PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

Phantom
05-11-2003, 04:17 PM
I recently have been thinking of buying a digital camera but don\'t want to spend lots of money and be stuck with a piece of junk. I\'m willing to spend around $100-$300, anyone have a specific camera they can recommend? Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Bruce
05-11-2003, 05:23 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
I recently have been thinking of buying a digital camera but don\'t want to spend lots of money and be stuck with a piece of junk. I\'m willing to spend around $100-$300, anyone have a specific camera they can recommend? Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

I just bought an HP Photosmart 850 which is a great camera (4.1 megapixel, 8X optical zoom), but costs nearly $500. I really wanted that specific camera after reading an article about it, but I saw something pretty spiffy at Circuit City near my home while I was looking. $299. gets you a Kodak 3.1 megapixel, 3X optical zoom and they throw in a free case, battery and charger. For your price range, I would grab that.

Bruce

MAL224610
05-11-2003, 05:40 PM
I currently am using a Kodak CX4200 that I bought for 149$. its 2 megapixel with no optical zoom, but has digital zoom......if you are in the 100-300$ range this is a good choice(4230 has optical zoom)....2 megapixel can produce 4 x 7 photo quality, and with adobe photoshop 7 and the fractal format enlarger(I can get you the exact name later) you can enlarge and maintain quality.

Next step up is Olympus C5050-zoom quality lens, great photos 5 megapixel around 500-650$.

Sony DSC-F717 carl zeiss lens, optical zoom and thread for teleconverters, 5 mega pixel, sharp good pics....799$(I think the photos are overly sharpened tho)

Fuji S602 Zoom price online showing around 600$
3.12 Super CCD is actually a dual sensor res comes out around 6 megapixel, 6x optical zoom, great photoquality.

Nikon Coolpix 5700 (can\'t go wrong with a nikon) photo quality absolutely astonishing 35mm - 280 mm lens with threads, 8x optical zoom, with 4x digital (see dpreview.com photo gallery superior camera for macro photography)
800-1000$ 5 megapixel, lots of manual controls so that you can grow into a more pro camera if you like....

Can\'t go wrong with Canon Powershot series cameras either
5 megapixel powershot S50 3x optical zoom 500$ - 600$ excellent quality snapshots

Higher up....I\'m trying to find a way to get 3 grand to get a Canon EOS-10D Digital SLR with some Canon EF lenses...the reason? 6 megapixel, interchangeable lens(I\'m big into super wide angle, landscape, macro, and telephoto so this really helps), Compact Flash, excellent photoquality, and all lenses are useable on both the 8000$ EOS-1Ds(dream camera), and all film cams as well...

No matter what you buy, get Adobe Photoshop 7, and Elements.....The greatest tool is the Unsharp mask(for sharpening a soft photo), and the healing brush(photo touch up.)

That is a list of cams I have looked at and liked....definately check out everything at www.dcviews.com (\"http://www.dcviews.com\") and www.dpreview.com (\"http://www.dpreview.com\") (dpreview has sample galleries....seriously check them out before you decide)

If you have any questions let me know.

Mike

MAL224610
05-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Minolta dimage f100 (running near 300$-400$ worth the extra cash, good lens, great shots, compact).

as well as Nikon coolpix series cameras

Phantom
05-11-2003, 05:56 PM
I think I will wait a little longer then so I can save up some more money for a higher quality camera. By next month I will be able to afford a camera in the $500 - $800 range, When I buy things. I always do it in excess (I find that if I buy something higher quality than I need at the time, it always pays off later on) and I always was a picture buff anyways, maybe then I will be able to take pictures of the all the perfect 10\'s I hang around with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I will check out the site\'s you listed for information (I think Elana will have to wait a little longer for those pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), Thanks for your help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Phantom.

MAL224610
05-11-2003, 05:59 PM
what kind of photography do you do, or will be doing? and if you think 800 is excessive check out my dream camera

Canon EOS-1Ds ....11 megapixel CMOS sensor, full frame(same size as 35 mm so there is no focal multiplier(focal multiplier increases the mm of lens so a 2x focal multiplier makes a 35 mm lens equivalent to a 70 mm lens...which bites for wide angle....)... Raw format, utilizes capture one dSLR from Phase one(maker of a 22 megapixel back for medium format hasselblad cameras(total price 26,000$ visualize my tongue hanging out on this one)....not to mention that the body is a magnesium alloy, utilizes all Canon EOS EF format lenses, and speedlite with hotshoe....photo quality is stunning and professional....but for 8000$ you only get a body....for 1500$ you get the Canon EOS-10D and lenses, which is why I am shoot for this first so that I can take the lenses and use them on the 8000$ 1Ds when cash permits.....its the extreme....but more is soon to come

I cannot for the life of me remember who coined the technology but it is called wavefront coding.....the lens intentional blurs the image to an intermediate image, then with a DSP sharpens it perfectly....resulting in an endless depth of field(crystal clarity) right now the license is to Carl Zeiss Lenses, and to Olympus for Endoscopic cameras(which could alude to olympus 4/3 digital cameras having this technology)....there is always new technology coming out, so in this case it almost pays not to go to excessive, unless 8000$ is pocket change...in which case...bawlls to the walls

Phantom
05-11-2003, 06:10 PM
Well i\'ll be taking lots of pictures of females, I will be going to florida this summer and there\'s gonna be lots of half naked chicks running around in bikini\'s /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.But I also want to take up a hobby in photography, proabably taking pictures of landscapes, sun rises ect.. I just want a all-round high quality, durable, portable camera with lots of features and a battery with a moderate life span. Thats what i\'m aiming for, and I will pay s reasonable amount to purchase it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

MAL224610
05-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Then I would save as much as you can, and shoot for a nikon coolpix 5700, you can\'t go wrong with it...look at the photos on dpreview...the are jaw dropping.....its the next best thing to a digtal SLR....it has tons of spiffy advanced features that you can grow into....controlling shutterspeed, iso(same thing as film speed), aperature , white balance(some for special effects)....excellent nikkor lens...seriously 8x optical and 4x digital = 32x zoom, great for telephoto....and the macro mode is phenom.....the only thing better that I have seen on a dSLR is the canon EOS system macro lens set....and those range into the 1000$ price range for a lens alone....The kodak is doing the trick for me, I do landscape, macro, people, architecture, and abstract....I want to get into action buy I need the faster shutter speeds, and control over shutter in order to capture a fast moving target....I recomend the research, purchasing a digital camera is like buying a car....don\'t get the gremlin, get the ferrari(or at least something close to it)..

tallmacky
05-11-2003, 07:03 PM
$500-$800 hell you could buy a high quality digital camcorder for that amount.