PDA

View Full Version : EVOLUTION AND DARWINISM - ARE YOU A BELIEVER?

foofoo
06-02-2003, 06:29 PM
first of all, we\'ll start with a poll. basically the theory of evolution, as pioneered within science by Charles Darwin and formulated by 8th century Arab intellectuals, states that species are created from mutating dna, as gradually over time, a species with similiar physiological but different genetic make-up will diverge into two seperate species over thousans/if not millions of years, hence laying the model for our apparent development from apes/monkeys etc.(ok not the most exact definition but you know what i mean) yet this is highly controversial for numerous reasons.

so the question is, <font color=\"red\"> EVOLUTION - TRUE OR FALSE? </font>

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION=\"http://www.server2.love-scent.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php\"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME=\"pollname\" VALUE=\"1054603747foofoo\">

EVOLUTION - TRUE OR FALSE?

<input type=\"radio\" name=\"option\" value=\"1\" />TRUE
<input type=\"radio\" name=\"option\" value=\"2\" />FALSE
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE=\"Submit vote\" class=\"buttons\"></form>

Gerund
06-03-2003, 11:30 AM
Of COURSE evolution is true. How can anyone possibly ignore the evidence? And God invented it, or more accurately, created it. God and evolution are not mutually exclusive.

Elana
06-03-2003, 11:34 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
G-d and evolution are not mutually exclusive.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Well if one picks up any religious book, they will see that guy never speaks of creating \"evolution\" at all instead it\'s either all happened in 7 days or whatever the other religous text(s) say.

Evolution does have a few small loopholes in it that prevent it from being 100%. Will people ever give up religion? Probably not, but ya\' never know.

Sexyredhead
06-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Who says 7 days to God is exactly 7 days earth time?

*He also invented the other planets, and their days aren\'t the same number of hours as ours.

*Remember when God said to Noah (I believe it was Noah--mighta been Abraham) that he wouldn\'t talk to him for a while? And like, 100-150 years later, he speaks up again. Now, that\'s more than you and I would say is a \"while\".

My 2 cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CptKipling
06-03-2003, 11:50 AM
Yeah but then 7 days is quite specific, \"a while\" isnt.

Gerund
06-03-2003, 11:51 AM
I suppose God felt there were more important topics to cover, other than DNA &amp; evolution, etc.

Incredible isn\'t it, that he also doesn\'t mention electricity, magnetism, gravity, or any other natural laws or phenomena? Yep, He really neglected the sciences, huh? Wait -- I do specifically remember Him mentioning a rainbow, though! He musta thought THAT was important~

By the way, I believe conventional wisdom holds that the 7 days were not on a scale you have a perspective for to make a comparison.

belgareth
06-03-2003, 11:52 AM

Seven days on which world? Or seven days to an entity that could create a univers. How often in the bible does God speak in parables?

CptKipling
06-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Aaaaaaaaand iirc it says something along the lines of \"and when the sun set on the seventh day...\" the fact that he talks about the sun setting defines the days as \"earth days\".

belgareth
06-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Aaaaaaaaand iirc it says something along the lines of \"and when the sun set on the seventh day...\" the fact that he talks about the sun setting defines the days as \"earth days\".

Before you can argue that you\'ll need to demonstrate the bible is the actual, unaltered word of god. What about all the other holy books on this planet alone?

Sexyredhead
06-03-2003, 11:55 AM
I will have to go back and check my Bible, BUT, for argument\'s sake, doesn\'t the sun shine on other planets?

belgareth
06-03-2003, 11:56 AM
I will have to go back and look, BUT, for argument\'s sake, doesn\'t the sun shine on other planets?

I\'ll still believe a metaphore that a primitive mind could accept.

Gerund
06-03-2003, 11:57 AM

You missed the point entirely!

If one commonly used measure of time -- \"a while\" means something else entirely to God, then another commonly used measure of time -- \"days\" would ALSO likely mean something else entirely to God.

I\'m surprised I had to explain that to you.

Andy
06-03-2003, 11:58 AM
Do you know which sun was meant specifically ?

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 11:59 AM
The religious excuses grow and change with the times.....

I find it hard to believe Christianity, a 2,000 year old religion holds any weight or truth beyond it\'s great moral lessons and guides for humanity. It\'s a rule book for sorts and a good one at that, I don\'t see the point in arguing that because it wouldn\'t be fair with so much factual and logical evidence on my side. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Christianity = 2,000 years
Existence of mankind = 200,000 - 300,000 years (Homosapiens)

There have been many religions before Christianity and there will be many after.

Gerund
06-03-2003, 12:01 PM
Ahhhhhhh....... the incredible arrogance of youth in its certainty!

I remember it well!

Gerund &lt;------ used to be young, believe it or not~ &lt;chuckle&gt;

Sexyredhead
06-03-2003, 12:04 PM
I keep thinking of that saying about letting everybody wonder if you\'re an idiot, or opening your mouth and proving it. *sigh* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

CptKipling
06-03-2003, 12:04 PM
We call our sun the Sun, but other suns stars (commonly). Why would he be refering to any other planet?

Sorry guys, i just dont buy this part of the bible. My opinion is that it was just a plausable explanation as to how we were created, plausable and understandable to people at the time.

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 12:08 PM
I noticed how you 2 didn\'t try to debate my argument, arrogance? I am just certain or as certain as I can be in my argument, I wouldn\'t go off on tangents though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
-----------------------
To many Religion is part of their culture, especially in Southern America, no one ever questions it and if it is quesitons it is taken as an insult to ones \"culture\". I do not want to go off topic here or get someone to attach their point to a weak side of my argument, but I have/had one friend and he and his family were very religious, as of now they have left it, the kid that once told me that these people are going to hell or I am is now getting drunk every weekend hehe. I think his strict household had something to do with that. Do not argue that point, \'cause it\'s not a point just a personal story compouned to a short paragraph.

If you can argue my initial post I will surprised

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 12:19 PM
I think this may clarify the point some are trying to make about how the scriptures sometimes use time and actual literal days.

I understand what they are trying to say, but it\'s just impossible, for a book written during the latter half of our existence to be taken as pure truth. What about the many millions of people who grew up and died without the knowledge of \"Christianity\". We are speaking and concerning ourselves with this issue because it is the hear and now. In another 2,000 years who knows /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

The reason and purpose for Religions and widely known, in some instances they server a greater good. Let\'s not forget that religion is man-made, look at millions who died in the name of this or that religion, or the hostile take over of one land just to spread the ideas of someone else. Christianity becomes part of one\'s culture and no one likes to see their culture analyzed and possible proven wrong.

belgareth
06-03-2003, 12:19 PM

Oh come on now, TM. Prove to us that all the evidence of evolution was not placed there by some all knowing, all powerful diety just to tempt the weak. Prove that man has been here for 200-300k years. We can argue in cricles all week but your evidence proves nothing when you are discussing an all powerful being.

Until you can provide proof of your assertions, your arguments have no merit.

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Oh come on now, TM. Prove to us that all the evidence of evolution was not placed there by some all knowing, all powerful diety just to tempt the weak. Prove that man has been here for 200-300k years. We can argue in cricles all week but your evidence proves nothing when you are discussing an all powerful being.

Until you can provide proof of your assertions, your arguments have no merit.

--------------------
Well when we get there, there is no reason to even speak Belgareth.

Whenever anyone debates, they are debating on known facts, logic, common sense and such right? Now all the logic and so on I believe is in my corner. No one debates on what \"they think\" or \"how they feel\". To tempt who from what? I believe if someone is raised in a religious and someone else is not, how can you hold that against someone?

Gerund
06-03-2003, 12:22 PM
I noticed how you 2 didn\'t try to debate my argument, arrogance? I am just certain or as certain as I can be in my argument.

TM, you simpleton, you almost make it too easy!

Anyone with a triple-digit IQ would realize that calling you arrogant IS the rebuttal to your argument, to whit:

#####################
ar*ro*gance, (noun, 14th century): a feeling or impression of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or presumptuous claims
#####################

No charge for remedial support. But if you think I\'m going to explain THIS post to you if you go off the deep end, forget it.

There\'s an old maxim, which I\'ll now adhere to: Never argue with fools.

\'Nuff said.

Gerund
06-03-2003, 12:25 PM
I should have added one more definition:

SUPREME arrogance: Believing that your arrogance MAKES you right.

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Ummm I am getting off for a few, it will be interesting to see where this thread goes.
-----------------
Gerund, why not just try to debate my points? Why give me the dictonary.com explanation for arrogance? I know why you gave it to me, but it isn\'t helping your point. It\'s all in good debating fun.

see ya later alligators.

Gerund
06-03-2003, 12:30 PM
And so I asked her, \"if dolphins are so darned smart, why don\'t they grow opposable thumbs and start building condominiums?\"

belgareth
06-03-2003, 12:31 PM
--------------------
Well when we get there, there is no reason to even speak Belgareth.

Whenever anyone debates, they are debating on known facts, logic, common sense and such right? Now all the logic and so on I believe is in my corner.

You are basing your argument on something you cannot prove, only what you have read in a textbook, right? What makes a textbook any better than any of the holy books? Just because they are newer? Some textbooks claim evolution is a fraud. The ones you are familiar with are both relatively new and in the minority. What makes them right?

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 01:06 PM
You are basing your argument on something you cannot prove, only what you have read in a textbook, right? What makes a textbook any better than any of the holy books? Just because they are newer? Some textbooks claim evolution is a fraud. The ones you are familiar with are both relatively new and in the minority. What makes them right?

Not, because they are newer, Belgareth takes this into consideration, If I wanted to see an early hominids bones I could go to a museuem and I could look at them, and if I am lucky even feel them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Now that is proof that exists that I can latch out to and see.

Has there been any physcial proof proving that the many tales and stories in the bible are true? No, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Now we could say they were never meant to be taken as truth this and that and we could go on for years, but they were written as so and at that time were to be taken as truth, until later on as I said as the times change religion and it\'s basis seems to also. Why would solid proof of existence of god morph to fit our noble and lowly human culture(s) and personal beliefs?

I don\'t see how you disrupted my original point Belgareth, I told you that debates were based on facts, logic, and common sense. Is there physical proof of Evolution? YES. Is there any physical proof for Religion? No. Now I am not taking the side of either one totally, instead I am seeing that Evolution has much backing and logic in it\'s corner, go outside look at our world! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Science was never factored into any religion, I do not think my newer books are better becuase they are newer, I think they have more backing because, at this time in history we are able to answer the unanswerable questions we are able to use science, instead of not being able to answer common questions and thus making an excuse for certain if not all things. We know of the existence of hundreds of other religions before Christianity, why are we focused on Christianity alone? What makes it special, because it was part of your culture and you were raised, or you have a strong attachment to this? I am sure the Greeks sure did love their Gods and Godesses let\'s speak about them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I would love to say that there is a different spin that we don\'t really know what\'s going on, that the greater god is testing us. I ask why so irrational? Why would you create evidence and thus elude us, it\'s another last ditch effort with no bearing at all to rattle our cages and to hinder our acknowledgement of the possibility of their not being a Christian god at all. (or any other) It\'s hard for me to iron out every point, If one would just look around without any bias he/she could easily see through the inconsistences. What seperates us from any other animal on this planet? One way the Christain religion works is by telling us that we are god\'s chosen ones, his favorite child. Why would god have a favorite child?, besides that it sounds like many other beliefs which gathers it\'s loyal subjects by teaching supremecy. Every animal seems to have it\'s gift, the cheetah can run fast, the cow can ummmm well forget the cow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Man(and women) were given the gift of a larger and more complex brain. Does this technically make us better then any other species. Sure we received things like emotions and such due to the above. I am not saying that society is not amazing, but in that amazment there always has been and will be cruelty and death, man is an animal trying to be house trained, religion is a man made tool to help us in that process. The previous statement was not part of my debate but part of something I am thinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The bible was written by men who believed that a man was very special and attributed him to being the son of god? Would you believe if someone told you he was the son of god? Would you believe him 2,000 years ago?

CptKipling
06-03-2003, 01:12 PM
When i find myself in a \"is religion reality or fiction\" debate, usually one of these happens (from the religion side):

- They tend to avoid the difficult questions.

- They fall back on pure faith, which cant be argued against and just prove\'s the uselessness of the debate.

- They call non-religious people ignorant

Like Whitehall (not intending to involve anyone here) once said, the definition of a fanatic i someone who closes his mind to other possibilities (crudely para-phrased).

Can someone tell me this (because i dont know), who what where when and how did Christianity come about?

belgareth
06-03-2003, 01:36 PM
To make it clear where I am arguing from, I have no religous convictions whatsoever! No answers, just lots of questions.

First, what does it prove that you can go touch some bones? Ever hear of the piltdown man? Or the dig in the Saraha where they found a marvelous lost city? It turned out to be a lost movie set from the 1930\'s. Paleontology and archeology are both sciences of pure speculation. They make a lot of assumptioons based on earlier assumptions, very little is proven. They cannot prove how people lived in Jamestown 250 years ago, but you expect to be able to take a bunch of allegedly 65 million year old bones at face value? I am not faulting those scientists, just stating that many cumulative errors are not only possible but probable.

You are taking the validity of science on as much pure faith as the religous people are taking their beliefs. Remember, not all that long ago scientists believed a train could not go faster than 28 mph because all the air would be sucked out of the cabin and everybody would suffocate. Airplanes would never fly faster than sound and life could not exist at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Nice post Cptkipling.

Belgareth, I am not taking science as hard as the religious take their religion, I was simply feeling that there is much more evidence at this point on the scientific side, on the religious side there is so much corruption and hypocrism that I don\'t even have the energy to type /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I am sure they can/have done DNA tests on the bones/any other biological material they have found. I posed an argument and my questions may have been difficult but they were all avoided and an excuse (me being arrogant) was given. Belgareth you came out full force on this one as usual. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif You have alot of good points but the situations given are those rare cases, now if you inversed the amount of cases to the belief you would then have Christianity.(Religion)

belgareth
06-03-2003, 02:53 PM
No DNA tests. The DNA would have deteriorated long since. Carbon dating, yes it has been done. So? Ever seen a carbon atom decomposing? Me neither. So I guess we need to take that on faith as well.

I do not agree about total corruption being greater in one area or the other. Most the people who work in either field are fine, honest and intellegent people who truly believe what they practice. Much good has come to us from both science and religion, along with many atrocities. Neither discipline can argue their ultimate good.

No. those were not isolated examples. Are you familiar with the problem of the mass of the universe? I could spend some time on the web and provide you with thousands of flaws to what we \'know\' about science.

You\'ve missed my point all along though. The moment you decide you know something, you cease to learn and that is the greatest of all failures. Can you or anybody else really claim to know something beyond any doubt?

**DONOTDELETE**
06-03-2003, 03:15 PM
YES!

Beyond the shadow of the slightest possible doubt, I know that I do not know everything.

foofoo
06-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Tallmacky had a very interesting post
Has there been any physcial proof proving that the many tales and stories in the bible are true? No, right?Now we could say they were never meant to be taken as truth this and that and we could go on for years, but they were written as so and at that time were to be taken as truth, until later on as I said as the times change religion and it\'s basis seems to also. Why would solid proof of existence of god morph to fit our noble and lowly human culture(s) and personal beliefs?

although the Bible in its present form contains many contradictions, its original form was pure, most accurately reflected in the Dead Sea Scrolls. These scrolls have substantial evidence of paranormal intervention including
1/ the bible code, a linguistic code in the original hebrew which has been proven to contain facts of future events, notably 20th century events involving Israel.
2/ some scientific accuracies, how the earth is a sphere for example + beneficial traits of moderate drinking
3/ the names of cities destroyed by God, as mentioned in the bible, have been seen to exist as archaeologists will prove, along with the traits of such cities, eg Pompeii, centre of homosexuality and paedophilia,

my best bet would be 1/
i don\'t see how you disrupted my original point Belgareth, I told you that debates were based on facts, logic, and common sense. Is there physical proof of Evolution? YES. Is there any physical proof for Religion? No. Now I am not taking the side of either one totally, instead I am seeing that Evolution has much backing and logic in it\'s corner, go outside look at our world!

evolution has no proof because the theory of evolution is fundamentally flawed as I shall explain. Therefore all possible evidence arising from these flaws are also flawed and have no merit.
Moreover, religion does have physical proof, demonstrated most potently through Islam, which is the original, pure form of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, and several other major beliefs as they all started with the same fundamental precedent, which only still remains in Islam.
Examples include 1/ scientific accuracy&amp;#8217;s in the Koran, the most uptodate discovered through science in the last 15-20 years. Examples include accurate accounts of embryology, aspects of nuclear physics such as the formation of nebulae and the singular origin of multiple celestial bodies, aspects of plate tectonics, brain functions, weather cycles and formation of lightening, hail etc, amongst other things to give you an idea.
2/ 19A=B, a law discovered in the Koran, which displays the perfection of God&amp;#8217;s creation through mathematical precision. In several ways, it is similar to the language code in the Dead Sea Scrolls, although it is numbers this time. The difference arises in that it applies to the whole universe as we know it.
3/ Abnormal phenomenon in which religious inscriptions are written on various things in the natural world, e.g., the moon, various fruits, shapes of trees, fish, clouds, bee hives, eggs, human lungs to name a few.
4/ religions such as Buddhism, Judaism back up the claims of the Koran through prophecies, hence all religions are linked

If you want more then you can use a search engine and you&amp;#8217;ll find 100s there. Therefore the validity of religion cannot be underestimated. Furthermore, these religions have concepts contrary to evolution. Thus a flaw has to be somewhere.

Firstly, may I add that the reason why so many of us, perhaps 99.9% of us have fallen for evolution is that it is not at all obvious why it is false, without having the necessary mental capacity to refute its claims, which, once formulated and told, destroys evolution altogether. Thus it may also be difficult to understand what is being said.

I will start with a basic flaw in evolution since I have no idea to the extent of your knowledge, and will build up my arguments as the situation warrants.

1/ assuming the theory of evolution, the small physiological changes that occur through the mutating of the DNA, will gradually, over long periods of time, diverge the species into separate ones.

Flaw: a) the physiological change will have to be regulated in order to be functional , through the necessary differentiation existing in the brain/nucleus. In other words, small physiological changes cannot occur, without larger ones occuring within the same mutation,

ie an additional mechanism or part of a mechanism in the body arising through mutation would be useless unless co-ordinated by the brain + all other organs to adapt to the new physiological circumstance (ie the mutation)

This can possibly occur through huge DNA change = huge structural change in chromosomes in creating favourable characteristics for the mechanism + the mutation to create the differentiation in brain = impossible as the chances of the &amp;#8220;mutant&amp;#8221;, gaining 2 favourable characteristics and possibly many more from the complexity of the brain, (further implying greater changes in the DNA change in one mutation, thus further decreasing probability) is against the claims of evolution of a gradual change over thousands/millions of years.

b) Such a flaw applies to all mechanism in the human body (and indeed all organisms), and at all periods of time. In other words, in order to obtain A, B is needed, which needs C, which needs D, no matter what we take as our baseline to work with. (ie no matter where we start in the evolution process [including bacteria, although they are a special case, ie they can mutate successfully but are not the product of mutation] and for whatever mutation). And if B, C and D weren&amp;#8217;t around, (ie. Sticking with the basic evolution theory of slow gradual change), then A is basically a pile of molecular heap, without purpose, and would be seen as unfavourable for years and years = death of organism + that mutation in cases of cruciality, which would be every case, as it is applying simultaneously to all circumstances in the evolution process . )

and so c) no organism could have mutated, unless through the mutation, everything required is also obtained.

Ie. If mutation had occurred, everything single thing would have to have been mutated in that next generation too.

And so the characteristics of any mutation are non-functional through the evolutionary mechanism, as, through such a mechanism, the organism is not highly differentiated enough in order to be functional.

Therefore, I conclude that such a simple flaw destroys all measure of evolution acting as an accurate basis for human and indeed any organisms&amp;#8217; development, and through the analysis provided and with the appropriate understanding, it is thus guaranteed to be false. BTW, this is only a very basic flaw, there are 100s more for anyone daring enough. Personally, no professor of physiology on earth can come back from that, although I would like PhD&amp;#8217;s and the like to try and refute my arguments.

The bible was written by men who believed that a man was very special and attributed him to being the son of god? Would you believe if someone told you he was the son of god? Would you believe him 2,000 years ago?

your understanding in this regard is partially correct. Jesus Christ (peace be upon him) was a messenger and Apostle of God, like tens of thousands before him. However, the authors of the original authors of the authentic Gospel/ New Testament did not even claim he was the son of God, and it was only after the destruction of Christ&amp;#8217;s teachings in the 2nd century that such a concept was added by Roman and Jewish conspirators.

I hope my post sheds much light on these topics.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

P.S, sorry about the 8217\'£!s etc, my apostrophe is duffed up and ive just noticed now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Elana
06-03-2003, 05:10 PM
1/ the bible code, a linguistic code in the original hebrew which has been proven to contain facts of future events, notably 20th century events involving Israel.

I remember the first time I saw those codes. I was in Kabbalah class and they put some of them up on a big overhead projector. Everyone in the class was silent. It was unbelievable. That truly blew my mind.

HB_88
06-03-2003, 08:05 PM
Assassinations foretold in Moby Dick (\"http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/moby.html\")

Death of Princess Di predicted! (\"http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/diana.html\")

Additional Bible Code skepticism (\"http://www.nmsr.org/biblecod.htm\")

HB_88

P.S.: You\'re still wonderful people. Just wanted to illustrate how nonsensical this stuff really is.

druid
06-03-2003, 08:26 PM
how the hell can islam be the orginal pure form of judism or christianity? judism was around before islam!

druid
06-03-2003, 08:26 PM
how the hell can islam be the orginal pure form of judism or christianity? judism was around before islam!

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 08:47 PM
I do not agree about total corruption being greater in one area or the other. Most the people who work in either field are fine, honest and intellegent people who truly believe what they practice. Much good has come to us from both science and religion, along with many atrocities. Neither discipline can argue their ultimate good.

======================
I don\'t understand Belgareth, the point of religion is to break even? Why would God\'s gift of understanding to man cause man to gain but also to lose and causing all of these negative things? Could it be that religion is man made and thus flawed and we are to only expect these type of results?

HB_88
06-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Uh, to what are you referring? If any such claim was mentioned in any of the URLs I linked to, I\'ll probably remove the offending URL(s) since this certainly wasn\'t relevant to what I was talking about. As my thread title suggests, I\'m skeptical of Bible codes and I\'m sharing these links.
You must be replying to something further up the thread.
HB_88

The Druids... no one knows who they were or... what... they were doing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
--Nigel Tufnel, This Is Spinal Tap

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 08:54 PM
I was replying to a quote of Belgareth\'s

HB_88
06-03-2003, 08:57 PM
Ok. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Anyone else?

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 09:02 PM
Sorry about that, I am just looking at the links you have given, I am not sure what to think of them yet.

belgareth
06-03-2003, 09:55 PM

======================
I don\'t understand Belgareth, the point of religion is to break even? Why would God\'s gift of understanding to man cause man to gain but also to lose and causing all of these negative things? Could it be that religion is man made and thus flawed and we are to only expect these type of results?

The biggest gift of all...free will to choose our own path.

belgareth
06-03-2003, 10:22 PM
YES!

Beyond the shadow of the slightest possible doubt, I know that I do not know everything.

DO you really know that or is that your belief?

seadove
06-03-2003, 10:44 PM
It took me a while to read this very long but also very interesting thread.

There is an answer to the question.It is incorporated in one of the Kaballah books called the \"ZOHAR\"

The Zohar is studied in the Yeshiva schools, and only when the student becomes a Rabbi, he will be ready to go into Zohar studies.It is written in Hebrew and as far as I know, there are no other language translations.

tallmacky
06-03-2003, 10:53 PM

Why write basically a rule book, and then set people free to do basically anything they want. Free will is only there to explain why people go bad, there are no other explanations of why this happens? I asked why religion seems to break even as if it causes just as much negative as positive (arguable), you then said \"the gift of free will\".

Do you think if religion holds any truth that man can hold it can protect it can teach it? As we have seen is man really ready to be trusted with something so important and so sacred without placing their own wants and needs in it? I am only using common sense in any assumption I make.

Belgareth, you are right I could think one thing of the universe, or even more I could even believe in the universe now and find out later I was completely wrong. As we move through history we (mankind) realize that we were actually wrong on many things, that we basically knew nothing, our only educator seems to be time. I find it hard to believe a 2,000 year old book (other religious text too) holds the reason and truth to our existence. Do you see where I am going with this?

Most of our past beliefs and facts we thought true we have abandoned why is it so hard for us to let go of some religions?

thanks

belgareth
06-04-2003, 02:35 AM

Why write basically a rule book, and then set people free to do basically anything they want. Free will is only there to explain why people go bad, there are no other explanations of why this happens? I asked why religion seems to break even as if it causes just as much negative as positive (arguable), you then said \"the gift of free will\".

Do you think if religion holds any truth that man can hold it can protect it can teach it? As we have seen is man really ready to be trusted with something so important and so sacred without placing their own wants and needs in it? I am only using common sense in any assumption I make.

Belgareth, you are right I could think one thing of the universe, or even more I could even believe in the universe now and find out later I was completely wrong. As we move through history we (mankind) realize that we were actually wrong on many things, that we basically knew nothing, our only educator seems to be time. I find it hard to believe a 2,000 year old book (other religious text too) holds the reason and truth to our existence. Do you see where I am going with this?

Most of our past beliefs and facts we thought true we have abandoned why is it so hard for us to let go of some religions?

thanks

If I remember my Sunday school lessons correctly, we were given free will as an opportunity to demonstrate that we will live the way we are told. That way we can get into heaven and enjoy ever lasting life. Religion does not break down, we weak and greedy humans do.

Why do we as a people want to do away with religion? Despite the flaws of many who practice it, it has been a tremendous civilizing and socializing tool and continues to be so. Most people need something to believe in, whether it be Jehovah or Mithras. They need some goal to work towards, some redemption, some set of standards to live up to. Otherwise, life is pointless. I believe the loss of religous fundamentals in this country, along with the breakdown of the nuclear family, have led to the sad deterioration of our society as a whole. Is it better to have a society run amoke with no social mores or is it better to have a society held together by a set of fundamental beliefs that try to teach us a better way to live? The answer is obvious. The choice of a person\'s religion is far less important than the choice to live by its rules.

Hungry
06-04-2003, 02:49 AM
The Zohar is studied in the Yeshiva schools, and only when the student becomes a Rabbi, he will be ready to go into Zohar studies.It is written in Hebrew and as far as I know, there are no other language translations.

Seadove,

http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/tku/index.htm (\"http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/tku/index.htm\")

I don\'t know if that\'s all of it, or if it\'s accurate. I haven\'t read it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The translator, S. L. Macgregor Mathers, is famous in occult circles, but I have no idea how good his Hebrew was.

That\'s a damn good site, BTW. It contains so much interesting stuff.

Hungry

seadove
06-04-2003, 02:57 AM
Hungry

You have made my day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just the other day I was telling someone about the Zohar who requested a copy in English.I searched the internet, but I had no successes.I myself don\'t know if this is it though.

Thanks pal, I\'ll pass it on to those people who asked me for a translation.

BTW, I\'m not gonna read it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I am afraid to know!!

tallmacky
06-04-2003, 09:20 AM
as been a
tremendous civilizing and socializing tool and continues to be so

------
Yes Belgareth, a tool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

foofoo
06-05-2003, 06:31 PM
is anyone gonna reply to my beastly post? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tallmacky
06-05-2003, 06:34 PM
I will when I finally get up for a read, usually I am hyped to do this sort of stuff but I am drained right now hehehe. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif