PDA

View Full Version : life is usa

Wolfe
01-30-2003, 01:02 PM
This says it all!
After hearing that the state of Florida changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver\'s license with her face covered this is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a Tampa newspaper. He did quite a job; didn\'t he? Read on, please!

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the \"politically correct\" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America. Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of immigrants. However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand. This idea of America being a multicultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!

\"In God We Trust\" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don\'t like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don\'t care how you did things where you came from. This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle. Our First Amendment gives every! citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

Whitehall
01-30-2003, 02:27 PM
The elites in America have spent the last two or three decades brainwashing the population that being an American was bad and that being \"multicultural\" was good. It was supposed to be \"for the best\" that we allow unprecedented waves of immigrants, legal or otherwise, into the country to undercut the incomes of the non-business owning peoples.

Patriotism was bad since how dare we justify the culture of the US over any other? Most of us have been trained to stare at the politically correct messages coming to us through the boob tube and believe what we\'re shown without question.

Frankly, whenever the ruling elites fail in their responsibilities to the bulk of the population, it\'s time to replace them. 9/11 showed that the ruling elites couldn\'t even provide for minimal physical security for Americans.

Time for a serious change.

MOBLEYC57
01-30-2003, 02:39 PM
I had a follow-up on my hip yesterday, and stopped in at my favorite place to get a steak and cheese....Bo Jangles! I asked the lady working there if they had toothpicks, and she replied, \"I no speak English.\" Can somebody help me? /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif What\'s really going on!?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Oh, sh!t, come here and live. I swear to god, half the considerable stress comes from constantly dealing with people who don\'t speak English, or very little. e.g., a waiter in The Great America Steak Out who doesn\'t understand the question, \"Does a salad come with the steak?\" It will drive you insane, and it\'s everywhere, no matter where you go. Screw you if you have a question of a service provider. Blank stare. Or maybe they\'ll echo one word of your question. When I go up to the Cape to see my mother for Christmas, it\'s such a HUGE pleasure to be able to converse with other people without stress.

It doesn\'t seem to me to be too much to ask. Speak the language.

I could rant on this one for pages. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Whitehall
01-30-2003, 02:54 PM
I\'ll sit in a meeting within an American company in an American location, and I\'m the only person who speaks English as a native language. Sometimes I have to translate one immigrant\'s accented words so the other immigrants can understand him.

MOBLEYC57
01-30-2003, 03:00 PM
All I would really like to know is......who in the hell gave them the interview!!? /ubbthreads/images/icons/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

abductor
01-30-2003, 04:19 PM
I understand perfectly and I agree with \" IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT \".
The most logical thing is: you must have to adapt to the rules, sure!!

If I enter in a store to buy a samba cd, speaking:
Ei moça você tem o cd do Zeca Pagodinho? (Hey girl do you have a ZecaPagodinho CD?)
and she answered:
Sorry, I don\'t speak Portuguese!
I would ask: what a hell do you do here?
Kidding,, I would not be that stupid guy with a girl /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

My case,
I never took a serious english course, I am considered an autodidactic one.. I see CNN..., I bought a English grammar, and I try (really) to speak correctly.
but as everybody I need some help and since we entered in that subject I cannot lose that opportunity.
When I began develop PheroMixApp and Bruce said OK,
Bruce requested help (knowing that nor me or Tom is fluent in English language) if some native one could help with the correct English language.
I didn\'t receive any help..
(if somebody posted something and I didn´t see please, my apologizes)
well, now, I request lowly for help, pleeeeeaaasssseeeeee!!!!!
if you see some mistake please let me know!!
I really trying \" ...MUST ADAPT \" to planet earth /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

MOBLEYC57
01-30-2003, 04:31 PM
\"I try (really) to speak correctly.\" I can understand someone better if they spoke English incorrectly, but I can\'t understand someone that doesn\'t speak any.

Hope you didn\'t take my post wrong, but just in case....here goes. I don\'t care who\'s in America, as those that are in charge, I have no control over that. BUT if you\'re working in a store you should be able to communicate with customers, or you shouldn\'t be working there. That\'s my only point, plus there are people that speak English in need of a job. PERIOD. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Whitehall
01-30-2003, 04:49 PM
You\'re doing a good job with your English skills, Ab. We appreciate the effort.

Mtnjim
01-30-2003, 04:58 PM
When I lived in France, I spoke French,
When I lived in Italy, I spoke Italian,
When I lived in Greece, I spoke Greek. Usually, I was lucky and people recognizing my poor American accent would at least try to speak to me in English--somehow we got along, but, at least I had the respect to attempt to speak the country\'s language.
When I was living in Paris, I was in a resturant and I began speaking French. The waiter took pity on me and broke into English. A little while later, some American tourests came in and immediately began speaking English- didn\'t even try to speak the native language. You know, that waiter suddenly couldn\'t speak a word of English.

abductor
01-30-2003, 06:39 PM
Hey MOBLEYC57,
I was thinking about store situation and /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
Situation one:
The salesperson is a man, I would speak:
That´s ok, hey anyone can help me here???

Situation two:
The salesperson is a pretty woman (smell good too),
I will try to speak anything.. Latin, Japanese,
Russian, or some forgotten old Indian dialect of Nepal ..
You know guys anything /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

MOBLEYC57
01-30-2003, 08:44 PM
Abuctor - If you\'re talking about mine. Twas a woman....not pretty, to me. I didn\'t turn and run, I gave it my best shot! I took my pinky and acted out picking my teeth. She smiled and shook her head no. Did she understand, or was she playing me off? Who knows! What........ever!!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/crazy.gif

abductor
01-31-2003, 03:26 PM
I spoke about a hypothetical situation and my reaction if
the salesperson that doesn\'t speak my language..
I spoke that because I love the womens a lot..
I like womans so much...
If I made a surgery to change my sex, I would become a lesbian /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

druid
01-31-2003, 05:49 PM
guys you open up a whole can of sh-t. I live in south florida I have been in little havanna and there are parts where you can swear you are in north cuba. The signs are in spanish and barely anyone speaks english (or even proper spanish for that matter).

Whitehall hit the bullseye. That is the powers that be allow so much immigration into this culture because the greedy MBA corporate CEO\'s (you know the ones who run our country) have consipired to destroy the middle class by either offshoring our jobs (any fellow techies out there????) or bring in some immigrants for cheap labor here. In the tech field this is accomplished with the H1-B visa program. If you want to learn more about this situation then I suggest the extremely GREAT book \"The Race to the Bottom: Why a worldwide worker surplus and Uncontrolled Free Trade are Sinking American Living Standards\" by Alan Tonelson. It is a great book and will open your eyes.

Simple Fact: A good way to lower the cost something (lets say labor) is to increase the supply while holding the demand constant. Basics economics.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-31-2003, 05:53 PM
Druid, you\'re exactly right - it\'s not just in the tech field. The H1B visa brings in scads and hoards of people from all walks of life. Cooks to doctors to nannies. I spent three years in two firms processing H1Bs. The volume is incredible and they pretty much all just fly right through as long as the paperwork\'s filled out right and you\'ve paid the right fee.

druid
01-31-2003, 05:58 PM
Quick Impression of the INS:
\"Come on in. Convicted fellon, NO PROBLEM!! Hate America, NO PROBLEM!! MEMBER OF THE JIHAD!! COME ON IN AND BRING A FRIEND!!\"

druid
01-31-2003, 05:59 PM
maybe I should just move to Japan or Germany.....

**DONOTDELETE**
01-31-2003, 06:00 PM
They speak better English in either place, I\'m sure.

druid
01-31-2003, 06:07 PM
I would gladly learn german or japanesse to live in a place where the economics make sense. I don\'t think either country brings in people from other coutries and give them there best job all while the peoson has no postive intentions towards the new country.

Oh yeah I almost forgot -- you guys wanna read some H1-B horror stories check out this site http://www.zazona.com/ (\"http://www.zazona.com/\") and click on H1-B Hall of Shame. They also have an ongoing petition you can print, sign, and mail it back. They are trying to end the H1-B visa.

EXIT63
01-31-2003, 06:09 PM
IMHO as Americans we have 2 choices.

We can either WAKE UP! or we can GIVE UP!

What\'s it gonna be?

druid
01-31-2003, 06:16 PM
that is the thing you try to talk to someone about this, try to tell them about the corruption in our government/culture and they are like huh? I mean try to get this stuff on the 6 o\'clock news where it belongs. Try to get someone to vote on something other than the dirt slung on TV. What we need is some anti-NAFTA (and other similar free trade aggrements) legislation NOW, we need to get rid of the H1-B visa program. And we need to tighten our borders.

People at the current rate this country is headed for a major depression.

tallmacky
01-31-2003, 06:31 PM
I think there are two sides to every argument.

First of many immigrants who do come to America come for good intentions, and also try very hard to learn the language.
Now does it mean their accent will be perfect no, not by a long shot. Its very hard for a grown adult to learn a new language.

Its said that 1/3 or all Americans can trace some ancestory back to Ellis Island (Major immigration portal of the early 20th century). A majority of American\'s ancestory lies on the backs of immigrants who struggled with the language. Ofcourse it is now much easier to stress english hey you know it whats the problem right?

Lets not forgot how this country was truly founded.

In short Native Americans are the first residents to North America, immigrant europeans come over kill and outbreed them all and establish their own system.

------------

There is a cool restaurant I go to called Panda Buffet, Its a Korean joint real good too, I do not like pepsi at all personally but that is all I order there because the lady comes around and says, \"Do you want pepsi\" now I know if I said Root beer that might blow her away so I keep it simple. I also noticed that the computers Operating system is completely in Korean.

So yes, a common language helps bound us together, I mean have you seen the problems Canada has with French/English? I agree with language as a true form of society but it seems, race, religion, and social class pretty much close people off entirely.

Do I think people should learn English, hell yeah I think one main language is much better communication wise, and plus if you want to make a living here you should adapt culture wise too.

P.S. If I lived in europe I would have to learn atleast 3 languages OUCH!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-31-2003, 06:36 PM
Exit, what can you do besides vote?

druid
01-31-2003, 06:42 PM
I agree with you. Most of ancestors where Irish and we\'re extremly poor. Irish and German immigrants dug most of the canals in this country. My paternal grandmother was 1/2 native american, and I know of the history of the american indians. But qualm is not with immigrations BUT with assimlation. Lots of people want to come to this country and take advantage of oppturinties here. I have no problem with. But not too many want to be american. That is the problem.

And in the things I pointed out earlier -- Immigrants as well as americans are exploited. People in 3rd worlds are treated as virtual slaves by multinational corporations -- so my beef is with the CEO\'s who condon this.

EXIT63
01-31-2003, 06:47 PM
I\'m not against immigration. I\'m against illegal immigration. And the lack of assimilation. And the pandering by politicians (Reps and Dems) who bend over backwards to buy their votes. Did you know that in New jersey you can take the drivers license test in English and these foreign languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Rumanian, Russian, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese.

You want people to learn to speak english. Administer the test in english only.

It\'s a start.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-31-2003, 07:13 PM
I agree that immigration is not the problem but the lack of assimilation - but the immigrants are being let in so fast they can\'t assimilate, I think. We closed our borders for awhile after the first big wave and gave things time to settle down. It\'s time to do it again, IMO. And yes, for god\'s sake, stop offering multi-lingual everything. The quality of elementary school education\'s going to hell because the teachers have to deal with kids who don\'t speak English mainstreamed into their classes, so everything\'s dumbed down a little. What passes for literacy in English anymore is a shame in our country. I do wish the people who came here wanted to be Americans, instead of wanting to establish colonies of their native countries on American soil. We just don\'t have the resources; it places too many demands on our systems, I think.

Wolfe
01-31-2003, 07:56 PM
none of the above..we sit on our asses till osama nukes us

druid
01-31-2003, 08:21 PM
or better yet wolfe we allow more terrorists into the country and they turn our own nukes against us.

MaxiMog
02-01-2003, 03:14 AM
Ain\'t it cool that all evil seems to originate from one person only i.e. Osama BL? NON OF ALL THAT SHITE! Iraq is Iraq, Osama is Osama and I\'ll be buggered if the two really have gotten things going on between each other. There\'s no evidence for that! America couldn\'t get Osama, and in order to justify a war against Iraq, they throw Osama in the mix.

More about that evidence: where IS the evidence that a war against Iraq is justified? They\'ve got it, but don\'t want to show it (yet)? Hans Blix, head of the inspectors in Iraq doesn\'t find the war to be justified. He\'s THE man there for God\'s sake. There\'s no one person more competent in judging whether the war is justified than him, and he says don\'t bother.
Donald rumsfeld say they\'ve got *bullet-proof evidence* BUT says so himself that if that evidence was taken to court (even in America), there would be nothing left of his so-called evidence. SO what\'s left? A video provided by one Richard Myers showing actual arms of mass destruction. What does the tape show? A truck stopping in front of a house and delevering a huge package. And of course, that huge package MUST contain such a weapon.

Just in: Bush WILL use nukes if necessary: we expect one county to disarm COMPLETELY, but of course the USA will not bother disarming themselves. What do you say? They do destroy/disarm some of there own nukes now and in the future? Correct, but what they have left is STILL enough to destroy the whole world hundreds of times. The pointis everyone has to disarm so that America will be the sole military force in this word. There\'s not one country that could even stand a chance against American forces.

Is the war about oil? It certainly would seem to be a BIG reason (still they say that\'s not an important part of it. Oh no, it\'s a battle against *evil* ~shudders~). The war\'s gonna cost some money alright, about 200 billion dollars to be precise. But that\'s peanuts of course if you consider the oil in the ground to be worth 3,500 billion dollars. And IF you contol the biggest oil supplies in the world, the road to world domination is all but a hard one.
America already has to import 30% of it\'s oil. Starting 2020 America will already be importing 75% of it\'s oil.

Bush and his *axis of evil*. What\'s so fuckin\' different between that and Hitler\'s hate against the Jews, the sole reasons of all the problems in the world?

The point in making all those weapons is just overthrowning the world so we can all live *THE AMERICAN DREAM*. You honestly don\'t think all that money is used for weapons to PROTECT America, do you?

Hey, I\'m not a fan of Iraq in case you\'re starting to think that. It\'s just that the Americans should fuckin\' wake up. All they do is listen to Bush giving HIS vision on it all while being interrupted every three lines by some loud American applause. If Clinton was of liar because of that case with Lewinsky, then Bush HAS GOT to be an even bigger liar. Oh no, in fact, he\'s just IGNORANT, and that cannot be helped.

I\'m gonna stiop right here, \'cause I feel I\'m soon gonna start vomiting because of all this shite!

Wolfe
02-01-2003, 05:06 AM
nowhere has bush said osama was involved..I did..and that IMHO that saddam would give osama a nuke.bush is going after saddam over a broken agreement on weapons of mass destruction that has nohing to do with osama except what i said about saddam giving those kind of weapon to ppl like osama.
which he would if asked too, and if you dont know by now what osama would do with one you\'ve been living on another planet

Wolfe
02-01-2003, 05:09 AM
\"Exit, what can you do besides vote?\"

many things, including writing to your congressman and senators.

\"Stick your head in the sand, someone will come along and shoot your ass off\"
[i] Wolfe

EXIT63
02-01-2003, 06:35 AM
...Hans Blix, head of the inspectors in Iraq doesn\'t find the war to be justified. He\'s THE man there for God\'s sake. There\'s no one person more competent in judging whether the war is justified than him, and he says don\'t bother...

Blix is the MAN!?!? He couldn\'t an WMD if it was wedged up his butt!!!

I would respond to the rest of your drivel...but it\'s just too stupid to waste any time on.

Just one more thing. Why don\'t you wake up and thank America for saving your asses 3 times in the 20th century!!!!!!!!!!

MaxiMog
02-01-2003, 08:31 AM
<<Just one more thing. Why don\'t you wake up and thank America for saving your asses 3 times in the 20th century!!!!!!!!!!>>

I\'m very aware of that, BUT it\'s also an undeniable fact that the USA will ONLY intervene when doing so will offer them big economical and other types of advantages. It\'s not as if there just good human beings being charitable. America is above all a military force. No wonder they are a deciding factor in wars like WWII.

Keep in mind that LOTS of people (even in America) are not in favor of war. Does the government even listen to them? NO! That\'s democracy for you I guess... If they got the frickin\' evidence to start a war, why don\'t they give it? Because then they would have to admit they spy in Iraq by means not admitted?

<<I would respond to the rest of your drivel...but it\'s just too stupid to waste any time on. >> Why don\'t you just do it so I DO wake up from my dreams. Really, I\'m inviting you to respond. It\'s you *not willing to waste your oh so precious time* who\'s fault IMO. If I\'m to blind to see the truth, why don\'t you make me see it?

Wolfe
02-01-2003, 09:11 AM
excuse me?..what was the \'economcial\' advantage to the USA going to war(spending billions of US tax dollars) during WW1 and WW2?. And IF the USA had only economical thoughts to it\'s advantage why did it spend more Millions of US tax dollars rebuilding Germany?(twice to boot)
plz enlighten me on this \'ecnomical advantage\' we gained from that.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-01-2003, 09:16 AM
I don\'t see any reason why we have to defend against making economic decisions that are in our best interest, whether they be about war or not about war. Making good decisions about profit is also part of defending the country. We\'ve always been unapologetic capitalists.

Wolfe
02-01-2003, 09:20 AM
neither do i ,however the only time i see that we might have done so is in the middle east. no way, no damn how, did we gain from the wars in europe. they cost the american taxpayers billions of dollar we still having to pay off.

upsidedown
02-01-2003, 09:23 AM
I get a bit frustrated when I see people assigning motives to people\'s actions.

But, just getting away from the war talk for a moment, there\'s not a single country on the face of this earth that sends more of it\'s taxpayer\'s money to HELP other people and other countries than the United States of America. As a tax payer I get a bit tired that we send so much money to other places in the world, only to have our good intentions trashed. Would the world prefer that we just keep all of our money to ourselves, isolate ourselves, and let the rest of the world fend for itself?

Were there any economic motives when we went to kick out Millosevic? I think we could have sat that one out without any down side to our economy.

Wolfe
02-01-2003, 09:27 AM
think of the number of american lives spent in the name of freedom, how many of those have been in the defence of american soil?..not a one of them.
and what price you place on a human life?.
yep. they piss and moan about americans..till someone comes in to kick thier asses..then who do they call on for help..those crappy americans they blasted the day before..

upsidedown
02-01-2003, 09:34 AM
Keep in mind also how badly Saddam treats his own people. He has killed so many of his own citizens in order to stay in power. Is there no human rights issue in play here as well? The man is a tyrant...or does nobody care about the Iraqi people and their future?

Also keep in mind that unlike the countries of Europe in the past who went to conquer other lands and build their empires...as well as the actions of the former Soviet Union....the U.S. has never sought to take over any other countries. We spend billions on wars and then spend billions helping the countries we defeated to get back on their feet and have better lives as well. We don\'t look at defeated countries as conquests and force them to be satellites in an empire.....but instead try to help them help themselves by getting on their feet, making better lives for their citizens, and trying to make friends and allies with them in the end.

If there is some oil motive in this current situatuation...it\'s not that our country is going to go in and steal their oil. Whatever oil is sold under a new Iraqi regeime will benefit Iraq by selling oil on the world market. Whatever oil motives may exist will also affect the entire world, not just the U.S. So, it\'s not just selfish U.S. motives in play here. This would effect the economies of the eintire world.

Wolfe
02-01-2003, 09:37 AM
maybe it\'s time we change our policys and do that..take over the middle east and make some money from selling oil to the others that wanna sit back and wait /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

CptKipling
02-01-2003, 06:23 PM
lol /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

nichirenx
11-21-2004, 10:53 PM
guys you open

up a whole can of sh-t. I live in south florida I have been in little havanna and there are parts where you can

swear you are in north cuba. The signs are in spanish and barely anyone speaks english (or even proper spanish for

that matter).

Whitehall hit the bullseye. That is the powers that be allow so much immigration into this

culture because the greedy MBA corporate CEO\'s (you know the ones who run our country) have consipired to destroy

the middle class by either offshoring our jobs (any fellow techies out there????) or bring in some immigrants for

cheap labor here. In the tech field this is accomplished with the H1-B visa program. If you want to learn more about

this situation then I suggest the extremely GREAT book \"The Race to the Bottom: Why a worldwide worker surplus and

Uncontrolled Free Trade are Sinking American Living Standards\" by Alan Tonelson. It is a great book and will open

your eyes.

Simple Fact: A good way to lower the cost something (lets say labor) is to increase the supply while

holding the demand constant. Basics economics.
I am a techie with a CIS bachelors, my network, a+ and

msce certs, slowly working on an engineering degree(deadend job) and all I get is sporadic short term contracts.

Gotta get that book.

Heck I am about to go live in a monastery. I'd still just be getting necessities but not

in delusion.
Lolz.

nichirenx
11-21-2004, 11:05 PM
I just want to know, where is

our cut?
Wars, food and other necessities, they are lifting Quota restrictions on textiles next year. Where do

the non elite working class americans benefit.

Side-joke , my ancestors INVOLUNTARILY immigrated here.
wish

they would have been better warriors back then and not lost to another tribe.