PDA

View Full Version : Remember what you are ....

Andy
06-12-2003, 06:24 AM
I came to think about a few things while lying sleepless in my bed. I remembered how I\'ve been in my early youth, first love and such stuff. Everything was new and I\'ve been filled with a strong desire for adventure, exploration of the world was one of my passions. Everything was interesting, frightening and wonderfull at the same time. Lying hours and hours in bed with my first gf, exploring each others bodies (that\'s why I came to think, because I found an old cd that we used to hear over and over back then).

I think we are loosing too much of our passion and devotion over the years, many things become routine and uninteresting to a high degree. Many people simply forget how it has been to be young and a freshman in this world. I think we should recover and keep some of the qualities we had when we were young. I am glad I remembered what I\'ve been back then .. and most important .. how I wanted to be in the future ...

Just some thoughts.

DaVinciKittie
06-12-2003, 01:31 PM
I\'ve been thinking about this a lot lately too. So many people are unhappy with their lives... jobs, SOs, friends...
It\'s really depressing. I don\'t want that to ever happen to me, and it\'s really frightening b/c it seems to be happening to everyone around me who\'s older. Anyway, thanks for posting Andy- it\'s nice to know that I\'m not the only one who thinks about this.

Andy
06-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Awww ... don\'t be afraid, just remember always that life is simply too short to worry about things.

belgareth
06-12-2003, 05:00 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
I\'ve been thinking about this a lot lately too. So many people are unhappy with their lives... jobs, SOs, friends...
It\'s really depressing. I don\'t want that to ever happen to me, and it\'s really frightening b/c it seems to be happening to everyone around me who\'s older. Anyway, thanks for posting Andy- it\'s nice to know that I\'m not the only one who thinks about this.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

While I was growing up my dad repeatedly emphasized this point: follow what you want, not what the world expects of you. He was an engineer that went into government research because it was so much fun doing research instead of making more money in private industry. He never regretted it.

Another way of putting it comes from Carlos Castanada\'s books. He was quoting an old indian sorcerer by the name of Don Juan. I probably don\'t have the words exactly right but they are close. \"One path goes into the bush, the other goes around it. Both paths lead the same place in the end beacause we all die eventually. Choose the path that has heart, that you are happy following. Any other choice will be the wrong one.\" The words have to do with his philosophy of leading a deliberate life rather than allowing other forces to control your life.

It makes a lot of sense.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Belgareth, that was so good.

I keyed in on the word \"routine\" in Andy\'s post. Routine is a killer and if overdone, can make your life joyless. It\'s important to stretch yourself if you feel yourself getting into a rut. Continue to reinvent yourself. Do something new as often as you have the opportunity, even if you think you won\'t like it. Sometimes you surprise yourself, and then the joy comes back. Keep discovering, there\'s no end of things to discover. And be absolutely true to yourself because you\'re here for a reason.

The people I know who are unhappy are the people who always did what they thought they were supposed to and never took any chances. They ended up with too full a plate of routine and obligations and not enough room for joy. It doesn\'t have to be that way, but sometimes for it not to be that way, you have to color outside the lines. Don\'t be afraid to color outside the lines.

belgareth
06-13-2003, 02:25 AM
Carlos Castanada/Don Juan\'s philosophy that you should live each day as if it could be your last day is a good one. It adds a lot to your life when you accept the fact that it could end at any time. Being content with who and what you are and always stretching yourself helps a lot too.

Andy
06-13-2003, 04:30 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
Carlos Castanada/Don Juan\'s philosophy that you should live each day as if it could be your last day is a good one.

In fact every could be your last day.

Charisma
06-13-2003, 08:45 AM
Carlos Castanada/Don Juan\'s philosophy that you should live each day as if it could be your last day is a good one.

And yet: put aside some money in case it\'s not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

belgareth
06-13-2003, 10:57 AM

And yet: put aside some money in case it\'s not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes, indeed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

oscar
06-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Brer Wolfe used the following quote as a one time signature on a New Year\'s post this year, and it stuck with me:

\"Dream as if you\'ll live forever, Live as if you\'ll die tomorrow\"
James Dean

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

belgareth
06-13-2003, 04:29 PM
That\'s kind of like Ben Franklin\'s \"Always hope for the best and expect the worst. You are rarely disappointed and often pleasantly surprised.\"

bundyburger
06-14-2003, 04:28 AM
Oscar, I remembered that sig. too! ...one of the best ones ever used here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Was it only used once?!? ...well there you go.

proteus
06-14-2003, 05:02 AM
So what are y\'all actually doing to live up to this philosophy?

belgareth
06-14-2003, 05:30 AM

Who are you asking?

**DONOTDELETE**
06-14-2003, 06:34 AM

Surely you\'re not asking me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belgareth
06-14-2003, 07:28 AM

Red,

You probably reinvent yourself more than the rest of us combined. And have a blast doing it, I might add. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

proteus
06-14-2003, 07:31 AM

Definitely not asking you FTR !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif - you\'re about as adventurous a lady as I could ever imagine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

My question was more general to anyone who said they try to live according to the whole \"carpe diem\" way of life, just to find out what they do along these lines.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-14-2003, 07:32 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

belgareth
06-14-2003, 08:22 AM
My question was more general to anyone who said they try to live according to the whole \"carpe diem\" way of life, just to find out what they do along these lines.

My apologies in advance to anybody I offend here.

I do exactly what I preach, everyday. My time is not wasted sitting in front of the television, never waste my precious time in such an irresponsible manner. Nor is it spent worrying or trying to appease a problematical diety or worrying that others may or may not be doing so. I bend my knee to no man or god. Yet, I never try to dominate another. I rarely have regrets about my actions because I freely choose what I do and do not do.

Time is devoted almost every day to learning something new, that\'s how I found this forum. At least one semester every year, I take a class; anything from sociology to advanced mathematics to cultivation.

Every time I encounter a child, I try to make them laugh or smile, you\'d be amazed at how often I get dirty looks for making faces at a kid sitting in the car next to mine at a stop light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Let me ask this, how many of you are truly happy with who and what you are? If you are not happy, why is that? Is it because somebody else is forcing you to feel that way? Or is it because you have made the decision to feel that way? Unless you answer that you are choosing to be unhappy yourself, I suggest that you need to rethink your life. How can you allow another to dictate your internal feelings and motivations? Can you call yourself free when you allow others to tell you how to think and feel? From my perspective, that is lazy, cowardly and irresponsible. You cannot name a situation that you did not choose to be in, whether it is love, work or your society, you choose to be there. If you are unhappy, make the choice, freely and with careful thought, to change what you allow to make you unhappy.

Who is in charge of your life?

**DONOTDELETE**
06-14-2003, 04:12 PM
What he said.

proteus
06-15-2003, 03:52 AM
Very cool approach to life Belgareth. More of us need to have this attitude towards living. I used to try to live this way, but lately I\'m also trying to adopt a simplicity approach, that is cutting down on \"doing\" all the time. With so much input coming our way everyday from all directions I think many folks are actually suffering from input overload to the brain and senses.

So I think there might be something to slowing down, cutting down on useless activity and focusing only on those few activities that one feels are important to one\'s growth.

belgareth
06-15-2003, 04:55 AM
Proteus:

It works for me. Some people think I work too hard but it isn\'t true. I am really a hedonist who has found a way to get paid for my hobby. The important points to my way of living is that I am happy and share that happiness with as many others as possible. Life is simple because the only complexities allowed are the ones I choose. The rest, and all the complicated crap I see, I choose to avoid.

My explanation only scratches the surface of my beliefs but I doubt you guys really want to hear a long speil about how to live \'right\'.

Goddess
06-16-2003, 02:49 PM
Hear hear. I not only had gotten in a rut, but in the last six months (beginning with the use of -mones) I am systematically eliminating the walls of the rut. I am enjoying life again! I decided with my last B-day that I will do the things I\'ve always wanted to do or have stopped doing: get a tattoo, learn to sky-dive, get another degree, travel, make myself look as good as I can and look forward to each day as if it\'s my last (cuz who knows??). As a side benefit of this, my guy says that he is now more turned on by me than he has been in a few years! Well, yippee for me...this is making my (sex) life so much better and interesting. And I don\'t want to grow old and wish I\'d done things differently. Do you?
-G-

belgareth
06-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Good for you Goddess!

So long as you know why you made your choices, you are way ahead of most the world.

It sure feels good, doesn\'t it?

Goddess
06-16-2003, 03:03 PM
Bel - You bet your a$$ it does!!! -G-

MOBLEYC57
06-16-2003, 03:27 PM
I came to think about a few things while lying sleepless in my bed. I remembered how I\'ve been in my early youth, first love and such stuff. Everything was new and I\'ve been filled with a strong desire for adventure, exploration of the world was one of my passions. Everything was interesting, frightening and wonderfull at the same time. Lying hours and hours in bed with my first gf, exploring each others bodies (that\'s why I came to think, because I found an old cd that we used to hear over and over back then).

I think we are loosing too much of our passion and devotion over the years, many things become routine and uninteresting to a high degree. Many people simply forget how it has been to be young and a freshman in this world. I think we should recover and keep some of the qualities we had when we were young. I am glad I remembered what I\'ve been back then .. and most important .. how I wanted to be in the future ...

Just some thoughts.

Somehow, somewhere, our wires get crossed. The need to be ahead of the pack with material things have somehow caused many to forget the loving caresses of yesterday. But ask one of yesterdays pain, and you\'ll find it on the frontburner of their brain. In the rat race, one never gets to see the roses, because one doesn\'t take that second to look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Now look what you\'ve done!!!! I\'m wanting to ride me little red tricycle with me (What\'s that thing that turns around like a windmill called? The one that turns with the wind, and it comes on a stick.), yeah! that thing, on the handlebar!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Got\'a egg that I can egg Andy with for causing such a thought? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Andy
06-16-2003, 05:25 PM
I think I burned some of my synapses on your last sentence Mobley.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Whirligig, but what\'s that got to do with the price of tea in China?

MOBLEYC57
06-16-2003, 08:18 PM
I think I burned some of my synapses on your last sentence Mobley.

Sorry...Guess you\'re just gonna have to use hand delivery. You don\'t need no stinking synapses!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MOBLEYC57
06-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Whirligig, but what\'s that got to do with the price of tea in China?

Sorry again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...but Andy brought back me memories of me tricycle. And a tricycle wasn\'t a tricycle without a whirligig on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif That way...I got to ride my tricycle to China with the power of me whirligig guiding me, and striked on the tea prices, which were three cent a teabag, at the time. Triyoungnow, Hesawthing, Hoeshemean, and I discussed the price over of popcycles for hours at a time!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif If it weren\'t for me...it would have gone up to five cents a teabag!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif