PDA

View Full Version : Palm Peeling.

seadove
05-24-2003, 10:31 PM
I have this strange skin peelings on the palms of my hands.It does not itch but it looks ugly.

I use hand cream occasionally that I borrow from my girl friend but it only improves the situation temporarily.

Does this indicate a vitamin deffeciency?

I\'d love to receive any advice from you.

Thanks people.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
05-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Wash your hands with a milder soap?

seadove
05-24-2003, 10:50 PM
I do that, Renee, all the time, with a very mild baby soap called Neka.

It\'s not improving.

On the contrary!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

pelotudo
05-25-2003, 06:12 AM
I get this every few months. I don\'t why, but all of a sudden, they both just start peeling like crazy...like I have a bad sunburn and it\'s peeling as it heals. I use Vaseline Intensive Care Extra Moisturising <sp?> hand creme on them, and it will usually heal up within a couple of days.

-Jon

**DONOTDELETE**
05-25-2003, 07:10 AM
The only thing that\'s ever made my palms peel was Ivory soap. 99% pure what? LYE?

Seadove, are your hands in water a lot?

EXIT63
05-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Try Aloe.

seadove
05-25-2003, 08:28 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Seadove, are your hands in water a lot?

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

No.

Briela
05-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Sounds like it may be exfoliative keratolysis. It‘s a common skin condition in which there is focal peeling of the palms and sometimes the soles of the feet. The first sign is one or more superficial air-filled blisters on the fingers or palms. The blisters burst to leave expanding patches of scale and circular or oval, tender, peeled areas. The peeled areas lack a normal protective barrier layer function and may become red, dry and cracked. However, they are not generally itchy. Symptoms are aggravated by exposure to irritants such as water, soap, detergents and solvents. Eventually the condition clears, but frequently recurs within a few weeks. No medical treatment for it beyond what others have already suggested. Hand creams containing urea, lactic acid, or silicone tend to be more useful than others.

If your symptoms are more severe than what’s indicated above, you may have either tinea (fungal infection) or hand dermatitis. With either of those, you\'ll want to seek treatment from a physician.

MOBLEYC57
05-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Dove - Sometimes when I go through long periods of time without taking a bath (just showers), and then take one of those bath where I just hang out till the water turns cold (yes...playing with me Rubber Ducky), my hands peel. You can buy one of those straw sponge-like thingies, or something that scraps off dead skin. Pretty much, that\'s all it is.

seadove
05-25-2003, 09:00 PM
Briela thanks baby, I\'ll go to the derm. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mobes:So much is peeled off pretty soon I won\'t have any hands left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

seadove
05-26-2003, 04:51 AM
Pelotudo:and it will usually heal up within a couple of days.

But it comes back again, right?

I apply more or less the same thing, so it comes and goes.

Do you think it\'s a vitamin deffeciency? Is there something we can do to permenantly end this peeling?

pelotudo
05-26-2003, 07:13 AM
It\'ll come back every couple of months or so, but I haven\'t had it happen to me for a while now...so I can\'t really figure out what it is. Maybe it is from prolonged exposure to what he mentioned.

-Jon

seadove
05-26-2003, 08:38 AM
you\'ll want to seek treatment from a physician.

Thanks Briela

I\'ll call the doc now.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif