PDA

View Full Version : Methods for workout recovery?

Thanatos
03-09-2003, 10:47 AM
I really overdid it on my workout. I feel like an old man, muscles all stiff and tight. (and not in a good way)
Anyone have some methods that can speed the healing rate up for this?

Phantom
03-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Do you take any sports supplements?

MAL224610
03-09-2003, 11:09 AM
well for one thing warm shower to loosen up the muscles....another trick that I do is soak a towel in water and nuke it for 1 minute....the heat is amazing, just gotta make sure you don\'t burn yourself.......Carbs and Protein, and there are certain supps you can take to increase recovery time

Thanatos
03-09-2003, 11:09 AM
Nope. Iv\'e been in front of a computer for the past few years with minimal excercise. Like a moron I went and did a full body workout (body weight exercises) consisting of 3 sets of 6 reps for each muscle group. Iv\'e done this before, you think I would have learned my lesson. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Thanatos
03-09-2003, 11:11 AM
ya, been doing stretches while taking a hot shower and eating lots of eggs and tuna. I really worked myself over. It\'s been 4 days now and the muscle pain is just now starting to subside.

Thanatos
03-09-2003, 11:14 AM
oh ya, and drinking a gallon of water a day. Along with 2 multi-vitamins a day. Im in the process of changing my lifestyle around by getting more healthy and eating better. Just gotta make it through the beginning phases. ugh

Phantom
03-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Try taking Tribulus, it\'s all natural and will help you bulk up fast and speed up your recovery time.

MOBLEYC57
03-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Scared of pain eh? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Time is your only factor my friend. The pain will go away once you hit the gym again. There\'s no such thing as a recovery from it (pain). Muscle recovery requires rest, protein, and vitamins. Takes forever to get in shape....it only takes a week or two to get out of shape. PAIN! Takes the bass out of your voice doesn\'t it? Ouchy! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

proteus
03-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Creatine

**DONOTDELETE**
03-09-2003, 12:09 PM
Tiger Balm. Don\'t spare the Tiger Balm. For me, it\'s absolutely amazing, like a miracle, to take the soreness out of muscles. I say hot shower, then Tiger Balm.

Thanatos
03-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the advice all. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

druid
03-09-2003, 12:15 PM
icy hot and some good stetching. something with some zinc in it, like ZMA. plently of rest.

nonscents
03-10-2003, 07:30 AM
I just ordered some extract of the prickly pear (from the cactus). This stuff is very pricey but reports say it works to speed recovery. The brand I ordered is called Prepair. <a target=\"_blank\" href=http://www.perfectequation.net/index.html>http://www.perfectequation.net/index.html</a>

Watcher
03-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Tribulus and horny goatweed. Gingko is another one worth trying.

Tantalus747
04-02-2003, 06:41 PM
I know this is an old post, but I wanted to say if you\'re taking a double dose of a multi, make sure at least one of them is an iron free version. (The \'silver\' versions are iron free &amp; virtually idential in everything else.)

Too much iron over long periods has been linked to a number of problems. Unless you\'re drinking a half gallon of milk a day (in which case you\'d have to worry about getting too much vitamin D) there\'s no other reason you shouldn\'t double dose.

As for recovery, lots of sleep &amp; protein is really all you can do. Other things just help with the pain. (Creatine\'s great, but doesn\'t help with recovery.)

druid
04-02-2003, 07:07 PM
zinc zinc zinc. the zinc in your multi doesn\'t count if your multi has calcium (most likely it does). calcium interfers with the absorbation of zinc. i suggest you get ZMA. I use the twinlab version (called ZMA fuel) and IMHO it is the best supplement (along with good protein powder) you can have. I have not been as sore since taking it, and I like to train heavy-to moderate.

It doesn\'t cost that much. I bought from vitiam shopee(their online store) and it cost me about 17.50 for a bottle of 90 capsulels (30 day supply). you might be able to find it cheaper.

Tantalus747
04-02-2003, 07:53 PM
\"calcium interfers with the absorbation of zinc.\"

While this is true, people keep saying this as if calium is going to make them zinc deficient, which simply isn\'t true.

Not to say ZMA isn\'t a good supplement. I was taking magnesium and zinc as individual pills long before ZMA was around.

However, if ZMA helped, it\'s because you were dificient (many people are), ZMA doesn\'t add anything if you\'re not.

MOBLEYC57
04-03-2003, 07:19 AM
There\'s nothing really out there for overworked muscles, but time and motrin. Muscle-Link has a product that they CLAIM helps out muscle recovery call RecoverX. Haven\'t tried it yet...still gathering information. Hope this helps. TATER!!!

Thanatos
04-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Aye, been doing a lil research on supplements lately and ZMA is definately something I\'m going to be taking sooner or later. For the moment I\'m trying to find a routine to get into as far as muscle/cardio/diet go and get a somewhat descent foundationin those areas before I start spending money on gym membership and supplements.
As for ZMA goes, it sounds like its best to take that right before bed on an empty stomach, that way your sure to get full absorption and benefit from it.

TBiRD
04-04-2003, 05:21 AM
SAUNA !!!!!!!

Sexyredhead
04-06-2003, 06:58 AM
\"calcium interfers with the absorbation of zinc.\"

So if you\'re taking a daily calcium supplement, would that cancel out any good effects from taking a zinc supp? Or, if you are taking a Ca supp, when\'s the best time to take the Zn supp--to keep from negating the good effects? Right before bed?

**DONOTDELETE**
04-06-2003, 07:52 AM
Take the calcium before bed.

Sexyredhead
04-06-2003, 08:12 AM
I usually take Ca with my multi in the morning. What\'s the difference you get when taking it before bed?

druid
04-06-2003, 12:29 PM
sorry I should have said that taking zinc and cal at the same time is when you get problems with absorbation. Don\'t take your calcium 20 mins before OR after taking your zinc (this is what I have read) I take my ZMA before bed, which is generally an hour after the last time I have consumed anything.

Tantalus747
04-06-2003, 12:45 PM
\"So if you\'re taking a daily calcium supplement, would that cancel out any good effects from taking a zinc supp?\"

It wouldn\'t cancel them all out. It just means your body isn\'t going to get quite as much of the zinc as it otherwise would have. But it will still get some of it.

\"Or, if you are taking a Ca supp, when\'s the best time to take the Zn supp--to keep from negating the good effects? Right before bed?\"

I\'d say just seperate the two by an hour (20 mins isn\'t really enough time for absorption.) Personally, I don\'t take a Ca supplement, but I drink alot of skim milk, often with my zinc supplement. I just break a zinc pill in half &amp; take it at two different times during the day. Even with milk, I get plenty of zinc that way.

phersurf
04-11-2003, 12:55 PM
I use D-ribose. It is kind of expensive, but my recovery time is short (and I\'m in my mid 40\'s). You have to preload for a week like Creatine (it is nothing like creatine, though). It increases your ATP levels which is what cells use for energy.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/supplements-reviews/d-ribose-supplements.htm (\"http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/supplements-reviews/d-ribose-supplements.htm\")

Watcher
04-21-2003, 10:36 PM
What about when youre heartrate is still up 2 days later, i mean still having a high metabolism, how do i slow the heartrate down and get some energy back to go back for another solid workout.

Mtnjim
04-22-2003, 09:04 AM
One of the classic signs of over training.

Tantalus747
04-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Definitely overtraining. Take a solid week off, even more wouldn\'t hurt you.

I don\'t know how badly you\'re overtrained, but severe overtraining can take a long time to recover from. One study showed navy seals with signs of overtraining even 6 months after training was over.

Also, getting enough protein and sleep are very important.

Watcher
04-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Yeah i havent had any protein shakes in the last week, that would be why, actually i got the flu, but im fine now.

Cloud9
04-22-2003, 01:29 PM
L-glutamine, protein shake/or high protein meal/snack within 30minutes after workout, and at bedtime, creatine, and good sleep is best for recovery.