PDA

View Full Version : Making jasmine perfume

DrSmellThis
04-10-2003, 11:30 AM
Here\'s how:

You just get the pure essential oil (Oshadi Jasmine Sambac would be a good choice. Just put \"oshadi\" into a search engine) and dilute in everclear; maybe 8 parts everclear to 1 part essential oil, then after that matures for a week, you can add half again as much water to that to extend it.

Add a little musk (some SOE or ambrette seed oil would work in a pinch), Sandalwood, benzoin and/or patchouli for a fixative (just enough to barely smell whatever fixative); and a little ylang-ylang to bring out some of the jasmine notes and extend it. Adding a little of the SP jasmine oil love scent sells would bring out the top end. Adding a touch of clary sage, rose, rose geranium, cardamom (this one especially would work very well), tobacco oil (no more than 1-2 drops), and/or coriander would be good highlights.

The rule here is to just add enough of each extra ingredient to be able to barely smell it; and not one drop more. You don\'t want to take away anything from the pure jasmine smell!!. Adding things, however, helps you get more mileage out of the expensive jasmine (especially ylang-ylang, which is often used for this purpose in jasmine perfumes by pros!)

Ideally you want to let the oils mature for a week - 10 days before adding the alcohol, then let that mature another 7-10 before adding a little water. Then put the whole thing in a nice atomizer or fancy bottle. You can clean an old perfume bottle with rubbing alcohol, soap and water for this if you want.

Your girlfriend (or you)will go nuts with the romance of it all!

CJ01
04-10-2003, 11:44 AM
Great, thanks doc if I ever get a girlfriend I´ll try it out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif CJ

CJ01
04-10-2003, 11:45 AM
BTW have you tried the jasmine IR cologne, what do you think of it?

DrSmellThis
04-11-2003, 03:40 AM
I\'ve not.

nonscents
04-11-2003, 03:57 AM
DrST,

OK, here come the newbie questions.

Does one need to shake such a mixture before use? I\'ve been wondering about this since I\'ve got some real basic essential oils from the health food store and some everclear. I use the everclear with a little water as a deodorant. I wanted to add some essential oils, but everyone knows that \"oil and water don\'t mix,\" and I don\'t know any good emulsifiers to stick under my arms.

Second, are you saying mix all the essential oils first, then let them age together, then add the everclear, etc.?

P.S. Thanks for all the great info.

DrSmellThis
04-11-2003, 11:38 AM
yes to the last Q.

You must dissolve EOs in everclear first, then water will mix.