PDA

View Full Version : The Perfume Thread

Andy
06-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Good morning ladies and gents,

I just want to exchange some information in this thread about the pheromone\'s siamese twins ... the perfumes. This was inspired by the cover-scent thread and I just want to announce my personal favs for this year, additions and opinions appreciated. I am absolutely unable to give the scents rankings so I am just throwing them into one bucket.
I\'ll just post over the counter scents because scents like \"X\", \"Clive Christian for Men\" and \"Amouage\" are a completely different category.

Private
Thierry Mugler \"Cologne\"
Clinique \"Happy\"

Casual
\"Emporio Armani\"
\"Truth\" CK
Jil Sander \"Sun for Man\"
\"Bulgari pour Homme\" (Extreme)
\"Baldessarini\" Hugo Boss
Bogner \"Wood\"
\"Polo\" (the new version)
\"Chrome\" Azzaro

Casual/warm weather
Burberry \"Weekend Man\"
\"Emporio Armani White\"
\"Acqua di Gio\"
\"L\'Eau d\'Issey\"
\"Higher\" Dior
\"Truth\" CK
Davidoff \"Goodlife\"

Evening
\"Joop!\"
\"A*Man\" Thierry Mugler
\"M7\" YSL
\"Opium\" YSL
Gucci \"Envy\"
Montblanc \"Presence\"
Jil Sander \"Sun\"
\"212\" Herrera
\"Herrera\"

Evening/warm weather
\"212\" Herrera
\"Herrera\"
Jil Sander \"Sun\"
Gucci \"Envy\"
Montblanc \"Presence\"
\"Roccoco\" Joop
Ralph Laurent \"Romance\"
Joop \"Nightflight\"

I am still waiting for Essenza di Zegna by Ermenegildo Zegna of the new Gucci/YSL group. I am really nervous about this scent because Jacques Cavellier worked on this one too. He was the main designer that worked on M7 for YSL and the mix of citrus notes, musk and amber sounds like something really interesting to me. ... We\'ll see ...

Most Loved Female Scents
\"Poison\"
\"Sun\" JS
\"J\'adore\" Dior
\"Angel\" Thierry Mugler

Hungry
06-20-2003, 02:42 AM
Hi Andy.

I\'m really impressed. I could never juggle so many cover scents. Still, you\'ve inspired me to go shopping for a couple more.

But I have a couple of points.

1) With so many cover scents, I\'m guessing you rotate them a lot. Personally, I think scent is part of what identifies a person. I often know who is nearby without seeing them, purely by their scent. I figure most people would do this to a degree, so aren\'t you afraid of confusing people by changing your scent so often?

2) You mention a couple of warm-weather categories, I guess since it\'s summer up there past the equator. What are your favourite cold-weather fragrances?

3) \"Baldessarini\", I\'m surprised you list this as a casual scent. I always thought it was a fairly formal scent. And definitely an \"old guy\" smell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif It\'s probably the tobacco. I like it, but don\'t think I could wear it for another 15-20 years. Just wondering why you think it\'s a casual scent, in terms of its character.

4) Dior\'s \"Higher\", this is an enigma to me. I find most fragrances to be very strong, even overpowering, because my sense of smell is very sensitive. But for some reason, I can barely smell \"Higher\". This is the only one I\'ve had this problem with. Even with a couple of full sprays I\'ll only detect the faintest scent. People keep telling me it smells wonderful too. Sooo, what does it smell like? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5) There are many really nice scents there, but so different. I tend to look for fragrances that suit me. But maybe I\'ve got it the wrong way around. Maybe I should be looking for fragrances that suit the person I want to be. Anyway, my question is how do you choose which scent to wear? Is it based on mood, or whimsey, or your outfit or your intentions or a Magic 8-Ball or what?

Hungry

Andy
06-20-2003, 04:45 AM
Hi Hungry,

1. Yup, it\'s confusing people a lot. But as soon as it comes to dating and stuff I wear only two scents for each girl. I choose my pick to fit the personal taste and type of my target.

2. I like heavy scents for cold days, think about Opium, M7, A*Man aso. It\'s important because we tend to smell less good in wintertime.

3.Baldessarini is a really special case. It remembered me instantly of an old italian aftershave, just more refined. I like to wear it every time when I am in \"gentleman-mode\" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I wouldn\'t say it\'s an \"old guy\" smell, it\'s just something for the real gentleman kind and I think everybody around 25 with a decent taste and behavior is able to wear it.

4.Uhh ... I don\'t want to have your olfactory system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Higher smells like Tommy (Tommy Hilfiger) just more refined and a little lighter. It\'s a perfect scent for warm days without formal activities. It\'s a really straight scent, without twists like L\'eau d\'Issey.

5.It\'s mainly based on my outfit and mood, it\'s even based on the car I am about to drive that day. Either that or my 2scents/girl rule. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

camusflage
06-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Quite the collection. I have about forty or so colognes, with significant overlap with your collection.

A couple of notes.. Ever try equal sprays of Cologne followed by A*Men directly on top? It REALLY cuts down on the sharpness of the latter (and is actually what I\'m wearing today). I\'m surprised that you\'d consider Cologne and Happy to be \"private\". To me, they\'re about as casual as scents come. Personally, I like M7 as a daytime scent. It has many of the same notes as Envy, but much more subdued.

With warm weather upon us where I live, I\'ve started getting some of my summery scents back into the rotation and pushing some of the winter scents back. Escada, Miracle, and Nobile have gone back to the bottom of the pile, with Allure, Hanae Mori, and 360 coming out a lot more. I\'ve also been digging on Safari as a warm weather scent, surprising considering how well it works on crisply cold days. Yohji Homme has been getting some air time as well.

Andy
06-20-2003, 01:38 PM
I have to say that I actually like the sharp notes that are shooting out of the base all the way up in A*Man. They seem kinda misplaced but seem to fit the scent perfectly. I have really no idea how to describe this effect. What I like to do is taking tame scents a little into the dirty category by adding good patchouly oil. I discovered this some time ago with Acqua di Gio and have tested it with many scents since then.

You might be right with Cologne and Happy, but I think that\'s a personal taste thing. I like both and they make me feel good, but there\'s something missing that makes them something I just want to wear with really nothing up.
M7 is really a heavy hitter and might be too much to non-asian (non-japanese in particular) noses. That\'s because of the high saturation of aloeswood. I am really not sure if I am able to agree with the Envy comparison. I don\'t think they have much in common.

Allure absolutely turns into poison on my skin on warm days. I am only able to wear it at fall/winter days.

Hungry
06-21-2003, 04:12 AM
I\'ve just come back from an afternoon testing fragrances. I\'d have to say M7 is my favourite of the bunch. It\'s different enough to satisfy my sense of individuality, and has a sort of dark sweetness that suits me nicely. You list it as an evening scent, but it\'ll work nicely for me during the day as well, because it matches my personality. I scored a couple of aftershave samples, but I\'m pretty much sold on it anyway so I\'ll definitely buy it.

I also tried A*Men for the first time today, since people on here seem to love it. Well, I hated it at first. The hot and sweet notes seemed to clash too much. I found it a little repulsive actually. I stuck the little card in my pocket though, wanting to see how it dried down. About two hours later it smelled ok. After about 4 hours it smelled even better. Intense and evocative, and very familiar. At this point it was very similar to an incense used in Greek Orthodox churches, believe it or not, although a little sweeter. I\'ve always loved that scent, although Ive never considered wearing it before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I\'m going to go back tomorrow and try some on my skin. Hopefully it\'ll smell better for the first couple of hours. I keep reading about how sweet it smells, but to me the hotter notes were far more dominant and more interesting.

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
RE Baldessarini: I wouldn\'t say it\'s an \"old guy\" smell, it\'s just something for the real gentleman kind and I think everybody around 25 with a decent taste and behavior is able to wear it.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

That explains why I can\'t wear it.

Hungry

Andy
06-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Don\'t test A*Men on a card only, it has to be applied to your skin to unfold it\'s true potential (or turn to poison on some skintypes). I think A*Men is one of those love or hate scents, there\'s not much between.

Hungry
06-22-2003, 12:27 AM
Tried A*Men on my skin today. It was disappointing. My skin completely suppressed the hot notes I found intriguing on the sample card. All I can smell on my skin is choc-caramel. It\'s quite pleasant, but not very interesting.

In contrast, M7 turns into richly scented honey on my skin, dark and sensual, luxurious and exotic. It\'s very sexy. I\'ll buy the M7.

Hungry

Andy
06-22-2003, 03:16 AM
It\'s these choc-candy smell that many women love.

oscar
06-22-2003, 10:22 AM
Just a heads up.

For anyone who\'s a fan of Creed\'s Green Irish Tweed, I just noticed it for the absolute BEST price I\'ve ever seen it at The Perfume Spot. You may be able to find it cheaper on e-bay, but this is brand new, first quality, straight from the manufacturer goods. Not some dubious second hand stuff.

http://store.yahoo.com/theperfumespot/awcgit4s.html (\"http://store.yahoo.com/theperfumespot/awcgit4s.html\")

I bought mine from this outfit and had it in two days with the cheap shipping option. They even threw in a couple of sample tubes of some other stuff too.

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

camusflage
06-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Scentiments.com (\"http://www.scentiments.com/scentiments/product.asp?dept%5Fid=3&amp;sku=1388&amp;mscssid=K6XLFH3AB K7T8LLCSEBPN470QR9JASF5\") has GIT for $67.29. I\'ve ordered from them several times (as have other fragrance fiends) without any problems. In fact, I bought my bottle of GIT from them when they were selling 4.0 testers of it for under $50.