PDA

View Full Version : Adhesive removal

Sexyredhead
06-09-2003, 09:14 AM
I\'m trying to fix up an old cedar chest. I took off the duct tape that had been used to hold the lid down, but there\'s still adhesive on the wood. Anybody know how to get the adhesive off without ruining the wood?

belgareth
06-09-2003, 09:18 AM
Try rubbing alcohol first. If that doesn\'t work, try lighter fluid or charcol starter. Both are excelent solvents that will not harm the wood. A soft, white cloth or paper towell makes the best applicator. Don\'t rub it in so much as dab it on then wipe the gunk off.

In either case, please be very careful! You probably don\'t need to be reminded of the hazards of using those for solvents, do you?

Elana
06-09-2003, 09:47 AM
I am so jealous of people that are handy like that. I have so many ideas that I just wish I could do without it looking like a 6 year old did it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

belgareth
06-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Readers digest has a great book called The Book of Skills and Tools. It\'s well worth purchasing. You\'ll learn a lot from it.

Sexyredhead
06-09-2003, 10:06 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Try rubbing alcohol first. If that doesn\'t work, try lighter fluid or charcol starter. Both are excelent solvents that will not harm the wood. A soft, white cloth or paper towell makes the best applicator. Don\'t rub it in so much as dab it on then wipe the gunk off.

In either case, please be very careful! You probably don\'t need to be reminded of the hazards of using those for solvents, do you?

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Well, after I came to from using those solvents in an enclosed area with no open windows...

j/k

I thought the alcohol would dry the wood out, and it\'s a really old chest (was my great-grandmother\'s). Would rubbing a little oil on those spots afterwards help keep it from drying out?

belgareth
06-09-2003, 10:19 AM
The best oil I know of for wood is boiled linseed. You can also get it in combination with beeswax for a really nice finish. It\'s a lot of work but it sure is pretty.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-09-2003, 10:23 AM
A product called Goof Off. Specifically made to take off adhesive residue.
http://www.goof-off.com/ (\"http://www.goof-off.com/\")

Sexyredhead
06-09-2003, 10:34 AM
&lt;Goof-Off&gt;

Ya know, I think I have some of that around here somewhere. Forgot all about it.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sexyredhead
06-09-2003, 10:36 AM
The best oil I know of for wood is boiled linseed. You can also get it in combination with beeswax for a really nice finish. It\'s a lot of work but it sure is pretty.

That\'s what my grandmother uses, and it makes things beautiful!

Elana, have a go at it. It\'s not hard. You just have to remember that you don\'t have to finish it all today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

belgareth
06-09-2003, 10:45 AM

That\'s what my grandmother uses, and it makes things beautiful!

Elana, have a go at it. It\'s not hard. You just have to remember that you don\'t have to finish it all today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SRH,
It makes a nice finish on almost any wood. The beeswax adds water repelancy and seals in the oil. You have to hand rub it with cheesecloth. It\'s worth the work, especially on old wood. Be a little careful with goof off, it can leave a minor residue.

Elana
Go buy a piece of hardwood, like oak. It doesn\'t need to be big or anything, just a flat surface. Sand and finish it yourself, you\'ll see how easy and rewarding it can be.

belgareth
06-09-2003, 10:55 AM

Well, after I came to from using those solvents in an enclosed area with no open windows...

j/k

There was a Darwin Award nominee last year or the year before that used gasoline to remove the glue from a carpeted floor. He really didn\'t need that last cigarette! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
06-09-2003, 11:03 AM
I used to go that route but I\'ve gotten lazy in my old age. Satin finish marine varnish is nearly as pretty, and you can\'t ruin it. I\'ve refinished the tops of most of my furniture and used that to seal, and it\'s a relief, especially if you have people over, not to have to worry so much about coasters, etc.

belgareth
06-09-2003, 11:10 AM
For refinishing spar varninsh is a good choice, darn near indestructable. It\'s the only thing I use on my kid\'s stuff.Do you use it cold or warm it? I am usually working with new wood and it seems to soak into the pores better if I put it on a warmer first. My warmer is made from an old drip coffee maker.

If you are doing old wood or want a really fine finish, the linseed oil is still the best. It soaks in and perserves the wood better than anything else.

Charisma
06-09-2003, 11:14 AM
I am so jealous of people that are handy like that. I have so many ideas that I just wish I could do without it looking like a 6 year old did it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Painters make a fortune that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
06-09-2003, 11:23 AM
I\'ve never warmed it - but I\'m always working on old stuff.