PDA

View Full Version : great words from a great leader

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2003, 05:06 PM
\"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.\"

George Washington

Gerund
03-15-2003, 12:00 AM
How about, \"The Price of Freedom is Eternal Vigilance.\"

Gerund
03-15-2003, 12:01 AM
Also: \"All that is necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.\"

EXIT63
03-15-2003, 05:31 AM
\"All that is necessary for Evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.\" ...

How very true that statement is. These days especially!

MadDoctor
03-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Or this one:
\"There never was a good war, or a bad peace.\"
-- Benjamin Franklin

TBiRD
03-16-2003, 06:06 PM
WAR FOR PEACE IS LIKE F.U.C.K.I.N.G FOR VIRGINITY

seadove
03-17-2003, 01:29 AM
\"I prefer the never-ending difficulties of peace-making, rather than the bitter agonies of War\"

MENAHEM BEGIN, LATE PRIME MINISTER OF ISRAEL.

Whitehall
03-17-2003, 08:05 AM
\"Just do what you gotta do....\"

Chuck Berry

Briela
03-17-2003, 05:44 PM
\"What kind of peace do we seek? Not a \'Pax Americana\' enforced on the world by American weapons of war. Not the peace of the grave or the security of a slave. I am talking about genuine peace, the kind of peace that makes life on earth worth living, the kind that enables men and nations to grow and to hope and to build a better life for their children—not merely peace for Americans, but peace for all men and women; not merely peace in our time, but peace for all time.\" - John F. Kennedy

\"We have the power to make this the best generation of mankind in the history of the world, or to make it the last.\"- John F. Kennedy

Gerund
03-18-2003, 04:52 PM
**Those who are willing to exchange freedoms and security for peace with false security deserve what they get.**

EXIT63
03-18-2003, 05:34 PM
\"I would rather have a bottle in front of me...Than a frontal lobotomy\".

Gerund
03-18-2003, 05:41 PM
\"A hand in a bush is worth two----

Wait a minute, lemme get back to you on that~ /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2003, 05:42 PM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

EXIT63
03-18-2003, 05:48 PM
---2 on the rack!

Gerund
03-18-2003, 06:10 PM
ooooo -- good answer! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

franki
03-18-2003, 07:33 PM
\"Democracy in America is still a work in progress. But even with its flaws, this unique American experience provides a shining beacon to peoples who still suffer in places where ethnic difference is a license to kill.\" -- Condoleezza Rice, Republican National Convention, 2000.

A quote from my favorite member of the Bush administration.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/nsc/ricebio.html (\"http://www.whitehouse.gov/nsc/ricebio.html\")

a.k.a.
03-18-2003, 07:37 PM
“Now let me suggest first that if we are to have peace on earth, our loyalties must become ecumenical rather than sectional. Our loyalties must transcend our race, our tribe, our class, and our nation; and this means we must develop a world perspective. No individual can live alone; no nation can live alone, and as long as we try, the more we are going to have war in this world. Now the judgment of God is upon us, and we must either learn to live together as brothers or we are all going to perish together as fools.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2003, 07:44 PM
YES! Wow, that\'s good. Now if everyone would just agree...

franki
03-18-2003, 07:46 PM
It is utopic ....

Franki /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2003, 07:55 PM
It is, but it\'s true, I mean, it\'s also a practical truth. We\'re all one race, the human race, and we all share the same place to live, the earth, and that\'s reality, too, as much as it\'s reality for a person to say they\'re one nationality or another. Maybe Pax Americana will unify us and we can all be Americans. How would anyone like that, I wonder? Since all us Americans are mutts of uncertain national origen, those of us who\'ve been here since the beginning anyway, so it\'s not about race, and it\'s not about religion, you can practice any religion you please and still be an American, and if you need regional loyalties as well as national ones, you can wave your state\'s flag ... How about the state of Iraq? How about the state of France? Let\'s all just be Americans. I guess that\'s the plan.

franki
03-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Well, first they should \"really\" seperate religion and politics in the USA. I keep reading in the papers about the influence religion has on especially the Republican Party.

Being an atheist myself I don\'t want to live in a country where religion plays an important role in politics and everyday life. Of course I share christian values, but I don\'t want to lose my freedom.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Good point.

Lucky
03-18-2003, 08:38 PM
Franki,
You just hit on one of the most serious new threats to our freedoms (and I\'m a believer). It\'s gotta go, it can\'t be mixed.

Gerund
03-19-2003, 12:58 AM
Even in Utopia, there\'s myopia?

EXIT63
03-19-2003, 05:30 AM
...Being an atheist myself I don\'t want to live in a country where religion plays an important role in politics and everyday life. Of course I share christian values, but I don\'t want to lose my freedom...

Try to be anything other than Muslim in Saudi Arabia and see what happens.

franki
03-19-2003, 05:42 AM
What do you want to say with that? If there is someone who is against the Saudian regime it is me.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-19-2003, 05:51 AM
He wants to say with that, that you would not lose your religious freedom under any kind of American rule. You would most certainly lose it under any kind of Islamic rule.

franki
03-19-2003, 06:00 AM
That is why I do not want to live under islamic rule or in an islamic country and don\'t mind living in the States when there is an interesting opportunity to go after. I only want to warn against certain tendencies and people that want to take away freedoms.

\"He wants to say with that, that you would not lose your religious freedom under any kind of American rule.\"

Ironically I (personally) don\'t need that kind of religious freedom, because I am not religious ....

EXIT63
03-19-2003, 06:03 AM
...He wants to say with that, that you would not lose your religious freedom under any kind of American rule. You would most certainly lose it under any kind of Islamic rule...

Couldn\'t have said it better myself.

Briela
03-19-2003, 04:24 PM
\"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.\"- Friedrich Nietzche

\"War does not determine who is right -- only who is left.\" - Bertrand Russell

\"In peace, sons bury their fathers; in war, fathers bury their sons.\" - Herodotus

EXIT63
03-19-2003, 04:38 PM
\"The horror......The horror\"
\'Colonel Kurtz

EXIT63
03-20-2003, 04:45 AM
\"I assure you, this will not be a campaign of half measures, and we will accept no outcome but victory,\" GW Bush

seadove
03-20-2003, 05:04 AM
\"PEACE IS THE WORD.AND THE VOICE OF PEACE IS THE STATION, 24 HOURS A DAY\"

Abey Nathan, transmitting about peace from a pirate ship from somewhere in the Mediterranean.The pirate ship has stopped operating a long time ago and Mr. Abey Nathan is now in a wheelchair after suffering a stroke.

At that time Arafat was considered an enemy (what\'s he called now I really don\'t know), and Abey Nathan went to meet him in Gaza.For that we was jailed for a year.Immediately thereafter peace negotiations began to develop between the Palestinians and the Israelis.

This man, in his own way, has fought for peace in the Middle East, and has risked his life for it, maybe more than any other peace seeking person in the region.

Three cheers for Mr. Nathan, you deserve a Nobel peace prize.

MadDoctor
03-26-2003, 10:00 PM
\"Naturally, the common people don\'t want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor ... in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.\" --Herman Goering

MaxiMog
03-27-2003, 01:57 AM
Very wise words and an obvious truth!

belgareth
03-27-2003, 03:58 AM
I watched the Disney version of Pocahontas with my kids over the weekend. Towards the end there is a scene where the white settlers and the Indians are about to go to war. The white leader is denouncing the Indians for being different, accusing them of sneak attacks and withholding gold from the settlers. Of course, none of this is true but it is an excuse to lead the people to war against another group. They use the line \"Get them before they get us\"

It reminded me of our leaders and their excuses for leading us to war. Despite all the rhetoric, we are still sending our young people to attack another country to satisfy imperialistic goals. It makes me think of a line from Pink Floyd\'s Dark Side of the Moon \"Forward he cried from the rear and the front line died...\"