PDA

View Full Version : Question after reading archive thread

Sexyredhead
02-25-2003, 10:10 AM
In one of the old archive threads, Bronzie made a comment about men preferring male scents on women, and many men not noticing the difference. Do any of you guys find this to be true? I realize you would have to notice the difference to know, but you know what I mean.
Any of you ladies find wearing guys\' scents gets more compliments from guys?
Doesn\'t seem quite logical to me, but I prefer woodsy/clean scents on my guys, not feminine scents. Does it not work the other way \'round?

Here\'s the quote from the thread:
\"Oh yeah one point for the female forum members, this is a little secret I was told by a very knowledgeable girl on fragrances, when choosing a fragrance with the intention to attract a guy, choose a male fragrance. Bizarre as it sounds, men are a lot more attracted to men’s fragrances then they are to women’s fragrances. And if a girl wears a mans frangrance, men just cant diffirentiate. Strange as it sounds, but she swore it was a fact. It has something to do with familiarity and the subconscious mind.\"

bjf
02-25-2003, 10:14 AM
yea, the male scents of colognes should be worn by women, i think. the smell turns me on and i don\'t see why women have to smell fruity and flowery and men have to smell musky. that is dumb to me.

Sexyredhead
02-25-2003, 10:23 AM
So, for example, I hear the guys think SoE gel smells feminine, but to me it smells very male. Is it just that a woman\'s chemistry reacts differently, or that men perceive it differently on a woman? Do you think a guy would even recognize a cologne as a men\'s cologne on a woman, or smell it as something else?

cuddlebear
02-25-2003, 10:24 AM
Well, this is just my preference. But I definitely like a woman to smell like one. I like the flowery, white musky, pretty scents on a woman. Just me, but i definitely don\'t want a woman to smell like a man. But it just goes to show that we\'re all different. In fact, this may even explain why a lot of guys wear cops and are successful. You couldn\'t pay me to. FTR says she uses a cream of some sort called \"Touch Me Then Try To Leave\" or something like that? That would probably be the ticket for me ... Cuddles /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

tounge
02-25-2003, 10:35 AM
I recently read in a Fragrance trade journal, that 60% of men\'s fragrances are purchased by women for their own use. How they came to this conclusion, I have no idea. But I\'m not surprised.

Sexyredhead
02-25-2003, 10:38 AM
Maybe they just smell different on women. If 60% are bought by women for themselves (and not for somebody else) then either I must not be bumping into any of them, or they don\'t smell the same.

Phantom
02-25-2003, 10:48 AM
IMO I dislike flowery fragrances on women it\'s a total turn off I usually avoid people that wear them at all costs, there\'s nothing wrong with fruity fragrances tho. Once my girlfriend smelled like strawberry\'s and I just wanted to eat her up.

I prefer a women to wear a fruity, or sexy musky fragrance for women. (but not too strong)

Goddess
02-25-2003, 03:26 PM
This is taking a little liberty with this thread, but wanted to report on today...bear with me, there is a point to this. First time I used AE/w. I used one drop total (spread out) of AE/w on wrists and chest, followed by Angel. Within about four hours, I could smell BO - like sweat at the end of a hot summer day. I asked my guy what he thought of this perfume (he\'s my guinea pig - I\'ve been buying lots of perfumes to find one HE likes - we have different tastes) - his answer was \"hmmmm, not bad - smells kinda like powder - clean\" I asked \"are you SURE you don\'t smell BO?\" \"No - just powder, kinda nice\" GO FIGURE! So I do think men and women smell something different from the same perfume. I remember asking him to choose a perfume for me when I managed to get him shopping with me. He picked something he liked that I would NEVER in a million years have considered wearing...cuz it smelled like him, like a guy. And with the AE/w - Angel, *I* smelled BO - a good smell, but BO mixed with it. FYI, Phantom - I was trying to go for sexy, but I get a better response from him with food smells too (apple, vanilla, strawberry, southern comfort, chocolate, etc.). I have a hard time wearing the stuff he chose cuz of the guy smell. Goddess

Mtnjim
02-25-2003, 03:57 PM
\"So I do think men and women smell something different from the same perfume\"
That would be a reasonable assumption. Remember, women SEE twice as many colors as men. (I know hues, tones, and variations--I was just keeping it simple). So smelling \"differently would be a logical extention.

Phantom
02-25-2003, 03:59 PM
you have any specific article that states that women see twice as many colors as men?

bundyburger
02-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Great observation... Foood smells.

Last weekend some one walked past us group of guys with a real fruity fragrance on. Two of us both perked up and said to each other
\"What the F___ was that!\"
...\"Yeah I smelt that too. Who was it!?\"
\" Don\'t know which way it came from. A few girls walked past in both directions.\"
\"I wasn\'t to eat whoever that was.\"
<laugh>
\"Keep an eye out.\"
\"Mann... I\'m looking around and can\'t figure out wheter it was from that group over there.\" /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

We got the same scent again about five minutes later , but once again couldn\'t figure out where it came from.

The scent was kind of a Fruit Tingle scent... Like a sweet fruit punch type of smell.
I\'ve been in a gruop of guys that have noticed a fragnrace before but never to the point of making a excited discussion like that.
The fruit/edible idea has something too it. FTR said the same sort of thing about \"Le Male\" when she first noticed it too.

Sexyredhead
02-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Maybe that\'s why so many guys like Angel. Look at all the notes in it:
Bergamot, Hedione, Helional, Mandarin, Honey, Dewberry, Peach, Mango, Apricot, Passion Fruit, Tropical Fruits, Sugar Almond, Meringues, Musc Amber, Vanilla, Caramel , Patchouli, Hint of Chocolate.

It\'s pretty much a fruit basket sitting in a sweet shop. lol

Mtnjim
02-25-2003, 04:17 PM
\"you have any specific article that states that women see twice as many colors as men? \"

It\'s something I saw a couple of years ago.

Sexyredhead
02-25-2003, 04:21 PM
I told an ex-boyfriend about it a few years back too, and he didn\'t believe me. I don\'t think it\'s twice as many colors, but that they can distinguish between more colors than men. Then, sure enough, he heard about it a few months later, and thought he would astound me with his newfound knowledge. I\'ll see if I can do a search.

bundyburger
02-25-2003, 04:26 PM
If something smells nice... it ermmmm smells nice. /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif
If it smells edible ... You want it! ...and NOW! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Sexyredhead
02-25-2003, 04:28 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, there\'s a MAN for you. The way to his heart (or locations slightly further south) is through his stomach. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Sexyredhead
02-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Well, a good way to test this might be to wear a popular women\'s fragrance for a week, and count compliments, and then wear a popular men\'s fragrance for a week, and count compliments.
Might have to abscond with a friend\'s Acqua di Gio for \"experimental purposes\". And pour it on my sheets while I\'ve got it here at home.... lol

Too bad none of my local friends wear Angel for men. That\'s one I\'d be tempted to wear anyway. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

MadDoctor
02-25-2003, 08:58 PM
In my household, the situation\'s the opposite. I like the more floral sort of stuff on females, and heavier, wood/spice smells on guys. My wife, on the other hand, likes for me to wear things that I thought were a tad on the sissy side, and hates wearing stuff that\'s too \"foofy\" -- she\'d rather wear some of my Curve than anything too much towards the sweet & flowery. So, despite my initial gut reaction, we wear fairly androgynous stuff.

A lot of the scents out there are very similar for both sexes anyway, though... do you think you can *always* tell Cool Water for men from the women\'s version? I doubt that I could.

Watcher
02-26-2003, 01:23 AM
Could have been PCC lol that would have that effect.

Sexyredhead
02-26-2003, 04:32 AM
That\'s true. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Imagine being caught by someone else wearing -mones and you didn\'t even know it! lol

BassMan
02-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Here is an article about females preferring traditionally male scents:

<a target=\"_blank\" href=http://www.haarmann-reimer.com/webzine/en/artikel/duft/duftangleichung/duftangleichung1.html>http://www.haarmann-reimer.com/webzine/en/artikel/duft/duftangleichung/duftangleichung1.html</a>

-Bass

Sexyredhead
02-26-2003, 02:33 PM
Interesting article. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif