PDA

View Full Version : Dan

Bruce
05-09-2003, 08:35 AM
This is probably more a \"you really had to be there\" story than \"humor\", but it really cracks me up. It\'s about Dan; our neighbor\'s dog. Dan isn\'t really all that funny on his own. It is my Japanese wife\'s reaction to Dan that really does my heart good. My wife doesn\'t laugh at the same kind of stuff most American\'s laugh at, but Dan really cracks her up, and Dan dropped over for a visit this morning.

Dan weighs about 200 pounds and is about 200 years old. His body is the shape of an Idaho potato with toothpicks coming out the bottom for legs. He rarely moves anymore, so it is a big event when he does. Dan is more like a battle tank than a dog really. It is hard to get him going, but when he is moving in a particular direction, it is very difficult to alter that direction. He doesn\'t seem to take any notice of anyone or anything in his path.

This morning I was sitting behind my desk when my wife called from the front door very urgently. I went to see what was up and my wife looked me in the eye and said in Japanese \"Dan has come over\". Sure enough Dan was just making the turn into our driveway, much like a tractor trailer would have to do to avoid running over your flowers. Most Japanese folks never get to see something like this their entire life and my wife was savoring every drop of the experience. Dan rolled up our driveway, made a very wide U-turn and went back down. We gave him plenty of room for the maneuver.

Dan, the canine battle tank. When he moves, I swear you can almost hear that squeaking/clanking sound that the tank treads make.

I guess you had to be there.

Bruce

franki
05-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Although I don\'t understand japanese culture at all, I think I understand why your wife laughed when she saw the battle tank dog. I would have laughed too, when I would see a funny animal like that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Franki