PDA

View Full Version : National "Do Not Call" List!

upsidedown
06-27-2003, 08:39 PM
Here\'s the web site where you can get your telephone numbers removed from being called by most telemarketers.

http://www.donotcall.gov/ (\"http://www.donotcall.gov/\")

This applies the United States only. I don\'t know if other countries have this problem or not. But this has been long overdue in the U.S.A. IMHO.

druid
06-28-2003, 01:52 PM
did you know that if these companies call you and violate the telecommunications privacy act that YOU can get $500 bucks for each infringement, up to 10G\'s!? i think one lady got the full 10 from discover. now that would be great.

one of my favorites things to do to telemarketers, is listen for a little at first and then tell them \"oh that sounds great I am really interested in that, but could you hold on for ONE moment?\" then put the phone down and see how long they will wait before hanging up. i had one wait like 10 mins. this is great because you waste their time and they can\'t call as many other people and therefore telemarketing becomes a less profitable venture.

druid
06-28-2003, 01:54 PM
one more thing, hardcore telemarkting has been going on for some time in the US, I think somewhere around 10-15 years. Well for it to go on that long it has to be making some money, which means it is working, which means that some people are actually buying the stuff they are selling!!!!!!!!!! Now I want to know who these arse-holes are so I can beat the crap out of them.

franki
06-28-2003, 01:55 PM
I once tried to be a telemarketer (I worked a few days at a company here), and I think it is one of the most depressing jobs there is. Next time some of those people is calling you, please be nice to them.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

druid
06-28-2003, 02:00 PM
i\'m sorry but I can\'t stand \'em and if I have time I like to fck with \'em, otherwise I just hangup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

upsidedown
06-28-2003, 02:21 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
I once tried to be a telemarketer (I worked a few days at a company here), and I think it is one of the most depressing jobs there is. Next time some of those people is calling you, please be nice to them.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

I know it\'s a tough job, and I always try to be nice. However, recently it\'s gotten to the point where they use computers to call out, and most of the time the phone rings and there\'s nobody on the other end...because a machine did the calling and didn\'t connect me to one of their live employees. This should eleminate that annoyance for me now.

I know a lot of people buy stuff, but I suspect the people opting out are the one\'s who never buy anything. So, theoretically, they should be reaching better potential customers once the non-interested opt out.

Bruce
06-28-2003, 02:43 PM
I\'ve already registered all our phones. I had to wait until the middle of the night to get thru on the website, but it feels great to have a defense against those swine. They even have a \"register a complaint\" link on the website. Finally a system that could work and it is getting a lot of publicity.

Bruce

belgareth
06-28-2003, 02:49 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

They choose the job, I have no obligation to be nice to them. Over a period of six business days, one company called me nine times. Why should I be nice, that\'s blatant harrasment. If we bother you often enough maybe you\'ll break down and buy something.

franki
06-28-2003, 02:53 PM
My comment was not meant to be 100% serious. Actually I wouldn\'t be nice to people who bother/harass me like that. But you should rather blame the employer of those people, than the people who are only doing their job..

belgareth
06-28-2003, 02:57 PM
And the faster they get disgusted and quit their jobs, the more difficult it is for their employer.

druid
06-29-2003, 03:02 PM
i agree with bel on this. Mastercard (or one of the CC companies) called me like 3 times in a 4 hour time period. it was crazy.

biteme
07-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Just to let everyone know, here\'s an excerpt from msnbc.com in regards to the donotcall.gov registry thing:

Parker said as many as 3 million consumers who think they\'ve kicked the calls from telemarketers are in for a nasty surprise. Apparently, a simple step they skipped while registering could come back to bite them in the form of continued calls.

The problem arises in a follow-up step.

\"When you sign up for the national do-not-call registry via the government\'s Web site, you are not officially registered until you receive a confirmation e-mail,\" Parker said. At that point, consumers have to respond within 72 hours in order to complete the process.

The Federal Trade Commission says it is possible some of the millions who did not complete that second step either; a) neglected to open the confirmation e-mail in time; b) don\'t have the software to accommodate the do-not-call hyperlink; or c) simply mistyped their e-mail in the rush to sign up.

For the full article:

http://www.msnbc.com/local/wmaq/A1687494.asp (\"http://www.msnbc.com/local/wmaq/A1687494.asp\")