PDA

View Full Version : Effective range in humans of the VNO

bivonic
02-21-2003, 10:39 AM
I thought I read somewhere 20cm, does that sound accurate? How many inches is that like 7 inches? Certainly with OD amounts that can increase up to like 8-10 feet, but in regular applications in much smaller quantities does this seem consistant? Any links to back it up would be appreciated, but not necessary.

Whitehall
02-21-2003, 11:19 AM
You can smell a men\'s prison for miles downwind. Try California\'s Soledad on Hwy 101 or San Quentin coming in on the ferry boat off San Francisco Bay.

Briela
02-21-2003, 06:05 PM
I haven\'t been able to find any articles in peer reviewed journals regarding effective distance/detection limits of human pheromones. Slugs, yes...humans,no. The only research I\'ve come across that relates to limit of detection has to do with pheromone molecule binding values and numbers of molecules required for basal detection (it seems to be ~50 molecules).

Alot of the research going on now is really aimed at proving that humans do have a functional VNO. These experiments usually involve streams of air containing low pheromone levels being passed directly under the noses of test subjects, so that\'s no help.

If you can remember where you may have seen that article, I\'d be interested in it.

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

DrSmellThis
02-22-2003, 03:50 AM
Stop it Whitehall. You\'re turning us on.

Whitehall
02-22-2003, 07:55 PM
I\'ll have to try this at a women\'s prison too.

Downwind of a men\'s prison, I get aggressive - \"get my hackles up.\"