>
> Thanks to the listener who sent this great illustration on how
> conservatives and liberals might react differently when faced with a
> threat of deadly violence:
>
> Question: You\'re walking down a deserted street with your wife and two
> small children. Suddenly, a dangerous looking man with a huge knife
> comes around the corner and is running at you while screaming
> obscenities. In your hand is a Glock .40 and you are an expert shot.
> You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do
> you do?
>
> Liberal Answer:
> Well, that\'s not enough information to answer the question! Does the
> man look poor or oppressed? Have I ever done anything to him that is
> inspiring him to attack? Could we run away? What does my wife think?
> What about the kids? Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and
> knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this
> situation? Is it possible he\'d be happy with just killing me? Does he
> definitely want to kill me or would he just be content to wound me? If
> I were to grab his knees and hold on, could my family get away while
> he was stabbing me? This is all so confusing! I need to debate this
> with some friends for a few days to try to come to a conclusion.
>
> Conservative Answer:
> BANG!
>
> Texan\'s Answer:
> BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! click (sounds of
> clip being ejected and fresh clip installed)
> Wife: \"Sweetheart, he looks like he\'s still moving, what do you kids
think?\"
> Son: \"Mom\'s right Dad, I saw it too.\"
> BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
> Daughter: \"Nice grouping Daddy!\"

franki
01-28-2003, 11:10 AM
Is it true that Texans are trigger-happy, or is it a legend/rumor??

Franki /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

belgareth
01-28-2003, 11:39 AM
I\'m not a native here so probably see things a little differently than most Texans. When I moved here the thing that impressed me the most was the kind, friendly and good natured attitude most of them displayed. That is, until you put them into a car. Most Texans can\'t drive, they get too aggressive for safety.

If anything, I think they may be less voilent because they don\'t repress as much. You make somebody mad, you are likely to notice it pretty quickly. They do have a simple attitude about criminals, little is tolerated. If somebody points a gun at you (armed robbery), you have every right to point one back at them and you should pull the trigger. I don\'t personally have a problem with that. There is less violence in general here than in any of the more liberal parts of the country, gun violence in particular, is very low.

Wolfe
01-28-2003, 11:53 AM
some 38%(legally, another 50% do so w/o a licence) of the state goes armed with a handgun(thats over 21 yrs of age-state has a \"right to carry\" law) and a granny is just as likely to pop a cap into ya as a young man is.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-28-2003, 11:55 AM
I\'ve found Texans to be the most friendly, open, hospitable, straight forward people I\'ve ever met. (I don\'t know what\'s wrong with Wolfe but you know there are exceptions to every rule...)

Wolfe
01-28-2003, 12:58 PM
damn right there are, and i\'m glad of it too, hate to be just another one of the \'sheep\'

Whitehall
01-28-2003, 05:05 PM
I was raised in the Deep South where the attitudes are very similar to Texas. When I was a young man, we had an intruder into our house. I was only maybe 14 and was the \"male adult\" in the house at the time. I spooked the guy and he fled but I called the police anyway. The police officer came to the house and told me point blank \"You\'re the man of the house; next time this happens, kill him.\"

The basic philosophic issue is whether the State has a monopoly on violence. In the South, Texas and large parts of the West, the opinion is that every adult has the duty to enforce social norms and to protect what\'s his or hers from crime. That includes killing your wife and her lover if you catch them in bed. I remember the sheriff getting shot by his deputy in my home town when the deputy made such as discovery. No charges were filed.

In the liberal East, the position is that the State has a monopoly and that little in the way of self-protection is tolerated.

These differences in philosophy go back to the initial waves of immigration from England in the 1600\'s and 1700\'s. It still is a hot button issue that splits over regional lines in the US.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-28-2003, 05:13 PM
S\'pose the shoe were on the other foot - reckon it\'s ok for the wife to shoot her husband if she caught him with another woman?

Wolfe
01-28-2003, 05:15 PM
crimes of passion are not a reconized defence in the state of texas

Watcher
01-28-2003, 05:15 PM
Even with the mass migration across the united states in recent years, maybe the hotter weather contributes to the more aggressive behaviour - i read somewhere that those in hotter climates get more depressed with warmer weather and greater exposure to sunlight than those in higer and lower latitudes. And if taken with many million people could explain violence in.

India
China
Pakistan
Middle East
Sri Lanka
Africa
South America
Oceania with fiji solomon islands and most other countries in civil trouble.
Even northern australia has a 10% higher crime rate per capita than the southern states.

druid
01-28-2003, 07:53 PM
Well FTR she could just run him over with her car. And in texas it would probably be a big SUV or pickup truck. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Nah. A southern woman\'s got better sense than to get all worked up over something like that. Boys will be boys.

BassMan
01-29-2003, 06:30 AM
<blockquote><font class=\"small\">In reply to:</font><hr>

I was raised in the Deep South where the attitudes are very similar to Texas. When I was a young man, we had an intruder into our house. I was only maybe 14 and was the \"male adult\" in the house at the time. I spooked the guy and he fled but I called the police anyway. The police officer came to the house and told me point blank \"You\'re the man of the house; next time this happens, kill him.\"

<hr></blockquote>My kid brother is a cop in the rather small town in rural Virginia in which we grew up. He has repeatedly told me the same thing:

- Have a gun. A _big_ gun.
- Learn how to use it.
- _Never_ shoot to just wound.

Wolfe
01-29-2003, 07:48 AM
shoot to kill,,,otherwise the SOB can sue your ass.

Blackwidow_Woman
01-29-2003, 11:00 AM
&gt;(shoot to kill,,,otherwise the SOB can sue your ass.)
You got that right!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Wolfe
01-29-2003, 11:06 AM
only in the USA huh? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
gotta love it

bivonic
01-29-2003, 12:13 PM
The only flaw in that story is where the Texan ejects his first clip after 9 shots - standard civilian clip in the U.S. has a capacity of 10 /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif