PDA

View Full Version : Study - Male Perspiration Brightens Womens Moods

camusflage
03-14-2003, 12:05 PM
http://tinyurl.com/7him (\"http://tinyurl.com/7him\") has the details.

\"Biologists at the University of Pennsylvania said they found male perspiration had a surprisingly beneficial effect on women\'s moods. It helps reduce stress, induces relaxation and even affects the menstrual cycle.\"

Very interesting.. They point out that there was no sexual response. They noted enhanced mood, less tension, and measures a spike in LH in the bloodstream of the targets. The methodology is interesting too, for those of us who don\'t do the deodorant thing: they \"collected samples from the underarms of men who refrained from using deodorant for four weeks.\"

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2003, 12:23 PM
That\'s good to know. For the sake of my health, then, I\'m gonna find a guy and make him sweat.

Watcher
03-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Resistance to acknowledging its role in sexual behaviour is what is keeping these unis from reporting the real truth, a lot are still caught up in the visual aspect. Well more dumbies to pheromones means a benefit for those in the know, less competition and all that.

Goddess
03-14-2003, 12:59 PM
FTR - I like the way you think! I always say there\'s only ONE good reason to sweat - now I can officially claim two (Lucky for me they are closely related!!!) Goddess

Irish
03-14-2003, 01:22 PM
dienone, a component of sweat, has been shown by itself to improve women\'s mood. A European study tested complete sweat and showed mood increase and increase in attractiveness. A previous study suggests that the presence of a male increases the effect, which may be the case in this study. It all adds up to pheros derived from sweat have a real effect on women\'s psychological and physical state. It will take years before science deciphers the subtleties of that silent language. The good news is that Bruce sells products made with the same chemicals, and we can experiment and find out some things ahead of science.

MadDoctor
03-14-2003, 03:28 PM
Well, they did say:
\"The study was done in quite a sterile environment. It\'s not strange that they were not thinking sexual thoughts,\" said Wysocki. \"In a more sensual setting, exposure to these odors might facilitate the emergence of sexual mood or feelings.\"

Especially with that big LH spike. I think they\'re catching on, but are being timid about it.

DrSmellThis
03-14-2003, 04:08 PM
Yes. Phero researchers all of a sudden turn in to 2nd graders when it comes to sex. Everybody\'s afraid of it, at least publically.

jvkohl
03-15-2003, 10:40 PM
The LH response noted in this report is precisely what occurs in every other species of mammal that\'s been tested. It also is linked to sexual behavior via control of sex steroid hormone levels. Basically, what the article says is that they found the same response in human females that occurs in the females of many other species when exposed to male pheromones. The title of my first presentation (1992) was LH: the link between sex and the sense of smell? With this latest report, the question mark in the title can be replaced with a period.

LH is the link between sex and the sense of smell.

Irish
03-17-2003, 06:49 AM
They\'re timid alright. They don\'t want to be labeled as \'sex researchers\', which even today has a touch of the \'witch doctor\' connotation in the sciences. Some of these folks came into phero research through the side door of other \'legitimate\' disciplines, and don\'t want to blow their credibility. It\'s a perception issue, but perception often governs funding, so I can understand how they might want to mute the sexual side of their research.

Bubu
03-17-2003, 09:10 AM
For Your information, this article touched Sweden too. I saw this one in Swedesh in local newspapper. Got laugh. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-17-2003, 11:31 AM
You know what? They need to wake up and smell the coffee. They should listen to Dr. Jennifer Berman sometime and stop being such prigs. Or maybe screen the women they use in the experiments for sexual experience/ability to be frank about sexual matters. I don\'t understand the reticence, what\'s that about? The sort of frantic desperation to stay clinical concerning physical desire seems kind of 18th century.

Irish
03-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Unfortunately, some of the very early \'work\' in the field suffered from some justifiably criticized excess and pseudo-science, to say the least. The aftershocks are still felt in the community - no respected foundation wants to wake up to lurid tales in the newspaper of their $ being used to fund sexual hijinks (there were some orgy events and the like in the fifties under the guise of science).

It\'s a legitimate field, and one we\'re all interested in, but the possibilities of crank science and charlatanism abound, as one can imagine. There\'s an element of prudery too, but not so much anymore. In any field some will be looked down upon as less professional or \'serious\' than others, and sexology unfortunately has borne that taint. Part of the bad reputation was well-deserved, and set the field back.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-17-2003, 01:23 PM
It\'s good progress that they\'re even looking at these things, I suppose. It just seems like it\'s moving so slow. I wish they\'d catch up. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Irish
03-17-2003, 01:40 PM
As usual, the Scandinavians are way ahead in this area. I think the Swedes are having sex in MRI machines, really figuring out what\'s going on inside the body during the act! And our beloved Savic in Stockholm gave us the definitive study on brain respose to A1 and EST: solid well-designed science that proved pheros are for real. That study might not have been funded if pitched here Stateside, at least not without corporate interest.

Of course the Swedes also commit suicide at an alarming rate, so who\'s to say which culture makes more sense.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-17-2003, 01:45 PM
I don\'t think that\'s necessarily an indication of mental illness but more like an appropriate response when you really just can\'t do it anymore. IMO. I\'m still with the Swedes. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif They\'re just more realistic than we are about things in most cases.

jvkohl
03-17-2003, 09:55 PM
There will be another report soon from two of the authors involved in the latest report on pheromones, LH, and mood. I\'ll provide more information on this later. Meanwhile, with regard to researchers who are afraid to have their research linked to human sexuality: the mass media misrepresentations are horrid; sex sells, and studies like this one make good headlines. The headlines overshadow the real meaning of the study, taking it instead to the most basic level that is of interest to the general public. All it takes to affect an institute\'s funding is the idea that they are involved in inappropriate sex research. Because the more we find, the closer we are linked to other animals, the link will continue to come up and funding will no doubt be reduced, when philanthropists or philanthropic organizations decide to fund something less controversial.

CptKipling
03-18-2003, 08:26 AM
\"I think the Swedes are having sex in MRI machines\"

Where do have to go to get involved in THAT kind of study!

Oh, Sweden...

CptKipling
03-18-2003, 08:26 AM
\"I think the Swedes are having sex in MRI machines\"

Where do have to go to get involved in THAT kind of study!

Oh, Sweden...

franki
03-18-2003, 08:28 AM
I believe they did that experiment at the University of Groningen in Holland.

Franki /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

camusflage
03-18-2003, 10:04 AM
James:
I just wanted to say thanks for sticking around here and sharing your insight into the scientific side of our hobbies with us. Some of us really do appreciate the pros\' perspective.

jvkohl
03-18-2003, 08:31 PM
I\'m happy to have this Forum as a means to disseminate more information, especially some of the more recent findings, all of which support extending everything we know about mammalian pheromones to attempts to explain human behavior. So, my thanks to all of you on the Pheromone Forum.

DrSmellThis
03-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks. Keep posting at will, Jim!