PDA

View Full Version : DO THEY SMOKE CRACK IN AUSTRALIA?

MOBLEYC57
05-11-2003, 06:57 PM
CANBERRA (Reuters) - Australian scientists believe they have rediscovered an effective use for lemon juice -- as a contraceptive and also a killer of the AIDS (news - web sites) virus.

Reproductive physiologist Roger Short, from the University of Melbourne\'s obstetrics department, said a few drops of lemon juice can be a cheap, easy-to-use solution to protect women from both HIV (news - web sites) and pregnancy.

The juice should be squeezed onto a piece of sponge or cotton wool and placed into the vagina before sex, he said.

\"We can show in the lab that lemon juice is very effective in immobilizing human sperm and also very effective in killing HIV,\" Short told Australian Broadcasting Corp television in a science program to be shown later on Thursday.

He said lime juice, which has similar acid levels, can also be used, with both fruits often freely available in poor countries where contraception is hard to come by.

Short said laboratory tests found not only does lemon juice kill sperm, it also kills the AIDS virus itself.

Short said using lemon juice as a contraceptive was not a new idea but it had fallen by the wayside over the years.

The ancient douche-style contraceptive was encouraged by such luminaries as Casanova, renowned for his sexual prowess.

\"This has been used for hundreds of years and we\'ve just forgotten about it,\"said Short, who is planning to conduct some field trials in Thailand.

\"About 300 years ago, Mediterranean women used lemon juice as their main method of contraception.\"

Anyone!? Anyone!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Gerund
05-11-2003, 07:00 PM
mmmmmm... lemonade! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

druid
05-11-2003, 07:06 PM
sounds better than condoms!

PS-I guess this makes up for the aussie\'s given us watcher! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif j/k

MOBLEYC57
05-11-2003, 07:07 PM
Only you G! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Only you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gerund
05-11-2003, 07:11 PM
<chuckle>

**DONOTDELETE**
05-11-2003, 07:14 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
sounds better than condoms!

PS-I guess this makes up for the aussie\'s given us watcher! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif j/k

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

ROFL

Is that what that song was about, remember that song, \"You put de lime in de coconut, you shake \'em all up...\"

seadove
05-11-2003, 10:36 PM
The juice should be squeezed onto a piece of sponge or cotton wool and placed into the vagina before sex, he said.

\"We can show in the lab that lemon juice is very effective in immobilizing human sperm and also very effective in killing HIV,\"

Well let me see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gifAnd I\'ll try not to sound like Whitehall.

As you all know lemon contains a bit of concentrated acid, which has a burning effect.So what will happen is this:

Male:(to his female partner)Here, use this stuff as contraceptive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Female:(insurting stuff)WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Damn@%&amp;@#)(@!$%^&amp; (\"Damn@%&amp;@#)(@!$%^&amp;\") sh#7t.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Enticing
05-12-2003, 05:42 AM
Um yeah, ya think?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I mean why not vinegar, or hydrochloric acid? And wouldn\'t spit be considered a contraceptive, or it that too alkaline?

Gerund
05-12-2003, 07:10 AM
Wow. And I just ran out of litmus paper! Alright chemists, where do the mentioned liquids &amp; juices fall on the PH scale?

Andy
05-12-2003, 07:50 AM
I don\'t think it\'s that bad, the mucous membranes inside the vagina are more resistable than the ones inside the mouth. Ever had a hole inside your mouth or burning sensations without an injury while eating lemons or drinking lemon juice ?

Lucky
05-12-2003, 08:01 AM
In the 17th century, douches became popular among French prostitutes as a method of contraception. It usually didn\'t work. However, once women figured out that acidity of a lemon killed sperm, lemon juice use became widely used in many cultures. Some women in the 18th century even used a half-squeezed lemon as a diaphragm.

Nothing\'s new under the sun.

Gerund
05-12-2003, 08:09 AM
That\'d taste way better than that spermicide jelly that goes on diaphragms nowadays! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Andy
05-12-2003, 08:18 AM
How tastes it like ? I\'ve never eaten anti-spermicide jelly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
05-12-2003, 12:10 PM
It\'s GROSS. Spermicides are gross. I hate them. Condoms, too, I hate with a passion, although I make sure they\'re used. Lemons would sure be better.

tallmacky
05-12-2003, 12:24 PM
sheep skin condoms, not the most protective.

Gerund
05-12-2003, 02:28 PM
I\'m almost certain some men could be persuaded to apply the lemon or lime juice orally~ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Hey, I just realized -- that stuff would make you salivate pretty good, wouldn\'t it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Briela
05-12-2003, 06:48 PM

Wow. And I just ran out of litmus paper! Alright chemists, where do the mentioned liquids &amp; juices fall on the PH scale?

Fresh lemon juice has a pH of 2.2-2.6. Lime juice is about the same.

Concentrated HCl will burn the H*ll out of you (it has a pH of less than 1).

HIV survives very well in saliva.

Briela
05-12-2003, 06:51 PM
I don\'t think it\'s that bad.

Okay Andy, you go first and tell us how it really feels. Since you don\'t have a vagina, you\'ll just have to test it on the old chocolate wizz-wang. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gerund
05-12-2003, 07:17 PM
you\'ll just have to test it on the old chocolate wizz-wang. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Man, I can\'t believe the language in some of these posts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

krtel
05-12-2003, 07:26 PM
Really? So does that mean someone can contract HIV by kissing?

- Krish

Andy
05-13-2003, 03:15 AM
Oooooooookay ... I tested it on a female specimen of homo sapiens sapiens (please, don\'t ask me how I did it) and it seemed to give no unpleasant side effects. The clitoris seemed to be a little more sensitive and it looked like it was fun. Science hooooooo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Watcher
05-14-2003, 06:21 PM
Yep they prefer to smoke pot down here.