PDA

View Full Version : On average, men think about sex every seven second

bivonic
02-23-2003, 03:41 PM
Just wanted to dispel a nasty little myth:
On average, men think about sex every seven seconds.
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/thinksex.htm (\"http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/thinksex.htm\")
Origins: We\'ve no idea how long this \"everybody knows\" misconception has been around, but we\'ve certainly been hearing it ourselves since we were kids, and that was decades upon decades ago.

Depending on which version you\'ve encountered, the amount of time between naughty male thoughts will be stated differently, with \"every three minutes,\" \"every eight seconds,\" and \"every fifteen seconds\" giving \"every seven seconds\" a run for its money as the top finisher in this category. The number itself doesn\'t matter; it\'s the aura of authority with which the claim is invariably stated, as if this were an undisputed fact backed by scientific research.

Though steamy-minded men might be a nice thought to hold onto (also to come home to, but I digress), the theory doesn\'t hold up. According to the Kinsey Institute\'s FAQ, \"54% of men think about sex every day or several times a day, 43% a few times per month or a few times per week, and 4% less than once a month.\" Though no one can swear to how often a particular thought flashes through any one guy\'s head, it\'s pretty clear from the Kinsey statement that the majority of the gender is not being overcome with naughty imaginings every seven seconds, as slightly less than half of them don\'t think about sex even as much as once a day.

Even if Kinsey was not accurate in this regard, those who assert the \"seven seconds\" claim came from the Kinsey Report are clearly mistaken. That connection is not hard to understand, because the Kinsey Report (more properly, Sexual Behavior in the Human Male, first published in 1948, and Sexual Behavior in the Human Female, first published in 1953) is considered the bible of sex research. A sex research statistic of this nature will thus be widely assumed to have come from this source.

Why is this baseless belief as prevalent as it is? Its popularity stems in part from what is widely believed about men: that their behaviors are more sexually motivated than those of women, with this heightened impetus being attributable to how the males of the species are physically wired rather than to matters of conscious choice or societal conditioning. A statistic of this nature works to confirm that assumption by overlaying a patina of faux science onto the \"Men think of nothing but sex, sex, sex!\" caricature that we\'ve become so deeply enamoured of.

So how often do men think about sex? Looks like that is going to have to remain one of life\'s intriguing mysteries unless we take up clipboards and stopwatches to begin following around random men and asking \"Are you thinking about it yet? No? Okay. Are you thinking about it yet?\"

Barbara \"can you leer me now?\" Mikkelson

Last updated: 18 April 2002

Sexyredhead
02-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Honestly, I still think it\'s at least in the \"every 3 minutes\" range. Come to think of it, *I* think about sex every 3 minutes or so, especially when wearing the EW perfume I\'ve been trying. Probably more often that that. Same with SoE. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

How often do you think about sex, Bivonic? Not like you\'re about to do it, but just sex in general?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-23-2003, 04:03 PM
54 percent of men think about sex every day --- and the rest are lying mutha fuckas. I think about it four or five times a day, sometimes only once, but sometimes in the words of the country song, \"once a day, every day, all day long.\" Baloney. Guys wank more often than that.

I call bullsh!t.

bundyburger
02-23-2003, 04:03 PM
I think about sex every day. Several times a day.

That every 7 minutes or seconds or whatever thing is so well known among women that is a major problem to get around sometimes. Every seven seconds is rediculous. I sometimes feel that everything I say is been judged on a \"I want to f__ you \" ground when I talk to some girls.

A guy who thinks about sex every seven seconds doesn\'t have a life.

bivonic
02-23-2003, 04:04 PM
I\'d say everytime I see a women, I evaluate her mentally as do most men I would assume. If there\'s one nice attribute that I see then I\'d assume I\'d have a sexual thought either consciously or subconsciously. It varies by day. Today I\'ve been a complete hermit & did not come across many ladies. So today I probably only thought about it maybe 10-15 times. On a typical day, especially those where I go out to the bars, I\'d say it\'s closer to once every 5 minutes (averaged through out the day), probably peaking at about once every minute over a 2 hour period. And once every 30 seconds or so over a 5-10 minute period. Lastly I would judge myself by saying I think about it much more often then the average male, I\'d be surprised if I thought about it less then the average male.

Sexyredhead
02-23-2003, 04:11 PM
It doesn\'t bother me if a guy thinks about sex a lot. What can get annoying is if a guy thinks of you in only one way. Not always, but it can. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

bivonic
02-23-2003, 04:12 PM
That\'s probably only once or twice a week that I have that frequency like on a Friday or Saturday where I come into a lot of contact with women. And keep in mind when I say \"sexual thought\" it could be as little as seeing a nice rack, ass, or face on a girl & have some sort of sexual stimulation, no matter how minute. In some circumstances I\'ll day dream in a narratized fashion if I see something I especially like, but in most cases it\'s just a quick fleeting thought.

Sexyredhead
02-23-2003, 04:18 PM
The fleeting thought is what I\'m talking about. If somebody dwells on sex every 7 min or so, they need something else to do. I\'d say it\'s impossible NOT to think about sex several times a day, because you do come in contact with attractive people. Even if you\'re home alone, you\'ve got books, tv, internet, and just plain ol\' imagination.

bundyburger
02-23-2003, 04:19 PM
<<What can get annoying is if a guy thinks of you in only one way. Not always, but it can. >>

Babe, Your a SEX machine. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Sexyredhead
02-23-2003, 04:20 PM
But Bundy, it\'s ok when YOU say it. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

bundyburger
02-23-2003, 04:23 PM
<<But Bundy, it\'s ok when YOU say it. >>

It is?! Keeeeewwwl!

Can I get a t-shirt printed with your written consent on it?? /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Sexyredhead
02-23-2003, 04:26 PM
rofl /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Tell ya what. You come over here, and I will personally write my consent on whatever you want me to write it on. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

bundyburger
02-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Can I get that in writing?? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

bundyburger
02-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Bovonic put it pretty well. Peaking at Friday/Sat nights etc. And when talking to someone you are really attracted too. Maybe that\'s the several seconds reference. I won\'t deny it can happen.

a.k.a.
02-23-2003, 04:50 PM
I think age has a lot to do with it. I’d say the three minute “myth” pretty much applied to me between the ages of 13-25. (It’s a wonder I got ANYTHING done.) Right around the time I turned forty it got down to a manageable level.

Unless I find myself in a Salsa club, or when the weather turns and all the girls start showing skin, or even last Sunday when I went to a gospel celebration and all the ladies were in their Sunday best and I’m thinking, “Good God, girl! Does Jesus know you dress like that?”

But, yeah... It’s pretty manageable now that I’m in my forties. More or less.

Elana
02-23-2003, 05:32 PM
When I have someone on my mind, I think about sex nonstop. Literally...non stop. I could bet that I have sex on my mind more than the average man.

bivonic
02-23-2003, 05:34 PM
I\'d agree you probably do, but not more then me, I think about sex more then the average Elana /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif

Elana
02-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Don\'t be too sure. I am not joking, bragging or exaggerating. I am being very serious. To a point where I am convinced I am wired wrong.

Goddess
02-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Well, hell!

I was kinda hoping you guys DID...*I* think about sex nearly ALL DAY LONG! Seems like lately, everything I do, say or see, I can somehow attach a sexual conotation to it. And do. And this is where the problem comes in...my guy is getting older (40) and more important things are on his mind - like work, bills, sports, etc. But I agree with you Biv - I wish I\'d never heard that \"myth\" cuz then I had to start asking \"Honey do you think about me every X amount of times in an hour?\" and when the answer was NO, I was crushed. And felt like I had lost my sex appeal. And there\'s nothing worse than a woman who thinks she\'s inferior in some way. Makes life hard on her and her man! But seems like since I heard that myth I think about sex more - and wondering what I can do to get the \"old man\" interested more. Ha Goddess

bivonic
02-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Elana got any sisters? I\'m willing to bank it\'s hereditary & would be willing to sacrifice myself in the name of science (assuming the circumstances were amicable).

Gerund
02-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Now I\'m getting preoccupied thinking about how Elana thinks about sex all the time~ lol Does that mean I\'m also thinking about sex all the time? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Elana
02-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Honestly....it is hereditary. It would make sense. I do have a sister and I have mentioned to a few people here through PM\'s that she is the only person I have ever met that is as dirty minded as I am.

Elana
02-23-2003, 05:51 PM
I know all about you, Nasty boy. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif My girl gives me the dirt. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Sexyredhead
02-23-2003, 06:46 PM
<Can I get that in writing??>

I think you already did. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif If you want it more personalized, I think we might be able to arrange something....

bivonic
02-23-2003, 06:56 PM
<<Honestly....it is hereditary. It would make sense. I do have a sister and I have mentioned to a few people here through PM\'s that she is the only person I have ever met that is as dirty minded as I am.>>

Yeah, I buy that. I was a little hesitant to say this, but my sister once asked me if I had a high libido, when I told her how high - she was like, \"damn, it must be hereditary.\"

BTW - I\'m the youngest of 5 (plus my mom had a miscarriage between me & my closest sis), then after I was born my dad had to get it snipped (I was a surprise child) as they are catholic & did not believe in birth control. So I guess based on that info the libido was definitely there between the two of them. I think I got super sperm in my genes too, probably unrelated, cause all of my siblings have multiple kids, they never seemed to have any trouble getting pregnant or getting their wife pregnant, any correlation between high libido & fertility - think that\'s what you call being able to procreate easily?

bundyburger
02-23-2003, 07:02 PM
I call it ..\"genetically superior\" /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-23-2003, 07:22 PM
There are those who sit and ponder, and then there are those who get up and do.

Just an observation.

bundyburger
02-23-2003, 07:52 PM
<<There are those who sit and ponder, and then there are those who get up and do. >>

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

bivonic
02-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Elana baby, I wrote you a song in honor of this thread...

http://www.scs.ryerson.ca/b3lau/bang.htm (\"http://www.scs.ryerson.ca/b3lau/bang.htm\")

Blackwidow_Woman
02-23-2003, 09:19 PM
oh man LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is so funny i cant stop laughing.. thats way to funny,, BANG BANG BANG,, Elana, girl you just got it!!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seadove
02-24-2003, 02:25 AM
I think about sex whenever the wind blows from south to east.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Elana
02-24-2003, 11:28 AM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif I know that Ivan

The Bang Bang song Rocks! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-24-2003, 12:32 PM
Does he have a fan in his room, is that it? /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Elana
02-24-2003, 12:41 PM
No...I have a fan in London /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Smart girl.

proteus
02-24-2003, 06:19 PM
On my way to Penn Station on the NYC subway after a very exhausting day at work and tired as hell, then I saw the most amazing, purrrfect legs and thighs in front of me - stunning lady indeed!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif and I was re-energized instantly /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif