PDA

View Full Version : Methanol or Ethanol

Goanna
03-19-2003, 08:42 PM
I know that methanol is toxic if ingested, but how is it if applied topically? Isoproanol is also toxic if taken intrernally, but is in hundreds of topical skin care products, so I was thinking that amybe the same applies for methanol.

I only ask because I can not find any everclear (ethanol) available around me at all, yet methanol is sold in almost every supermarket and autoparts store, under the brand name \"Heet\".

I wanted to do some mixing with TE, SPMO, SOE and Acqua di gio fragrance oil, but I figured i would check and see if anyone has substituted methanol for ethanol in mixtures.

DrSmellThis
03-20-2003, 06:58 AM
ONLY ETHANOL!! If you can\'t find everclear, try 151 rum in a pinch.
Use jojoba oil (or denatured palm oil) for a nice oil base -- which might be what you\'d prefer

CJ01
03-20-2003, 08:05 AM
Eeeeeeeek - methanol!!!

I got my ethanol from a normal pharmacy. I chemist will be able to get it for you too I reckon. I don´t know which country you live in but just ask your pharmacy first. My bottle is about 90% I think.

Goanna
03-20-2003, 09:51 AM
I dont think they will sell it to me OTC. I am in NY, and I think this is one of the states that it is illegal in, I am not sure though,

Goanna
03-20-2003, 09:51 AM
I dont think they will sell it to me OTC. I am in NY, and I think this is one of the states that it is illegal in, I am not sure though,

EXIT63
03-20-2003, 10:15 AM
Come to Jersey, you can buy everclear in any liquor store.

CJ01
03-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Why would you want to cover yourself up with booze if you can get pissed on it instead? Everclear is booze isn´t it ? I´m asking because I´m not sure I´ve ever come across it, at least not whilst sober.

Goanna
03-20-2003, 11:02 AM
It isnt the best idea to drink straight everclear. You could actually die from it. It has NO taste and NO odor, so you usually wind up drinking it like it was water. Since it is so strong, you could easily get alcohol poisoning after a couple of glasses.

I myself like absinthe. drink as much as you want and you get no hangovers, and it gives you a nice feeling of euphoria, and it enhances all your senses. It is also an aphrodesia (sp?).

EXIT63
03-20-2003, 11:31 AM
Everclear is 190 proof (95%) grain alcohol. Forum members say it\'s good for mixing mones. I haven\'t tried that. It\'s also good for making a punch with lots of fresh fruit and juice. No one I know drinks it straight! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

CJ01
03-20-2003, 11:36 AM
Okay, I had no idea what Everclear really was.

I can´t understand why ethanol would be illegal anywhere. After all it´s in every cologne, perfum. In that case colognes would have to be illegal too would they not???
Maybe you can try to order it from the internet somewhere.

CJ01
03-20-2003, 11:37 AM
Oh so you CAN drink it ! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

EXIT63
03-20-2003, 11:43 AM
CJ, Try this:

http://www.beerliquors.com/liquors/grain.htm (\"http://www.beerliquors.com/liquors/grain.htm\")

CJ01
03-20-2003, 12:11 PM
cool, maybe I should add this link to the other ones too.

Briela
03-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Yes, it\'s illegal to sell methanol OTC in NY.

DrSmellThis
03-20-2003, 03:19 PM
I use 200 proof ethanol, but you have to be a Dr. to buy it. And yes, it is very drinkable, when DILUTED. It is dangerous in the hands of idiots, to be sure.

In commercial perfumes they use denatured ethanol, which has chemicals added that make it undrinkable. That is why you can buy colognes anywhere.

Goanna
03-20-2003, 07:15 PM
Brielia, Methanol is not illegal here, Ethanol is. Methanol can be bought at any auto parts store or supermarket. It is a gas line antifreeze, brand name HEET. It is the yellow bottle, but as stated above, it isnt well suited for our purposes.