PDA

View Full Version : Investors snap up brothel shares

bivonic
05-01-2003, 10:30 PM
Looks like a nice place to stay next time you go down under for business!

http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/01/news/funny....reut/index.htm (\"http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/01/news/funny....reut/index.htm\")

Investors snap up brothel shares

Daily Planet spokesmadam Heidi Fleiss pitches Australian firm\'s IPO, calls sex a smart investment.
May 1, 2003: 11:36 AM EDT

MELBOURNE, Australia (Reuters) - Australian stock market investors plunged enthusiastically into the world\'s oldest profession Thursday when the country\'s largest brothel, the Daily Planet, began selling shares.

The Daily Planet, which hired Hollywood madam Heidi Fleiss to spice up its stock listing and touts itself as a recession-proof, five-star hotel, raised A$3.75 million ($2.36 million) after selling 7.5 million shares in the property arm of its business.

The stock soared to 75 cents in the first minutes of trade -- a hefty 50 percent premium on its 50 cent float price in an otherwise depressed equity market, and then settled back at around 70 cents.

\"Obviously the price is going to go up. It\'s sex, and everyone knows sex is a smart investment,\" Fleiss told reporters just before the shares started trading.

The Daily Planet, based in a Melbourne suburb, has a bar lounge and 18 themed rooms with names like Venus and Xanadu. Some of the rooms have beds and heavily chlorinated spas large enough for several guests at a time.

The company lured investors with the prospect of a steady 8.4 percent dividend, including Australian tax credits.

The listing marked the company\'s second attempt to enter the stock exchange. It aborted its first try in 1994 in the face of Victoria state legislation that subjected all investors in sex industry businesses to police checks.

To get the issue off the ground this time, the company decided to incorporate the property side of the business separately from the brothel operation, so that investors would not be subject to the Prostitution Control Act.

The bulk of the listed company -- 26 million in non-tradable shares -- is held mainly by the brothel\'s original owner, Chairman John Trimble, giving it a total stock market capitalization of around A$23.5 million ($14.5 million).

The Daily Planet turned to notorious madam Heidi Fleiss to help it market the issue, naming her its international ambassador.

Fleiss came out of jail in 1998 after serving 21 months of a three-year sentence for money laundering and tax evasion convictions stemming from her prostitute ring for Hollywood\'s rich and famous.

bundyburger
05-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Yeah ...well the shares are sitting at $1.56 right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So much for the good dividend. lol

Mtnjim
05-02-2003, 09:43 AM
Hey Watcher,
I know you are a trader. How many shares did you buy??

Just be sure not to eat up the profits!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Watcher
05-02-2003, 12:44 PM
I hadnt realised that the realise was this week, so i havent brought any, and to be honest, im going to avoid this one like the plague, my prediction the shares will be at 80 cents within 2 weeks, people are going to lose money.
It is a world first however /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gerund
05-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I read about this in the paper.

From an economic perspective, if you can\'t eliminate it, you may as well legalize and tax it.

From a societal perspective, it should result in better working conditions and medical care for the women involved, and less risk of disease transfer for the men.

From an environmental perspective -- well, it is a non-polluting industry -- and pussy IS a renewable resource.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif