PDA

View Full Version : Music...

CptKipling
02-02-2003, 11:36 AM
What is everyone\'s favourite band or performer?

Wolfe
02-02-2003, 11:49 AM
Pink Floyd-band
Jimi Hendrix-single performer

**DONOTDELETE**
02-02-2003, 12:23 PM
Radiohead

Vladimir Ashkenazy

seadove
02-03-2003, 12:47 AM
Simon & Garfunkel

Pink Floyd

Leonard Cohen

Queen

John Lennon

Myself in the shower/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

bundyburger
02-03-2003, 02:47 AM
So hard to choose one. As I get older I get more \"Most Favorite\"s: /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Dire Straits - Pearl Jam - Radio Head - Chilli Peppers - Foo Fighters - Tool

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Neil Finn - Jeff Buckley - Jimi Hendrix - Avril Lavigne - Heather Nova

DOH! /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

MOBLEYC57
02-03-2003, 07:16 AM
Sade...(ALL)
Gary Taylor...\"Mood of Midnight\" & \"Love Dance\"

Elana
02-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Queen
David Bowie
Led Zep
Pink Floyd
AC/DC
Beatles

Xehupatl
02-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Radiohead
Nine Inch Nails
Movie Soundtracks

seadove
02-03-2003, 08:18 AM
I forgot

King Crimson (21st century schitzoid man)

Elvis

Cliff

Robert Zimmerman

Does any body know who Zimmerman is?
Ice cream for the first one who knows.
/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Elana
02-03-2003, 08:20 AM
<<Robert Zimmerman>>

Classical music?

seadove
02-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Elana you don\'t know who Robert Zimmerman is?

Bob Dylen. Mr Tambourine Man.

Bruce
02-03-2003, 08:41 AM
I am having a music mid-life crisis or something. I can\'t find any music I get off on and it is terrible. I grew up in a very musical family. My dad had ancient Spike Jones records and all kinds of cool stuff; I went thru my Jr High years listening to the Beatles. Then on to Hendrix, Zeplin, Cream etc. Got very into European traditional music and became a professional musician myself. Went to Berklee College of Music and studied Jazz. Got into a lot of fusion players: John Mcglaughlin, Jean Luc Ponty etc. After I got married and had kids we started listening to New Age (Andreas Vollenveider, Kitaro...). Now my oldest boy likes Country Western and that is on the radio in the car a lot. My wife loves U2, which I can\'t connect with.

I\'m in crisis. I need music. Even something mellow I could listen to while answering email.

Bruce

seadove
02-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Bruce , I have different music for different occasions.
When I chase a girl I prefer Simon & Garfunkel.
When I\'m depressed I listen to Leonard Cohen.
Etc

Blackwidow_Woman
02-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Ok,,
Radiohead, Korn, creed, nine inch nails, Filter, incubus, usher, journey, Lenny Kravitz i just love him,,hehehe!! and the best for F#&king to,,Enigma theres something about the beat to that..wooohoooo, i could go for few days to that music.. hehehehe!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

CptKipling
02-03-2003, 09:36 AM
Wow!

I was begging to think there weren\'t any real music lovers here, obviously wrong.

I can\'t claim to relate (or even to have heard of) a lot of those.

Personally:

-Radiohead
-Supergrass
-FooFighters (Everlong... please tell me you know it!)
-Greenday (Basket case)
-Feeder
-Ash (Girl From Mars)
-Incubus (current fav., cant get enough of the \"Make Yourself\" album!)
-Oasis

And some curious cross genre ones:
-Robbie Williams
-Erm...ok so that dried up.

APPEAL: FIND BRUCE SOME MUSIC!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 09:47 AM
If he doesn\'t like Radiohead, I don\'t know what to do with him.

bivonic
02-03-2003, 09:53 AM
1. The Doors
2. Sublime
3. Led Zep
4. Phish
5. AC/DC

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Creed, turned up really loud.

Emmylou Harris, especially \"Red Dirt Girl\"

Dire Straights

bundyburger
02-03-2003, 04:43 PM
I read what everyone else likes and say to myself \"Oh Yeah! Them too!\"

mmmm.... Supergrass

There are sooooo many good artists around. Back years ago my absolute favourite was Dire Straits for YEARS. But now I just like so much variety. Went through a stage like what Bruce describes too. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif But a bit of a rest from listening to anything helped heaps. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Elvis , The Beatles, the blues, classic, just about everything \'cept country music (though not all c.m.) and some Jazz.

Emmylou Harris???? Phish??? Gunna have to check them out!

bivonic
02-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Definitely give Phish a go, they are an acquired taste. It\'s best to see them live if you can, they are ok with studio recordings but they really shine when you see their on stage chemistry - they are great at jamming out & being creative.

seadove
02-03-2003, 09:18 PM
Oh I forgot :

Santana - Black magic woman
Elton John - especially the Lion King album, candle in the rain.
Joe Cocker - Little help with my friends
Tom Johns - Sex Bomb
The Cream - The album Whipped cream
Frank Sinatra - with his daughter
Emmenem (Did I spell that right?)

By the way I sing too, in the showers, my neighbours either shout \"louder, louder\" OR \"shut up\", depends on the song.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 09:32 PM
I lost my virginity to that Santana album. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Those are great picks, Seadove. I love the Dixie Chicks. But I\'ve got a country streak a mile wide. Everybody in my family plays guitar, at least all the men do, and we can all sing, both sides of the family. Country music\'s good for singing, always has a strong melody line and usually has good simple harmonies. I saw a thing on tv with the Dixie Chicks in concert and I\'d have given my right arm to be there. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif I love bluegrass and I love some plain old cryin\' in your beer country, too, and the cross-over stuff, a lot of it. But I like any music that\'s done well. I\'ll crank up hip-hop too when I hit something good on the radio. I love old Motown.

seadove
02-03-2003, 09:59 PM
How about Elvis?

I always crack up when I hear \"Always on my Mind\".

What a waste of talent, to go at the age of 40ish.
/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 10:09 PM
Nothing more objectively beautiful than black leather jacket Elvis, but even though he\'s stunning to my eyes, he doesn\'t flip my switch and his music doesn\'t move me. Weird, huh?

I love Leonard Cohen\'s lyrics, but I\'d pay money NOT to hear him sing. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Always On My Mind - isn\'t that a Willie Nelson song? Now, him, I like. You like Willie Nelson?

seadove
02-03-2003, 10:17 PM
<<<Always On My Mind - isn\'t that a Willie Nelson song? Now, him, I like. You like Willie Nelson? >>>

No, This song was actually written by Elvis himself and he was insinuating his wife, the way he treated her wrong etc.Apparently success reached his head too early in his career, and self distruction was emmenant.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Then The Beatles saved the world.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

I listen to Leonard Cohen when I\'m dipressed only.It helps me kick the blues away.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 10:31 PM
The Fab Four. Waxing nostalgic, but that\'s one experience I wish the kids could have, what it felt like when the Beatles hit the scene. Our age group got the Beatles, first man on the moon, so much good stuff, so many incredible firsts. What\'s your favorite Beatles song?

seadove
02-03-2003, 10:34 PM
<<<What\'s your favorite Beatles song? >>>

The Album- Sgt.Peppers

The song - A day in the life. (At least I know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall) /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

DrSmellThis
02-03-2003, 10:37 PM
I too am a musician. I listen mostly to trad. irish music and classical, though I love the classic jazz and blues artists. I love older pop 60\'s-70\'s, but have heard little in pop music with a few exception since then. Police, Pearl Jam, Chilis, Kravitz, Dead Can Dance and others have been very good, but you can\'t just turn on a radio anymore.

seadove
02-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Ah Police
I forgot about them.

How fabulous, especially the performance of Sting.
/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 10:44 PM
Now, Sting can take me all the way. Not just \"move,\" \"transport\" more like it, i.e., Soul Cages \"Why Should I Cry For You,\" (I could listen to that one song for days on end) \"Shape of My Heart\" (I forget which album), of course \"Fields of Gold.\" I like Kravitz and Pearl Jam too. I like Nirvana. Why does the radio suck out loud these days? I can hardly stand it. Spend more time flipping around to avoid commercials and gab ... what happened to the solid FM stations?Eva Cassidy, Joan Osbourne, Shawn Colvin, Bonny Rait, Patti Griffin, Norah Jones DrST, any specific traditional Irish (band names), and which classical? Do you like that girl, what\'s her name, something like Laura McKenna?

seadove
02-03-2003, 10:49 PM
<<<what happened to the solid FM stations? >>>

Out of date, out of time.

Does any body have the Kazzaa software?and the www?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 10:57 PM
No, what izzit?

Blackwidow_Woman
02-03-2003, 10:58 PM
FTR, Spend more time flipping around to avoid commercials and gab ... what happened to the solid FM stations?
Geez i feel the same way so thats why i have 100s of CDs and my older daughter to tell me when new good ones come out so i dont have to mess with the FM stations and all that when i can just load up the CD player and listen to tunes all day and night without all that bull that goes on when ya wana here one tune,,, I love the oldies from way back and sometimes il listen to that for hours...I didnt pay almost 3,000 for my stereo just to here commercials, or news...

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Mine cost about $300.00 and I thought I was doin\' real good.:) It would just be nice to hear something new every once in awhile and think \"I\'ve GOT to have that, omg, that\'s so good!\" That\'s one reason among many that it\'s good to have young friends.

bundyburger
02-03-2003, 11:05 PM
We have some good \'community\' stations over here that are good for getting decent variety and hearing new songs befor the general public knows about them. One station \'Triple J\' even stays away from Britney Spears and way tooo poppy tunes. Better than the commercial stations which are only really good for their \'drive time\' programs first thing in the morning and after work if you ask me.

seadove
02-03-2003, 11:10 PM
FTR I have to correct myself, Always on my mind was written by James/Carson & Christopher according to Ask Jeeves search engne.Sorry for the wrong info.

About kazzaa go to www.download.com (\"http://www.download.com\") and download kazzaa. This software downloads ANY song you can ever imagne to your PC. supports WIN amp.
But don\'t tell any one, it\'s not so legal in many countries./ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Thanks, I will certainly check that out. Meanwhile you haven\'t said whether or not you like Willie Nelson. ..

bundyburger
02-03-2003, 11:29 PM
Nothing wrong with Willie Nelson. He\'s a legend!

seadove
02-03-2003, 11:29 PM
<<<Willie Nelson. .. >>>

I\'m afraid you got me on this one.
I\'ll look him up and study him soon.

seadove
02-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Bundy

You like Britney Spears?
Doesn\'t she sound commercial like Madona?
Also, do you think that Bob Dylen is also a legend?

DrSmellThis
02-03-2003, 11:36 PM
There\'s so much good trad music, it\'s all about finding a style. I started with the bothy band, but often it\'s whoever is in the room playing.

seadove
02-04-2003, 02:13 AM
Yes FTR

I looked it over on \"Ask Jeeves\" and it seems that Willie Nelson also sang always on my mind.I\'m not sure if he sang it together with Elvis or on his own.see excerpt below :

<<<Always On My Mind
Elvis Presley | Willie Nelson>>>

DrSmellThis
02-04-2003, 03:25 AM
I guess I\'d like to ramble a bit about this, as I never get the chance any more...Most of the bands people are naming are good and I like them too. My appreciation for the Beatles was always there, but has grown over the years. The weird thing is I really don\'t even own anything to play recorded music on these days.

Leonard Cohen is good, for more recent stuff. Being in the NW I am surrounded by alternative bands, but there is nothing truly new that I\'ve heard. I could play it myself, but what\'s the point? Sometimes I think I\'d have better luck with women (not that it\'s bad now) if I knew more currently popular bands. I\'m not sure it\'s a worthy investment. Maybe I\'ve just heard it all. I think any kind of traditional folk (or classical) music is wonderful, as it\'s all deep, musically accomplished, soulful, and unique; having developed in isolated circumstance. Despite all that, peasants have always enjoyed it. Nowadays there is the crossover aspect that makes it exciting, too. I do know that trad folk music has enough subtleties in it to require a lifetime to decipher. So I\'m OK for now playing Irish music.

I\'ve heard so much music, nothing knocks me off my feet any more. So I more appreciate quiet little subtleties and heart. Whatever\'s happening in the moment I appreciate.

I used to be in a punk band, but am not real excited about punk either.

Bruce, I was into the fusion thing too. I could even play sort of like a typical Jean Luc Ponty guitarist, a tad bit like Jeff Beck. But fusion kind of dried up. Mahavishnu was good enough to take it elsewhere. Miles died. King Crimson was always great, and the Discipline/Fripp/Belew period was particularly brilliant. I liked Philip Glass.

In high school I liked Yes, Genesis, ELP, Zeppelin, Gabreil, UK, Floyd, and various underground progressive bands and spinoffs. Steve Hackett (who was brilliant at expressing plaintive emotion) was my biggest influence on guitar (he and Page) through undergraduate college. Some of my own compositions are related to Hackett. After that I remember listening to Olatunji (african drummer). As far as mother f*cker technical guitarists/musicians go, Allan Holdsworth sort of topped them all; and Steve Morse was no slouch. I miss the days when your friends would turn you on to a blowaway new band full of brilliant musicians who would take you on a journey somewhere. Still, some of that fascination can be chalked up to youth and marijuana -- just the literal sound of it all was enough.

seadove
02-04-2003, 03:34 AM
Doc
When you get moody or depressed, what do you listen to?

bundyburger
02-04-2003, 04:01 AM
seadove

<<You like Britney Spears?>>
Her songs are \'listenable\'. I admire the effort she puts into her live shows, that parts amazing. I\'ve even had her songs in my head. But, generally NO I\'m not really into her. She has talent. Just not to the extent of some others. I tend to put her in the same class as the \'Spice Girls\' etc. Maybe a bit further up. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

<<Doesn\'t she sound commercial like Madona?>>
Madonna is a frikken legend /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif. That women has consistently brought out great tunes since day dot. When I say poppy tunes, Madonna is \'Popular\' and yeah commercial, i spose. It doesn\'t change the fact that her songs are great. /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif Maybe Britney will surprise one day. But till then Madonna is waaaaaay ahead of her in my opinion. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<<Also, do you think that Bob Dylen is also a legend?>>
I\'ve never had an opinion on Bob Dylan. Never been interested. But, to be honest, I\'ve never given his music a chance. One day I\'ll sit down and listen to what he has done. Maybe if I was a generation older things would be different there (???). Dunno.

DrSmellThis
02-04-2003, 04:10 AM
usually nothing, unless I go hear folk. I\'m moody now (I\'m missing my ex-girlfriend /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif ), and I can hear the sound of my computer fan spinning.

seadove
02-04-2003, 04:11 AM
They say that Dylon had an influence on the Beatles and others.Don\'t know about Elvis but others are also inspired by Dylon.

CptKipling
02-04-2003, 02:29 PM
Coldplay - (song - bugger i forget but the 4 track on \"parachutes)

Travis

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 02:36 PM
\" I\'m moody now (I\'m missing my ex-girlfriend ), and I can hear the sound of my computer fan spinning. \"

Oh, damn, that\'s bleak.

bundyburger
02-04-2003, 03:48 PM
\"Oh, damn, that\'s bleak.\"

Oh, damn too. Now I\'m AWARE of my computer fan spinning. /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif LOL

Whitehall
02-04-2003, 04:33 PM
That\'s got to be Bob Dylan, as his mama named him.

I was a Beatles/Hendrix/etc fan - the 60\'s did produce some exceptional music but Disco pretty much put that to rest.

Classic is where it\'s at for me now. The richness and depth of classical is so much beyond popular music which is increasingly about sex. That\'s fine but there\'s more to human emotions. Love string quartets especially now. Funny how what was once dinner background music costs $50 a ticket.

One underlooked classical composer, an ancestor of mine, is Stephen Foster. A nice combination of American folk with the quality of German Leider.

One thing about living in San Francisco area is that KFOG is back in close to it\'s original format. KFOG and KSAN were the stations for the Summer of Love and still play some serious current music.

One recent find was an album called \"Rasa: Union\" - a takeoff on East Indian music by a Western couple - great bonking music in the spirit of the Kama Sutra.

Blackwidow_Woman
02-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Coldplay, now theres a song by them called (In My Place) something about that song really gets to me... /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 07:41 PM
I love Coldplay, too.

Watcher
02-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Coldplay mmm there music is ok.

Sexyredhead
02-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Hmm.., faves I have yet to get tired of and generally go where I go:

3 doors down

Metallica

Chilli Peppers

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (love their covers)

Ludacris

Big Head Todd and the Monsters

Cowboy Mouth

Better Than Ezra

Counting Crows

Crystal Method

Smashing Pumpkins

Eminem

still love the Pulp Fiction soundtrack

Train

Pam Tillis

Sinatra

Gary Allan

Love the new Missy Elliot cd too. Just wish she didn\'t talk on just about every track. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

seadove
02-04-2003, 09:27 PM
Did some research for me about Willie Nelson, and inspired by FTR :

FULL NAME: Willie Hugh Nelson
BIRHTDATE: April 30, 1933
BIRTHPLACE: Abbot, Texas
PARENTS: Ira & Myrle Nelson
SIBLINGS: Bobbie Lee (sister)
RAISED BY: Ira’s Parents
MUSICAL INFLUENCES: Willie and Bobbie learned music through mail-order courses taught to them by their grand-parents. \"Daddy\" Nelson bought Willie a Stella guitar when he was 6 years old. The family was deeply involved with the church and gospel music. Willie was obsessed with the radio, listening to the Grand Ole Opry, New Orleans jazz, Big Band singers, black blues from the South, and Western Swing- especially Bob Wills.
RESIDENCE: Texas
SPOUSE: Ann Marie D’Angelo
CHILDREN: Lana (born 1953)
Susie (born 1956)
Paula (born 1969)
Amy (born 1973)
Lukas (born 1989)
Jacob (born 1990)
FIRST PERFORMANCE: Age 5. He recited a poem he had written, at a church picnic.
FIRST GROUP: John Raycjeck’s Bohemian Polka Band, when Willie was 10 years old.
EARLY EMPLOYMENT: Mainly as a disc jockey, but also selling encyclopedia and other door-to-door items.
FIRST RECORDING: \"No Place For Me,\" self financed and sold to his radio listeners in Vancouver, WA in 1956.
EARLY SONGWRITING: In the late 50’s Willie returned to Texas, this time to Houston, where he worked as a disc jockey and performed at the Esquire Club. Here he wrote some of his most memorable work, including \"Night Life\" and \"Family Bible.\" Because of his financial situation, he sold both songs for $200.
MOVE TO NASHVILLE: In 1960, when Willie was hanging out at Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge with other songwriters such as Hank Cochran, Mel Tillis, Roger Miller and Kris Kristofferson.
FIRST SUCCESS: Patsy Cline recorded Willie’s \"Crazy\" in August, 1961. Faron Young followed with \"Hello Walls.\" Both songs reached number one.
FIRST SINGING SUCCESS: \"Willingly\" and \"Touch Me.\" Both were duets with second wife Shirley Collie, and both reached the Top 10 in 1962.
OPRY DEBUT: November 28, 1964.
LEFT NASHVILLE: December 23, 1970, Willie’s house in Ridgetop, TN, burned down. He had just written a song called \"What Can They Do To Me Now.\" After the fire, Willie, family and band returned to Texas.
BREAKTHROUGH ALBUM: Shotgun Willie, in 1973, for Atlantic Records.
MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH: The 1975 album, Red Headed Stranger, with the runaway hit \"Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain,\" that helped establish Willie as one of the top artists in country music. A concept album, the simple instrumentation and spare production ran against Nashville’s thinking at the time.

Sexyredhead
02-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Sting--very good. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Loreena McKennit\'s her name. Very good--everything she does. Makes me either want to dance or sit inside by a fire and watch snow falling outside. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Norah Jones is good too, and so is the new Dishwalla cd--Opaline. You might try Good Charlotte too, if you like a bit of a punk twist on things.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks! Sexyredhead. That many cd\'s will bust the bank for the next six months. If you could pick two for me to buy, which two would you pick?

seadove
02-04-2003, 09:42 PM
I forgot Chubby Checker.

Who remembers Chubby Checker?

Come on baby
Let\'s do the twist

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 09:47 PM
Oh, god, Ivan, we\'re old. lol The twist was the first dance I ever learned. What about you, what\'s the first dance you ever learned? Did you ever do the mashed potato?

Sexyredhead
02-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Oooh, there\'s a tough question. What\'s your preference at the moment? Me, I\'m a burner--get two or three cd\'s a week. Otherwise I would have no money for food! lol I like music better than tv, and I can get more done that way. I also like to take all my favorites from several of a band\'s cd\'s and put them all on one--like Big Head Todd or Me First.
If you haven\'t gotten them though, I\'d recommend the Chili Peppers\' \"By The Way\" and \"Closer\" by Better Than Ezra. Those I can play anywhere.

Ooh, another all-time fave: Super Sexy Swingin\' Sounds by White Zombie. Puts me in a trance.

Do you have Loreena McKennit\'s \"A Book of Days\"? That\'s my favorite by her. I think that\'s the name of it.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 09:58 PM
No, I think maybe I\'ll get that.

seadove
02-04-2003, 10:02 PM
I have a terrible weakness for oldies BUT goldies.I twisted and mashed the potatoes so much, I used to go out dancing 60s 76s 80s style wednesday nights.I was known as the guy who sings out of tune.
But now I\'m better (hee hee hee)

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 10:14 PM
My babysitter taught me the mashed potato when I was four and we used to dance to The Monster Mash. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

If I could reach my walker, I\'d get up and show you.

seadove
02-04-2003, 10:32 PM
How about exotic music?
Eastern, Turkish, Indian sitar.The late George Harrison had a crave for sitar music.

I like to listen to sitar music in the dark.

bundyburger
02-04-2003, 10:50 PM
\"If I could reach my walker, I\'d get up and show you.\"

ROTFL. For no reason, other than have a mouth full of coke, that was funny. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Unfortunately, also messy. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

seadove
02-04-2003, 10:59 PM
Hi Bundy

Sitar music?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 11:06 PM

bundyburger
02-04-2003, 11:11 PM
<<Sitar music? >>
I like the sound of the sitar. Why? can you name some?? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Turkish music, that could be good.

I heard some quasi-salsa music on the radio driving home. Sometimes I really like Spanish music of any kind, because it\'s so passionate and our culture is SO dry and analytical to me sometimes. The lyric was something about \"you\'re a butterfly and I\'m never going back to you, I\'m a mouse in your mousetrap, dying while living, made a prisoner by your love.\" All of which would be considered a little excessive probably in any kind of English but pretty routine for Spanish. I love flamenco.

seadove
02-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Bundy :

Sitar music of Ravi Shankar is most reccomended.He\'s George Harrison\'s motivator.

FTR :

<<<you\'re a butterfly and I\'m never going back to you, I\'m a mouse in your mousetrap, dying while living, made a prisoner by your love.\">>>

That\'s good lyric, I love the combination of death and love in songs.It shows genuineness and sincererity(unless the poet is a pathetic lier, hee hee)

/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

bundyburger
02-04-2003, 11:35 PM
Playing \"pretend\" spanish, flamenco etc on an acoustic guitar can be great stress releif. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif Playing really fast and some times hitting great chords by mistake, which miraculously sound just right. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

What\'s turkish music sound like?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Yes, I do, too. Don\'t you think that kind of thing would be considered \"over the top\" or too dramatic in a song in English? To me, Spanish is much better for love songs or songs about love. Closer to the truth, more passionate.

Did you know that Ravi Shankar is Nora Jones\' daddy?

seadove
02-04-2003, 11:57 PM
<<<Did you know that Ravi Shankar is Nora Jones\' daddy? >>>

Really? I didn\'t know.

Regarding love songs I myself write stuff.Ask AROUND
/ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif

seadove
02-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Bundy :

Turkish songs sound like this :

TASHAKURRRR ANA BACHIBAC YA MUSTAFA !!

(hee hee hee)

/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

tallmacky
02-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Sevendust
Disturbed
2pac
Hall and Oats
Duran Duran
Backstreet Boys
Heart
Depeche Mode
Kylie Minogue
Maxwell
Bone Thugs
Bobby Brown
Michael Bolton
Hoobastank
Incubus
Linkin Park
Bob Marley
Usher
Def Lepard
Seal
Boyz 2 Men
Michael Jackson

All great music whether or not mtv likes it or not hahahah

Watcher
02-07-2003, 12:25 AM
U guys will just have to watch the micheal jackson special it was interesting, (showed in australia few days back - should be on in america soon enough)

Wacko Jacko is a fair enough term for this nut case.

seadove
02-07-2003, 01:18 AM
Any one been to Woodstock?

Or at least see the Movie?

Back home, when we talk about music, we landmark the subject as \"pre Woodstock\" or \"After Woodstock\"

tallmacky
02-07-2003, 01:30 AM
crap I missed that special heard it was real good too.

seadove
02-07-2003, 01:47 AM
Buy the CD.(dvd movie and the songs)

This is worth every penny.

Wolfe
02-07-2003, 06:37 AM
\"Any one been to Woodstock? \"

ya realize to admit that you\'re admitting to OLD age?? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
heh.not sure i\'d admit to that, though i think somewhere i admitted to seeing Jimi Hendrix in concert once already /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif..lol

Sexyredhead
02-07-2003, 08:20 AM
Not *necessarily* true. They brought it back for a few years until about 2 years ago when the crowds were so bad. So he could technically be 20-ish. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Mtnjim
02-07-2003, 09:51 AM
\"They brought it back for a few years ...\"

No, they ran a commercial enterprise with the same name.
Unfortunately, I missed it-was invited to go but couldn\'t. Then again, I\'m an old fart.

Blackwidow_Woman
02-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Hey we are not old bags and you are not old farts.. we are just aging gracefully and beautifully... and besides some of us old timers are better at things than the young stuff.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif wait a min did i just say old ...EEEEEEEEEEE.. nope not me , not me..hehehehehe!!!! we never get old just more wiser.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

seadove
02-08-2003, 01:16 AM
I forgot The Rolling Stones !!!

I CAN\'T GET NO

SA-TIS-FAC-TION

I CAN\'T GET NO

GIR-LY AC-TION

seadove
02-12-2003, 12:19 AM
What about the PET SHOP BOYS?

especially their version of \"Always on my mind\".

/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

bundyburger
02-14-2003, 01:04 AM
Why hasn\'t anyone mentioned The Eagles???

Pet Shop Boys. They had a couple of good songs. That \"Go West\" song gave me the sh!ts though.

Has anyone listened much the new Pearl Jam album? I can\'t get the songs out my head, enjoying it a LOT more than the last couple of albums they released (I liked them too.) . /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

seadove
02-14-2003, 01:25 AM
>>>That \"Go West\" song gave me the sh!ts though. >>>

Is that good or bad? I kinda liked that song actually.

I\'m into oldies in a deep way and I respect quality.

How about Bill Haley with his \"Rock around the clock\"?

And Creedance Clearwater Revival with \"Bad moon rising\"

Hee hee

bundyburger
02-14-2003, 05:09 AM
Hendrix.... Hail the great one. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif Nuthing wrong with him.

Seadove,

Credence, yep! ...a pity that guy was ripped off.
Bill Haley. That\'s a legendary song,but our music teacher used to play him all the time back in 7th or 8th grade. Got soooo sic of the song. I don\'t mind hearing it every now and then though.
\"Always On My Mind\", I like the PSBs version too. I prefer the U2 version of \"Where the Streets Have No Name\" though.

seadove
02-18-2003, 02:18 AM
This queen song is in memory of Freddy Mercury.
\"The Show Must Go On\" by Queen at their best. Sadly, this would turn out to be Queen\'s last release before Freddie Mercury\'s death

Empty spaces - what are we living for
Abandoned places - I guess we know the score
On and on, does anybody know what we are looking for...
Another hero, another mindless crime
Behind the curtain, in the pantomime
Hold the line, does anybody want to take it anymore
The show must go on
The show must go on, yeah
Inside my heart is breaking
My make-up may be flaking
But my smile still stays on

Whatever happens, I\'ll leave it all to chance
Another heartache, another failed romance
On and on, does anybody know what we are living for ?
I guess I\'m learning (I\'m learning learning learning)
I must be warmer now
I\'ll soon be turning (turning turning turning)
Round the corner now
Outside the dawn is breaking
But inside in the dark I\'m aching to be free
The show must go on
The show must go on, yeah yeah
Ooh, inside my heart is breaking
My make-up may be flaking
But my smile still stays on

Yeah yeah, whoa wo oh oh

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die
I can fly - my friends
The show must go on (go on, go on, go on) yeah yeah
The show must go on (go on, go on, go on)
I\'ll face it with a grin
I\'m never giving in
On - with the show

Ooh, I\'ll top the bill, I\'ll overkill
I have to find the will to carry on
On with the show
On with the show
The show - the show must go on
Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on
Go on, go on

HB_88
02-18-2003, 11:24 PM
Everyone (especially FTR) has to hear Porcupine Tree immediately. Although Lightbulb Sun--one of their greatest albums--is inexplicably hard to find or sometimes entirely unavailable in the U.S., you can still get 1999\'s Stupid Dream CD for about $11. I\'d describe it as prog rock with an excellent sense of melody; it\'ll remind you of Pink Floyd, Nine Inch Nails, George Harrison (primarily in its use of slide guitar), and Radiohead. In fact, FTR and all the other Radiohead fans, they\'ve got a lyric that goes something like: \"you keep me alone in a room full of friends... you keep me listening to The Bends.\"

USE HEADPHONES!

HB_88
No matter where you go.... there you are!

bsxs
02-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Faith No More!!!!

I love Mike Patton, he is definitely a genius.

I love Raymond Scott, John Zorn, Incubus, 311, Primus and a lot more as well.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-19-2003, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a sure and certain winner. Thanks!

seadove
03-16-2003, 01:00 AM
Rring rring......rring rring........rring rring...........rring rring...

Elana
03-16-2003, 05:03 AM
WTF does that mean, Ivan? /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

seadove
03-16-2003, 07:27 AM
MOTHER

Mother, do you think they\'ll drop the bomb?
Mother, do you think they\'ll like this song?
Mother, do you think they\'ll try to break my balls?
Ooooowaa , should I build a wall?

Mother, should I run for President?
Mother, should I trust the government?
Mother, will they put me in the firing line?
Ooooowaa Is it just a waste of time?

Hush, my baby. Baby, don\'t you cry.
Momma\'s gonna make all of your nightmares come true.
Momma\'s gonna put all of her fears into you.
Momma\'s gonna keep you right here under her wing.
She won\'t let you fly, but she might let you sing.
Momma\'s gonna keep Baby cozy and warm.
Oooo Babe.
Oooo Babe.
Ooo Babe, of course Momma\'s gonna help build a wall.

Mother, do you think she\'s good enough,
For me?
Mother, do you think she\'s dangerous,
To me?
Mother will she tear your little boy apart?
Ooooowaa , will she break my heart?

Hush, my baby. Baby, don\'t you cry.
Momma\'s gonna check out all your girlfriends for you.
Momma won\'t let anyone dirty get through.
Momma\'s gonna wait up until you get in.
Momma will always find out where you\'ve been.
Momma\'s gonna keep Baby healthy and clean.
Oooo Babe.
Oooo Babe.
Ooo Babe, you\'ll always be Baby to me.

Mother, did it need to be so high?

phersurf
03-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Oh my God! A Porcupine Tree fan! I am a totall prog fan (since 1974, boy does that date me!) and PTree, although on the more commercial side of my tastes, are amazing! I\'ve seen them 4 times and they a great. I still like The Sky Moves Sideways the best, but you can\'t go wrong with any of their CD\'s.

Pain of Salvation is probably my favorite band right now. They are considered Prog-Metal, but unlike most Prog-Metal bands, they don\'t constantly show off their chops (like Dream Theater and Symphony X). Everything they play, no matter how technical, always serves the music.

seadove
03-16-2003, 10:41 PM
<<<<Oh my God! A Porcupine Tree fan>>>

What porcupine tree? Helllllo? This is like, you know, Pink Floyd? from their famous album called \"The Wall\", huh?

Or am I wrong?/ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

Watcher
03-17-2003, 12:08 AM
Mmmm good song lyrics nevertheless.

phersurf
03-17-2003, 10:11 AM
<<<What porcupine tree? Helllllo? This is like, you know, Pink Floyd? from their famous album called \"The Wall\", huh?>>>

Dude! I was replying to HB_88\'s post about Porcupine Tree. Like I don\'t know Pink Floyd\'s lyrics? I saw them 3 times, including The Wall tour at the Sports Arena in Los Angeles n 1980.

HB_88
03-17-2003, 11:30 PM
Honestly, I wish Porcupine Tree were more commercial--especially since their major label debut, In Absentia, sounds more than a little like Dream Theater. Good, but not their very best. I don\'t hate Dream Theater (although I haven\'t heard quite enough to have an informed opinion); I just like the Pink Floyd/ Beatles/ Radiohead sound much more.

HB_88
Hikita/ Banzai 88

Watcher
03-18-2003, 01:40 AM
Radiohead are a good band.

Sexyredhead
11-23-2003, 07:54 PM
bump

Holmes
11-23-2003, 08:29 PM
Lawnmower Death.

Holmes

Icarus
11-24-2003, 06:19 AM
DJANGO RULES!!!!

Holmes
11-24-2003, 07:12 AM
Soup Boy.

Holmes

ToBeOrNotToBe
11-25-2003, 03:47 AM
50 Cent - In Da

Club

Eminem - Till I Collapse (this one is the best!!)

Public Domain vs Warp Brothers - Rave Charmer

Blade

- Vampire Dance Club (don\'t know the artists but this rules!)