PDA

View Full Version : The Origin of Consciousness...Julian Jaynes

bivonic
01-21-2003, 06:10 AM
A review of...
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind
by Julian Jaynes

I\'ve found this to be a real good read, sorry I forget who suggested I check it out. I\'ll try to keep a cliff notes version handy for those that want to know more about how consciousness works, perhaps to apply to DIHL\'s.

So far I\'ve learned (not sure any of these are fact or hypothesis).

1. The mind thinks in metaphors. Let\'s say you are hiking, you look at a piece of paper with symbols on it. If you are at the base of a mountain & you want to get to the top of the mountain traversing a trail, you associate the symbols & the two geographical points by essentially imagining a story of you at the base of the mountain climbing the mountain to get to the other geographical point. It is common for us to have this 3rd person view of ourselves performing an action when we think (consciously). It had a great definition of a Theory which I cannot find at the moment, something like telling a story of measured data through metaphors so that we can create an association between the data & what it is we observe as a result of certain conditions (I\'m pretty sure I botched that, but maybe you followed it).

2. Stress is caused by decisions. Two monkeys were placed in a cage, one of the monkeys was responsible for pressing a button at a certain timed interval or else both monkeys would receive an electrical shock. Only the mokey responsible for having to hit the button would exhibit stress. In another experiment a rat had to cross a bridge & receive an electrical shock in order to eat food & drink water on the other end. It was the pause of getting shocked & having to decide to cross the bridge & receive the pain in order to eat - that pause & decision is what caused his stress.

3. When engaging in conversation, the recipient (think target) immediately classifies the person speaking to them (in a hierarchical status sort of way) & determines the appropriate distance to receive this person\'s information. The closer the distance the target allows in the conversation the more likely that the target will be receptive and trusting of you. Part of this was derived by the behavior in schizophrenics in that since the voice was coming within (audible hallucination) it received a much higher level of trust then receiving similar instructions from another person.

I\'m only on page 110 out of about 470. I found this last point the most useful, maybe not ground-breaking, but in conjunction with pheromones that sets people at ease & helps establish a positive level of trust, it will allow you to achieve a closer (think intimate) level of conversation. There\'s definitely some gems in the book & the historical approach is interesting, albeit a slight distraction from the \"good stuff\".

CptKipling
01-21-2003, 06:15 AM
Interesting stuff!

I think Whitehall has something similar coming soon.

Point 3 is especially interesting, I\'ll have to look at that.

Whitehall
01-21-2003, 10:57 AM
The book gets even better as it goes along. There is a separate chapter on hypnosis that has lead me to further research. So far the best book I\'ve been able to find is \"The Complete Idiot\'s Guide to Hypnosis\"

It seems that research on hypnosis pretty much stopped after the early 70\'s.

I\'ve posted some more preliminary info in a thread called \"DIHL as Hypnotic Trance....\"

I\'m looking for some detailed hit reports involving DIHLs so that we can form some sort of realistic theoritical basis and hence offer practical suggestions on how to capitalize on a DIHL when we are offered one.

ironration
01-21-2003, 02:36 PM
Research on hypnosis did not stop. I has just moved to the field. Ross Jeffries and lots of other use NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) to get laid. It seems to be much more effective then pheromones.

Whitehall
01-21-2003, 02:43 PM
What we\'re going to try to do is combine pheromones and hypnosis/NPL.

The concept is that a DIHL is a trance and so the target should be suggestible. How,the problem is what suggestions to make and how to make them. Maybe there is a good pattern to run on a complete stranger lasting no longer than the DIHL state and hopefully prolonging it. Most DIHLs are reported to last only a few seconds and often happen between complete strangers so one\'s options are limited.

I\'m hoping for a number of field reports of DIHLs while I think through the suggestion process. Then I\'ll come up with a specific technique for capitalizing on DIHLs. For example, should one touch the target and make kino?

Stay tuned.

CptKipling
01-21-2003, 02:47 PM
So in a word, or several;

ALL PEOPLE EHO RECIEVE DIHLS, MAKE IN DEPTH REPORTS

Ahem.

DrSmellThis
01-24-2003, 03:33 AM
I got one tonight, and just entered into a mutual trance-like conversation. I was going for the \"our own private universe effect.\" I think that is one use for DIHL\'s.