PDA

View Full Version : Write to your Congressman -- Congress may ban pheromones

xvs
01-28-2003, 02:08 PM
MAL224610 posted a link to a similar article in another thread (but that article got the bill number wrong). It looks to me as if pheromones could also be affected by this bill. I intend to write my congressmen and I urge everyone else to do the same.

http://www.brinkzone.com/supplementban/ (\"http://www.brinkzone.com/supplementban/\")

If you’re one of the millions of Americans who enjoy and benefit from anti-aging supplements, be afraid. Be very afraid. Certain members of Congress are intent on taking them away from you, and placing you under arrest if you possess them! Sounds far-fetched? It’s frighteningly real, extremely serious, and absolutely imminent! But amazingly, practically nobody in the anti-aging / life-extension community is aware of it, much less is denouncing it in the media.

The villain is the so-called “Anti-Andro Bill” – H.R. 5564 – introduced last October by U.S. Representatives Sweeney and Osborne. Purporting to address the use of muscle-building “andro” supplements by teens, this alarming and wildly overbroad bill would have devastating effects on mature adults throughout America. It would actually permit the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to schedule a wide variety of currently over-the-counter nutritional supplements as controlled substances. In effect, this bill would authorize the arrest and criminal prosecution of millions of Americans as drug offenders -- just for possessing supplements like DHEA, 7-keto DHEA, and pregnenolone! Those caught with these currently legal supplements -- proven to have powerful health benefits and anti-aging properties -- would even be subject to federal asset forfeiture laws, permitting the government to seize and retain private property! All this would be done by making an end-run around the proper lawful procedures, and without any evidence of legitimate public health concerns or dangers to American adults. The bill seeks to deal a staggering blow to nutritional supplement freedom and the Dietary Supplements Health and Education Act (DSHEA)!

Here is a way to look up contact info for your representative:

http://www.house.gov/writerep/ (\"http://www.house.gov/writerep/\")

They seem to take FAXes, written letters and phone calls more seriously than emails.

CptKipling
01-28-2003, 02:55 PM
That isn\'t good news, at all.

If I had a congressman, I would write.

Bruce
01-28-2003, 03:54 PM
I think it will be a while until they get to pheromones, but this is not a good sign. These supplements have been a big part of my staying young and healthy.
Bruce

CptKipling
01-28-2003, 03:58 PM
Some people are just silly, the goverment is jsut overreacting again, more vote winning tactics.

Maybe we could set up an online petition?

Watcher
01-28-2003, 04:40 PM
That is a very good idea, perhaps we need to write to the bill writer asking why the andro substances are such a threat to his personal worldview when they are helping many millions. Although in australia i wouldnt have many problems being legal i would just shift my ordering to another phero site should this happen - looks like long term though.
The life extension communities and associations and even the church of scienctology once they get a hold of this information they may just have enough political clout to knock it down we know what big business is like with regards to keep thier major $ supplies open. Maybe people should write to these natural sellers etc to let them know what is up with regards to DHEA.
And bruce youre phero products will not be affected ie couplins and WAGG etc will be unaffected, may just mean a narrower range of purchase opportunites.

Bruce
01-28-2003, 11:07 PM
This bill in and of itself will not ban pheromones, but there is a certain domino theory in play. If they get this through, the noose tightens another notch, the drug company lobbiests exchange hi-fives briefly and quite naturally figure out what their next move is.
Actually, some control of the prohormones is clearly in order, but classifying them, criminalizing users and putting them totally out of reach of everyone, even by prescription, is a true criminal act.
Bruce

Watcher
01-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the clarifcation bruce a couple of extra thoughts.

The domino effect, once they get a hold of one they move on i see what u mean. What would their next move be?

What control measures over prohormones are you suggesting (perhaps limiting sale to other 18s etc?)

I agree that the criminalisation is a bad idea and quite stupid actually - the self help life extension natural lobby may flap their arms about.
U have a greater understanding however on this.
Hey how did you get associated with pheromones in the 1st place anyway. (the creation of love-scent etc)

MAL224610
02-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Bruce actually not that long at all, this bill includes all precursors and metabolites. All pheromones are 5alpha reduced metabolites (be it from pregnenolone, DHEA, Test, or DHT). Under such writing that would be the end of pheromones too. Its a poorly written bill, and I conjecture that the meat industry should get involved(cholesterol being the mother of all precursors, and is a steroid).

www.usfa.biz (\"http://www.usfa.biz\") - provides letters pre-written for your congressmen.

Michael

Watcher
02-03-2003, 12:28 AM
Will probably fail if its challanged by to many players.

xvs
02-03-2003, 06:27 AM
Right! Which is why EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM WHO IS IN THE USA SHOULD WRITE TO THEIR CONGRESSMEN NOW!!!

C\'mon, it doesn\'t take but a minute!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 06:29 AM
I did, I did already, jeez.

CptKipling
02-03-2003, 10:05 AM
Online petition?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-03-2003, 10:10 AM
It takes 5 seconds to click on the link above, which takes you to your representative, and mine gives an email form with a space for comments, in which I wrote something like \"I am against passage of H.R. --- and I want you not to vote for it.\"

They do pay attention. You don\'t have to write a whole letter or explain yourself.

CptKipling
02-03-2003, 11:20 AM
It\'s just that people outside the US cant do that.

Bruce
02-03-2003, 11:48 AM
What you could do if you were so inspired, would be to post notices here and there on forums bulletin boards etc alerting US citizens that the hatchet is coming down. I imagine there are folks doing that on the body-building forums already, but it wouldn\'t hurt to check. There are also plenty of forums for:
natural health
life extension/anti aging
stuff like that, frequented by folks who would like to know about this if they don\'t already.

Bruce

CptKipling
02-03-2003, 12:23 PM
Maybe this should have been left in Phero Discussion... More people see it there.

bivonic
02-03-2003, 12:38 PM
I saw it & clicked on the link & cut & paste what FTR said, then I got an automated email reply from my congressman & in the reply he said he would send a letter to me via postal mail, I\'m looking forward to getting it!

DrSmellThis
02-03-2003, 11:45 PM
I just wrote. Thanks for the help, folks.

TylerDurden
03-02-2004, 09:07 PM
uh, \"bump\".

any new news on this?