PDA

View Full Version : EW At The Mall/Ethnicity

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Today I put on an EW cologne custom made by a friend who prefers to remain nameless for now and went to Pentagon City with the objective of buying stockings from Fredericks and some trinket odds and ends (earring backs, hair elastics, etc.) I used maybe three sprays from a bottle with a fairly short stemmed atomizer, so it wasn\'t a whole lot of cologne but I think the concentration of EW is pretty high in it. Long story short: Dark skinned men got hard ons for me. Dark skinned women hated my guts, which I\'ve never had happen. More detail: Several black men/Arab looking men I could feel looking at me although my back was to them. I\'d feel someone looking at me, turn around, and be staring straight into a guy\'s eyes and they were smouldering black, pupils huge, and the guys had this expression of completely \"bad\" intent, to the point it alarmed me even a little, took me slightly aback. Not just at Fredericks - also at Macy\'s and at Sephora. Black young girls in the cheap jewelry stores like Claire\'s and The Icing, where I went for barettes and elastics and earring backs - they used to keep earring backs at the counter, so when I went into the store I went to the displays near the counter where the girls were standing behind the register and looked around for a minute, didn\'t see what I wanted. Looked up to ask for help and I saw that both girls had closed completely up. Tight lipped, arms wrapped tight around themselves, jaws tight, faces impervious, staring straight ahead. Whoa. I asked if they had any clear plastic earring backs. Both acted like they didn\'t hear me and made me ask again. One gave me a pained quizzical expression that read to me like \"WHAT do you want, you pain in my ass\" kind of thing, and I explained to her, clear plastic earring backs, like the kind for french wire earrings so they don\'t come out of your ears. She unwrapped her arm from around her self long enough to point across the room and say \"They\'re over there somewhere.\" Thanks, that\'s a lot of help (not - there\'s so much crap \"over there\" it took me 5 minutes to find them). I found what I wanted and was looking at other things; meanwhile a Latina girl and an Arab girl and a white woman close to my age came in. The girls behind the cash register went up to them and offered them baskets to carry their stuff in (they hadn\'t picked anything out yet) and asked if they could help them find anything. I was, I feel pretty sure, being pointedly shunned. That was weird. Ordinarily it\'s pretty friendly in there and the young girls like to chit-chat.The only thing I noticed from white people was almost excessive politeness. There\'s a food court, on Saturdays it\'s very crowded, the tables are close together, and you end up sitting right next to total strangers. I could see one seat open with a woman a few years older than I am sitting on one side of the table, so I walked over and asked if the other seat was taken and she said no, so I sat down and said Hi. She missed a beat and then picked up with \"And how are you today?\" with perfect diction (as opposed to \"How are ya?\" or \"How\'s it going?\") I said, \"I\'m very well, thank you\" and smiled. When she got up to leave she said something like \"I hope you enjoy your day.\" Then a man around my age sat down. He wore a wedding ring. The seat across from me was vacant and by that time the seat next to me was vacant and then there were two maybe Philipino women and a child. The man chose to sit next to me rather than across from me, and pulled his chair in quite close. He made very polite conversation while we ate, polite to the point of being formal. From their accents I think they are both from this region but their politesse was a little odd. People here are generally a little more relaxed in their speech. I\'m not complaining; it was nice. But a little odd. FWIW if anything.

upsidedown
02-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Hmm, not sure how to read this. Maybe you should try putting on less next time and go back to the same places and see if the store clerks are more friendly with a lower dosage.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Oh! GOD! I wish I could paragraph on this machine. Sorry for such a long, unparagraphed post. I\'ll go back and try three returns. That didn\'t work either. Sorry.Upsidedown, screw the store clerks. I liked the guys\' reactions. For that, I\'ll find my own earring backs any day. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

upsidedown
02-01-2003, 02:13 PM
>>Upsidedown, screw the store clerks. I liked the guys\' reactions. For that, I\'ll find my own earring backs any day<<

Well, OK then. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Well, I was just kind ot thinking of you trying something different in the name of science. Also, I read your comment \". . . the guys had this expression of completely \"bad\" intent, to the point it alarmed me even a little. . . \" and thought maybe that the effect from the men was a bit too much for you as well. That\'s also why I suggested backing off. But, hey, if you\'re happy with the results, then more power to ya\'. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

DrSmellThis
02-01-2003, 02:18 PM
good work...

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2003, 02:47 PM
Thanks, DrST.I said \"bad\" intent - I don\'t really mean bad, just trying for a shorthand -- more like their faces were heavy with lust and their eyes were this sort of drugged but very intense stare. Actually the reason it shocked me was that I haven\'t seen that in awhile. The last time I saw it, I had bought this bra and panty set in very sheer black lace, like an extremely fine mesh, but with tiny flowers scattered over it, I doubt the set weighs more than two grams, the lace is so fine, and the bra was cut real low and fit like a dream - a find like you dream about, at Marshall\'s for almost nothing - but I answered the door in that for SDR. He has blue eyes that change colors. He looked at me and his eyes flashed yellow and his face went heavy, I don\'t know how else to say it, and he lowered his head and took a step toward me. Normally I\'m like a puppy when its owner comes home toward him, barely able to keep from jumping up and down and flinging myself at him, I\'m so happy to see him, but when he reacted like that, this sound came out of me involuntarily, from the diaphragm, a sudden \"oh\" and I fell back a step. A fear reaction. It just lasted a second, I trust him with my life, but it was there. Same thing with these guys.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2003, 03:11 PM
I forgot. At Macy\'s. A black/asian mix girl and a light-skinned black girl were at the register at the Lancome counter and I said Hi, could I have a black Definicils, please (mascara). Usually they\'re SO relieved for a customer to come in and know exactly what she wants that they move fast, happily. Not this time. The 1st one asks me if I\'d like to get a Macy\'s charge card, I said no thanks just the mascara, please, smiling. She persists, are you sure, you get a whatever percent discount and it only takes a minute. I said thank you no. The other girl says \"Well, then you\'ll never get a discount.\" I said \"I guess I\'ll just have to live without it then,\" still smiling but starting to get irked. Stop dicking me around and ring up a mascara, let\'s get this show on the road. One of them said more about \"are you sure, etc\" when this very well kept blonde woman in her mid sixties, I would guess, came over from the counter behind me (another brand\'s counter), reached around, grabbed the mascara, and said \"Come on with me, I\'ll ring you up right now and you won\'t have to wait.\" I turned on my heel and went right after her and she rang me up and then said that\'s quite a pretty bag you\'re carrying, Fredericks? (red bag) I said yes. She arched an eyebrow and said \"I won\'t ask you what\'s in it.\" I grinned and said \"In that case, I won\'t tell you.\" She makes coy with me and says something like whatever it is, I bet it looks nice on you ... ok, what\'s in the bag? I said nothing special, really, just stockings. Ohh, STOCKings, she says, knowing looks. You like stockings? I said well, the guy I see likes them, put it that way, and she said Oh and stopped flirting immediately.