing her husband, geets pregnant, bloke denies being the father. Jesus f*cking christ, there would be hardly any women left on this planet if all women who have kids being married were murdered!
And this guy who´s denied being the father of this child - how much did he get for selling his spine, assuming he ever had one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

How can you be accused of adultery when you´re not married anyway?

Sagacious1420
09-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Elana-
Thanks for the posts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif