PDA

View Full Version : "The Sexual Life of Catherine M."

Whitehall
01-30-2003, 02:35 PM
This is a very strange book! A bestseller in France and now in English, it\'s the autobiography of a leading French art critic (female) who lives a very daring sex life.

Any of you women read it or heard of it?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-30-2003, 02:36 PM
http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/review.asp?id=66213 (\"http://www.metrotimes.com/editorial/review.asp?id=66213\")

Did you read it? Like it?

Whitehall
01-30-2003, 02:51 PM
I\'m about 75% through it. She\'s so dispassionate about passion! Empty-hearted maybe.

It\'s not really tittilating although graphic at times as a philosophic veterinarian might be if it was happening to him/her.

Then it will spin into some sort of French cinematography magazine-speak about the metaphysics....

Frankly, if I ever met her, I wouldn\'t touch her, much less do the wild thing.

MaxiMog
01-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Sure, I\'ve heard of it (not read it though). It\'s the type of book people think of as bad just because of the \"unusual\"/shocking content, but still secretly read. I mean, no one want to admit they bought or read it but the best-seller charts clearly show that the opposite is true. Honestly, I don\'t care, and if you\'re interested in what she has to say, read it.

It\'s always the same where I live (dunno about other places of the world): there\'s a book about sex that seems really exciting because of it\'s content (not just a stupid dull description or so) and everyone seems to condemn it. Still they all secretly read it. I really hate that kind of attitude. Another book released here was a book on all sexual toys and techniques and whatnot to improve your sex life. It\'s still somewhere in the non-fiction top five after more than a year. I\'m sure that 95% of the people will lie when asked wheteher or not they read it. And what for?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-30-2003, 02:53 PM
http://www.thestranger.com/2002-09-19/books.html (www.thestranger.com/2002-09-19/books.html)

It doesn\'t sound like my kind of book.

Have you ever read \"Silk\" by Alessandro Baricco (sp?) ? more sort of Anais Nin-ish, lyrical, very nice, very subtle.

More on \"The Sexual Life...\"

\"Her prose is lovely and surprising. More startling, however, is her claim that she\'d never analyzed her behavior until writing this book, and didn\'t understand the mechanisms of orgasms until late in life. That\'s a pretty strange admission for an intellectual who must\'ve been aware of American feminist writing on the subject and of French theorists who celebrated female sexuality as a basis for l\'écriture feminine.\"

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0222/press.php (\"http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0222/press.php\")

Yeah, but it\'s not at all surprising if you know anything about nymphos, who are mostly frigid.

Elana
01-30-2003, 02:53 PM
A lot of reviews on Amazon.com
many people did not seem to care for it

Blackwidow_Woman
01-30-2003, 07:56 PM
>(Yeah, but it\'s not at all surprising if you know anything about nymphos, who are mostly frigid)
Im fridgid... hey i dont thinks so.. and ya im a nymphomaniac.....so we need and crave more sex than others whats wrong with that... NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! our sex drives are just in over drive.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Black Widow Woman, you seem to take offense at everything I say. I was not talking about you. I was not even remotely thinking about you. And I had no idea you identified yourself as a nymphomaniac. I\'m sorry you were offended by my post.

Blackwidow_Woman
01-30-2003, 08:31 PM
FTR,, im not taking offense with you im just saying you said nymphos are mostly frigid, well im not, thats all and i didnt say you were talking about me..as far as being offended im not im just stating the facts.. i have no probs with you ... /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-30-2003, 08:42 PM
Yes, I remember you saying you\'re multi-orgasmic and extremely sensitive. I didn\'t realize you had problems with sex addiction. Hope it gets better.

Blackwidow_Woman
01-30-2003, 08:47 PM
FTR, hehehehe!!! it dont get any better than it already is... its when ya dont get it then your bummin till ya fix the prob your self... /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-30-2003, 08:48 PM
I\'m sure you know best. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Blackwidow_Woman
01-30-2003, 09:01 PM
That i do,, That i do... hehehe!! now take for instance the man that says geez hun im beat from work and to tierd,, well ok no biggie pass out dont matter,, lol!! il just sneak off into another room and for some unknown reason wow hey hes not tierd no more and manages to make it into the same room im in and look hes even particapating ,.. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif hehe!!! funny the way guys are... /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif but then ya get the ones who really do pass out very cold and cant even get them up with ice on the balls.... /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif well thats ok still have a way of fixin things . sometimes its better than that guy...LOL!!!!!!!

Whitehall
02-02-2003, 10:19 PM
I finished the book and have a somewhat better opinion of it now. The most valuable to me was that here\'s one woman, representative or not, who writes honestly and deeply about her sexual experiences. Sometimes the lines got pretty mangled and twisted - maybe it read better in French - but she still could get the idea across about, say, why she enjoys gang bangs or why she thinks she gives such great blow jobs.

For a French intellectual, she does seem to be in touch with her inner animal.

Still, it is not a book for everyone.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-02-2003, 10:21 PM
So why does she enjoy gang bangs and what makes her blow job so great? Does she write it as a first person narrative via a character, or does she use her own persona, or is it in the third person. Are these things presented as revelatons to her or does she figure them out afterwards. Do you think her revelations about her own sexuality are meant to be representative of female sexuality as well.Now you\'ve got me interested in the book ...

Whitehall
02-03-2003, 08:11 AM
It is written in first personal singular, as an autobiography.

As to your other questions, you\'ll have to read the book but I think you\'ll be empathic.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 09:39 AM
Nah, I\'m sure she made all that stuff up. She probably works for Love-Scent. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Lucky
02-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Whitehall.
What\'s your personal definition of a great blow job?

Whitehall
02-03-2003, 12:05 PM
My definition of a great blow job is close to the authoress\' - she becomes an extension of her man\'s nervous system. She senses the pleasures she is giving and enjoys the man\'s pleasure vacariously. Her mouth is connected to her own vagina and clit. She\'s no longer \"doing\" him as an object.

That loss of self by the woman and gain of connection can make up for a lot of technique. Women are always at their best and happiest when they are giving. I see the man\'s role as supporting and protecting them so that they feel free to give unselfishly.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 12:08 PM
Marry me.

Lucky
02-03-2003, 12:16 PM
I knew I would love his answer.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 12:17 PM
I love it when they talk pretty.

Whitehall
02-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Shucks, thanks for the compliments.

What I\'d like to say is \"You owe me one...\"

franki
02-03-2003, 12:52 PM
I remember Whitehall saying he was not very fond of blowjobs ... /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Franki

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 12:54 PM
That\'s the response I was anticipating, too, but ... actually that was a misunderstanding. He said he didn\'t like oral to completion. He likes to ejaculate where he feels it belongs (not mouth). He never said he didn\'t like oral.

Lucky
02-03-2003, 12:59 PM
<oral to completion>
That\'s an idea for a new thread! I\'m taking it to the Women\'s Forum so I won\'t get in trouble....Hope to see you there.

Elana
02-03-2003, 01:00 PM
We are in the women\'s forum. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif Lucky....are you drunk again? /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

bivonic
02-03-2003, 01:00 PM
I don\'t like bad hummers - I once had this girlfriend who thought it was my fault that I couldn\'t cum when she tried to give me a BJ, she was so bad I had to make her stop - she wouldn\'t use her tongue, just her lips & she did it very mechanically too - I should have gotten her a good video to teach her, considering she was always willing to service me.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 01:01 PM
She got distracted by the topic, I think. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Let\'s see what she\'s up to. I bet I know ... the ultimate question ....

Elana
02-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Didn\'t you try to instruct her?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 01:02 PM
Yes, for god\'s sake, and don\'t get me started.

Elana
02-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Renee- Is it time for me to do a search for your famous blow job thread? That one brings tears to my eyes. I\'m still so proud of you. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Whew boy, I was worked up that day.
Send it to Bivonic before we have to hear any more about the fate of some girl who ...
never mind.

Lucky
02-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Yes, drunk with lust...again!

Elana
02-03-2003, 01:10 PM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif I understand. Talking about dicks tends to distract me too.

bivonic
02-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Yeah I probably should have instructed her better, it was such a god awful bj reminds me of a little johnny joke.

Teacher asks the class a question, \"There are three birds sitting on a fence, you shoot one how many are left?\" Little Johnny says, \"1\" and the teacher says \"why 1?\" Little Johnny explains after you shot the bird the other two flew away so there\'s only one left. The teacher says, \"That\'s not right but I like the way you think.\" Little Johnny asks the teacher, \"There are three women sitting on a park bench each with an icecream cone. The first one licks the ice cream, the second one sucks the ice cream and the third one bites the ice cream, which one is married?\" The teacher says, \"I guess the one that sucks it?\" Little Johnnie says, \"No, it\'s the one wearing the wedding ring, but I like the way you think.\"

nonscents
02-03-2003, 01:25 PM
Bivonic,

I don\'t think that that is a true story. But I like the way you think.

Lucky
02-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Elana,
What are some of the highlights of FTR\'s bj thread?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 01:58 PM
That\'s there\'s no such thing as a woman who can\'t learn to give a superlative blow job if she\'s motivated and the guy will teach her and be patient. That sometimes she\'s no good at it because her mouth has been abused.

Gerund and I had a quite prolonged argument over \"naturals\" versus not \"naturals\". I had relevant personal experience.

I think that bj thread is the main reason the little girls accuse me of making sh!t up.

Personally I don\'t give a damn. I worked hard for that skill and I\'m proud of it.

Elana
02-03-2003, 01:59 PM
FTR- Can you help me find the thread? I can\'t seem to locate it.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 02:00 PM
I try not to think about it. I\'ve taken more sh!t from that thread. ...

Elana
02-03-2003, 02:04 PM
Really? WHY? It was fantastic

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Because women who don\'t swallow hate the guts of women who do, in my experience, and say we\'re gross and nasty and common and whatnot and I get really really sick of it.

I have to do a work thing, he\'s getting ready to get on a plane.
Search Justhuge\'s posts, it was a discussion between me, Gerund, JustHuge, and Sophie and I think maybe Woman were there. I know what women want, could be the name of the thread but I don\'t swear to it.

Lucky
02-03-2003, 02:35 PM
I can\'t pull up anything for JustHuge, remember when it might have been?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 02:37 PM
PM Franki

oscar
02-03-2003, 02:47 PM
FTR,

Coincidentally, I believe it was on that very thread that my friend Whitehall said, \"Personally, I don\'t like to get blow jobs.\"
But I think he was pulling our legs. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Whitehall
02-03-2003, 04:02 PM
I think my other intimate friends better understand me - I consider a blow job as ejaculating in the woman\'s mouth or hand and not in her vagina.

Oral sex as part of foreplay or between play is quite all right so long as the main event happens in the classic way in the classic place. Of course, a BJ to completion is better than no completion at all and can be a nice treat when the woman is otherwise incapacitated.

One great time and place for oral sex is riding home from dinner. After taking a woman out to eat, I love it when she leans over and sucks me while I\'m driving us home to bed. A great meal gets many a woman into the oral mood. Since I\'m limited in what I can do in response and I don\'t want to lose it driving, it has a certain delicious frustration for us both.

oscar
02-03-2003, 05:07 PM
Whitehall,

Beware of tailgaters and drive very carefully when engaged in the above mentioned activity.

Brings to mind the old story of the highway patrolmen who came across an accident scene late one night. The car, a 1965 Mustang had hit a tree. The damage to the car was so minimal that the engine was still running and the lights were still on. But surprisingly, both the male driver and his female passenger were dead. Only after they were removed from the car was it discovered that the woman had choked to death while the man had bled to death from his penis-less crotch.

Your mileage, hopefully, will vary. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 05:12 PM
yeeeouch

Whitehall
02-10-2003, 02:18 PM
I was waiting in a parking lot at night yesterday evening, and I got to thinking about one of the passages in \"The Sexual Life...\" The authoress was discussing how she felt when she was being taken by a group of men in a public space at night, how the darkness made it private by limiting the space, enclosing the pool of light and activity she was in. I was just waiting in the car but it got me to looking at the pool of light I was sitting in and the swirl of human activity within it and outside it.

The lady was editor of a magazine of art criticism so such issues as borders to art come naturally. She must be an existentialist in the French manner.

That lifts the book above just a sex-tell-all to something different and more insightful.

Also, picked up a copy of \"Silk\" and read it in one sitting. Lovely book - sweet melancholy.

But, like \"The Bridges of Madison County,\" probably more appealing to women than men.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Silk\'s definitely my style. I will get the other and read it.