PDA

View Full Version : Older Than Dirt . . .

upsidedown
03-24-2003, 06:39 PM
First lets start with this one. You find an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top is a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.

No, it is not an attempt to make a salt shaker. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to \"sprinkle\" clothes with because we didn\'t have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How Many Do You Remember??

* Head lights dimmer switches on the floor

* Ignition switches on the dashboard

* Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall

* Real ice boxes [Ask your Mom about that]

* Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

* Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

* Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz -- Count all the ones that you remember, NOT the ones you were told about!

(Ratings at the bottom.)

1. Blackjack chewing gum

2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water

3. Candy cigarettes

4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottle

5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes

6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

7. Party lines

8. Newsreels before the movie

9. P. F. Flyers

10. Butch wax

11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive - 6933)

12. Peashooters

13. Howdy Doody

14. 45 RPM records

15. S&H Green Stamps

16. Hi-fi\'s

17. Metal ice trays with lever

18. Mimeograph paper

19. Blue flashbulb

20. Packards

21. Roller skate keys

22. Cork popguns

23. Drive-ins

24. Studebakers

25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You\'re still young

If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older

If you remembered 11-15 = Don\'t tell your age

If you remembered 16-25 = You\'re older than dirt!

**DONOTDELETE**
03-24-2003, 06:44 PM
Wow, that takes me back. I remembered 1-5, 7, 14-17, 19, 21 and 25. Blackjack chewing gum - when I read the words, I could smell and taste it. I loved that gum. My cousin Linda June used to chew it, too.

bundyburger
03-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Someone mentioned Blackjacks to me recently. How many they used to get for only \"this much\" etc. Never heard of them until then. They were pretty popular apparently. Even here in Oz

seadove
03-24-2003, 10:04 PM
>>>14. 45 RPM records <<<

In my attic we have 33s and 78s records, very oldies.

What does that make me?

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

upsidedown
03-24-2003, 10:12 PM
I remember the 45 rpms very vividly from when I was a kid. In fact, that\'s what we used when I was a radio disc jockey back in the late 70\'s/early 80\'s.

BTW....I remembered 16 of the items on the questionaire....which just slides me into that older than dirt category. You young guys can laugh all you want, but I promise you that you won\'t feel old when you get in your early 40\'s either. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

seadove
03-24-2003, 10:20 PM
<<<25. Wash tub wringers >>>

What\'s wrong with using wash tub wringers even today?

<<<Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards. >>>

I still have a couple of these.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Watcher
03-25-2003, 12:12 AM
Interesting im 22 so i failed considerably.

EXIT63
03-25-2003, 04:37 AM
I can still remember the smell of the ink from the mimeograph.

seadove
03-25-2003, 04:40 AM
Do they still sell Quink?

Sexyredhead
03-25-2003, 06:00 AM
I remember #2, 3, 4, 5, 7 (still available in OR, or were a few years ago), 14, 15, 17, 19 (on my grandmother\'s camera), 23 (still around in some places--I used to go all the time in HS), and 25.

That puts me in the \"Don\'t Tell Your Age\" category.

And I\'m 28.

Well, I didn\'t feel old before, but now....

Thanks so much, USD. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-25-2003, 08:20 AM
ROFL

I\'m 46 and was in the same category. Maybe it\'s early Altzheimer\'s onset. I\'ve probably seen all those things, just can\'t remember anymore...

upsidedown
03-25-2003, 08:31 AM
I tend to think the person who made up the grading scale (it wasn\'t me) was a bit off on accuracy. There\'s no way that 28 is old. I don\'t think 44 is old...and that\'s where I fit. But, it\'s all for fun anyway so I don\'t take it seriously..

FTR, I noticed that you didn\'t list #23. drive-ins in your selection of what you remember. I find it hard to believe you don\'t remember drive-ins.....and am just guessing that it was an oversight in your list?

Too bad young people today can\'t experience drive-ins. They don\'t realize what fun they\'re missing out on.

Sexyredhead
03-25-2003, 08:34 AM
I think the reason they can\'t experience them is exactly BECAUSE their parents remember what they did at drive-ins. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

On the other hand, a pick-up truck with lawn chairs and an old couch is a great way to watch a movie, especially when it\'s all you can fit in your car for $6. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-25-2003, 09:01 AM
You\'re right, it was an oversight. I remember my first drive in movie very well.

Actually, that\'s a lie. I remember what happened in the car. I couldn\'t tell you what movie was playing. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Mtnjim
03-25-2003, 10:49 AM
When I was small, my grand mother still had one of those phones that looked loke a box hanging on the wall with the mouth piece on the front a crank on the right side and the ear piece connected by a cord on the left. It was her only phone.

Gerund
03-26-2003, 05:38 PM
My high school girlfriend\'s mom called our local drive-in \"The Passion Pit.\" /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

As with FTR, I don\'t remember too much about the movies I supposedly watched~ /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif