PDA

View Full Version : Help the SETI program

Watcher
04-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Folks can download a screensaver that doubles as a processing program for radio signals from the SETI project. You can say youve been helping looking for alien radio signatures.

http://www.setiathome.berkeley.edu (\"http://www.setiathome.berkeley.edu\")

ANd hopefully you will be the one to process the real thing lol.

tallmacky
04-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Hey watcher I have heard of this thing, I was thinking about trying it but I do folding at home which is basically seeking a cure for cancer by trying different molecular structures which some are processed on your PC. I think both are a great I idea and hey if you are going to run a screenssaver and not be at your computer at the time you may as well help out a bit.

Watcher
04-09-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey thats a great idea, well i was running grub also which is looksmarts/google new search engine that can search the entire web once a week by using a background crawler. The best yet, but hey SETI will do for me.

Mtnjim
04-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Make sure you get the LATEST VERSION or download the PATCH. There is a buffer overflow in recent versions that allow anyone to execute code on your computer.

FYI

Jim

proteus
04-09-2003, 06:11 PM
From a technical standpoint this project is fairly interesting. However, the problem I have with this whole SETI thing is the SETI folks tend to ignore much of the much laughed at witness accounts of the infamous \"UFO Phenomenom\". There are lots of good witness accounts from former military/NASA types for example as accounted in the Disclosure Project and many other sources. But since they don\'t fit the so-called \"scientific method\" they are discounted with giggles at best, but more commonly sneers. So while I think the SETI project serves a purpose, I think in a way it is somewhat humorous, especially if even one of these UFO accounts are \"true\". Anyway, thanks for posting this Watcher as who knows, maybe this project will yet yield the \"proof\" that will be sufficient for the eternal skeptics :-) - I\'d load the screensaver but got too much other stuph running on my computer as it is :-)

Watcher
04-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Look i take an open view on the ALiens visiting earth thing. It would take advanced technology to have Faster than light travel.

On a serious note the SETI program is good, as any \"real\" chance of intercepting a alien radio or other signal would be best picked up by these folks. Lets say that UFO\'s in the x-files sense arent real, but there are other civilisations out there that perhaps dont have advanced FTL travel but have broadcasts their signals, and we picked them up, that would be enough to turn our species upside down, and its a fun thing to help out with to.

I wont believe the x-file type of stuff until i see a UFO on the whitehouse lawn with the president meeting some alien being with full media coverage etc.

Watcher
04-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Ive got the latest version 3.8. Actually both units ive processed so far have really focused on garissan type signals and triplets (which may mean something weird or actually a signal) if they dont get anaylised then you just have background noise.
Been interesting watching it and some interesting science behind it to.

Watcher
04-11-2003, 12:36 AM
So what is that cancer molecule thing tallmacky. Also is anyone else using the SETI program.

tallmacky
04-11-2003, 01:55 AM
Here it is http://www.foldingathome.com (\"http://www.foldingathome.com\")

druid
04-11-2003, 06:45 PM
i have been using the seti program for several months now (i have donated over 10900 hours of computer time to processing units). Watcher if you want to really decrease the amount of time it takes to process a work unit then turn the screen saver off. put the program to run constantly (when the screen saver is NOT maximized) and set your monitor to go to sleep after a few minutes of inavtivity. I have an old pentium 2 400 with 64 megs of ram and it doesn\'t slow do that much.

I have a very funny story related to the seti program. One day I left it maximized and my mom came in to use the computer (do her banking stuff online) and she asked what it is and I explained it to her (in a non-techincal manner -- she is not techincally inclined at all). then she said fine and did her stuff. a couple weeks later i was not home and she was having problems with her online banking stuff so she called the tech support and the guy asked her what other programs she had running. she said \"well my son is getting signals from aliens in outer space on his computer\". I still laugh my a$$ off about it to this day.