PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Trivia Contests

Bruce
06-27-2003, 06:29 AM
Folks,
I would like to have a weekly trivia contest of some sort every Friday and give away a bottle of pheros to the winner. I love doing stuff like that, but there is a logistic problem in this day and age, that recent events have brought to my attention. Every time I\'ve asked a boomer-era trivia question here on the forum, the winner has found the answer with a Google search. Not that I want to favor the boomers with all questions of that type, but how the heck can I formulate a question that can\'t be immediately solved with a quick web-search?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Bruce

upsidedown
06-27-2003, 06:35 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
. . . but how the heck can I formulate a question that can\'t be immediately solved with a quick web-search?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

I think you just did! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

belgareth
06-27-2003, 06:35 AM
Rather than using trivia, do a talent/humor contest and let the members vote on the best. Something like finish this sentence then we all vote on the funniest or best answer. That way, there is no search capability and everybody can participate in the contest and the voting.

Bruce
06-27-2003, 07:19 AM
Rather than using trivia, do a talent/humor contest and let the members vote on the best. Something like finish this sentence then we all vote on the funniest or best answer. That way, there is no search capability and everybody can participate in the contest and the voting.

Good idea. Long ago, I used to post funny looking photos I got from the newspaper and have folks make up captions.

Bruce

belgareth
06-27-2003, 08:41 AM
Another thought is a game we used to play when I ran a tech support department. The person who posted the most bizarre issue or problem each week got lunch. It degressed into a \'Dumb things customers do\' forum but was a blast. I used to read the winners at our weekly meetings.

You could do something similar like odd things seen, read or heard in the last week or the lamest pick up line heard. This world of ours should provide plenty of fodder. And it would provide us with plenty of laughs while deciding which to vote on.

Sagacious1420
06-27-2003, 12:09 PM
This world of ours should provide plenty of fodder. And it would provide us with plenty of laughs while deciding which to vote on.

You said it, brotha! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

belgareth
06-27-2003, 12:56 PM
This world of ours should provide plenty of fodder. And it would provide us with plenty of laughs while deciding which to vote on.

You said it, brotha! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Only stating the obvious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

DaVinciKittie
06-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Another thought is a game we used to play when I ran a tech support department. The person who posted the most bizarre issue or problem each week got lunch. It degressed into a \'Dumb things customers do\' forum but was a blast. I used to read the winners at our weekly meetings.

You could do something similar like odd things seen, read or heard in the last week or the lamest pick up line heard. This world of ours should provide plenty of fodder. And it would provide us with plenty of laughs while deciding which to vote on.

The only problem I can see with that is that some people might start making stuff up just to see if they can win. You might end up with a plethora of ridiculous and pointless messages and threads. I think the photo captions idea is good- they do that on the Star Wars website (not for prizes tho) and some of those are *really* funny. I\'m not sure about the forum members voting tho, b/c that could just turn into a kind popularity contest or could bring politics into play. Maybe have just Bruce or the mods make the decision? Just my thoughts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

belgareth
06-27-2003, 02:27 PM
DVK,

You\'ve got some good points. We could hope for honesty but there is no way of enforcing it so there would probably be problems. The finish this sentance game wouldn\'t have that problem.

While I would rather have the forum members voting instead of the moderators, it would reduce the possibility of popularity contests if the mods only voted.

I\'m in for whatever will be fun for everybody and can be done without the politically correct BS that so mars every other fun activity around.

franki
06-27-2003, 03:09 PM

While I would rather have the forum members voting instead of the moderators, it would reduce the possibility of popularity contests if the mods only voted.

At least the american moderators on here have good taste. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The same cannot be said of the european mod..

CptKipling
06-28-2003, 08:09 AM
I like the photo caption idea, most other stuff can be stolen by a quick web search (jokes etc).