PDA

View Full Version : Favorite recipes

Pages : [1] 2

Elana
07-03-2003, 07:45 AM
I got this out of Food and Wine (my all time favorite mag.)about 6-7 years ago. It is so simple to make, has very few ingredients, looks lovely and tastes fantastic. I serve it over pasta.

Honey-Rosemary Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes
4 SERVINGS

8 garlic cloves, sliced 1/8 inch thick
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 boneless chicken breast halves, with skin
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons honey
1 pint cherry tomatoes
Ten 4-inch fresh rosemary sprigs
1 or 2 small dried hot chiles
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1. Preheat the oven to 425°. In a 9-by-13-inch enameled cast-iron or glass baking dish, toss the garlic with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes, or until sizzling but not browned.

2. Place the chicken on a sheet of wax paper, skin side down. Season with salt and pepper and spread with half of the honey. Remove the dish from the oven and push the garlic to the side. Arrange the chicken breasts in the hot dish, skin side up. Season with salt and pepper and spread with the remaining honey.

3. Surround the chicken with the cherry tomatoes, 6 of the rosemary sprigs and the dried chiles. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil on top and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 25 minutes, occasionally basting with the pan juices, until the chicken is cooked through. Transfer the chicken, tomatoes, and garlic to plates. Stir the vinegar into the baking dish and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Garnish each serving with a rosemary sprig.

seadove
07-03-2003, 09:30 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Salt and freshly ground pepper

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Precisely one quarter tea-spoon of each.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

upsidedown
07-03-2003, 09:41 AM
Here\'s the recipe I\'m best at preparing.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich.

Get two slices of bread.

Using a knife, spread peanut butter on one slice of bread. Spread jelly on the other slice of bread.

Place the two slices together with the peanut butter and the jelly on the inside of the sandwich.

The sandwich can be eaten whole, but it is usually a nice touch to cut the sandwich into two pieces. My preference is to cut the sandwich diagonally.

Here\'s the recipe for my lunch that I was preparing while typing this post. I\'ll copy the instructions off the side of the box.

Grilled Chicken Breast and Pasta.

Remove dinner from freezer.

Remove frozen dinner from the cardboard box.

Cut slit in center of film cover.

Microwave on HIGH 4 to 6 1/2 minutes.

Let stand 1 to 2 minutes in microwave oven.

CAREFULLY remove tray and film cover as PRODUCT WILL BE HOT; stir pasta before serving.

- - - - - - -

OK Elana, I\'m through hijacking your serious thread. Now that it\'s out of my system, it won\'t happen again.

Elana
07-03-2003, 09:46 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifPoor, hungry USD. How about SRH and I cook you something really tasty for dinner. We will serve it to you in bed. Any special requests?

upsidedown
07-03-2003, 09:49 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifPoor, hungry USD. How about SRH and I cook you something really tasty for dinner. We will serve it to you in bed. Any special requests?

Your choice. Beggars can\'t be choosy.

I promise I won\'t complain no matter what you decide on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Elana
07-03-2003, 09:54 AM
CRAB WONTONS

8 oz. package cream cheese
4 scallions minced
1 LB. pasteurized Crab Meat
Wonton Squares
a few shakes of the Worcestershire sauce
a few shakes of Tabasco
salt, pepper

Mix everything together (minus the wontons) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Place a teaspoon of filling in center of wonton square. Moisten the four corners and fold in and seal.

Fry in oil @ about 375 until golden and crisp.
<font color=\"purple\">Serve with Plum Sauce </font>

These are outstanding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

upsidedown
07-03-2003, 09:57 AM

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And look, you had an excuse to post another favorite recipe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Elana
07-03-2003, 09:59 AM
And look, you had an excuse to post another favorite recipe!

Ummmmmm....I kind of think that is the point of the thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sexyredhead
07-03-2003, 12:57 PM
CRAB WONTONS

8 oz. package cream cheese
4 scallions minced
1 LB. pasteurized Crab Meat
Wonton Squares
a few shakes of the Worcestershire sauce
a few shakes of Tabasco
salt, pepper

Mix everything together (minus the wontons) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Place a teaspoon of filling in center of wonton square. Moisten the four corners and fold in and seal.

Fry in oil @ about 375 until golden and crisp.
<font color=\"purple\">Serve with Plum Sauce </font>

I love you.

I\'ve been looking for a good wonton recipe. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Eventually, when I go home, I will post my fave recipes. Till then, I must work--probably late. *sigh*
Feel sorry for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tallmacky
07-03-2003, 01:53 PM
It\'s 2003 forget the kitchen girls.

Elana
07-03-2003, 03:56 PM
I\'ve been looking for a good wonton recipe. Thanks!

You will love these. They are better than anything you get at Chinese restaurants. Get the good crab. It\'s expensive but makes a ton of filling. These can be fried and frozen too.

EXIT63
07-03-2003, 06:05 PM
Ummmmmm plum sauce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

koolking1
07-04-2003, 02:55 AM
Shrimp Etouffee (the person who originated this used a microwave to cook everything). I\'ve adopted it for regular cooking.

Ingredients

1/4 cup margarine (butter)
1/2 cup chopped green onion (scallions)
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup celery, diced (The pheromone connection)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (dried is fine, use less- perhaps a tablespoon)
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 pound cleaned shrimp
salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I prefer chipotle pepper powder and some Cajun seasoning, season according to your tastes)

Directions
1. In a 2 quart microwave safe dish (any old pan will work , just make sure it\'s big enough to hold the stuff), combine margarine (butter), onion, green onion, bell pepper, garlic and celery. Heat on High (medium on a regular stove) settings for 8 to 9 minutes.
2 Stir in parsley, tomato paste, soup, shrimp, salt, hot pepper sauce and cayenne. Heat on High setting (again, medium on the stovetop) for 5 minutes. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes until mixture thickens. Serve over white rice.

This is my review of the above recipe with suggested changes:

We love this one!!! Tastes great but admittedly, I kicked it up a bit by adding some Cajun seasoning and using chipotle seasoning instead of cayenne. I cooked this dish on the stove instead of the microwave (it scares me to microwave shrimp for 10 minutes!!) At any rate, I have a few tips to conserve money and ingredients. I don\'t use a lot of celery so I bought what I needed from a salad bar in the market (.37 cents versus $1.50 for a bunch of celery that will wind up in the garbage anyways)[well, maybe not anymore knowing what I\'ve learned on the forum]. Also, I use a toothpaste type squeeze thing of tomato paste (Amore Brand - supposedly the best) that\'s available usually at a supermarket near the other Italian sauces aisle - it costs more but saves you money in the long run as you keep what\'s unused in the fridge) . I use Thai rice as I prefer the taste (Nishan Brand, Jasmine that comes in a 4 lb sack and cooks up nicely if you follow the directions and is just about the right amount for this dish - 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, 1Tbsp butter - rice brand usually available in supermarkets). The cooking times remained about the same - seems like a bit too long for the shrimp but keep in mind that the addition of the soup (don\'t add water to the soup!!) cools the other stuff down so 10 more minutes of cooking still left the shrimp tender. We loved this so much we made it two nights in a row. The first night we had shrimp and large sea scallops (1 Lb total) and the second we had it with shrimp, large sea scallops, and swordfish cut into bite-size pieces (again, 1 Lb total) and substituted Cream of Shrimp soup. We both thought it was somewhat better with Cream of Chicken - also, used butter and not margarine as indicated in the original recipe. You can cook the rice first and just let it simmer while you do the other dish, pretty easy all in all after you get the vegetables chopped up and this dish is plenty for two people but if you are like us, it will be finished except maybe for a bit of rice.

Elana, will make your rosemary chicken dish sometime early next week. My ex used to make those wonton things with canned salmon and they were delicious, much better than the usual Chinese restaurant fare but I have tried to do it myself without success so I\'ll try your way also sometime soon - thanks!!!!

koolking1
07-04-2003, 02:59 AM
It might be 2003 but after you meet the woman of your dreams by using pheromones you better have something else up your sleeve to keep her - being a great cook is a big plus in everyone\'s mind, male or female!!!! My own feeling is that people who can really cook are also better in bed!!!

Elana
07-04-2003, 03:05 AM
My own feeling is that people who can really cook are also better in bed!!!

I agree with that. There is something special about a person that has a deep passion for food and sex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tallmacky
07-04-2003, 03:13 AM
I like Burger King sometimes, that\'s where I pick up all the fine ladies.

Sagacious1420
07-04-2003, 03:15 AM
My own feeling is that people who can really cook are also better in bed!!!

I agree with that. There is something special about a person that has a deep passion for food and sex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hmmmmmmmm...about 15 yrs. experience as a pro chef...Hmmmmmmm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Dinner at my place, ladies? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I\'ll pull something special from the cellar.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Elana
07-04-2003, 03:26 AM
Hmmmmmmmm...about 15 yrs. experience as a pro chef...Hmmmmmmm... Dinner at my place, ladies? I\'ll pull something special from the cellar....

Sounds excellent.....just invite Bel to make dessert and we have the perfect evening.

Sagacious1420- post a recipe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hungry
07-04-2003, 03:27 AM
Here\'s the recipe for my lunch that I was preparing while typing this post. I\'ll copy the instructions off the side of the box.

Grilled Chicken Breast and Pasta.

Remove dinner from freezer.

Err, does it really say \"Remove dinner from freezer\" on the box? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This is what I was preparing:

Sardine Salad Surprise!

2 handfuls of mixed leafy greens from packet
1 tin of sardines
Salad dressing. Any kind. LOTS of it. (I just used balsamic vinegar and olive oil)

Tastes like crap.

But those were the only ingredients I had left in my kitchen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

PS: The \"surprise\" is that I actually ate it.

Hungry

Elana
07-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Hungry...are you sure you don\'t have anything else that you can offer the ladies to munch on? If that\'s all you\'ve got, you will be eating your sardine salad alone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sagacious1420
07-04-2003, 03:38 AM
Elana-
Don\'t worry...I\'ll post a couple of things. I gotta hunt down the right box of discs. Maybe tomorrow. It\'s very late and I\'ve had a very long and bizarre day. But that\'s a story for another day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hungry
07-04-2003, 03:39 AM
Hungry...are you sure you don\'t have anything else that you can offer the ladies to munch on?

Actually, I think I have a stick of salami lying around somewhere. It\'s the hot kind. Do you like a hot salami, Elana? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hungry

Elana
07-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Hungry...are you sure you don\'t have anything else that you can offer the ladies to munch on?

Actually, I think I have a stick of salami lying around somewhere. It\'s the hot kind. Do you like a hot salami, Elana? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hungry

That sounds great....or we could BBQ. We\'ll need a steel rod so I can make beef Kababs. Do you have a steel rod, Hungry?

Hungry
07-04-2003, 03:58 AM
We\'ll need a steel rod so I can make beef Kababs. Do you have a steel rod, Hungry?

I can supply both the steel rod, and the beef. Dripping with plenty of tasty sauce.

What will you bring, Elana?

Hungry

Elana
07-04-2003, 04:03 AM
Hungry...you are getting me very hungry.

We may have to continue the menu planning by PM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belgareth
07-04-2003, 04:14 AM
Great on a cold blustery day:
Seafood Chowder:

2 8 ounce cans of baby long neck clams, finely minced. Seperate the juice and reserve aside.

Dredge clams in plenty of flour.

In a large heavy pot heat 4 tablespoons olive oil until it smells good, sauté the clams until the flour starts to brown.

Add 1 chopped large yellow onion and continue to sauté until onion starts to become clear.

Mix clam juice with enough light broth (chicken) to make 3 cups liquid amd add to pot. Stir thoroughly being careful to get all the stuff off the bottom.

Add
2-3 stalks sliced celery
5-6 medium young white potatos, diced small
1 medium carrot, diced
Approximately 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons tyme.
Enough milk to completely cover other ingredients

cover and simmer slowly over low heat for about 45 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Check and stir frequently, burns very easily!

Add 1/4 pound 30-40 count deviened and cleaned shrimp and 8 ounces small sliced portabello mushrooms.
Return to boil.
Add 1/2 pound cod or other white fish, cut into bite size cubes.
Return to boil
Add 1/4 pound small to medium scallops.
Return to boil.

Season to taste.

If you need to add more milk to insure all ingredients are covered, add slowly between other additions. If it needs thickening, use cornstarch.

Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. covered. Best served with hot sour dough bread.

belgareth
07-04-2003, 04:34 AM
It\'s 2003 forget the kitchen girls.

Cooking is high art, much like sex is. Most women who are great cooks are wonderful lovers. I hope the same applies to male cooks.

Of course if you like fast food, that\'s up to you. Ugh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

belgareth
07-04-2003, 05:02 AM
Elana,
Just for you. You\'ll need good curry powder, not the crud they sell in the grocery stores.

1 pound fresh lamb cut into pieces about the size of the end of your thumb.

Sprinkle meat heavily with curry powder then roll in flour. Saute in olive oil until it starts to brown. Add 3/4 of a medium chopped onion and cook another few minutes.

Add two cups light broth, 2 stalks celery, 5-6 cloves minced garlic, one teaspoon fresh ground pepper and a couple teaspoons curry powder. Simmer covered about 10-15 minutes.

Peel, remove seeds and dice 1 large cucumber and add to broth. Simmer covered about 30 minutes until the meat is tender. Thicken with rue as needed and add more curry powder to taste.

When simmering, check and stir as needed but keep the lid on as much as possible to retain the smell.

Serve over white rice.

Elana
07-04-2003, 05:06 AM
OMG!!!! YOU ARE SO THE MAN!!!
I bet that\'s what I am looking for. It is so far off from anything I have tried.

THANK YOU! I\'ll try it this weekend and let you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

belgareth
07-04-2003, 05:14 AM
OMG!!!! YOU ARE SO THE MAN!!!
I bet that\'s what I am looking for. It is so far off from anything I have tried.

THANK YOU! I\'ll try it this weekend and let you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It works well with Chicken or shrimp too. For shrimp, instead of putting the shrimp in at the beginning, add it the last ten minutes.

I hope you enjoy it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

EXIT63
07-04-2003, 06:10 AM
100% Jersey
100% Delicious

http://www.porkrollxpress.com/newstore/pages.cfm?ID=13 (\"http://www.porkrollxpress.com/newstore/pages.cfm?ID=13\")

koolking1
07-04-2003, 08:38 AM
ok, what do you call the dish with the curry powder? thanks

upsidedown
07-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Err, does it really say \"Remove dinner from freezer\" on the box? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OK, so I added a few instructions to the directions a bit. It is so important to prepare this meal correctly, I didn\'t want to leave open the possibility that anybody could make a mistake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Elana, the CRAB WONTONS you fixed me were excellent! You\'re an excellent cook! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

koolking1
07-04-2003, 08:49 AM
no, laughing, not you Upsidedown. I\'m looking for a recipe put out by Sunset books about 10 years or thereabouts ago for Pineapple Upsidedown cake. I\'ve even called Sunset Publishing and they really tried to help me to no avail. Anyone know of it?

BassMan
07-04-2003, 09:07 AM
Ah. I was going to post a curry recipe, but I see Bel got there first. I often make curry with goat. If you haven\'t tried it, it\'s a little milder than lamb, and quite interesting.

Hmmm. I just made oxtail soup -

I make this rather often, but this is the first time I have tried it with a crock-pot to precook the oxtails. It turned out well.

Put 2-4 pounds of beef oxtails into a crock-pot (depending on the size of the crock-pot). Oxtails are running $4 a pound here, so I used two pounds of oxtail and 4 pounds of beef bones. Add one thinly sliced onion, a couple of minced cloves of garlic, some salt and pepper, and a bay leaf. Add beer to barely cover the meat. Cover, set to low, let it simmer all day. I started the night before as I was going to bed, and let it cook on low until the next evening. You can’t really overcook it.

The next evening…

In a 5-quart Dutch oven, soften two thinly sliced onions in a little olive oil. Slice two stalks of celery and two carrots and add to the pot when the onions are soft. Let them cook slowly. Add more minced garlic if desired. I added two dried red pepper pods.

While the veggies are cooking, remove the meat from the crock-pot, de-bone it, add it to the soup pot. Add all the bones to the soup pot. Pour the liquids from the crock-pot into a measuring cup, use a turkey baster to extract the juices from under the fat. There will be plenty of fat. Dispose of it. Add the meat juices to the soup pot.

Add herbs to the soup pot – I like fresh rosemary and basil. Add water and/or beer to cover everything, plus an inch or so (depends on the pot). Add a good handful of orzo or other small pasta.

Cover, simmer until the pasta is well cooked and the veggies are tender. Remove the bones, check for seasoning, and serve in large bowls.

belgareth
07-04-2003, 09:13 AM
ok, what do you call the dish with the curry powder? thanks

Lamb curry or, of you prefer curried lamb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

belgareth
07-04-2003, 09:25 AM
Bassman:

Sounds great, I\'ll have to try it. Here\'s another good one.

Beer can chicken.

This sounds odd, and looks kind of obscene but is delicious.

Take a 12 oz can of beer, open and allow to get flat and warm. Pour off about half of it. Use a church key to make several more holes in the top. Sprinkle in a couple tablespoon of seasoning, I like Zaterains &lt;sp?&gt; Cajun spice.

Clean a medium size roasting chicken and liberally sprinkle the same spice in the body cavity and on the skin of the chicken. Carefully slide the beer can into the body cavity of the chicken so the chicken is standing upright on the beer can. Place on the barbeque away from direct heat and leave for about two hours. I usually smoke it using hickory or pecan wood for the best flavor.

Wonderful flavor and the meat just falls off the bones.

koolking1
07-04-2003, 11:03 AM
I think Elana has created a monster here - good!!!!

belgareth
07-04-2003, 11:36 AM
I think Elana has created a monster here - good!!!!

I hope so! Cooking and good sex are two of the finest things in life.

Sagacious1420
07-04-2003, 02:00 PM
Hey Bassman-

Curried Goat is a Carribean classic! Not surprising that you are familiar w/ it, since you live in Florida. Lots of multicultural influences in Carribean cuisine. Ever eaten at Allen Susser\'s restuarant, Chef Allen\'s, in N. Miami Beach? Undisputed king of cuisine Caribe, here in the US. I highly recommend it to anyone! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sagacious1420
07-04-2003, 02:44 PM
OK, Elana,

Here ya go...I wrote this one while doing culinary consulting for Joseph Phelps Vineyards. This was developed to go w/ their \'98 Syrah (highest rated American Syrah, ever BTW). It\'s very simple and very yummy!

1998 Joseph Phelps Vineyards Syrah, Napa Valley

Maple Glazed Salmon with Wild Rice and Roasted Asparagus
Serves: 6

To Prepare the Wild Rice:
1. Prepare the wild rice according to package directions. Plan on about 45 minutes cooking time.
2. If you don’t have cooking directions, just be sure to use 4 parts liquid to 1 part wild rice, bring to a boil and simmer for about 45 minutes. I prefer to use equal parts chicken broth and water. I also like to begin by sauteing some diced Spanish (yellow) onion and add some good quality jarred Spanish Pimiento, diced...Spanish products are preferred and jarred is better than canned, but canned will work if you can\'t get Spanish Pimiento. Once the rice is done, simply cover the pan tightly w/ plastic wrap and put it on the burner (power off) above your oven vent. This should keep it plenty warm, if you need to wait a bit for the salmon and/or asparagus to finish. Of course, if you time everything correctly, this shouldn\'t be necessary.

To Prepare The Salmon:
Salmon Fillets, 8 oz. portions, 6 each
Pure Maple Syrup, 4 fl. oz.
Gray Sea Salt, to taste
Cayenne Pepper, to taste, about a Pinch
White Pepper, fresh ground, to taste
Ground Allspice, to taste, about a Pinch

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Meanwhile, combine the maple syrup, cayenne and allspice; mix well and reserve.
2. Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium to medium-high heat. Season both sides of the salmon with sea salt and white pepper. Place the salmon fillets, evenly spaced, into the hot pan with the skin side up. Sear for 3-5 minutes or until a nice golden crust forms: press gently with a spatula to achieve an even sear. Note: Do not move the fish until you get a crust – the meat will release from the pan on it\'s own, when it’s time to turn the fillets.
3. Next, turn the salmon fillets, brush each fillet with the maple glaze and place the pan in the oven to finish; brush with the maple glaze every 2-3 minutes until done, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the fillets with a little more sea salt and reserve warm.
Note: If you don’t have a non-stick pan be sure to use some vegetable oil to coat the pan.

To Prepare the Asparagus:
Fresh Asparagus, trimmed to 4-5” lengths, 1 lb.
Vegetable Oil, as needed
Black Pepper, fresh ground, to taste
Hickory Smoked Bacon, 6 strips
Salt, to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly coat the asparagus in the oil and season.
2. Cut the bacon strips in half. Lay 2 half-strips about 2” apart and place a bundle of 5-6 sprigs of asparagus in the center of the strips. Overlap the ends of the bacon strips and transfer the bundle to a baking dish or small sheet pan, with the overlapped sides down.
3. Place the pan in a hot oven and roast for about 10-15 minutes. Reserve warm.

For Service:
1. Place a bundle of roasted asparagus onto each warm dinner plate, with the tips pointing to the 4 o’clock position and the root end toward the center of the plate.
2. Spoon about ½ cup of wild rice over the root end of each asparagus bundle, in the center of the plate.
3. Lean a salmon fillet over the rice with the fish resting on the plate in the direction of the 6 o’clock position.
4. Feel free to spoon any of the remaining glaze over each salmon fillet if you like.
5. Serve at once.

Sagacious1420
07-04-2003, 03:09 PM
OK, one more real quick then I gotta run!

Poached Lobster with Two Sauces
Serves: 6

Whole lobster, live preferred 3 each

Saffron Sauce:
Dry white wine, 2 fl. oz.
Saffron, 1 pinch
Fish fumet (stock), 2 cups
Heavy cream, 4 fl. oz.
Sea Salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste

Ginger –Lime Sauce:
Ginger root, grated, 2 tsp
Lime juice, fresh, to taste, 2 Tbsp
Dry white wine, 2 fl. oz.
Fish fumet (stock), 2 cups
Heavy cream, 4 fl. oz
Sea salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste

Garnish:
Chives, cut into 1”-2” lengths, 5-6 each

For the Saffron Sauce:
1. Combine the wine, saffron, fish fumet and cream in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium and reduce by ½ or until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. Season to taste with sea salt and white pepper. Reserve warm.

Note: Sea salt is much stronger than table salt or kosher salt, so use it with some restraint.

For the Ginger-Lime Sauce:
1. Combine the ginger root, lime juice, wine and cream in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium and reduce by ½ or until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. Season to taste with sea salt and white pepper. Reserve warm.

For the Lobster:
1. Bring a large stockpot of salted water to a boil. Plunge the live lobster headfirst into the boiling water.
2. When the water returns to a boil, simmer 6-8 minutes for a 1 pound lobster.
Note: Do Not Overcook the lobster or the meat will be tough.
3. When fully cooked, turn off the fire and remove the lobster from the water. Reserve the cooking liquid, you may need it later. Allow the lobster to sit for a 2-3 minutes to cool slightly. Next Remove the claws, bend the little pincher back until it comes loose. Pull the pincher straight out and the long, flat cartilage attached to the pincher will come out with it. Next cut open claw with kitchen shears, running from the bottom of the claw to where the pincher was located.
Note: Just imagine if you were to cut from your wrist up to the first knuckle of the thumb and you get the idea. You may want to use a towel when handling the lobster, it should still a little hot.
Next, pry open the shell and the claw meat will easily slip out the shell
4. Now remove the tails from the body and split each down the center with a very sharp chef’s (aka, French) knife. Remove the “vein” running along the top of the tail, rinse well under hot water.
5. At this point the lobster meat may need to be warmed through; just drop it back in the cooking liquid briefly. Whether this step is needed or not, be sure that you pat the meat dry before plating. This is important, so don’t forget or your sauce won’t adhere to the meat properly.

For Service:
1. Place about 1-2 fl. oz. (i.e., 2-4 Tbsp) of the ginger-lime sauce in the center of a warm 6”-8” appetizer plate. Beginning in the center and working outward toward the rim, move the spoon in circles until you’ve created a 3”-4” circular sauce pool in the center of the plate.
2. Place a half tail piece in the center of the ginger-lime sauce. The tail meat will curl up into a nice, rather tight round shape as a result of the cooking process. Place one piece of claw meat resting on top of the tail meat. Spoon 1-2 fl. oz. of the saffron sauce over the lobster meat to coat well. Sprinkle the chive batonnes (aka, sticks) randomly over the dish.
3. Serve Immediately.

Note: Fish Fumet should be available at you upscale grocery store or at your local Dean &amp; Deluca store. If you have trouble locating a Dean &amp; Deluca store in your area, look them up at www.ddny.com (\"http://www.ddny.com\")

Elana
07-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Ever eaten at Allen Susser\'s restuarant, Chef Allen\'s, in N. Miami Beach? Undisputed king of cuisine Caribe,

I am drooling! These all look amazing!

I love Allen Susser. I worship that culinary genius. I honor him by dining at Chef Allen\'s at least once a month. It is my all time favorite restaurant in South Florida. Even better than Mark\'s Place.

Sagacious1420
07-04-2003, 05:47 PM
I honor him by dining at Chef Allen\'s at least once a month. It is my all time favorite restaurant in South Florida.

Bragger! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I\'ll post one or two of his recipes for you in the near future. I got to cook w/ Allen once...he was a guest chef. Pretty cool guy.

Actually I\'ve been fortunate to cook along side some heavy hitters in the culinary world. It\'s a very humbling experience. For example, I learned to make Beouf Bourgignone from Paul Bocuse...you know...the star that shines brightest in the gastronomical capital of the universe, Lyonne, France.

I had the winemaker at Joseph Phelps ask me to prepare some bourgignone for he and his crew, once. Phillipe Pessereau, their head viticulturist (trained at Ch. Petrus), was beside himself...said it was the best he\'d ever had in his life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif When I told him that all the credit goes to Bocuse, he was stunned and amazed that I actually had a chance to cook w/ such a superstar chef. I have to agree w/ him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

koolking1
07-05-2003, 02:20 AM
I continue to be amazed at what a diverse and intelligent group of people are on this board.

EXIT63
07-05-2003, 02:35 AM
I continue to be amazed at what a diverse and intelligent group of people are on this board.

Thank you

Elana
07-05-2003, 04:09 AM

Thank you

Exit...your pork roll sounds delish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
:::insert barfing guy::::

Elana
07-05-2003, 04:14 AM
I just got myself a countertop rotisserie. I haven\'t used it yet, because I don\'t want to unpack it from its box until I move into the new house. I can\'t wait to use it. Since I am so unfamiliar with rotisserie cooking, I picked up a cookbook last night. I had no idea they were so versatile.

Bel- Have you ever made Game hen with a rotisserie? I bet they come out amazing.

If anyone has any rotisserie tips or recipes, please share.

belgareth
07-05-2003, 04:38 AM
Boneless lag of lamb, marinated in red wine, garlic, pepper and salt is wonderful on a rotisserie. be sure to baste frequently. Game hens should be easy. Try rubbing with a mix of minced garlic and rosemary then brush with lightly salted olive oil.

Sagacious1420
07-05-2003, 05:28 AM
Boneless lag of lamb, marinated in red wine, garlic, pepper and salt is wonderful on a rotisserie. be sure to baste frequently. Game hens should be easy. Try rubbing with a mix of minced garlic and rosemary then brush with lightly salted olive oil.

And don\'t forget kids...the first thing you marinate is the chef...and don\'t forget to baste frequently! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Got any red wine...I feel like cookin\'! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Is anyone hungry...no that\'s not w/ a capital H, Hungry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hungry
07-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Beer can chicken.

This is the absolute best thing you can do with a can of beer and a chicken! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(The other things involve a live chicken and are all illegal.)

Hungry

Hungry
07-05-2003, 06:07 AM
Bel\'s suggestion for lamb sounds good, but my favourite is the traditional Greek way.

Cut deep slits all around the lamb and insert slivers of garlic.

Rub with a mix of salt, pepper and oregano.

Regularly baste with a mix of olive oil and lemon juice.

Hungry

belgareth
07-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Bel\'s suggestion for lamb sounds good, but my favourite is the traditional Greek way.

Cut deep slits all around the lamb and insert slivers of garlic.

Rub with a mix of salt, pepper and oregano.

Regularly baste with a mix of olive oil and lemon juice.

Hungry

Add to that:

Smoke over applewood until medium rare.

Sexyredhead
07-05-2003, 06:54 AM

And don\'t forget kids...the first thing you marinate is the chef...and don\'t forget to baste frequently! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Got any red wine...I feel like cookin\'! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ok, let\'s look at this post how *I* read it the first time--no coffee this am:

And don\'t forget KIDS!!!!!

(The first thing you marinate is the chef.)

Don\'t forget to marinate frequently. &lt;---The kids???

Sounds like you wanted to get the chef drunk and cook children. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Elana
07-05-2003, 06:57 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
That\'s just not right!

what sides go good with BBQ 7 year olds?

Sexyredhead
07-05-2003, 07:08 AM
This is one I got from a friend and have adapted a bit to fit my tastes. As you can tell from the ingredients, this is excessively bad for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif It\'s also really easy to make.

brown rice
2 lbs. crawfish tails (you can get them already cooked)
1 red onion, chopped
greens from 1 bunch scallions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 pint (or so) half and half
butter
4 fish fillets (catfish, orange roughy...)
blackening seasoning
cayenne pepper
salt
cajun seasoning

Heat up your grill to about medium.

Put your brown rice on to boil.

In a large skillet, sautee the bell pepper, onion, and scallions in butter, with a little salt and pepper. Stir in the crawfish tails and continue to cook till warmed through. Pour in a ton of your favorite cajun seasonings, or you can just use the cajun seasoning you buy at the store. It\'s not hot enough for me, so I usually add a good bit of cayenne pepper as well. (I can\'t tell you how much to use, but I generally coat everything pretty well.) Add the half and half till everything is covered and continue to cook till it\'s hot. Remeber, the milk will neutralize some of the \'heat\' from the cajun seasoning, so add extra to account for this. This is the sauce, but it\'s really good to eat as a \'soup\' on it\'s on if you\'re lazy or end up with extra.

Take the fish fillets and coat them with butter and blackening seasoning, and put them on the grill. Cook as usual. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This is best served if you make a bed of the brown rice, but the grilled blacked fish on top of the rice, and pour the sauce over the top.

Forgive me if the directions seem a little vague. I tend to \'eyeball\' my spices and amounts.

Sexyredhead
07-05-2003, 07:09 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
That\'s just not right!

what sides go good with BBQ 7 year olds?

Potato salad and cole slaw! What were you thinking?????

Sexyredhead
07-05-2003, 07:21 AM
Another good, but excessively bad for you recipe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Buffalo Chip Cookies (1 batch)

1 c. margarine
1 c. shortening (or can just use 2 c. margarine)
1 lb. light brown sugar
2 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs

Mix well.

In a LARGE separate bowl:
1 c raisins
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. coconut (I usually leave this out)
4 c. plain flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 (6 oz) pkg choc. chips
(optional also: 1 (6oz) pkg peanut butter or butterscotch chips)
2 c oatmeal
2 c. Corn Flakes/Product 19/Rice Crispies (I like corn flakes best)

Add first mixture to the second and mix everything well. Minimum 1/4 c ball of dough per cookie (Yes, it says 1/4 cup per cookie.). Bake at 350F for 13-15 min (takes longer in my oven). Cool completely before storing. Makes 36-40 cookies.

These are HUGE cookies. Best made for Christmas goodies, or when you have a lot of hungry men to feed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EXIT63
07-05-2003, 09:47 AM
Exit...your pork roll sounds delish.
:::insert barfing guy::::

I got news for you baby...My Moonburger will kick your ass! (that\'s why I shouldn\'t grill them rare! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

mikey
07-05-2003, 02:17 PM
Very interessting that some ppl talking about some other too - more than just those stuff *smile*

Sagacious1420
07-05-2003, 03:10 PM
SRH &amp; Elana-

I may be sick and twisted, but I\'m not that sick and twisted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

And of course, potato salad and cole slaw are required by law. It is BBQ, after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sagacious1420
07-05-2003, 03:27 PM
Speaking of BBQ....

Does anyone know from where the word barbecue originates?

OK, I\'ll tell you.

It dates back to the days of the Spanish explorers. When they were travelling through what is now roughly Brazil, they encountered to the natives who invited them to a feast. The meat was roasted over a green wood fire. BTW, it\'s not technically a BBQ unless you\'re using green wood, by tradition. Much to the disgust of the Spaniards, they discovered that the indigenous ppl were cannibals and they found themselves feasting on human flesh. So who knows, maybe they did BBQ kids.?. Anyway, the Spaniards called these indigenous ppl Barbacoa...which has since evolved into barbecue or BBQ, for short.

OK, there you have it.

More food for thought! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sexyredhead
07-05-2003, 03:44 PM
Dork. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sagacious1420
07-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Dork. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thank you...thank you very much! [takes a bow and his pocket protector falls out] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sexyredhead
07-05-2003, 05:32 PM
There\'s something about your sig, Sagacious1420, that makes me CONCERNED about BREAKFAST. That it be GOOD.

I wonder why that could be??

Hey, what\'s everybody\'s favorite thing for breakfast, and how do you fix it? And if you\'re weird about how you eat it, tell us how. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Example. My favorite breakfast food is scrambled eggs cooked with onions and bell peppers, and topped with shredded cheese. But let\'s say it\'s pop tarts. How do I eat the afforementioned pop tarts? Why, I heat them up in the toaster (not the microwave--not toasty that way!), then I eat the crust around the outside first. After that, I slide the back crust off and eat it. Then I fold the frosted side (the top) in half and eat it. Yes, I know it\'s weird, but it\'s a signature method. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belgareth
07-05-2003, 05:41 PM
SRH,

Would you accept favorite breakfast day?

I like to get up Sunday morning and prepare a big breakfast. Sometimes it\'s the classic eggs, hash browns, sausage, biscuits (with or without gravy) etc. Other times it is apple struddle or strawberry turnovers or french toast made from sourdough bread with lots of vanilla.

Sexyredhead
07-05-2003, 05:44 PM
You know how to make strawberry turnovers????

Wow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I worship at your feet. I am not worthy.

belgareth
07-05-2003, 05:50 PM
You know how to make strawberry turnovers????

Wow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I worship at your feet. I am not worthy.

Sure, they are pretty easy. You can use almost any fruit but I am awfully fond of strawberries, but fresh blackberries are good too.

EXIT63
07-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Had this in a truckstop in Cape Girardeau, Missouri once.

French Toast Cordon Bleau:

Eggs, milk, bread, you know the drill.

Slice up some nice smoked country ham,
Melt some jack cheese,
Place the ham and the cheese on the French toast and roll it up like a roulade. Skewer with toothpicks and fry those babies. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and smother with syrup. I recommend real maple if you can afford it.

YUMMY!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If these directions sound screwed up. Remember, I didn\'t make it. I just ate it.

PS. I don\'t really remember what kind of cheese it was. Use your imagination.

Sexyredhead
07-05-2003, 05:58 PM
There IS no other fruit. Only the strawberry.

Recipe please? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belgareth
07-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Guess I wouldn\'t be forgiven if I left it at that, Would I?

Strawberry Turnovers:

Prepare both parts the night before.

Dough:
In a mixer combine:
2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon salt

1/2 pound butter. Mix until it has a grainy texture.

Add 10 ounces cream cheese and continue mixing until smooth and uniform. Remove from mixer and place in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator overnight.

Filling:
You\'ll need 3 cups Cleaned and sliced fresh strawberries.

In a medium pot combine:
1 cup fresh, cleaned strawberries
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar (That\'s a good amount to start with. Taste it and add more as need to get the right balance between sweet and tart.)

Heat on low until the strawberries are cooked and can be mashed. Mash thoroughly then strain pulp out using cheese cloth or wire strainer. Return juice to pot and bring to a slow boil on low heat. Thicken using cornstarch disolved in cold water. It should be the consistancy of heavy syrup.

Add the remaining strawberries and remove from heat. Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, roll out the dough to 1/4\" thickness on a floured board. The marble ones work best because you can chill them and the dough stays colder. Cut dough into 4\" squares and put about 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of each square. Wet the edges with a little water and fold diagonally. Use a fork or pastry roller to seal the edges. Poke a couple small holes in each one to allow steam to vent. It takes some practice to get it perfect but it\'s fun to eat the failure too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brush lightly with melted butter.

Bake on top rack of oven at 400 until top crust is golden brown.

Serve warm

Sexyredhead
07-05-2003, 06:23 PM
To all the men lurking in this forum--THIS is why this man is married. One of many reasons, I\'m sure, but if he wasn\'t married, I\'d be proposing. He puts CREAM CHEESE IN THE DOUGH. And can make strawberry turnovers FROM SCRATCH. ALL BY HIMSELF.

Drool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I\'m gonna have to print that one out. And save it for a weekend when I have someone to impress staying over for breakfast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

belgareth
07-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the compliment SRH. Sure wish it were that simple.

Sexyredhead
07-05-2003, 06:48 PM
As you can see, my head is easily turned by a man who can make wonderful things with strawberries and cream cheese. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

belgareth
07-05-2003, 06:54 PM
Hmmmm, we\'ll have to talk about that sometime. How do you feel about strawberries and homemade chocolate dipping sauce? Goes great with a nice, dry white wine. Just make sure not to drip the chocolate sauce on the pillow.

belgareth
07-05-2003, 08:06 PM
This is my most popular cake recipe. It\'s a pain to make but well worth the effort.

Prepare this part first and allow to cool to room temperature before proceeding with the rest of the recipe. Don\'t cool it by placing the pan in cold water, you\'ll ruin the whole thing.

In a double boiler:
12 tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons shortening
2/3 cup milk
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
Stir constantly and cook until it starts to thicken and gets darker. Set aside to cool.

Set oven to 350, grease and flour two 10\" round pans.
In a bowl combine:
2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt

In a seperate container combine:
1/3 cup water
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Beat 3 egg whites until very stiff

In a mixing bowl beat 1/2 cup butter until soft.
Add 1 cup of sugar and continue beating until smooth
Beat in 2 egg yolks

Add the flour and milk mixtures to the butter mix in three parts each, alternating between them. Beat until smooth with each addition.

Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture.

When smooth, gently fold in the beaten egg whites. Mix this as little as possible.

Bake 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

When the cakes are cooled, in the double boiler combine
12 tablespoons cocoa
3 tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup milk
1 cup brown sugar
2 egg yolks

Cook stirring constantly until it starts to set. Allow to cool to barely warm and spread on the bottom cake layer. If you cooked it long enough it will not ooze out when you place the second layer on it. After placing the second layer on top, allow it to sit about half an hour so the custard will set firmly.

Frosting:
This is the easier of the two frostings I use for this cake. The other requires about an hour of prep time before you bake the cake.

In a mixing bowl soften 2-8 oz blocks of cream cheese.
Add 1 tablespoon of Vanilla
1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar (More or less depending on how sweet you like it)

Mix until smooth.

Slowly add milk to desired spreading consistancy. After icing, the cake should be refrigerated an hour or so before serving. The icing sets up better that way.

Hungry
07-05-2003, 10:18 PM
Hey, what\'s everybody\'s favorite thing for breakfast, and how do you fix it? And if you\'re weird about how you eat it, tell us how.

Smoked salmon with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce on a thick piece of toasted french bread, with side orders of char-grilled bacon and sauteed mushrooms. Followed by a large slice of rich Belgian chocolate cake and a double-strength flat white.

I don\'t make it, I order it from a nearby cafe every sunday morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hungry

EXIT63
07-06-2003, 01:50 AM
Hey Bel, How bout a strawberry cheesecake?!
UMMMMMMM...Belgalicious /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

EXIT63
07-06-2003, 02:01 AM
3 eggs over with
sausage, home fries, and rye toast!

For all you people outside the real world.
The three eggs are cooked inside a round metal ring. It\'s quite amazing really. Huge liks of italian sausage are deep fried. Home fries are cubed and cooked with lots of onion. Totally blows away that shredded crap you call hash browns. Real bakery fresh rye bread toasted and oozing with butter. And ofcourse coffee. Lots of coffee.

Hey, you only live once.

EXIT63
07-06-2003, 02:19 AM
Taylor ham, egg, and cheese on a bagel.

5 thin slices of taylor ham. (see my previous post about pork roll express. The stuff is awesome Elana, I highly recommend it for you provincials out there).

1 extra large egg
2 slices yellow american
1 bagel (the flavor you choose is up to you).

Fry egg
Fry that taylor ham till it\'s crisp and very well done.
Slice bagel in half (longways)
Place egg on bagel
Place cheese and taylor ham on top of egg (alternating cheese slices and taylor ham, hot taylor ham will melt the cheese)
Some like salt, pepper, ketchup, but for me, just a little ketchup. And if you want to add some nutritional value, slap a slice of tomato on top. Place other half of bagel on top.

It\'s quick. It\'s easy. And you\'re on your way.
Don\'t forget the large coffee.

belgareth
07-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Exit:

Got one of those too, kinda. Do you prefer the smaller cheesecakes or the nice thick ones? A strawberry topping is easy for either. Modified one recipe to make it a chocolate cheesecake also. The biggest problem is it\'s a little too rich. Let me know what you prefer.

EXIT63
07-06-2003, 04:07 AM
The Richer...The Better

belgareth
07-06-2003, 04:09 AM
The Richer...The Better

I\'ll post one a little later today. Nice thick, rich one with a strawberry topping suit you?

EXIT63
07-06-2003, 04:40 AM
I\'m gaining weight just thinking about it.

belgareth
07-06-2003, 07:54 AM
Ok, by request, Strawberry Cheesecake:

Use a 9\" springform pan for this.

Crust:
Crush about 15-18 plain Graham crackers.
Add 1/2 cup sugar
Melt 2/3 stick of butter and stir all ingredients together. Sprinkle in an even layer on the bottom of the pan and roll flat with a glass.

Filling:
In a mixing bowl
Beat 4 extra large eggs until frothy
Add 12 ounces cream cheese and beat until smooth
Add 1 cup sugar and continue beating
Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Beat another few minutes.

Pour into the pan and bake at 325 until it sets, about 40 minutes. To check, gently shake the pan, if you see small waves in the center, it\'s not ready. Remove from the oven as soon as it sets and put aside to cool.

Topping:
You\'ll need about 4 cups of cleaned sliced strawberries.
In a medium saucepan put two cups of strawberries.
Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
About 1 cup of sugar (to taste)
Cook slowly until the berries are done and can be mashed easily. Remove from heat and mash the berries then strain through cheesecloth or wire strainer. Return juice to burner.

Heat on low to a slow boil then thicken with cornstarch dissolved in cold water. It should be thick enough that when you pull a spoon through it, it leaves a trail in the sauce.
Remove from heat and allow to cool a few minutes.

Place the other 2 cups of strawberries in an even layer on the cooled cheesecake. Pour the sauce over it making sure to coat all the berries with sauce.

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, lightly covered. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to free the sides before removing.

I\'ve still got dozens of good recipes but feel like I am dominating this thread. Would anybody else like to contribute some good ideas? The ones others have put in already sound delicious and I\'m going to try them all. Come on folks, share them recipes!

EXIT63
07-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Excellent

One question. Could you substitute Polaner all fruit spreadable strawberry (heated)for the sauce? Or would that be a no-no.

belgareth
07-06-2003, 11:04 AM
Excellent

One question. Could you substitute Polaner all fruit spreadable strawberry (heated)for the sauce? Or would that be a no-no.

Disgusting is the first word that comes to mind. But it\'s your taste buds, not mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

EXIT63
07-06-2003, 11:10 AM
a simple no would have been sufficient

belgareth
07-06-2003, 11:34 AM
a simple no would have been sufficient

Well it may be alright for you. To me, I pretty much described how I felt. Sorry if it was offensive.

My bigest issue is the degree of sweetening they put in those. I try to always find the balance between sweet and tart. It\'s more difficult but the end product is much better for the effort. And like any other cook in the world, my recipes are always perfect to begin with, who would want to tamper with them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sagacious1420
07-06-2003, 12:37 PM

SRH-

I used to think the same way.

Ever had Passion Fruit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sexyredhead
07-06-2003, 12:50 PM

SRH-

Do not blaspheme!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Meanwhile....

Psst...ovah heah! Yeah, I like passion fruit. Why? Tell me quick while the strawberries are erstwhile occupied.

Sagacious1420
07-06-2003, 01:00 PM
SRH-

For me, nothing beats a good ol\' fashioned Southern Breakfast. I grew up on this kind of stuff. Breakfast was always a feast.

Eggs (I prefer over medium)
Thick country bacon
Home fries w/ onion and green bell pepper
Biscuits &amp; Dirty Gravy
Grits
Blackeyed Peas
Sliced melon or fresh berries, whatever\'s in season. We used to grow our own, just run out to the garden and pick whatever looked yummy. I never even tasted jam or jelly from a store until I was a teen...my mom made her own and you still can\'t buy anything like it in a store.

OK, I think I may be missing a few things...seem to be experiencing some cerebral flatulence at the moment.

BTW, breakfast food is probably one of my favorite things for dinner.

Sagacious1420
07-06-2003, 01:05 PM

SRH-

Do not blaspheme!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

What...me...a heretic?

Never been accused of that before! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Did you actually say erstwhile? I love that word. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sexyredhead
07-06-2003, 01:23 PM
Yes, I acutally said \'erstwhile\'. I like the way it sounds, and don\'t often get a chance to say it. So there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I must admit I have never had peas for breakfast. The fact that I\'m strictly anti-pea might have something to do with it, but we never had them on the table.

My favorite southern breakfast(aka breakfast at my grandmother\'s house on Sunday):

eggs scrambled in butter with salt/pepper
grits with butter
spicy pork sausage
homemade biscuits eaten one of two ways:
1) with homemade strawberry-fig preserves or homemade orange marmalade
2) or cut in half and dragged across an empty plate that\'s been filled with just the right combo of butter and molasses to tear the biscuit apart before you get all the way across the plate
(Our plates were warmed in the oven before serving, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)
coffee served in a cup but poured into a bowl to drink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We didn\'t have much fruit for breakfast. Usually we ate a lot in the morning and were out all day, so we\'d munch on home-grown watermelon or cantaloupe whenever we came in the house for something.
My granddaddy and his friends used to compete for the biggest and best-tasting watermelon. And my granddaddy was GOOOOOD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hundred+ lbs, and no salt allowed on the table. He always said if you had to add something to it, it wasn\'t good enough to eat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sagacious1420
07-06-2003, 01:43 PM
SRH-

Easy there, girl! Did you miss my comment about loving that word. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just rolls off the tongue, doesn\'t it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Black-eyed peas are not at all the same as green peas. Tastes more like a bean. Black-eyed peas were always a breakfast staple...you\'d never see grits on the table w/ out them.

Your grandpappy was right...a good watermelon needs no help!

Sexyredhead
07-06-2003, 01:59 PM
You unfortunately do not understand the depth of my hatred of peas. I don\'t like anything that can be called a pea. I don\'t even eat beans unless they are \'string\' or \'jelly\'. I like other veggies, just don\'t give me beans and peas!

Peas: the ruination of good stews and casseroles everywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

belgareth
07-06-2003, 02:24 PM
Black eyed peas are really a bean. When cooked with the remains of a ham, including the bone, with Jalapeneo peppers and served with fresh corn bread, are heavenly!

But I agree about peas, no redeaming qualities.

Elana
07-06-2003, 02:25 PM
My favorite breakfast is a sesame bagel lightly toasted with chive cream cheese, a slice of tomato and a slice of red onion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Elana
07-06-2003, 02:27 PM
So I guess they will continue to be homeless thanks to SRH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/4543/alexas.html (\"http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/4543/alexas.html\")

Sexyredhead
07-06-2003, 03:39 PM
So I guess they will continue to be homeless thanks to SRH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/4543/alexas.html (\"http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/4543/alexas.html\")

That\'s right.

-SRH
Charter Member of A.B.C.D.E.
(Alliance for Better Casseroles and Dinners Everywhere)
Founding Member of S.Q.U.I.S.H.
(Stupid Quit Using Icky Stuff at Home)

Sagacious1420
07-06-2003, 04:12 PM
Hey Bel-

Yes, black-eyed peas are a legume...I was giving SRH the benefit of the doubt that she knew that they were such. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif My intention was to clarify that, despite the pea part of it\'s name, that they don\'t taste anything like green peas, English peas or even chick peas for that matter.

And, yes, there\'s nothing like black-eyed peas and smoked ham hocks! Good stuff! Jalapeno, huh. You\'re from Texas, right. That makes sense, then. Sounds good, just not what comes to mind when I think of the \"southern style\" that I grew up w/, but, hey, it\'s all good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belgareth
07-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Actually. I\'m from Florida by way of Mississippi, Alaska and California. Jalapenos are such a nice innovation I couldn\'t resist adding them to the traditional recipe.

You are right, they taste nothing like any of those. Although, she would probably enjoy chick peas if she ever tried humus.

Sexyredhead
07-06-2003, 04:46 PM
She tried hummus.

Where\'s the retching face when you need it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I just don\'t like peas and beans. I can\'t say I\'m anti-legume, cuz I love nuts. Even boiled peanuts--that lovely Southern specialty that nobody else seems to understand. Just not peas and beans. I don\'t like the way they smell, taste, or feel in my mouth. The only exceptions are tofu (if it\'s in something) and roasted soy beans. Yes, I know I\'m weird, but it hasn\'t changed in the last 28 years, and I come from a bean/pea-loving family, so believe me, it\'s been tried. lol

Bel, you sound like me. I\'m from MS, but did the tour of OR, OH, AR, and TN before coming back home to the South. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ain\'t no bettah. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You know, jalapenos aren\'t that foreign to southern cooking. There have been tamale stands up all over the South for years and years--esp in MS. Some places just sell tamales, some sold other \'Hispanic\' foods. So the jalapeno has been worming its way in next to the cayenne for quite some time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

koolking1
07-06-2003, 04:51 PM
My favorite breakfast: I\'ve only had it once and it was at the Hotel Pontchartrain in New Orleans. Two poached eggs on top of crawfish cakes with a perfect remoulade sauce. I have never in my life waited so long for a breakfast meal (well over an hour) and, admittedly, was getting a bit pissed off over it. I later whipped myself on my back for my impatience. That dish was sheer genius.

I\'m going to make an effort to try and make all the above recipes but Elana\'s rosemary chicken will be the first one - tomorrow night.

belgareth
07-06-2003, 05:21 PM

Bel, you sound like me. I\'m from MS, but did the tour of OR, OH, AR, and TN before coming back home to the South. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ain\'t no bettah. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I know what you mean. By now, I\'ve seen most of the US, but the south always will be home. I didn\'t realize how much I missed it until transferring back here. There\'s nowhere like it.

You never answered me about strawberries and chocolate dipping sauce. One of the best hedonistic treats I know of.

Elana
07-06-2003, 06:07 PM
She tried hummus.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> Come on SRH....you don\'t dare to diss hummus?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
That\'s just not at all right.

franki
07-07-2003, 02:34 AM

I hope so! Cooking and good sex are two of the finest things in life.

And here I was thinking eating nice food/meals and sex were the two nicest things in life.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hungry
07-07-2003, 03:24 AM
And here I was thinking eating nice food/meals and sex were the two nicest things in life

I\'m with you, Franki! My love of food starts and ends at the table. Cooking is just a chore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hungry

koolking1
07-07-2003, 04:13 AM
Cooking may be \"just a chore\" to some but people who do cook well probably eat well too, better than most I would think.

Hungry
07-07-2003, 04:16 AM
I actually do cook well (Sardine Salad Surpise! excluded), but I don\'t enjoy it much. I\'d rather pay someone who\'s really good to cook for me.

Sydney is blessed with some truly fine restaurants, with a vast array of cuisines from around the world (due to our strong multicultural heritage). I dine out or order in several times a week, so believe me, I eat very well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hungry

akinu
07-07-2003, 08:16 AM
As an ouverture;

Get 2 per person whole green sweet peppers. Mix water packed tuna and low fat mayo in a bowl until you get that slimy mixture. Open the peppers from the top and stuff the mixture in to the pepper. When you are done, dress all peppers with olive oil and add add some dry mint on them.

Elana
07-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Bel- Your PM feature is turned off

belgareth
07-07-2003, 10:52 AM
That was interesting. I guess the gremlins are at it again. It\'s back on now.

Hungry
07-08-2003, 03:14 AM
Mix water packed tuna and low fat mayo in a bowl until you get that slimy mixture.

Awwww, poor fat. It gets such a bad rap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Don\'t worry fat. I won\'t give up on you. You\'ll always be welcome at my table.

Hungry

Elana
07-08-2003, 03:20 AM
Speaking of fat and its bad rep....why do people use margarine over butter? Margarine doesn\'t come close to tasting as good as butter, and it is so dangerous for your health. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hungry
07-08-2003, 03:28 AM
Most people still think margarine is healthier because it doesn\'t have cholesterol.

Plus, it spreads easier. This is probably the main reason. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hungry

Elana
07-08-2003, 03:31 AM
It\'s a stick of Trans Fatty Acids. The stuff will kill you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bundyburger
07-08-2003, 03:44 AM
I\'ve been doing the Olive Oil spread thing the past couple of years.

...and no, that\'s got nothing to do with horizontal activities and a certain cartoon character. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Elana
07-08-2003, 03:49 AM
Me too BB. That stuff is very good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

go to sleep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hungry
07-08-2003, 03:53 AM
Personally, I smother either butter or extra virgin olive oil on everything, and I always cook with ghee (clarified butter). It\'s sooo delicious.

Fat is my favourite macronutrient. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hungry

Elana
07-08-2003, 03:58 AM
I love Olive Oil too. I make my own pizzas a lot. Nothing better than finishing them off with a really good Olive oil, or truffle oil before you pop it in the oven.

koolking1
07-08-2003, 07:54 AM
I wish I could afford truffle oil!!! Olive oil is my mainstay. I\'m glad you guys mentioned the ill effects of margarine - I didn\'t know it was that bad but I hardly ever use it anyways. I didn\'t get to try Elana\'s recipe last night as my GF wanted seafood. Scallops were on sale so I bought a bunch - chicken will have to wait a bit.

BassMan
07-08-2003, 09:26 AM
I wish I could afford truffle oil!!! Olive oil is my mainstay. I\'m glad you guys mentioned the ill effects of margarine - I didn\'t know it was that bad but I hardly ever use it anyways. I didn\'t get to try Elana\'s recipe last night as my GF wanted seafood. Scallops were on sale so I bought a bunch - chicken will have to wait a bit.

So what did you do with the scallops?

belgareth
07-08-2003, 10:07 AM
An older woman once explained to me that she used margarine exclusively because it tasted so bad. If she used butter, she would gain 50 pounds in a few weeks. It sounded like the only good reason for using it.

oscar
07-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Elana,

Truffles are reputed to be an extremely pheromone-rich food source.

Here\'s an article I found:

\"Love Root

Is the truffle an aphrodisiac? The fungus\'s fame for funneling the passions resulted largely from its shape. According to the Doctrine of Signatures, a plant\'s appearance betokened its medicinal attributes: truffles, with their knobby, roundish form, would give strength and stamina to a man\'s private parts.

The black truffle\'s penetrating aroma is also said to ooze promises of sexual delight. Epicureans liken the scent to that of the tousled sheets of a brothel bed. Bio chemists, drawing on a less exotic frame of reference, have identified the pheromone in truffles as the same type that makes male pigs alluring to sows.

Legend has it that the first being on the planet to devour truffles was a female wild boar. A farmer watched the sow dig up and eat the presumably poisonous underground fungi and waited patiently for her to die. Instead, she flew into a fit of passion and attracted so many lovesick suitors that the species began to proliferate in hot haste. Hoping to become fruitful and multiply, the story goes, the farmer sampled the magical tuber. His previously childless marriage reportedly gave rise to a brood of 13.

Indeed, long before human beings discovered truffles, wild pigs -- from which domestic swine are descended -- played a role in the life cycle of the fungi.

Misguided female boars would dig them up in fits of lust and scatter their spores throughout the forest. The irresistible pheromone, known as androstenol, is produced in the testicles and secreted in the saliva of the boar. This chemical sexual attractant transports the inamorata into a fever of unbridled passion. Interestingly, androstenol is also present in women\'s urine and secreted by men\'s armpit glands.

Whether truffles really have amatory powers is open to question. The poet\'s conviction that a whiff of the fungi will make you sizzle as a lover is balanced by the scientist\'s suspicion that they do the trick only for sows. -- S.U.\"

Here\'s the source:

http://www.paristempo.com/truffle2.html (\"http://www.paristempo.com/truffle2.html\")

Were you aware that you\'ve been spiking your pizzas with Androstenol? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Make mine with anchovies, and I\'ll let you have the Pepperoni! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

koolking1
07-08-2003, 01:10 PM
The scallops, well I was in a hurry so they got coated with Cajun seasoning then put into a very hot cast iron pan and were \"semi-blackened\". I still have a lot of them left. I do have a great recipe for them courtsy of Emerill and will post it perhaps tomorrow.

Elana
07-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Make mine with anchovies, and I\'ll let you have the Pepperoni!

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> Yeah baby! Make mine with hot sausage too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Very interesting article! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Elana
07-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Has anyone ever used this line?

http://www.atasteofthai.com/ (\"http://www.atasteofthai.com/\")

It happens to be fantastic. I love their online recipes. I have made some fabulous dishes. This line is sold in most markets here in South Florida. If you find it, get some. The Panang curry base rocks!

belgareth
07-09-2003, 05:57 PM
No, never seen it. But will look for it now. Thanks for the lead.

frenchie
07-09-2003, 10:43 PM
Elana,
thanks for the link ! and though we, french people, are very proud of our food (sometimes I wonder why...), I\'m a real fan of thai food... it\'s delicious, very subtle, in a word : magic. It\'s worth all pheros in the world...
Lao food is great too !

koolking1
07-10-2003, 03:34 AM
Frenchie: Sep mach, mai? Lao food, mmmm mmmmmm good.

Elana
07-10-2003, 05:42 AM
I am a big fan of Thai food as well. I just wish my friends felt the same way about it. It is difficult to get people to go with me to eat Thai. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

belgareth
07-10-2003, 06:13 AM
I am a big fan of Thai food as well. I just wish my friends felt the same way about it. It is difficult to get people to go with me to eat Thai. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

A couple of my clients are real fans of Thai food so I end up taking them to lunch a little more often than other clients. It\'s such a sacrifice to be forced to take my clients out to lunch at this little hole in the wall Thai place where you have to point at the menu because they don\'t speak much English. I have to force myself to enjoy their wonderful foods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Elana
07-10-2003, 06:14 AM
Poor Bel...that\'s so wrong that you have to feed your mouth with Pad Thai and other delicious, exotic food. Life is just not fair! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

belgareth
07-10-2003, 06:17 AM
One must make all sorts of sacrifices for one\'s chosen profession. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Skyy
07-10-2003, 12:21 PM
I looooooooooooove papaya salad! I tend to overdue it and eat to many of those green peppers.

koolking1
07-10-2003, 12:28 PM
Som Tum Papaya - people in NE Thailand and Laos eat this neary every day. It takes some getting used to but with a bit of sticky rice it sure is gooooood. Have you tried Larb? (another Lao/NE Thai dish)

Skyy
07-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Larb is actually one of my favorite dishes as well along with Chicken with mint leaves. My best friends in highschool was thai so I usually ate at thier house =P Soup if good to, the lemon grass adds a nice touch. (i forgot names of the soups). Pad Kee Mao is also good, I guess it\'s sorta like a spicey version of Pad See ew shrug Thai food can be sooo confusing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Lucky
07-10-2003, 02:09 PM
I love this thread. Anybody got any special bread recipes?

belgareth
07-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Anything in particular you\'d like?

Have you ever tried replacing part of the white flour (about a third) with ground nuts? Pecans are good, so are pine nuts but you should toast them first. Add a quarter cup of honey and an egg. Increase the flour to compensate for the stickyness. Great for french toast or just eating fresh from the oven.

Lucky
07-10-2003, 07:16 PM
A quick and easy sourdough recipe would be my request.

Bel, you have the best ideas!

belgareth
07-10-2003, 10:44 PM
If somebody has a quick and easy answer to sourdough I will be eternally grateful. As far as I know you can either make your own starter or, if thrice blessed by all the gods, find somebody who has an old starter they have been using for 50 years and are willing to share. I have never been so lucky.

Elana
07-12-2003, 04:37 AM
Does anyone have a great recipe for portabello burgers? The Cheesecake Factory makes the best one I have had to date. I\'m sure the gobs of Chipotle mayo and cheese don\'t hurt the overall taste. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

belgareth
07-12-2003, 05:35 AM
That sounds wonderful

Elana
07-12-2003, 06:14 AM
and they toast the bun and rub garlic butter on it........

so damn good!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

seadove
07-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Mustardy Egg and Cucumber salad

You need:

French Dijon mustard - or any other light mustard
Mayonnaise
Spring Onion
2 Eggs per person
Cucumber
Plus sliced red pepper, olives and other salad if you can be bothered

Method:

1. Hard boil the eggs, then cool immediately under the tap. Shell and halve.

2. In a dish, mix some mustard with plenty of mayonnaise, then grate (or finely chop) spring onions into mixture. Prepare salad - chop it up and arrange it nicely on a plate making a pleasing circular design, possibly making a bed of lettuce and arranging the cucumber slices into a pretty design around the outside, or something. Put the halved eggs in the middle.

3. Scoop mustard mix onto egg halves.

4. Serve outdoors with white wine, preferably when not raining otherwise it\'ll take forever to drink the wine.

(An alternative to the mustardy egg bit is to use prawns mixed into tomato ketchup and mayonnaise in a kind of seafood vibe.)

upsidedown
08-01-2003, 01:16 PM
Bump.

This thread seems to have slowed down.

Anybody have any suggestions for something good I can fix myself for supper tonight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

belgareth
08-01-2003, 02:03 PM
Bump.

This thread seems to have slowed down.

Anybody have any suggestions for something good I can fix myself for supper tonight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Grilled mahi mahi and wild rice with asparagas.

Elana
08-11-2003, 03:42 AM
I really wanted to bump this up again.

I know it is only 7:43 AM, but I am always thinking about food. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What is everyone cooking for dinner tonight? If that is way too far in advance for you to even think about, what is for lunch, breakfast? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Elana
08-11-2003, 03:45 AM
I think I am going to make a big pot of French Onion Soup. It\'s not a very summery dish, but it\'s so good. Maybe I\'ll serve it with a Caesar salad with my home made, garlicky croutons

Number0
08-11-2003, 04:05 AM
I\'ll be posting some of my recipes soon. IRL I\'m writing a book on Cuban cuisine... I just found this thread, otherwise I would be staying here for life... I dig cooking big time, but I have to scoot now for a couple of hours.

Sexyredhead
08-11-2003, 04:18 AM
I\'m going to someone else\'s house for supper tonight. We\'re having a version of rotel chicken I\'ve never heard of. Doritos are involved, and I am intrigued...

I will really try to post some decent supper-type recipes soon. I just keep forgetting, or have no time when I remember. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Elana
08-11-2003, 04:26 AM
IRL I\'m writing a book on Cuban cuisine

YUMMY! I love Cuban food. Here in Miami we some fantastic Cuban restaurants. Do you have a Picadillo recipe that includes raisons or prunes?

Elana
08-11-2003, 04:43 AM
We\'re having a version of rotel chicken I\'ve never heard of. Doritos are involved

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Oh my! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

EXIT63
08-11-2003, 04:50 AM
I haven\'t had moussaka in years.

http://www.eatgreektonight.com/recipes/entrees/moussaka.html (\"http://www.eatgreektonight.com/recipes/entrees/moussaka.html\")

Elana
08-11-2003, 04:52 AM
Me either, Exit. I love moussaka. My Mom made a truckload for a party she once had. We ate leftovers for weeks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif That was about 15 years ago. I think I am ready to have it again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

belgareth
08-11-2003, 06:29 AM
That sounds good. I\'ll have to try it next weekend.

Number0
08-11-2003, 06:50 AM
Elana

My picadillo is \"a la habanera\" so it includes raisins, capers and green olives. I\'ll post the recipe later on.

===

Tonight I\'m preparing a chicken, mango and avocado salad, with coriander, lemon grass, lime juice and the seeds of the papaya I had for lunch. It\'s too hot in London right now to be cooking something. I roasted the chicken last night, so I only have to shred it now and mix with the other ingredients. I have a bottle of Pinot Grigio in the fridge.

Elana
08-11-2003, 10:45 AM
My picadillo is \"a la habanera\" so it includes raisins, capers and green olives. I\'ll post the recipe later on.

Yeah baby! That\'s what I want. I used to have a recipe that I took from a Puerto Rican cookbook. It was for empanada filling (I just made the picadilla filling), and it was the best ever. I lost the recipe and have been searching ever since. I loved that perfect sweet flavor from the raisins with the saltines of the capers. It was balanced so perfectly. I hope that yours is similar. many of the ones I see have potatoes. This one did not.

Please post your mango chicken recipe when you get a chance.

Holmes
08-11-2003, 10:50 AM
IRL I\'m writing a book on Cuban cuisine...

Are you really?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Holmes

Holmes
08-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Here in Miami we some fantastic Cuban restaurants.

Yes, indeed you do! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You guys also have a (reportedly) amazing Brazilian place that I\'m intent on trying next time I\'m down that way...

Holmes

Number0
08-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Holmes

I dig Brazilian food. What is the name of that restaurant in Miami?

Holmes
08-11-2003, 12:19 PM
No.0,

The one I\'m referring to is called \"Porcao.\" Looks like it might be a bit of a splurge, but probably worth it. Some Brazilian friends who live in Miami recommended it. I can\'t wait to go!

The Brazilian places we frequent here in NY are decidedly a little lower in scale, but they\'re great and, consequently, always crowded (read: lively)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Holmes

Number0
08-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Elana

Yesterday I rubbed a chicken with some lemon, crushed garlic, oregano, cumin and salt. Let it rest for about 10 minutes before spreading it with butter, melted at room temp. Roasted on a medium oven. When it cooled down I put it on the fridge.

This evening I shredded it, and mix it with chunks of mango (not too ripe) and avocado, and tossed it with very thinly chopped white onion, coriander (cilantro), lemongrass, papaya seeds, a pinch of salt and white sugar, lemon juice, a dash of dry sherry (Tio Pepe) and a little dash of olive oil.

I want to lose weight (I have to/I am) so I\'m not having any carbs after 5PM. I guess it\'s nice with roasted sweet potatoes dressed with a souer-sweet alioli, and chicken croquettes.

Well, for tomorrows lunch I am going to make a cold chicken peas (garbanzo) salad, with chopped tomatoes, oregano, coriander, white onion and mint. Dressed with a \"vinagrette\" made with some lemon, crushed garlic, salt and pepper, Dijon mustard and olive oil, to which I will add some chunks of grilled spicy merguez.

I LOVE LONDON!

Number0
08-11-2003, 03:08 PM
I forgot to say that because it\'s lunch I can had a couple of toasted pitta bread with a little bit of hummus, which I\'m going to make myself. That\'s why I\'m now boiling some chick peas.

Dinner might well be just a plain herbs and greens salad with a selection of cold meats. I have to go to this Italian deli tomorrow afternoon, so I might come home with lots of nice things... and have to control myself and not buy their almond sweeties.

belgareth
08-19-2003, 04:59 PM
A friend gave me this recipe and I tried it tonight. It was excellent.

1 Pound large scallops cut into bite size pieces
2 6.5 oz cans of minced clams
6-7 1.5\" sliced portabello mushrooms
1/4 cup dry white wine
7 cloves minced garlic
1.5 cups chopped parsley
Light broth (chicken)
1/4 lb Butter

seperate the clams from the juice and set the juice aside.
Dredge the scallops in flour.
Melt the butter in a skillet and add the scallops.
Saute until they start to brown.
Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for one minute.
Dredge the clams in flour.
Add the garlic and clams and cook for another minute.
Mix enough light broth with the clam juice to make 2 cups liquid, pour over scallops and bring to a boil, stirring often.
Boil for about one minute, stir in 1/4 cup dry white wine.
return to a boil, stir in the parsely and remove from heat.

You can add pepper to taste.

Serve over linquine noodles.

Elana
08-21-2003, 01:28 PM
I wish that I could get excited over scallops, but I am just not a fan of seafood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

What else is cooking, people?

SRH...how was your Dorito casserole?

Sexyredhead
08-21-2003, 01:40 PM
oooh, it was really good actually. And I got the recipe, but I have no idea where I put it.

I\'ve got a good, simple mac-n-cheese recipe if you want that. Only simple food around here. Nothing faincy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Elana
08-21-2003, 01:42 PM
I\'ve got a good, simple mac-n-cheese recipe if you want that.

Post it! Love that comfort food /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sexyredhead
08-21-2003, 01:48 PM
Mac-n-Cheese Made Simple--and horribly fattening

1 lb. package sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb. bag elbows or shells pasta
2% milk
butter

Boil the pasta till tender in salted water. Shred all the cheese and put a good layer across the bottom of a casserole dish. Add the pasta to within about half-inch of the top of the sides. Add milk till it\'s almost even with the pasta. Add 3-4 pads of butter randomly around top. Salt and pepper. Then add the rest of the shredded cheese on top, making sure it\'s generously covered. Put in the oven at 350F until the milk starts to bubble and the cheese starts to brown.
Let sit a few minutes on the stove, then serve. (It\'s great the first night, but even better the next day.)

Elana
08-21-2003, 01:51 PM
and horribly fattening

Then you know that it\'s gotta be good.

I\'ll make it, but I am going to use Skim rather than 2%. That\'s all I ever have in the house. I don\'t think it will make much of a difference with all of that butter and cheese

Sexyredhead
08-21-2003, 01:59 PM
It might be a little runny with the skim, I think. But try it and see.

Elana
08-21-2003, 02:00 PM
It might be a little runny with the skim,

I know how to handle that......add lots more cheese /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sexyredhead
08-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Doesn\'t that defeat the purpose of the skim??? lol

That\'ll fix it, I\'m sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Elana
08-21-2003, 02:03 PM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifI am so not anti fat. I am just too lazy to go out and buy the 2%. I already have all the other ingredients.

DaVinciKittie
08-21-2003, 07:18 PM
Ooooo, I\'ve got a good one! I very rarely cook, so this is one of the few that I know. I\'ll apologize in advance for the lack of measurements (I just sort of throw stuff in until it smells good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )...

Tomato and cheese pasta soup:

Ingredients:
Small shell pasta
Lots of chicken stock
Some basil, salt (I use sea salt), rosemary, thyme (feel free to add whatever spices you like)
Some finely chopped green onions and white onions, as well as a couple cloves of pressed garlic
Olive Oil
Can of tomato paste
Lots and lots of shredded cheddar cheese (the sharper the better!)

Procedure:
Saute spices, onions, and garlic in olive oil, in a large pot until aroma is savory (a few minutes)
Add chicken stock and set heat to high or med-high
Once the broth starts a light boil, add cheese and tomato paste (I only use about 3/4 of a small can of paste), and stir frequently. Feel free to add tomato chunks for texture and taste if desired (I abhor cooked tomatoes, so I leave them out).
Cover and simmer.

Cook the pasta until al dente (still slightly firm), and add to broth. Simmer for a few minutes, or until the pasta is ready. Serve!

You can control the soup to pasta ratio as desired- I like to have a large amount of pasta. A friend, for whom I recently made this, recommended cooking the pasta *in* the broth (after it\'s been seasoned of course) to help the pasta retain some of the soup\'s flavor. I haven\'t tried this yet, so LMK how it goes if you end up trying it both ways.

Mozzarella tomatoes

Ingredients:
One whole juicy tomato, sliced thickly
Sliced mozzarella cheese (not the singly wrapped kind- get the good, gourmet kind. It makes a difference!!)
Basil and salt (again, I use sea salt)

Procedure:
Place tomato slices on a pan and salt (and basil if you like) lightly.
Cover each with a mozzarella slice
Add a little more salt and basil on top of the cheese, and cook lightly until the cheese starts to melt.
Remove from oven and serve.

This meal goes especially well with couscous also. Anyway, that\'s the limit of my expertise (I can make a hell of a mojito though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif). Enjoy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

belgareth
08-22-2003, 07:07 AM
A nice simple one. The lady who gave it to me claims it is the original buffalo wings recipe but I don\'t know. They are good though.

In a shallow pan place as many chicken wing sections as possible in a single layer. You want them tightly packed, it comes out better.

Melt one stick of butter (1/4 lb) with a whole bottle (5 oz) of tabasco sauce. Mix well then use the whole batch to baste the wings.

Bake about 30 minutes at 400 degrees, turning once.

You can add more or less tabasco sauce depending on taste. This ratio has a moderate bite.

Elana
08-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Bel...that recipe is very popular on the low carb forums. I have never tried it, but people rave about them. I believe they have zero carbs for those Atkins fans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

belgareth
08-25-2003, 05:08 AM
Bel...that recipe is very popular on the low carb forums. I have never tried it, but people rave about them. I believe they have zero carbs for those Atkins fans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Despite it going against everything I thought I knew about diet and nutrition, those Atkins people seem to be onto a good thing. There have been a lot of research articles in the past couple years that indicate a low carb/high fat diet is better for your overall health than the low fat/high carb ones. Is there anybody out there with some personal experience? I am not interested in weight loss but cholesteral and heart desease are important.

Elana
08-25-2003, 06:06 AM
The South Beach diet is a healthier version of Atkins. It is the \"new\" best diet around. I have low carbed. It works too well. I got down to two digits on this diet. It\'s not my style of eating either, but there is no question about if it works or not.

DaVinciKittie
08-25-2003, 07:36 AM
I\'ve heard some scary stuff about Atkins. Going vegetarian or Vegan is always a choice, but many people shy away from it without ever really considering it due to negative media attention and high profile groups like PETA. I followed the Fit For Life program for about 4 months and it worked *wonderfully* for me (FFL is essentially vegetarian, except you do it to your own degree). PM me if you want more details on my Atkins information or FFL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MysteriousMan
08-25-2003, 11:37 AM
I\'ve heard some scary stuff about Atkins. Going vegetarian or Vegan is always a choice, but many people shy away from it without ever really considering it due to negative media attention and high profile groups like PETA. I followed the Fit For Life program for about 4 months and it worked *wonderfully* for me (FFL is essentially vegetarian, except you do it to your own degree). PM me if you want more details on my Atkins information or FFL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yep. FFL is great. I\'m trying it since about 8 weeks and I\'m feeling great. I\'m doing about 80% FFL because it\'s hard to get something that fits into FFL where I work. And it\'s hard to have fresh salad at home when you are single and you aren\'t eating much at home.

The easiest part of FFL in my situation is fruits in the morning.

Not much weight reduction, but I hadn\'t to starve to achieve it and I\'m feeling good.

MM

Elana
08-25-2003, 11:54 AM
I kind of do my own version of fit for life. I am big into juicing, so that always starts my day. Then I just eat healthy. It\'s really rather simple. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Holmes
08-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Juicing is a great habit to get into.

Holmes

Elana
08-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Juicing and organic fruits and veggies, plenty of yoga. It is the best thing you can do for your body. Anyone for a nice glass of pineapple broccoli? It may look ugly but it tastes fantastic. Apple, carrot, kale......yummy!

Holmes
08-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Apple, carrot, kale......yummy!

Wow, really? I might have to try that.

I do a lot of organic greens and have found that it all takes some experimenting to come up with the right combos (in terms of taste.) I will also admit that wheatgrass does, in fact, rule.

Holmes

Elana
08-25-2003, 01:26 PM
Kale has close to no taste when juiced and mixed with fruits. Spinach when juiced tasted like dirt/soil to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Holmes
08-25-2003, 02:13 PM
OTOH, start adding in things like mint and mustard greens and you gots to be careful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Holmes

Elana
08-25-2003, 06:41 PM
I will also admit that wheatgrass does, in fact, rule.

I like wheatgrass a lot but my juicer can\'t juice it. I treat myself when I go to Whole Foods Market.

tallmacky
08-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Were you always living so healthy? When did you begin all of this Elana and the rest of you?

Elana
08-25-2003, 07:07 PM
I was lucky that my parents where always in the know when it came to nutrition. My Mom breast fed me even though it was totally uncool in her days. We never had white bread, soda or sugared cereal. If you give a kid whole grains, they will grow up loving whole grains. If you watch your parents exercise, you will follow in their footsteps.

Also my jobs have required me to stay in shape, and even though I no longer model, I still love to look my best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Holmes
08-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Yeah, that\'s a good point. If kids aren\'t accustomed to (spoiled by) sugar and such, why would they crave it? That\'s cool that you were brought up that way, Elana.

Myself, I was brought up in an \"everything in moderation\" household (fairly health-conscious, but with a reasonable margin for error). I later took it upon myself to become an exercise fanatic (all in the name of image, of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) and start adopting healthy eating habits and trying out different nutrition plans.

Didn\'t get super-strict, I\'m ashamed to say, until I got (or I should say, was diagnosed with) Lyme Disease about a year ago. After that, all sugar and wheat went completely out the window and I started juicing every day, among a lot of other things.

So /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, while I was always pretty careful nutritionally-speaking, I didn\'t really really buckle down until the sh!t hit the fan.

Holmes

darkness
08-25-2003, 07:42 PM
We never had white bread, soda or sugared cereal.&gt;&gt;

Does that mean you aren\'t into sweet, bubbly caucasian guys?

Elana
08-25-2003, 07:44 PM
We never had white bread, soda or sugared cereal.&gt;&gt;

Does that mean you aren\'t into sweet, bubbly caucasian guys?

That\'s one of my favorite treats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

darkness
08-25-2003, 07:45 PM
hahahaaa

darkness
08-25-2003, 07:48 PM
You\'ve got great taste!

Elana
08-27-2003, 12:11 PM
You\'ve got great taste!

and I taste great.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Elana
08-27-2003, 12:16 PM
I am making Coconut Chicken Satay with Jasmine rice and roasted Broccoli with sesame oil.

What are you eating?

darkness
08-27-2003, 12:17 PM
sesame oil is strong. i assume you have found that out already. you have to be very careful, more then some drops can ruin a dish.

i love you !!!

Elana
08-27-2003, 12:19 PM
I love you more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I always use it sparingly.

franki
08-27-2003, 12:20 PM
All this talk about food, and you are sure you\'re in double-digits (weight-wise) .. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Elana
08-27-2003, 12:22 PM
I freak when I get to double digits. I hold steady at 103

franki
08-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Phew, I was already worrying about you, double digits seemed almost unhealthy to me..

Elana
08-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Phew, I was already worrying about you, double digits seemed almost unhealthy to me..

Yeah...I agree. I was just pointing out that the Atkins diet does work very well when it comes to fast weight lose.

Elana
09-05-2003, 08:28 AM
Tonight for dinner I am making turkey legs in my rotisserie. They are marinating in a ginger/soy marinade. I think I\'ll just serve it with a salad.

What are you eating???

belgareth
09-05-2003, 08:31 AM
Tonight for dinner I am making turkey legs in my rotisserie. They are marinating in a ginger/soy marinade. I think I\'ll just serve it with a salad.

What are you eating???

I was thinking about doing portabello mushrooms stuffed with crab and cream cheese. Your turkey legs sound good too.

Sexyredhead
09-05-2003, 09:19 AM
I\'m having slow-cooked corned beef, green beans steamed with chopped pecans, new potatoes, and cranberry-orange bread for dessert. I\'m feeling domestic today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And I\'ll probably continue to have it for the rest of the weekend. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Andy
09-05-2003, 09:31 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
I freak when I get to double digits. I hold steady at 103

Just like me .. I think I\'d see a physician immediately if I ever reach double digits. Would be cancer or something in that category. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I made myself a steak with a fine mushroom pepperoni sauce and a mixed salad with homemade dressing.

Elana
09-05-2003, 11:47 AM
Bel...your Mushrooms sound outragous! If you make them let us know. I\'ll want details.

SRH...you are one sexy domestic goddess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Your dinner sounds mouth watering. What\'s up with that bread? Is it really sweet like a cake?

belgareth
09-05-2003, 11:54 AM
I\'ve had the recipe for years and love them. Want it?

Sexyredhead
09-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Yes, it\'s a sweet bread kinda like lemon poppyseed or banana nut bread. I\'ll post the recipe when I get home if you want it. It\'s good by itself, but it\'s even better with homemade cream cheese frosting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have guys coming over for football, can you tell? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sexyredhead
09-05-2003, 12:10 PM
Elana, do you have the recipe for that marniade? I bet it\'d be good on chicken too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bel, you MUST post the \'shroom recipe. That sounds delicious! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

belgareth
09-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Mushrooms stuffed with crab and cream cheese:

The original recipe called for the small \'shrooms but I like it better using bigger ones. You can make one for each person who\'ll be eating. Please forgive the approximations on the ingredients, I don\'t often measure things and have never written this one down.

1 1/2 cups crabmeat-Blue or Dunguness work best
6 ounces cream cheese
4 4\"-5\" portabello mushrooms (you can substitute shiitake mushrooms but don\'t use the stems, they are like little pieces of hard rubber)
Green onions-chopped
2-3 gloves Garlic-minced
Fresh ground pepper.
grated cheese (I like really sharp chedder but it\'s good with a mild white cheese too)
Paprika

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
Clean the mushrooms, remove the stems and pat dry. Brush the whole top of the mushrooms with olive oil and place them upside down on a pan with a wire rack.

Depending on the length of the mushroom stems, chop 2-3 of them up. Mix the cream cheese, mushroom stems, a couple chopped green onions, crab meat, garlic and pepper thoroughly. You should have enough mix to fill each of the mushrooms with a generous layer. Use it all.

Bake about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with the cheese (roasted pine nuts can be added just before the cheese if you like.) and return to the oven just long enough to melt the cheese. Lightly garnish with paprika.

belgareth
09-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Yes, it\'s a sweet bread kinda like lemon poppyseed or banana nut bread. I\'ll post the recipe when I get home if you want it. It\'s good by itself, but it\'s even better with homemade cream cheese frosting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I\'d like that recipe myself. There aren\'t enough good breads in creation.

Elana
09-06-2003, 06:50 AM
My marinade....This must be followed to a T for it to come out right....

Throw this crap into a bowl and use it to marinate your food. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.giffinely chopped onions, soy sauce, black pepper,whole star anise, olive oil, grated fresh ginger, honey, brown sugar, hoisin Sauce, garlic

BTW My Turkeys legs were fantastic

I am going to make those mushrooms soon. Anything with crab and cream cheese must be fabulous. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

darkness
09-06-2003, 06:54 AM
whole star anise&gt; what is this

Elana
09-06-2003, 06:59 AM
It\'s the ground up toe nails of a male Skink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It\'s a spice....they are little pods

Sexyredhead
09-06-2003, 07:00 AM
finely chopped onions, soy sauce, black pepper,whole star anise, olive oil, grated fresh ginger, honey, brown sugar, hoisin Sauce, garlic

Ooooh, that sounds good! Will have to write that down so I don\'t forget the intricate details when I make some up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I\'m with you--gotta make the \'shrooms soon!

Sexyredhead
09-06-2003, 07:02 AM
It\'s the ground up toe nails of a male Skink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And it\'s really expensive, cuz the little suckers are hard to keep still long enough to cut their toenails. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sexyredhead
09-06-2003, 07:33 AM
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 tbsp grated orange peel (I\'m a bit liberal with the orange peel)
3/4 cup orange juice
1 egg
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (it says to chop them, but I don\'t)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I like pecans, but you can also use walnuts)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottom only of loaf pan 9 x 5 x 3. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Stir in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in orange peel, orange juice and egg just until moistened; stir in cranberries and nuts. Pour into pan. Bake until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean--55 to 65 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan.
The recipe also says to let it cool completely before you slice it, but it\'s really good warm, so I usually slice it warm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

This is a recipe I got of the net ages ago, but I like it. If you want to be lazy, you can usually find a cranberry-orange bread mix in with the blueberry muffins and stuff on the baking aisle at the grocery store.

belgareth
09-06-2003, 08:04 AM
My marinade....This must be followed to a T for it to come out right....

Throw this crap into a bowl and use it to marinate your food. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.giffinely chopped onions, soy sauce, black pepper,whole star anise, olive oil, grated fresh ginger, honey, brown sugar, hoisin Sauce, garlic

BTW My Turkeys legs were fantastic

I am going to make those mushrooms soon. Anything with crab and cream cheese must be fabulous. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sounds like it might be good for games hens, too. Just pop them on the grill after they\'ve soaked for a while.

I am trying very hard not to make any jokes about your (turkey) legs but it\'s hard to resist.

belgareth
09-06-2003, 08:07 AM
SRH, it sounds wonderful. Especially with the cream cheese frosting.

Elana
09-06-2003, 08:34 AM
I am trying very hard not to make any jokes about your (turkey) legs but it\'s hard to resist.

They are actually very sexy!
If you have never seen them with black stockings a garter belt and 4\" heels, then you don\'t know what a turn on they can be.

No offense, but some of you guys are so inexperienced.

belgareth
09-06-2003, 08:36 AM
I have little doubt but that doesn\'t stop me from being a smarta$$, does it?

Elana
09-06-2003, 09:11 AM
It appears that there is no middle ground when it comes to Cilantro. Either you love it or you hate it. I have heard people that hate it to describe the taste like that of soap.

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION=\"http://www.server2.love-scent.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php\"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME=\"pollname\" VALUE=\"1062864676Elana\">

Cilantro
<input type=\"radio\" name=\"option\" value=\"1\" />I love it
<input type=\"radio\" name=\"option\" value=\"2\" />I hate it
<input type=\"radio\" name=\"option\" value=\"3\" />It\'s OK
<input type=\"radio\" name=\"option\" value=\"4\" />What the hell is it?
<input type=\"radio\" name=\"option\" value=\"5\" />would rather eat a fried skink on a bed of brown rice
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE=\"Submit vote\" class=\"buttons\"></form>

franki
09-06-2003, 09:23 AM
What the hell is it?

belgareth
09-06-2003, 09:48 AM
How about \"It depends on what it\'s in? There are some recipees that can\'t do without it. Others where it ruins the whole danged mess. The plant itself stinks.

Elana
09-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Kraft just came out with a Cilantro pepper Ranch dressing. It\'s so good. Any Mexican dish is 100% better with fresh Cilantro. Cilantro added to sour cream, bean dips, dressings....I love it.

I make a Thai pizza with peanut sauce and cilantro....YUMMY!

Mtnjim
09-08-2003, 11:12 AM
\"What the hell is it? \"

It\'s also known as Coriander.

BassMan
09-08-2003, 12:17 PM
It\'s called coriander when you use the seeds, cilantro when you use the leaves. The flavors are completely unrelated.

-Bass

Mtnjim
09-08-2003, 02:29 PM
\"It\'s called coriander when you use the seeds, cilantro when you use the leaves.\"

Damn, I knew I\'d get busted if I didn\'t give a complete answer! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

belgareth
09-08-2003, 06:38 PM
A friend of mine just returned from New Orleans. She brought back a nice little cookbook with about 100 cajun/creole recipes. Good sounding stuff like shrimp remoulade and creole oxtail soup.

I\'ll be trying some out over the next few weeks and will let you know how they turn and and share a few.

platinumfox
09-10-2003, 07:15 PM
\"Thank you Julia Childish for all your great recipes\" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

belgareth
09-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Tried this recipe over the weekend. It\'s excellent. Went well with fettichini in clam sauce and fresh fruit.

Stuffed Shrimp (serves 6)

3 Dozen Jumbo Shrimp-raw
4 Tablespoons chopped bell peppers
3 ribs chopped celery
1 large chopped onion
1 clove garlic-pressed
1/4 pound butter
6 slices white bread soaked in 1/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
1/2 pound crab meat
3/4 cup chopped raw shrimp
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3-4 drops tabasco sauce
pinch of celery salt and garlic salt
flour
2 eggs beaten with 1/2 cup milk
cooking oil
bread crumbs

Peel devein and butterfly the large shrimp.
Saute\' the onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic in butter unlti limp but not brown. Squeeze the bread dry and add to veggies with the beaten eggs.
cook a few minutes more, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Add chopped shrimp and cook until tender but firm. Add crabmeat andseasoning. Heat gently, stirring constantly.
Stuff the butterflied shrimp with the mixture and freeze until hard. Dip the shrimp in flour, then in the milk and egg dip then the bread crumbs. Fry at 350 for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown.

Elana
11-09-2003, 12:02 PM
I went to Sam\'s club today to

stock up on my meats, cheeses and some produce. I got a huge container of those little Grape Tomatoes. Does anyone

know if I can blanch some of them and freeze them for sauces? There is no way I could eat them all before they go

bad.

belgareth
11-10-2003, 05:23 PM
I checked with a friend who

does a lot more of that than I do. She said it should be fine.

Elana
11-11-2003, 04:57 AM
Thanks Bel.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I really went overboard with the amount.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

belgareth
11-11-2003, 04:59 AM
Sam\'s club will do that.

Elana
11-11-2003, 05:01 AM
I don\'t know what you are

talking about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

belgareth
11-11-2003, 05:04 AM
It was just a rumor I

heard.

Sexyredhead
12-06-2003, 07:03 AM
Got a question for

those in the know:

How much ground cardamon could you use to equal 6 cardamom pods? I have a good recipe that

calls for cardamom pods that must be ground, but I\'m not gonna find cardamom pods anywhere near here. I just have

ground cardamom.

Any ideas?

Elana
12-06-2003, 07:10 AM
That\'s a tough one. Cardamom

pods are pretty small. Their shell disintegrates when you cook it. I have never been much for measuring things.

Maybe each pod would be 1/4 teaspoon. I really don\'t know.

What are you making? Maybe that will help to figure

out an appropriate amount.

Sexyredhead
12-06-2003, 09:15 AM
I found a really

good recipe for chai concentrate that you can keep in the fridge for a few weeks and just add milk in equal parts as

you want some. I like it better than hot cocoa when it\'s cold.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Here\'s the recipe:

Crush together:
2 t black pepper
2 t

fresh ginger root
6 pods cardamom
10\" cinnamon stick
3 t cloves

Add to 8c water. Bring to a boil and cook on

medium for 10 min. Add 8tsp black tea. (Darjeeling is a good one.) Steep for 8 min or so. Strain out spices and tea.

Add 1tsp vanilla and 3tsp honey. Refrigerate. Heat as needed with equal parts milk.

Sounds yummy, no?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

koolking1
12-08-2003, 05:42 AM
People who don\'t

like cilantro have one fewer gene than those that do like it - honest!

Elana
12-08-2003, 05:45 AM
SRH...use about 1/4

teaspoons per 4 servings.

Elana
12-08-2003, 05:46 AM
</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
People who don\'t like cilantro have one fewer gene than those that do like

it - honest!

I believe that.

Sexyredhead
12-08-2003, 05:51 AM
SRH...use about 1/4 teaspoons per 4 servings.

Thanks, sugar beet.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Elana
12-08-2003, 06:00 AM
</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
SRH...use about 1/4 teaspoons per 4 servings.

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

Thanks, sugar beet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You\'re

welcome, butter scotch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belgareth
02-07-2004, 10:04 AM
This thread needed reviving

and I just tried this one last week. Tedious to make but...Excellent!

2 pounds ground walnuts
2 pounds ground

almonds
1/2 pound melted butter
Fillo dough

2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/4 cups water.

Mix the

ground nuts together.
Spread an even layer of butter on a 12\" X 17\" baking sheet and place two layers of fillo

dough on it.
Spread a layer of butter on the top layer of dough and sprinkle with a layer of ground nuts.
Cover

with 2 more layers of dough and spread butter then nuts on the top layer. Keep repeating this process until you run

out of nuts. Use the remaining butter on the top layer of dough.

Cut into 2\" squares, then into triangles.

It\'s difficult to do but a long thin knife works pretty well.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. The

tops should be golden brown.

While it is baking place the sugar and cinnamon in a pan and pour the water over it.

Cook until it is about as thick as honey. When the pastry is done, pour the hot/warm sugar water mixture over it and

allow it to soak in.

tallmacky
02-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Ok here is one of the best

recipes, that I will release to the public. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

- Two pieces of

bread
- A jar of peanut butter
- A jar of Strawberry Jelly.
- Two different butter knifes.
- A

plate

Take one peace of bread and cover one side with Peanut butter, be as liberal as you want. Take the

other piece of bread and cover one side with Jelly.

Now here is the tricky part, take the two pieces from

each covered side and stick them together, and eat. Dinner in 30 seconds.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-----------

I always here about Baklava on Iron Chef, cool.