PDA

View Full Version : Reading women's magazines

manchorito
07-17-2003, 07:22 AM
Would reading womens\' magazines be a good way to get in their head and know what makes them \"tick\"? Does anybody do this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whitehall
07-17-2003, 08:36 AM
The one thing you will NOT get from reading women\'s magazines is increased respect for women. which is not to say they don\'t deserve respect - its just that women\'s magazine won\'t give you the right ideas.

Women think differently from men and have different value structures - you just won\'t get it. Leave their communications to them.

CJ01
07-17-2003, 09:03 AM
manchorito, to tell the truth it would be a waste of money to buy those mags. You could go and get one and check it out if you really want but you will not find what you´re looking for!

Even though I´m a woman I stopped buying them years ago because I realized they´re a waste of money. First of all they consist mostly of adverts - you know fashion and perfume stuff and they hardly ever contain material that´s of real interest - at least to me.
All that man/woman stuff is rubbish, luckily I realized this too before I even left school.

You are very unlikely to ever find out what `makes women tick´ because every person is an individual and has their own ways of thinking etc.
If you have a gf try to get to know her and not the rest of the female population instead.
If men realized women are human beings and simply treated them as such, things would be a lot easier -for all !!!!
And the same goes for some women too btw who throw all men in the same pot as well it´s just as dumb.

CJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icarus
07-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Right on!

(the \'position of the month\' is usually entertaining though...)

C\'moan the Badgers!

Steve

CptKipling
07-17-2003, 11:33 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Would reading womens\' magazines be a good way to get in their head and know what makes them \"tick\"? Does anybody do this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Go to:

www.askmen.com (\"http://www.askmen.com\")

and look at Doc Love\'s articles, those are pretty good. The rest you can figure out from observing women carefully with a little background knowledge.

Skyy
07-17-2003, 12:00 PM
The only time I ever pick up a womans magazine is if I see a hot chick in there or a girl a like etc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CJ01
07-17-2003, 01:03 PM
(the \'position of the month\' is usually entertaining though...)

hehe, most of the mags don´t have this though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CJ01
07-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Go to:

and look at Doc Love\'s articles, those are pretty good. The rest you can figure out from observing women carefully with a little background knowledge.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif No please don´t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif don´t bother with those type of things, they´re much worse even. In fact you would be better off reading womens mags.

CJ

Whitehall
07-17-2003, 01:52 PM
If I do pick one up, it\'s just to look at the photos. I remember one photo-essay on \"Is my butt fat?\"

Loved it!

DaVinciKittie
07-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Go to:

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif No please don´t /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif don´t bother with those type of things, they´re much worse even. In fact you would be better off reading womens mags.

CJ

Thank you, CJ. My sentiments exactly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ThE_DeAd_KoBy
07-17-2003, 06:14 PM
I learned lots about the difference in the ways men and women communicate is school psychology... that\'s where I learned what women look for when the \"check out\" a guy... Guess what, your hair and your bulge in your shorts isn\'t what they look for most... Between sociology, psychology, and some body language studies, I learned lots. This is not to say that I\'m some kind of ultra stud, but I have been able to comprehend a woman\'s signals better than before....

krtel
07-17-2003, 06:27 PM
If you want to understand women, I suggest \"The System\" by Doc Love. I\'ve never had a clear perception of women until now.

- Krish

krtel
07-17-2003, 06:31 PM
Go to:

CJ

Are you kidding me? Both Doc Love\'s articles and \"The System\" have helped me very much. Are guys supposed to learn by getting \"burned\" with trial and error? I think not. One thing is for sure, I for one am very tired of being \"burned\". No matter what, there will always be a fire that I risk getting burned by, but I now know how to tame the flame and avoid being burned to begin with. Trial and error is just not the way to learn.

- Krish

ThE_DeAd_KoBy
07-17-2003, 08:17 PM
I think that \"The System\" is almost a training guide in manipulation... I prefer to have the tool box, and just go to work, rather than a detailed instruction set....

Charisma
07-17-2003, 09:33 PM
If I do pick one up, it\'s just to look at the photos. I remember one photo-essay on \"Is my butt fat?\"

Loved it!

9 out of 10 times the answer is \"YES!\". Why do they bother us men every single time with those stupid questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CJ01
07-18-2003, 01:45 AM
I don´t ask ever. If my bum isn´t `good enough´ for a certain man he can go and find another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif . There´s lotsa other guys who´d like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif .
Besides women tend to have bigger bums, and it´s sexy! With mens it´s a little different I guess. CJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

krtel
07-18-2003, 06:36 AM
Well, whatever floats your boat. Unfortunately, for me, trial-and-error sinks my boat.

- Krish

CJ01
07-18-2003, 11:55 AM
yo babe, that´s what life is about isn´t it? What´s that saying : learning by doing. Do you think you men are the only ones who get burned? That´s just the way it´s meant to be, for everyone. I´m glad though if you think all this junk helped you to `understand women` I hope it does actually help you out when it really comes down to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This reminds me again why, a time ago I stopped giving advice and trying to help out the guys. They just don´t listen ( to women) and only take the easy and lazy route.
Guys ask other guys about women and wonder why they aren´t `successful´. They ought to ask other women and then they don´t like what they hear because .... well whatever.....

I´m gonna stop trying to help out againa waste of time because people ( males in particular) don´t really want to learn at all.

I think I´m gonna try and go bi again.... hmmmmmm this time I just might go through with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DaVinciKittie
07-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Well, after enough crashing and burning, and numerous slaps later (b/c I find the Doc Love \"advice\" insulting), they\'ll probably realize they should\'ve listened to us to begin with. Live and learn, right? &lt;shrugs&gt; Seems to me that the men who really know what\'s up around here are the married ones. Could that possibly be because to make those marriages work they actually have to *listen* to their partners and take their opinions and wishes into account? Nah, that couldn\'t be it, b/c according to Doc Love, you should *never* listen to a woman\'s advice on women. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

CJ01
07-18-2003, 01:38 PM
sounds like the guy´s a tosser, just like the jeffries guy.
Sad, sad, sad....
Well, I do appear to be kinda popular with women every now and then... like I said .. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
CJ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

FrancisBegbie
07-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Well, whatever floats your boat. Unfortunately, for me, trial-and-error sinks my boat.

- Krish

I agree with you completely onthis. Ive been reading alot of the good doctor\'s articles lately and I have to say that hes got womens behavior down prettty good. The problem nowadays is that most of the stuff that he advices is seen as not being politically correct. You watch any romantic movie today and youll see how if the guy is very sweet, vulnerable and adoring to a woman he will have her forever. Thatt is the kind of crap that the media as well as those self help magazines tell you. Whatt they dont tell you is that if any man behaved like tthat in real life witha girl...sooner or later she would get tired of itt and come up with some bulls-h-i-t excuse to get rid of him....Most importanttly girls play games and are conniving as well...FDating to them is a game and until now theyve held the reigns and controlled every aspect of it....until now....I am in theprocess of ordering his system...and I really think every man can benefit from it....

CJ01
07-18-2003, 02:41 PM
oh no, not another one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DaVinciKittie
07-18-2003, 02:47 PM
CJ, it\'s not worth it. I think I\'ll just retreat back to the Women\'s Forum again, and leave these guys to flounder on their own- it\'s what they want anyway. Wanna come?

franki
07-18-2003, 02:51 PM
It is true about the romantic Movies!! If a guy would act like the guys in some of those movies he wouldn\'t get anywhere with girls.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Not surprising if you realise they are made for women and couples to watch.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FrancisBegbie
07-18-2003, 02:54 PM
This is an article taken from www.askmen.com (\"http://www.askmen.com\") and it is by the good doc. In it he replies a lettter from one of tthe many disgruntled females thjat have written him...

Dear Doc Love,
As a single, attractive, dating female, I\'ve been reading your articles -- and I protest.

There are so many wonderful, beautiful and kind-souled single women in San Diego County who would love to meet a great guy to date and have a real relationship with. But you are misleading men by telling them to play \"hard to get,\" and you\'re only contributing to more animosity and misunderstandings between men and women. The last thing we need around here is more men who play games.

I took your article Wait A Week To Call to my women\'s support group and they all just laughed! \"What is he trying to do, teach men to be conniving toward women? That\'s what our mothers told us to do!\"
Teaching men to use a \"strategy\" as you do in \"The System\" takes all of the real excitement out of dating and meeting someone of real substance. If you told a man from back East to use manipulative strategies as you recommend, he\'d laugh in your face. Real men go after what they want and don\'t have to play passive-aggressive games. Guys who take your advice must be real losers anyway!

If I met a man I was attracted to at a party, and he took my number and didn\'t call me for a week, I\'d think he was going through his list, and I happened to be the booby prize because no one else wanted him.

A real man would call the next day and at least show he was interested as soon as possible. Then he could make the date for next week or whenever. But at least he was manly enough to be Tarzan to my Jane. If he wants to be Jane, then I wouldn\'t want him anyway!

If you guys just want to chase the same big boobed, Southern Californian beauties, then of course, stand in line for a letdown no matter when you call. If you really want a kindred spirit to love and be with, then forget the contrived strategies and step up to the plate!

We need some real men around here.

LeeAnn -- who says: \"Print this if you dare!\"

doc love\'s answer

Dear LeeAnn,

Is that the best you can come up with? I see by the way you communicate why you wind up at the bottom of the list.

I have to thank you, LeeAnn, because you have provided us with yet another great example of why you can\'t find out what women want by asking them. If you and your girlfriends were able to be truly objective about your inner needs and desires, then you wouldn\'t be trying to make a mockery of my \"wait a week to call\" strategy.

Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 |
Today\'s Articles

&lt;&lt; Previous Page
007, double yes!

LeeAnn, imagine that you had gone to a cocktail party where you had met a successful, handsome gentleman who was a dead ringer for Pierce Brosnan. The two of you made a nice connection and he asked you for your phone number.

Then you found yourself thinking about him, hoping that he would call to ask you out. Would you blow him off when he called you seven days later? Or would you be delighted that he finally called, and be eager to see him? Would you say to him: \"I\'m sorry guy, you waited more than 24 hours to call me and that means that you aren\'t a real man, so no thank you.\" Give me a break!

The truth is that you\'d be saying, \"Yes, I\'d love to go out with you\" faster than Rosie O\'Donnell can gobble up a cream tart. And why would you be saying \"yes\" so readily and enthusiastically? Because you had, what I call, High Interest in your James Bond look-alike. Your Interest Level [degree of love] in him was 79% or so from the get-go. But when he waited a week to call you, your Interest Level moved even higher into the low 80s.

a real man

You see, LeeAnn, in my hypothetical scenario, you already liked him a lot, but when he took his time to call you, you perceived him as an even more intriguing guy who has a full life and isn\'t desperately hoping to find some woman to make him happy. Someone who is a REAL -- \"real man.\"

Yes LeeAnn, you\'d see him as a Challenge [allowing the woman to chase you]. And whether you know it or not, that\'s what you respond to on an emotional level -- a guy who is a Challenge. Not some needy, eager to please, politically correct nincompoop who is seeking your approval by calling you the next day.

If I had an opportunity to use my interviewing techniques on you, I\'m certain that I\'d discover that the last guy you fell in love with was, in some fundamental way, a Challenge. Hopefully it wasn\'t a married man who saw you only twice a month.

You and your girlfriends say that I\'m teaching men to be conniving women. Well, I couldn\'t have said it better myself. If fathers would teach their sons to be a little more conniving, then the war of the sexes might be a bit more of a fair fight instead of manslaughter.

But your mothers were wasting their time teaching you to be conniving. As a woman, it\'s already built into you. Women have an innate understanding of men, but men don\'t understand women at all. Or as Jack Nicholson once said: \"Women, they\'re smarter than us, they\'re stronger than us, and they don\'t play fair.\" But when my guys use \"The System,\" they\'re finally able to out-game and out-gun you gals.

And you think that my strategies are manipulative? I\'ll tell you LeeAnn -- if any one of my guys has the self-sabotaging habit of calling a potential date 24 hours after getting her number, then I have to break him of that habit. He needs to learn to use a success strategy rather than a failure strategy, so I give him rules and principles to follow. Call it manipulative if you like, but you do yourself and all men a great disservice by disparaging my advice.

passive aggression

I\'ll agree with you on one thing. My philosophy is passive/aggressive but only in a positive sense. I show men that there is a time to be aggressive and there is a time to be passive. A man takes aggressive action by, for instance, being sure to always ask a woman whom he\'s interested in for her phone number. Then he\'s passive when he waits a week to call her, and then he\'s aggressive again when he calls her for the date. But he doesn\'t rush in like a dog in heat.

And LeeAnn, why are you so resentful towards your skinny sisters who have large breasts, long legs, thick lips, and high cheekbones? I\'m sure that many of them are nice people who deserve love just as much as you do. Taking a kinder and gentler attitude towards all humankind might serve you well.

Remember, guys, women are dying to chase you, they just don\'t realize it.

NOW I PERSONALLY DONTT SEE ANYTHING SCUMBAGGISH ABOUT HIS ADVICE...Now Ross Jeffries, hes a scumbag....

CJ01
07-18-2003, 02:55 PM
yeah I know...I´m such a softie though sometimes - wait for me I´m coming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif CJ

DaVinciKittie
07-18-2003, 03:15 PM
FB, there are *many* things both misleading and incorrect in that article. I am not going to attempt to argue them b/c no matter what I (or the other women) say, it will always loop back around to this same frame of mind- women are mean and manipulative and the poor defenseless men must put them in their place or risk getting trampled. We had a VERY similar \'conversation\' (I put it in quotes b/c it was not nearly civilized enough to be called a conversation) not too long ago on the Copulins thread. It ended up the same way. No matter what we say, you\'ll always find some bit of the good Doc\'s advice to use as an excuse about why we\'re wrong. He\'s actually very clever that way. Did you notice how the article he chose to present (anyone wanna make bets on whether or not that letter was REALLY sent to him, and if it was, how much it was doctored?) from a woman reader started off well enough, but became argumentative and rude when it got to the part about his \"System\"? He wants all of you guys to read that and then get defensive enough to purchase it for yourself- gotta show those women how wrong they are! It is NOT ok to wait a week before you call a woman, especially if you are really interested in her. What that tells the woman is that you weren\'t really interested in her all that much to begin with, and she\'s not worth your time until you have nothing better to do. Maybe YOU do not see it that way, but I guarantee you that SHE does. If a guy did that to me, I might go out with him, but I\'d sure as hell have my guard up. He\'d have to work a lot harder to earn my trust and respect than if he\'d shown me that he was interested initially. But Doc Love, who professes to understand women thoroughly, doesn\'t mention *that*. No, he makes it seem as though the woman is trying to control you and that you\'re weak if you show interest. &lt;shrugs&gt; Whatever, dude. If you want to believe that, then be my guest, but one day (soon, if you\'re lucky) you\'re going to realize that all these games are bullsh!t and *real*, *successful* relationships are built on honesty and respect.

Paste all the articles you want. Debate it among yourselves until you\'re blue in the face. I\'m sick of trying to help you guys. If you haven\'t gotten it by now, then you\'re on your own. Good luck!

krtel
07-18-2003, 05:45 PM
The reason I reject advice from the female perspective is because I\'ve noticed a lot of girls my age don\'t know what they want. They say \"I want a nice guy.\" but end up in bed with the complete opposite. It\'s harder and a hell of a lot more painful for a guy to learn by trial-and-error since we face 90% of the rejection by having to put our ego and confidence on the line. What I\'ve learned from the pages I\'ve read in The System would have taken me several years of heart-ache to learn. I\'ve already put it to work for me too, his advice really works - I\'m living proof of it.

- Krish

DaVinciKittie
07-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Hey Krish, here\'s your cookie back. It doesn\'t taste so good anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

krtel
07-18-2003, 09:11 PM
So be it. I\'m who I am, like me or not. Good night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Krish

xxxPantero
07-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Well, if you go to the ASKMEN.com FORUM, many of the members say they don\'t like \"The System\"

Whatever... each girl is different. Using NLP will get you certain types of girls, using the system will get you another. But learning all you want about women and being yourself will get you the ones that are right for you.

Just a little food for thought.

furburger
07-21-2003, 04:40 PM
I personally do not understand why there is game play to begin with. The cat and mouse game. Pickup stratagies? Techniques? Why not just get out there, be yourself, have fun and find someone. People go out and spend all their money on expensive clothes, jewelry,make-up,cars etc.to lure someone in. But in the end you take all that stuff off and its you and only you. And that is what your trophy will see and judge. The same with the system, eventually you will be found out once the game turns to a relationship.

Holmes
07-21-2003, 07:43 PM
I agree. Well said. All that stuff--the facade--shouldn\'t matter. It\'s bull$hit. But it just does matter in many situations--in the beginning, at least.

It\'s kinda like what the main character says in that movie \"The Tao Of Steve\": \"You can\'t just go up to a woman and say, \'Hey, I\'m Dave! I like hangin\' out, smoking pot, and reading the sports page on the john...wanna have sex with me?\'\" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Holmes

krtel
07-21-2003, 08:09 PM
Yeah, don\'t we all wish that stuff didn\'t matter. Unfortunately, it does. It always will. Even after the initial stage of a relationship. The romance has to be kept alive in a relationship by both, the male and the female, otherwise it will fall. Hence the 50% divorce rate. I\'m sorry to say, that *most* of the time, it\'s the guys who fail to keep the romance alive. Most women don\'t marry just to get divorced ya know! I don\'t know about you, but I only want one woman and once I find this special woman, I never want to lose her - so I want to do everything that I know I could possibily do to keep my woman happy. A large part of that is turning my ignorance of women into a clear understanding of women so I don\'t screw up with Ms. Right.

Now one can either sit there and complain about the way things are and the way they should be, or accept reality and plan ahead, thus avoiding peril.

- Krish

Holmes
07-21-2003, 08:21 PM
\"Most women don\'t marry just to get divorced ya know!\"

Well, according to Gene $Immons, they do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course, that guy\'s got a pretty strange take on things...

Holmes

Sexyredhead
07-22-2003, 04:34 AM
Gene Simmons:

Ughhh! Now that guy\'s just disgusting.

Holmes
07-22-2003, 05:05 AM
LOL. He is indeed. I for one don\'t completely get that guy.

Elana
07-22-2003, 05:11 AM
Gene Simmons:

Ughhh! Now that guy\'s just disgusting.

I love him!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I am a big time KISS fan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Elana
07-22-2003, 05:20 AM
and that tongue........phew

Sexyredhead
07-22-2003, 05:24 AM
I like KISS as well, but have you ever heard Gene TALK? The guy oozes slime. He\'s jaded, cynical, and very patronizing, on top of thinking the entire world should worship him.

That just doesn\'t do it for me. lol

Elana
07-22-2003, 05:27 AM
Who cares about his nasty personality......have you seen that tongue? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sexyredhead
07-22-2003, 05:30 AM
There\'s gotta be a better guy out there with a tongue like that. lol There just HAS to be.

Holmes
07-22-2003, 05:38 AM
Yeah, actually I was a huge fan, too. Saw them four times throughout the (very late) 70s and 80s. Hell, it was Peter Criss who made me want to become a drummer in the first place. And I do still like some of their earlier stuff. But I just read Simmons\' latest book and gotta say that I found a couple of his views to be a little...eccentric ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I do agree with some of his business-related viewpoints, but the other stuff...hmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Holmes

Holmes
07-22-2003, 05:41 AM
Who cares about his nasty personality......have you seen that tongue? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Point taken, point taken. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Gerund
07-22-2003, 08:02 AM

And, in a related story, a surgical team just completed the world\'s first tongue transplant. No kidding. Check out the news section on today\'s home page for Yahoo. (Hope this doesn\'t spark a new trend!)

EXIT63
07-24-2003, 05:05 AM
I like the fact that they merchandise everything. I mean EVERYTHING! I can\'t wait to receive my 800 dollar KISS Casino Chips!

http://www.kissonline.net/kissarmydepot/index.php (\"http://www.kissonline.net/kissarmydepot/index.php\")

EXIT63
07-24-2003, 05:06 AM
Bunch of money grubbing SELLOUTS!

Holmes
07-24-2003, 07:22 AM
Hey, what do you mean, SELLOUTS?! Your dollars make sense in my pocket, you know.

Gene $immons

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif