PDA

View Full Version : Wholesale cologne

bjf
02-27-2003, 10:34 AM
i am looking on ebay for a couple of colognes. I have come acorss comepanies that say they have the same exact thign in their bottles, just the bottle is a differnt outside.

here is one: <<<So then you ask, \"Well, how else am I supposed to enjoy my favorite designer cologne/perfume?\" The answer is simple...WHOLESALE! So be smart. The offer stands in front of you. Our company is offering the top 20 men\'s and women\'s designer fragrances at wholesale cost to the public. The only difference is that we box and bottle for wholesale, so you won\'t be getting the real box and bottle. But those aren\'t the things you wear I hope!(Little lesson on the law... You can\'t patent a fragrance because it\'s natural. You can only patent the box, the bottle, and the name. Ever smelled two designer fragrances that smelled exactly the same. Well, that\'s because they probable are. One designer just stuck a different name on it.) Our bottles are 3.3 oz, 12-15% oil (parfum strength), and are practically being given away for a flat 28 measely bucks, plus shipping and handling>>.

There is another that guarantees the same stuff is in there.

I can\'t afford the prices of the real stuff but don\'t want to pay for fake stuff either if it is a different scent. Has anyone had experiences with this? I assume that this is different then \"knock offs\" and that they buy the formula of the cologne to reproduce it, but can\'t use the \"designer name\"

camusflage
02-27-2003, 11:41 AM
That would be a bad assumption.. While many develop scents in house, some contract it out. I would have to assume that if a company is paying beau coup bux to have a scent developed for them, that there\'d be something in there that says they can\'t peddle it around.

EBay\'s a great place to buy colognes. All but the most popular of scents are at least 50% off their regular prices, and who wants to smell like everyone else anyway? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

bjf
02-27-2003, 12:24 PM
you know how long those 1.2 ml bottles last?

CJ01
02-27-2003, 12:34 PM
1.2 ml bottles? Well a bottle like that would last a few days max.

CJ01
02-27-2003, 12:38 PM
If you want some links for fragrances, do a search for an old thread I started called something like `new database for the froum club files´ ...something or other in the archives. We managed to collect loads of links for things like fragrances, atomizers etc.
If you´re in the US check out www.perfumania.com (\"http://www.perfumania.com\") (I think that´s what it´s called)

Whitehall
02-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Avoid.

Just where do they get the formula?

The actual ingredients of top-end colognes and perfumes are a closely guarded secret. The ingredient makers like International Flavors and Fragrances (IFF) work on a highly confidental basis with the leading design houses to synthesize special and unique (at least for a while) chemicals for their clients\' products.

What the \"perfume oil\" vendors try to do is make a mix that will replicate the designer scent to the unsophisticated nose, at least on first application. Dry down will probably vary greatly. There is room for chemical analysis and replication but that cost money too.

The best fragrances (Creed) are made largely from carefully selected natural products like essential oils. These products vary greatly so that, say, a jasmine from France can have a noticably different scent from a jasmine from India. They are much like wines in that regard. They might use some chemicals but they are the minority.

To summarize, a copy of a cheap scent, say Old Spice, will be easier to replicate than a knock-off of a great scent, say Taberome, but the incentives will be lower too.

Go to eBay and chose wisely. Maybe buy a half-used bottle. Quality always wins.

DrSmellThis
02-27-2003, 11:35 PM
It\'s even worse than that. I agree with Whitehall.

For example, top perfumes depend on so many exact things that make a huge difference, such as a flower that was picked at a certain minute in it\'s maturity, aged so many years; ingredients that are must be combined in an exact order and timing, oils from plants that have to come from a certain plot of land only. I\'ve heard of one case where it took hundreds of years to figure out how to add one ingredient and get it to mix. Top perfumes often have 500 different ingredients or so, some of which might be extremely rare or unique, and available only from one place in the world. Any variation from any of this would be obvious to an expert nose. How could you duplicate even 10% of all those variables??? Not a chance.

Just suck it up, and save for the very best perfume in the world for you, regardless of price. It\'s still pennies a day. Try out many. Do not go just for what\'s popular, as perfumes are way too personal and intimate. Picking one is like picking a spouse.

bjf
02-28-2003, 07:02 AM
based on this forum, my choices are aqua di gio, cool water, and angel for men. i am guessing cool water is the least important to have

Phantom
02-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Just got a dilivery of bootleg colognes of Drakkar Noir, Aramis, Musk, Polo Sport, Obsession, Micheal Jordan, Cool Water and Eternity the bootleger is called Jordache Textures.

To test the accuracy of cloning I sprayed 1 spray of Drakkar and 1 Spray of the Copy Drakkar and surprisingly enough they smell exactly the same, im really impressed cause I got them off Ebay and they were only .01 cent each.

cuddlebear
02-28-2003, 12:32 PM
I would be amazed if any bootleg or knock-off was the real deal. I did find Hermes Bel Ami for $46.99 on www.scentguru.com (\"http://www.scentguru.com\") ...

Phantom
02-28-2003, 12:35 PM
Yea I was surprised too but it really smells like the real deal.

bjf
02-28-2003, 03:15 PM
i think the one u tested is easy to replicate