PDA

View Full Version : Creating mixes

Lutz
04-14-2003, 10:05 PM
I\'ve never understood how people could come up with a set ratio for creating mixes. Call me stupid if you want, but I just can\'t seem to grasp why a certain mix should have certain amount of certain ingredients. How do we know how much is right? Or why use this product instead of that product? (Well, I mean, I can see why mixing a -nol product and a -none product would be preferable to mixing two -none products, but why specifically that -nol product?)

Can anybody enlighten me on this? I would greatly appreciate it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, I would like to create a mix myself, but I could use some directions. For starters, I would like to know how Watcher has come up with his ideal mix (\"10% Anone, 40% Anol, 10% Arone, 10% EW (400:1) dilution or 10% PCC, 10% A1, 20% WAGG\" - for instance, why 10% -none? why not 15%?). I am not trying to pick on Watcher (I enjoy reading his posts, BTW), but his mix was the one that came to my mind right away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, I think I should stay away from the forum for a while b/c today in my organic chemistry lab, I \"mistakenly\" wrote -nol instead of cyclohexanol and -none instead of cyclohexanone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Alquimista
04-14-2003, 10:24 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Also, I think I should stay away from the forum for a while b/c today in my organic chemistry lab, I \"mistakenly\" wrote -nol instead of cyclohexanol and -none instead of cyclohexanone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Dude, now you scared me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif! Watch out with the crazy mixes that you may create on you organic chemistry lab... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DrSmellThis
04-15-2003, 03:25 PM
you really just have to check archives and read for a while if you want to understand. Or just copy off someone and try different things.