PDA

View Full Version : Potentially Great News - need help

bivonic
05-18-2003, 09:11 AM
I\'ve been talking with a friend of mine about a job opportunity. He is the CEO of a startup company that provides investor information on biotechnology related areas. He needs a CTO to run his technology & he wants to be the Bloomberg of the health care industy. Anyway he\'s pretty impressed with my background & he should be making me an offer very soon! I\'m stoked.

Anyway, I have a small predicament. I want to give 2 weeks notice at my current employer (after I get an offer of course). Procedurally I have no problem telling the 3 guys I work with, they are going to be pretty sad since it means more work for them & they\'ll have to scurry to find a replacement, fortunately it\'s a slow time of year for the political \"machine\" I work for. Technically my supervisor is in another building across the street. I do not really see him much except for our weekly Thursday meetings. I guess the professionally etiquette approach to tendering a resignation letter would be to call him up & ask him if we could have a quick meeting today & bring a resignation letter with me as opposed to just emailing it to him, right? Any advice on what I should say in the letter? I haven\'t resigned from a job in a while. The people I work with & for know that I was not too happy at this job, but I still want to try & leave on good terms, any advice is appreciated!!!

Another question is, how do you handle it when they ask you who you will be working for? I really don\'t want to tell them, I can describe the company but if they press me for a \"name\" what kind of response should I provide? \"I\'d rather not say\"?

It looks like I\'m just going to write in the letter:

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
I, &lt;bivonic&gt;, hereby tender my resignation from &lt;Company X&gt; affective May 30, 2003.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Sexyredhead
05-18-2003, 04:40 PM
If they ask you why you\'re leaving, tell them you\'ve been given an offer you can\'t refuse, and you\'d rather not divulge who the company is.

It\'s not their business anyway, but this is something polite to say. Be mysterious. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bivonic
05-19-2003, 04:06 AM
I found another response that my be better.

\"Due to the nature of the venture I\'m not at liberty to say.\"

EXIT63
05-19-2003, 04:32 AM
\"Well, I could tell you.....But then I\'d have to kill you!\"