PDA

View Full Version : Dear Moderator...

newuser
04-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Why not do as some other moderated forums do? After a user has a history of \"appropriate\" postings (4, 5, 6?), his/her posts get listed immediately. Then it is only the new (and *potentially* trolling) posts that get postponed for awhile?
Just an idea. It\'s very successful elsewhere.

New(NotSoNew)User!

franki
04-01-2003, 01:28 AM
Dear User, it is not for the moderators to decide about that. Only the admin can do those kind of things.

I think your idea is OK, but we may have to put the hurdle a bit higher: I was thinking of 20 or 50 posts or so. ..

Franki /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Watcher
04-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Heres an idea, i would say given the large number of pre-existing forum members who have been here for 3 months or more that they should become moderators, now we are on often enough that at least one person will be online at any one time and can clear those posts.
I would also say 300 posts needs to be the quantifiying mark and those must be at least useful posts also.
To stop the spammers racking up 300 posts and then running amok.

Phantom
04-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Does\'nt matter now anyway, since bruce isnt accepting any new users, the wacko wont be coming back.

Watcher
04-01-2003, 12:59 PM
True how long is he planning on doing this, new users are probably trying to get on, some that are actually interested.
I guess a better screening process or limiting to customers would be a good way to go.

Bruce
04-01-2003, 01:38 PM
This is a great idea (only holding posts of new users), but unfortunately with the preseant version of the forum script we are using, that isn\'t easily done. We are upgrading to a new version (today I think) and I am hoping to see some new security options like that. After I get a look at the updated version, I will see about having any necessary modifications done. I have a feeling we will just have to tightly control registrations from now on, then it can be pretty much business as usual on the inside.
Bruce

Watcher
04-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Good work bruce, it should make it saner around here and those programs are updated all the time, i run one on my personal website on a investment discussion forum - only have 500 users but you should be able to do that and more. If we come up with any ideas u can also send suggestions to the programmers so they can implement in future versions.

cuddlebear
04-01-2003, 05:56 PM
It is a crying shame that one abuser can wreak so much havoc ... I know I haven\'t been on as much as I should but my day job with a new supervisor has made that impossible ... And it\'s a REAL shame about genuine newbies that can\'t get on .... but unfortunately, what\'s gotta be done is what\'s gotta be done ... maybe someday when we\'re over this hurdle we\'ll look back and say remember when? Cuddles

Watcher
04-01-2003, 08:16 PM
Hopefully bruce can find some new security features in this new version he is talking about putting up. I know past upgrades have helped immensly.