PDA

View Full Version : Doctors... sheesh!

Bruce
02-07-2003, 01:01 PM
A couple weeks ago, my wife missed her period so I reccomended she go see a OB/gyn doctor, see if we are going to have a new set of pitter pattering feet around the house, get a check up etc. OK, fine. We just got the bill. Lab fees and doctor bill for *one* visit came to almost exactly $1,000.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot the best part. He forgot to test to see if she was pregnant, and we still don\'t have any interpretation of all the jillion blood tests and I suppose that will cost us another couple hundred.

In Japan it cost us about $3000. to have a baby total, and the government *gives you the money back* after the baby is born!

Anyway, \"apple a day keeps the doctor away\". Could have bought a lot of apples with that $1,000.

OK, since I\'m griping about the doctors over here; I should say we have a great electric company (EWEB). The paid for a solar water heater for our house. Really nice folks too.

Welcome home,
Bruce

Whitehall
02-07-2003, 03:21 PM
In Eugene, just about every thing is electrified, even those things like hot water for which electricity is not appropriate. Hot water is the best and highest use of solar power and one which we should encourage in most locations. While it will be you and the other rate payers who will foot the bill for the hardware, the utility will save as much or more on the electricity NOT used.

Just hope the sun shines enough there so that your solar water heater works for you and your family.

Bruce
02-07-2003, 04:01 PM
Electricity is pretty cheap here, but I couldn\'t pass by this deal. It is literally like getting $4,000. worth of equipment for nothing.
1. EWEB (local electric company) finances it *interest free* for 5 years!
2. EWEB gives you $500. towards the system flat out, so you are down to $3500.
3. Oregon State gives you a $1500. rebate on your state income tax (which is nasty by the way). That is just like money in the pocket on April 15th. Right?
4. You pay off the loan at $58./month on your utility bill, alongside the electric bill which is now an average of $30./month *less* because of the solar heater, leaving about $28./month more than you used to pay, but you have the $1500. from the State, which if you used it to pay that extra 28 bucks would last you 53 months, which is about when the whole system is completely paid off!

So there is actually *no cost* to owning the system at all... AND after the first 5 years go by you are still saving $30./month on your electric bill and the system is expected to last a total of 20 years!!!

And hey... that is up here in Oregon where we don\'t get so much sun and electricity is dirt cheap. Just think how much $ you would save with one of these things in LA.

Not only that but the guys who installed the solar heater, put in a new regular water heater (you need a back up for rainy days) for FREE! And I bought *it* at Jerry\'s on sale for $179. and got another $50 rebate from EWEB since it was a new low-e model.

Gotta love EWEB!

Oh and by the way, I just talked to the doctor about the lab bill. He promised my wife it was only going to cost $265. for tests that cost us $800. so he promised to eat the difference! I guess you can beat city hall sometimes.

Bruce

Whitehall
02-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Electricity is pretty cheap for the customer because the Federal government built all the Columbia River dams for you - you can thank me later.

One thing that makes a solar hot water heater a good deal for you is that the excess in EWEB\'s allotment of Federal power can be sold on the open market to California at a free market price which is much higher. Of course, if EWEB is using MORE than their municipal preference allotment, then they have to BUY on the open market. Their marginal cost of power is very pricey.

The state tax rebate on those \"nasty\" state income taxes has to be paid by someone. Of course, by conserving electricity, the aluminum plants can stay in business and continue to pay state taxes.

Good luck on your solar system lasting 20 years.

I do think you as an individual made the right choice although I\'m skeptical of all the government policies involved but that\'s a political discussion.

Good idea to call you doctor on the test delta $\'s. Sounds like a stand up guy.