PDA

View Full Version : Why Older Men Are Attractive/Discovery Magazine

**DONOTDELETE**
02-02-2003, 12:30 PM
March Discover Magazine, \"What\'s So Great About Older Men?\"Theory of Stephen Proulx, a zoologist at the University of Toronto.\"It\'s not just about money, but it\'s not just about genes either. ... age-divergent coupling is rooted in appearance. Nearly every animal uses some form of signaling display, such as a peacock\'s plumage or a buck\'s antler battles. Such displays cost the animal a lot of energy, and become increasingly hard to maintain with age, so a good display by an elderly male is a more reliable indicator of genetic quality than a comparable show by a younger, stronger one. In human terms, an older man flaunting a new Porsche is more persuasive to a potential mate than a younger man making a similar display. The show of wealth tends to reflect the fitness over time of the older man; from a young upstart, it might mean he has traded long-term for short-term success. \"It loosely translates to a young guy not blowing his college savings on a sports car, while a 65-year-old figures, \"What the hell,\" Proulx says. \"I call it the \'Revenge of the Nerds\' effect.\"(Sorry, it\'s Discover magazine, not Discovery)

**DONOTDELETE**
02-02-2003, 04:26 PM
It´s good to be a nerd!

<font color=red> Satan </font color=red>/ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

<font color=green> \"Dirty old man in training\" </font color=green>

jvkohl
02-02-2003, 09:08 PM
I\'ve seen other theories on age-related coupling that also fail to include the most important signals: pheromones. If the visual perspective were most important, it seems obvious that young women would always choose men who visually displayed wealth, leading to young women consistently choosing men who are 20-30 years older (since it generally takes that long for most men to acheive financial security.) Male reproductive fitness is directly linked to testosterone levels and testosterone levels are linked to pheromone production. This explains the typical age-related coupling. Younger women prefer men near their own age (perhaps a few years older). Most men, on the other hand, prefer women 17-24 years old. For example, a 15 year old will prefer 17-24, a 30 year old will prefer 17-24 and even a 60 year old will prefer 17-24. From 17-24 women are most fertile, and thus are producing the most attractive pheromones. For anyone who still thinks visual is more important than olfactory input, read my book--or for the more technically adept, my Neuroendocrinology Letters review article.

bjf
02-02-2003, 09:26 PM
True, maybe women\'s phermone\'s are best at 17-24 but that is because their is a corelation between hormones and phermones and hormones and physical looks.

Now you say that if visual was most important, that, for women they would pursue men that looked the wealthiest. I disagree with that assumption. This is just my guess based on not a ton, but $ is related to the sense of security and being taken care.

I think in the end, even if security is women\'s priority, choosing a partner that you can not relate with defeats that purpose because women see rapport as an indication of compatibility. Compatibility is an important ingridient in a long term relationship, and thus sercurity.

Men don\'t care about security, because we are not having the baby and do not have to worry about a mother running off as much, so we just look at physical appearance (i.e. hips) and ability for child rearing.

Visually, I have heard that women of all ages prefer the looks of a man at around 21. I have heard that for men\'s preference of women it is like 18. I personally like older than that and I am not really sure if those numbers are right, but they are the ones i have heard on several occaisions.

But, looks and our visual senses viewing a person give us hints on their health - i.e. good DNA, ability to reproduce (more relating to women) and ability to protect (more relating to men).

I don\'t think that our visual senses are used to pick up on anything outside a partner\'s physical appearance. That is why i say maybe visual is more important than olfactory input. But I assume u have done research, and i have not.

But in the end, for men it is ability to reproduce child, women security that is the underlying values in attraction developed from evolution. Those goals are found through balancing act with pheromones, looks, personality, etc all taken into account, not just ass and $ because though those may be the best individual indications of those goals, they are not the best indication (a combo of everything is)

Gerund
02-02-2003, 10:55 PM
That does it, I\'m tossing out my Grecian Formula! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 05:58 AM
Polish up your Porsche. I could help you with that, if you want. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Whitehall
02-03-2003, 08:22 AM
When I was a young man my Porsches did definitely aided me in getting laid - repeatedly.

Now that I\'m middle aged, I don\'t see that happening with my VW Cabrio - in spite of my bumper sticker that says \"It takes a REAL MAN to drive a chicks\' car.\"

Still, I can see the guy\'s point. However, at some point, women realize that the man is so old that he is not likely to be around and providing for any children he may make with her.

It must be a tough job as a woman, trying to figure out who to sleep with and who not to - the scientists can\'t even decide!

Blackwidow_Woman
02-03-2003, 09:23 AM
Ive been with few older men and never had a prob with it,, wasnt never worried about there money looks or what they have.. as thats not what gets me off or makes me happy, the way they treated me and was very compassionate and loving.. I could care less about what men have in there pockets or at home as its the way a man shows you how he feels and the way he treats you and respects you..some older men just have more heart into it then younger ones and they understand women better than younger ones.. I have no probs with the older man... /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Gota love um as some of them are damn good lovers!!!!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 09:41 AM
Yes. I\'ve always been happier with older men. 47-48 is a great age for a man, IMO. I\'ve thought so since I was in my twenties. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif I couldn\'t care less what kind of car they drive, as long as it runs. I\'ve dated guys with Corvettes and Porsches and BMWs and trucks and old Fords and that stuff just doesn\'t impress me one way or another, nice car, not so great car, who cares. I don\'t. Ditto with their stuff. I\'m happy for them if they have nice stuff but it sure doesn\'t make or break anything. It\'s beside the point.

Wolfe
02-03-2003, 04:10 PM
warms a ol mans heart /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif