PDA

View Full Version : Janeane Garafalo on Fox News

Elana
04-12-2003, 04:55 PM
O\'REILLY: If you are wrong.....; and if the United States - and they will, this is going to happen - goes in, liberates Iraq [with] people in the street, American flags, hugging our soldiers.....; you gonna apologize to George W. Bush?

GARAFALO: I would be so willing to say, \"I\'m sorry\". I hope to God that I can be made a buffoon of, that people will say, \"You were wrong. You were a fatalist\". And I will go to the White House on my knees on cut glass and say, \"Hey, you and Thomas Friedman were right....; I shouldn\'t have doubted you\"....;

D\'oh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

upsidedown
04-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Not gonna\' happen!

http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2003/4/13/82253 (\"http://www.newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2003/4/13/82253\")

EXIT63
04-14-2003, 11:37 AM
I\'m still waiting for Alec Baldwin to leave the country.

Whitehall
04-14-2003, 03:39 PM
I saw her a couple of times during the run-up to the war and while I disagreed with her on most of her \"arguments\", I did come away thinking that some day, she might obtain something like wisdom.

She is definitely bright and does put her words together adequately so that she communicates her position. She might make a great Republican some day when she grows up.

What people with some sort of \"artistic\" celebrity status are doing is trading on their celebritihood to gain public attention. The nature of being a celebrity goes back to ancient polytheism where our human nature found expression is a specific human form and personality. Zeus was the archtypical Alpha Male, Hera the Matriarch, Mars the Warrior. Today we have the Cutesy Chick (Melanie Griffith), The New Warrior (Schwartzenegger), and so forth.

However, just creating a \"personal brand\" and becoming a celebrity does not give one\'s opinions special weight. Those opinions do get enhanced dissemination through the power of mass media. While becoming a celebrity might be said to require special qualities from a person (more likely, just great luck), it is no guarentee that the person who has become a celebrity will bring anything special or worthwhile to the public discussion. They are just ordinary people capable of commanding extraordinary attention.

Not all celebrities are worthy of attention but some have good minds and great skills at articulation. However, they\'re almost always Republicans.

Mtnjim
04-14-2003, 04:07 PM
\"Not all celebrities are worthy of attention but some have good minds and great skills at articulation. However, they\'re almost always Republicans.\"

And here I\'ve been going along thinking they were Whigs; Just goes to show.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

EXIT63
04-14-2003, 05:40 PM
I think it has to do with people being self-centered.
I\'m a celebrity!
The world revolves around me!
PAYYY ATTTENTION TO MEEEEEE!!!

Some people actually listen to them.
They love celebrities.
Turn on the \"TODAY\" show and see all the idiots screaming and waving at the camera. They really made it onto national television. Now I guess their lives are complete.

Sorry, just rambling like an idiot again.