PDA

View Full Version : Potential Gold Mine - Essential Oil Store

bivonic
05-27-2003, 04:09 AM
Just spent a weekend in Nantucket for an annual Memorial Day Bash. Came across this local store of a \"nose\" he replicates all of the major cologne\'s & perfumes & then makes \"knock-offs\" creating an oil based product. Sells 1/4 of an ounce for $45 any cologne you like. If he doesn\'t have it, he swears if you send him a sample or bring in a sample he will replicate it. Also the scent lasts a full 12 hours if not longer. I tried his Angel/m & I will say it does have nice lasting power. Best part is that it has a removable \"dab\" top that you can spike, I haven\'t been bold enough to spike my Angel/m. Also not sure if he does mail order, I imagine he does. I talked to him about pheros & he didn\'t seem much of a believer, I told him to checkout this site, we\'ll see if he pops in.

Anyway here\'s his site:
http://www.nantucketnaturaloils.com/ (\"http://www.nantucketnaturaloils.com/\")

bivonic
05-27-2003, 04:20 AM
Couple of quick comments. In the store he has a variety of Sandalwood oils, on his site I only see one, not sure why, perhaps he hasn\'t updated it yet.

He does have online orders.

Not sure what the difference is between: domestic, premium, & natural oils. I seem to remember him saying he likes to mix the natural oils with the synthetic oils since they both have qualities that the other one doesn\'t possess (think of natural pheros vs. synthetic pheros).

He\'s a very nice guy - John Hardy - I believe his name was. If you ever make it to the island I highly recommend you checkout his store & chat with him (just be prepared to have him chat your ear off, he\'s a pretty good salesman). I think he mentioned they are open all year round.

FYI - I tried his \"A Man\" as he calls it (a few dabs behind ears, on neck & wrists) that night with some PI/m, CS -rone, CS -nol, & some WAGG & got a very strong DIHL from a friend of this girl I had met the night before. It has been a while since I had gotten a DIHL & was a little unprepared. So I just stared back into her eyes for a good 30 seconds, her friend saw this connection from a few feet away & walked over & snapped her out of the trance! I tried to explain this effect to John (continue our phero discussion) & I think he thought I was making crazy-talk & had one of his girls help me out. I guess I don\'t blame him, in hindsight I should have given him a sampling of my PI/m, NOW that might have made him a believer, oh well there\'s always next year.

One last note, he asked me what scent men really seem to go for - I didn\'t know, he told me cinnamon buns - just like Mom used to make!

pelotudo
05-27-2003, 04:27 AM
It sounds neat. The amount you get though, 1/4oz...vs how much you can get the cologne itself for seems a little high..or am I doing my math wrong?

And A-Men/Angel, they\'re the same thing right? I have only seen A-Men around here, and it has the same bottle that I have seen the Angel in..so I got it (1.7oz for $30). I was thinking about making a small vial of it and spiking it to see the results.

-Jon

bivonic
05-27-2003, 04:31 AM
Here\'s the part I left out. He claims his small bottle has the equivalent of 4 alcohol based products of the original. So if your Angel costs $30 you would need to buy 4 bottles or $120 worth of the original product to get the same value from his. You only need to apply small dabs of his product, vs. how much of an application from the Alcohol based original? Lastly he claims you can keep his product for 10-12 years - no spoilage. The originals are designed to spoil within 12 months to keep you buying it, again, not sure if this is his own marketing spin. But I picked up a bottle & it seems to have nice lasting power.

bivonic
05-27-2003, 04:47 AM
Couple more quick things I remembered, maybe someone can explain this.

When I was in the store, when he applied the knockoff to my wrists to sample. He had a sand hour glass there that he would turn over. He said to give it 1 minute before smelling, he said it does not smell good at all for that first minute, also he had to rub it in. Any ideas why this would be the case? I cannot post the rest of the day due to a firewall at work, but feel free to email me at bivonic at yahoo dot com if you have any other Q\'s.

bivonic
05-28-2003, 02:14 AM
I\'m surprised no one is jumping on this. Just trying to point out a great resource, I\'ve been dying to find some good smelling colognes that I can spike, but all of the ones I\'ve come across I was not able to tap into the cologne resevoir. Maybe because I made reference to \"synthetic\" pheros. If you read this & have no interest let me know why, you might be misguided. I can email this guy & ask him questions, heck I could even call him up, he\'s a very nice guy. Walking into his shop I thought I was walking into a laboratory, his whole back shelf is lined with bottles upon bottles of base notes as well as the other two \"tiers\" of scents.

biteme
05-28-2003, 04:40 AM
I checked it out. Oh, yeah, thanks so much for letting us know of this place, BTW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I \'ordered\' the free catalog.

Just curious, when you tried his knock off of Angel Men, was it as overpowering as the real cologne? I don\'t like cologne very much, but I like A*Men a lot. I always wore one spray since its so damn overpowering. But after a while, even at one spray, I notice my friends getting the sniffles around me. I think its the A*Men, because w/o it, no one\'s getting the sniffles.

Did you try any of his other stuff? I might order some of his blends.

koolking1
05-28-2003, 05:33 AM
Hey Bivonic, thanks - my girlfriend says \"let\'s go\". I\'ve never been to Nantucket so this will be a nice treat for me. Bill

xvs
05-28-2003, 11:32 AM
The domestic oils appear to be synthetics.

The essential oils may be mostly natural, but since he doesn\'t say there may be some synthetics mixed in there too.

Many of the premium oils are also synthetic (no way that real musk could go for $25 as an essential oil concentrate).

Anyway, a nice selection but hard to tell what the real quality of them is. And for synthetics, the price is rather high.

bivonic
05-28-2003, 03:53 PM
------------
I checked it out. Oh, yeah, thanks so much for letting us know of this place, BTW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I \'ordered\' the free catalog.

Just curious, when you tried his knock off of Angel Men, was it as overpowering as the real cologne? I don\'t like cologne very much, but I like A*Men a lot. I always wore one spray since its so damn overpowering. But after a while, even at one spray, I notice my friends getting the sniffles around me. I think its the A*Men, because w/o it, no one\'s getting the sniffles.

Did you try any of his other stuff? I might order some of his blends.
------------
That\'s the key this stuff is *not* overpowering. Just 2 dabs & a great smell. To be honest I normally bathe in Angel/m (works for me) & I *never* am told that it is too strong, probably just me though. I will probably use his stuff specifically for covering PI/m or other strong -none products & then use my alcohol based Angel/m just to get more scent out there. I assume the alcohol based colognes will have a wider radius whereas the oil based colognes keep a nice tight radius with a strong (but not overpowering) scent. Between my friend & I we must have sampled over a dozen different scents (got to the point we were running out of skin points to place it). Ask for the \"pimp juice\" it wasn\'t for me, but may be for you.

------------
Hey Bivonic, thanks - my girlfriend says \"let\'s go\". I\'ve never been to Nantucket so this will be a nice treat for me. Bill
------------
Bill PM me or make a post to share about where to go & all of the other inside stuff, specifically related to Memorial Day weekend but not necessarily (big annual sailing race too & from Hyannis, called Fegawi - as in \"Where the Fegawi!\")

------------
The domestic oils appear to be synthetics.

The essential oils may be mostly natural, but since he doesn\'t say there may be some synthetics mixed in there too.

Many of the premium oils are also synthetic (no way that real musk could go for $25 as an essential oil concentrate).

Anyway, a nice selection but hard to tell what the real quality of them is. And for synthetics, the price is rather high.
------------
xvs - I\'m a pretty good judge of character & while John Hardy (I think that\'s his last name) was quite the fast talking salesman he struck me as an honest guy. I can tell he\'s been in business for a while (based on his younger photos hanging in his shop & in his catalog), so I\'d recommend you give him a call if you have any questions as to how much natural vs. synthetic he uses in certain oils. He might not tell you thinking you were a competitor. It may not help but you can tell him you heard of his shop from a friend. (Just mention the guy that bought the \"A Man\" & would not shut about pheromones & DIHL\'s! =)

Tim
05-29-2003, 01:54 PM
check out this thread from a while back: http://www.server2.love-scent.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB5&Number=60561&page=73& view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1 (\"http://www.server2.love-scent.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB5&Number=60561&page=73& view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1\")

I\'m very pleased with the quality and staying power of the hayward enterprise oils.