PDA

View Full Version : OT subject.

DZorro
07-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Recently i bought norton internet security, and after that i continue to have problems to reply to posts and post new posts, the only way i could reply to a post was to disable Norton internet Security, but is there another way to leave my security systems on and post here at the same time ???

DZorro,

tallmacky
07-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Norton Anti-virus in all now comes with the usual Anti-virus program, and more recently a firewall.

A firewall is used to disable and stop many of the attacks that can come from outside forces (hackers) and also keeps from things inside from effecting your system (spyware). If you have a router you really do not need this utility much unless you do not want your system sending out anything.

The main cause of this is the firewall, and even more the firewalls settings. I am guessing it is on pretty high especially for the cookie settings. I think you need to go under options and look for \"cookie settings\" or any \"web filtering\". Make a custom setting for cookies, or set it to a low setting.

If this continues to bother you, I highly suggest using Zonealarm as a software firewall, it is very very easy for anyone to use. A very clear and easy to use interface and it is also ranked as the #1 firewall.

Andy
07-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Some desktop firewalls might be very easy to use, but all desktop firewalls are very useless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

tallmacky
07-26-2003, 02:40 PM
The truth is most people have very little use or need for a firewall. The amount of true hackers out there is very little and their want to fool with your system is very low, you are not hand selected usually it\'s just a matter of chance. Most common users have been meant to think there is a virus around every corner and a hacking trying to steal all their information. The truth is far from that. Keep the anti-virus and you can go without the firewall.

proteus
07-26-2003, 02:58 PM
If you\'re on a cable modem type setup, a firewall is mandatory IMO - if you\'re on dialup it usually is unnecessary since you\'re ISP\'s firewall should be sufficient. Also, if you use any good firewall software out there such as Blackice you\'ll be surprised at just how many hackers/hacker wannabees are out there scanning for vulnerable systems without firewalls. On any given day you can have scores of scans of your system and attempts at penetration so this risk is not to be minimized. I\'ve seen this both on my personal computers (and on our networks at work where we\'ve seen some really outstanding hacking attempts that actually cost us a lot of money). So this hacker threat from my experience is real and don\'t underestimate the patience or skill of these folks.

Now to get to your question, take a look at your firewall ruleset and see if it allows you to allow/disallow specific sites etc. - if need be call up the tech support and ask their help in configuring this as it gets a little complicated. And yeah, ZoneAlarm is pretty good. Right now I\'m using Sygate on two of my pcs and Blackice on the others but I\'ve used zone alarm and it\'s pretty decent.

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
The truth is most people have very little use or need for a firewall. The amount of true hackers out there is very little and their want to fool with your system is very low, you are not hand selected usually it\'s just a matter of chance. Most common users have been meant to think there is a virus around every corner and a hacking trying to steal all their information. The truth is far from that. Keep the anti-virus and you can go without the firewall.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

tallmacky
07-26-2003, 03:11 PM
Most of the many netscans and such are performed by your own ISP trying to scan and maintain order. Some even run scans to make sure none of their users are doing things such as running ftp servers and such. The amount of easily accessible computers and hackers are so dispropotionally numbered that I don\'t feel there is a great risk for a average desktop user, but that doesn\'t mean you shouldn\'t take proteus advice (and good advice it is).

bundyburger
07-26-2003, 05:18 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
...So this hacker threat from my experience is real and don\'t underestimate the patience or skill of these folks.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

This isn\'t scare mongering folks.

For every ISP, there are a dozen (or even many dozens of) bored little smart asses who think it will be cool to break into someone elses computer. They don\'t have to be geniuses to do it either. The softwares freely available to do it.

belgareth
07-26-2003, 06:10 PM
These guys are right. I run into it all the time. Both my private network and th networks I manage for other people. The log files are amazing with the number of hits from these jackasses.