PDA

View Full Version : Manly Cologne!

Phantom
03-15-2003, 09:52 AM
Any one have an idea on some good \"manly\" smelling cologne? my brother smelled some cologne on me and he now thinks it\'s time to get himself some good cologne. Any ideas?... i\'m willing to spend around $60, he does\'nt know anything about phero\'s so he does\'nt need cologne to cover them up.... any input would be great /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif thanks.

bsxs
03-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Haha I know this is VERY off topic, but I don\'t see the point in being \'manly\' though. I don\'t know. From what I\'ve observed girls wouldn\'t really want to date a manly man that works out all day. If you\'re in it for the nookie, then word, but otherwise I don\'t really see a point. That\'s just my personal opinion though.

Phantom
03-15-2003, 10:03 AM
lol thanks for the input, but it was my brothers suggestion (he doesnt wear anything thats not \"manly\" enough) it\'s a birthday present, so I guess I have to get what he wants even if the girls don\'t like it.... /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

franki
03-15-2003, 10:03 AM
I think it means he isn\'t looking for a gay scent like Le Male cologne.

Franki /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Irish
03-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Chrome.

Women in their twenties compliment me out of the blue on this one. There\'s lots of other good ones, but Chrome is available in dept stores and has a fresh clean masculine scent. It covers pheros very well. I don\'t seem to get tired of it, can wear it at work or out on the town.

Phantom
03-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif i\'ll look for it the next time I goto macy\'s or elsewhere. Any other suggestions? I would like to try a few before I make a purchase (I got about 2 weeks to get it, thats about enough time to find the right one /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif)

Elana
03-15-2003, 10:18 AM
Lagerfeld Photo, Hugo Boss, Obsession

Phantom
03-15-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks Elana /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

keneng
03-15-2003, 10:40 AM
What do you guys (and girls) think of Boss in Motion?

franki
03-15-2003, 10:45 AM
I think the bottle/container is wonderful.

http://www.basenotes.com/cgi-bin/fragpro.cgi?a14=26122114 (\"http://www.basenotes.com/cgi-bin/fragpro.cgi?a14=26122114\")

MadDoctor
03-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Something that makes this difficult is ideas about what is & is not \"masculine smelling.\" Being one of the older fogies around here, I even feel kind if weird about wearing stuff like SoE or SPMO without a cover scent, they\'re way closer to scents that my mom wore than anything my dad would have. And what women like smelling on guys is way different from what guys think they should smell like (as I discovered when scent shopping with a female helper). I think the trick will be finding something which he\'s happy to wear which won\'t bother other people, e.g. scents of the Old Spice variety will remind women of grandpa, while going too far towards Jovan Musk will give people sinus headaches.

I like Elana\'s suggestion of Hugo Boss (in terms of a good compromise), I use Curve as a comfortable middle-ground, but HB was a very close runner-up. If you have an hour to spare, I\'d recommend heading off to your local Macy\'s (or whatever), spraying the little slips of paper, waving them around until dry, and reaching your own conclusions, you can probably guess his taste pretty well. Remember to ask for some coffee beans to smell in between, or your nose will OD after the first several whiffs.

ShyGuy
03-15-2003, 02:20 PM
What\'s so gay about Le Male? (Well, except for the bottle). I think it smells great. Girls like it too, and it is great at covering up \'mones.

Elana
03-15-2003, 02:22 PM
Le Male and Angel has sweeter scents. They happen to be extremely sexy! I can only assume he meant sweet rather than gay.

franki
03-15-2003, 02:29 PM
It has something to do with the vanilla I guess. Besides that, it is very popular in those circles.

BTW, I am not dissing Le Male at all. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

ShyGuy
03-15-2003, 02:47 PM
Guess it just means gay people have good taste /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

bsxs
03-15-2003, 02:50 PM
The bottle is VERY fruity. I mean I guess it\'s unique or somethin, I don\'t know.

ShyGuy
03-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Yeah, it\'s almost a bit embarrassing to have it standing in my bathroom /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

DrSmellThis
03-15-2003, 03:51 PM
I\'d have to recommend BelAmi by Hermes, in Paris. That\'s the traditional Russian leather cologne. Non-mistakably masculine, and a truly great cologne. One of my favorites. You could buy it that cheap on the internet, perhaps.

franki
03-15-2003, 08:02 PM
If you like sweet colognes, try out Joop Rococo.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-15-2003, 08:05 PM
What about Christian Dior\'s Eau Savage?

MadDoctor
03-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Good idea! It seemed to take perfumers a while to find scents for men which were subtle and pleasant but wouldn\'t scare buyers off with smelling *too* pretty. Eau Savage was ahead of its time, so even though it\'s an old scent (I wore it over 20 years ago, it wasn\'t new then) it still smells good now, and has decades of acceptance of its masculinity.

DrSmellThis
03-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Really the general answer is to go for older colognes in general, as newer ones are more \"castrated.\" (hence my suggestion).

EXIT63
03-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Really the general answer is to go for older colognes in general, as newer ones are more \"castrated.\"

...lol /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

camusflage
03-18-2003, 08:26 AM
Uhhh, actually, Le Male is to today\'s generation of gay men what Obsession was to yesterday\'s..

CptKipling
03-18-2003, 08:31 AM
Le Male smells gay?! Eh? I would have to say no.

A lot of what your brother will consider masculin will come down to personal preference.

franki
03-18-2003, 08:40 AM
I never smelled a cologne that smelled more gay than Le Male. Or do you know another cologne that smells (more) gay?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Women love it.

franki
03-18-2003, 08:47 AM
If you would leave out the sandalwood notes, I think it would be a good women\'s cologne..

CptKipling
03-18-2003, 08:56 AM
To your nose, maybe...

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2003, 01:48 PM
my advice would be aqua di gio by Armani. When i wearit i only get compliments on it by young hot girls. Even when i am with a group of friends the woman always say wow someone smells so goood. This occurs with or without mones but it defenitly grabs the girls attention and make them want to be close to me. If thats not the reason it would have to be my sexy looks! Also for the younger girls you cand try aberocrombie and fitch woods it has a very musky smell and also covers the mones well.

Whitehall
03-20-2003, 12:16 PM
Eau Sauvge is a favorite of many, myself included. A true classic with gentlemanly restraint.

Le Male smells too fruity, to my nose, and I don\'t mean apples and apricots either.

For a real \"man-in-heat\" smell, try Animale. It is very obvious rather than restrained.

DrSmellThis
03-20-2003, 02:56 PM
See page 3 of the Amouage thread for another recommendation for day time wear.