PDA

View Full Version : Psychedelics

RyanG
01-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Lets open the discussion to psychedelics. Most of u probly just have biased opinons on them though.

I think stuff like acid, mushrooms, and 2C-B are incredible (yes i have tried them). Do they damage the brain? No, i understand pharmacology somewhat, they act on certain serotonin receptors, acting as fake neurotransmitters, which cause reactions not completely understood. They can turn on parts of the brain that aren\'t on. (we only use 10% of the brain).

Like native americans using the mescaline containing cacti peyote for spiritual enlightenment. The mazatec mexican tribes using salvia divinorum (i dont like that stuff, its too powerful), and the south americans somewhere using the DMT containing vine Ayacausca. All have been practiced hundreds of years.

My point? Just informative basically. I am not an advocate for psychedelic drugs like Tim Leary, but i believe they can enlighten people and show them the spiritual side to life.

There are downsides, yes. Personality disorders can occur, people being so amazed at what they saw. Or frightened. LSD users especially are known to have \"bad trips\" at high doses. Oh that brings up the subject of flashbacks. \"OH dont do acid cause u can have flashback the rest of your life\" thats bulls***. i have done it over 50 times. Flashbacks from a hallucinogen, if they exist, are only due to PTSD (post tramatic stress syndrome) and are not related directly to the drug. In fact, LSD is out of the body in about 24 hours.

Im very interested in psychedelics. Not just eating them, reading about their effects. So i shared some knowledge and would like opinions.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-08-2003, 08:29 PM
I did acid once. It was fascinating and I\'m glad I did it. It does not seem to have done me any harm. NEXT.

Which is to say that I don\'t know about all the opening you up to spiritual whatnot. I remember being mesmerized by carpet fibers. And that the guy I was with at the time swore the halos around things were red, when they were clearly purple, I could see them quite plainly. We both thought that was hilarious.

50 times seems to me to be a lot. You\'ve sworn off a lot of stuff lately. You swearing off hallucinogens too, by any chance?

Watcher
01-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Not for or against them but you can get similar focused states off Pheromones sometimes.

nbnbtc
01-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Okay this doesn\'t have to do with psychedelics per say, but the effects might be similar. Has anyone here heard of mind machines that use flashing lights and sounds at certain frequencies to bring you into different states of consciousness? for example www.mindmodulations.com (\"http://www.mindmodulations.com\") and http://www.syneticsystems.com/ (\"http://www.syneticsystems.com/\")
I\'ve had some interesting experiences with these myself.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-08-2003, 09:35 PM
what did they do for you?

nbnbtc
01-08-2003, 09:49 PM
The mind machines? Well about a year ago I bought the Proteus (from the site I linked to in my earlier post) and I have to say I use it all the time. I\'ve always been interested in finding ways improve/control my mood, mental state, whatever, always looking for new and interesting things, which incidently is how I found this forum, heh. But back to the mind machines, I use it a lot to help me relax more easily especially when I have trouble falling asleep. Its a good lift when I\'m feeling down sometimes, can help you to focus more, and its also really helpful in guideing dreams when used with the right frequencies. Oh and sometimes I just use it with music for fun, and well that can be really interesting. It\'s really amazing what is out there these days. I\'ve never taken any illegal drugs so I can\'t compare with those effects, but from what I\'ve heard about others experiences I think using this kind of a device is a lot safer and effective, and at least easier to control. You can literaly program your brain, or at least guide it more in the direction you\'d like. Of course there is no mirical anything out there, but every little bit helps, and it\'s pretty interesting the different things you can play around with.

Wolfe
01-08-2003, 09:59 PM
excuse me..but thats total BS. i\'ve seen the effects of what acid can do to ppl and it CAN (and does) do perm damage to ppl. Seen it do both mental and physical damage(while high on acid) by driveing ppl to freak out and hurt themselves-IE: saw my brother-in-law( while high on Purple Haze-made by the man himself-O\'Leary) take off running and end up in a barbed wire fence. It took us 2 1/2 hrs to cut him out of and 100\'s of stitches to close him up. Also saw the results in a close friend that had taken acid(Orange Sunshine) that hadn\'t been properly cared for and had gone bad(had gotten hot which had changed it\'s chem make-up) FRY his brain to where he will spend the rest of his life in a DUH state..so don\'t ever think it\'s safe.

seadove
01-08-2003, 11:13 PM
RYAN AND OTHERS.
YOU PEOPLE ARE CORDIALLY INVITED FOR A TOUR TO A CERTAIN MENTAL INSTITUTE IN BRIGHTON WILLOW LANE THIRD FLOOR.LEFT WING.
I\'LL BE WAITING FOR YOU ALL.AND I\'M GOING TO ENJOY THE LOOK ON YOUR FACES.
R E A L L Y ENJOY IT.
AND THEN RYAN WE\'LL HAVE AN \"\'OPEN DISCUSSION\" IN THE LOBBY TOGETHER WITH THE OTHER SCREWED UP FAMILIES JUST FOR THE EXCITEMENT,EXTRA, WITH NO CHARGES.
LET\'S HAVE SOME FUN.

seadove
01-09-2003, 01:19 AM
Ryan my friend
Why don\'t you go back to masturbation?

Watcher
01-09-2003, 01:46 AM
Yeah seadove that masturbation thread got a real workout hey lol.

seadove
01-09-2003, 01:55 AM
This guy is really freaking me out, watcher./ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Elana
01-09-2003, 06:49 AM
My friend Steve Jacobson shot himself in the head after taking several hits of acid at once. It was over 15 years ago and it still breaks my heart. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

RyanG
01-09-2003, 01:32 PM
jeeze ppl chill. (about acid causing harm.. ok maybe it can, i dont see proof that it doesnt i just see changes in thinking, and drug induced injuries imo dont count as side effects...

sorry to hear that Elana, it can freak ppl out.

i just brought this topic up cause its gonna be my research paper for advanced comp. itd be good cause theres many aspects to research, religion, use in therapy, harm, legal issues...

i think thats so typical of biased ppl to stereotype someone who has used psychedelics as crazy or weird. it pi*ses me off actually. and no, im not in perfect mental health, but could surely pass as normal.

seadove
01-09-2003, 10:34 PM
\"i think thats so typical of biased ppl to stereotype someone who has used psychedelics as crazy or weird. it pi*ses me off actually. and no, im not in perfect mental health, but could surely pass as normal. \"

Anybody can guess that you\'re not in perfect mental health.I can arrange a bed for you in Brighton.I am a volunteer there.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-09-2003, 10:50 PM
can you get me one, too?

seadove
01-09-2003, 11:07 PM
Aw shut up red head.
You are more normal than anyone here.You\'re a woman.
(see my reaction to your ginger thing)
/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Xehupatl
01-18-2003, 08:51 AM
I know this thread is old and \"dead\", but I just HAD to give my 2 euro-cent\'s worth (and I\'ve been thinking about it since the thread got started LOL /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif ); anyway:

it seems the original poster was right: those that answered his thread are pretty biased about the topic, and I can understand that in a mental-intitutional kind of context - no discussion there: the stuff can make you crazy. But it can also change your life for the better (religious/spiritual experiences) - no doubt about that either.

But I think ultimately the decision to use psychedelic substances is the user\'s. If you want to ingest LSD or so it\'s up to you to take the responsibility for your action! Sure, you can be peer-pressured into doing it, but then again, you can be peer-pressured into anything! Smoking cigarettes, using speed or extasy (sp?), etc. And let\'s not forget buying expensive fancy clothing! Buying a car! Going on a diet! Having sex! The kind of music to listen to!
If you can\'t handle peer pressure get some self-esteem, change your friends. It\'s all up to the individual. If your friends tell you \"What, you\'ve never had sex before?\" \"What, you don\'t have a car, loser?\" \"Everybody does it!\" etc. it\'s your choice to \'obey\' their \'laws\' or rules, or to walk away. If you can\'t be friends with somebody because you\'re not dressed in the new style, in my opinion, they\'re not really your friends.
And it\'s the same with psychedelics. I say if you want to do some LSD or whatever, do it! It\'s your decision. Just make sure it\'s your OWN decision, not your \"friends\'\" or societies (just because you see anorexic women in ads doesn\'t really mean you\'ve got to lose your love handles to be accepted!)

When I see people getting agressive at somebody because he/she\'s smoking, eating meat, using drugs, I start wondering who\'s the bad guy, the one whos biased and being influenced, really.
The human being is wonderful and entitled to all kinds of new experiences. But ultimately, it\'s their decision to do something or not do something. And it\'s their responsibility to do their homework and see what the consequences COULD BE (do you think everybody who\'s doing LSD is going to freak out?), and then decide to do it or not.

I think I\'ve been very fortunate with my friends. They don\'t really care what I do or what I have done, and they forgive me when I make mistakes. They don\'t care what clothes I wear, whether I smoke or not, or if I\'ve ever had sex before. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif When they say, \"come on let\'s go to a club\" I\'m able to say \"no thanks, I don\'t want to\" without them making fun of me or stop being my friends.

I don\'t really know where I\'m going with this /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Well, all I wanted to say was that it\'s your decision, and if you feel pressured by society, you friends, co-workers or family to do or NOT do something, it\'s also your responsibility to decide.

Oh man, I hate when I get philosophical about something - I have way too much time to think /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

ste

BTW: While the subjects of government and laws are a whole new thing, I wouldn\'t recommend doing illegal things (like LSD - there are alternatives, you know) - but hey, if you can live with the consequences, do it /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Elana
01-18-2003, 09:38 AM
<But it can also change your life for the better (religious/spiritual experiences) - no doubt about that either.>

Please tell me you are joking about this. It\'s one thing to choose to do drugs, but let\'s not even attempt to glamorize acid. And yes, I have tried it several times when I was your age. The only thing it did to change my life was eliminate some of my brain cells.

belgareth
01-18-2003, 09:45 AM
Xehupatl:

You have it right, mostly. It is about self direction and thinking for yourself and personal responsibility. You do have every right to do with your own body whatever you wish, so long as it does not have a negative impact on others.

The problem is, what happens when somebody takes LSD or some other drug and fries their brain? It\'s easy to say that it won\'t happen to you, and you could be right, or you could be wrong. If it does happen, how does that affect those around you? Your spouse or girl/boyfriend, friends and family? Do you not have an obligation to them? How about as a parent? Do you have the right to deprive children of the support you owe them? Do you also have the right to so incapacitate yourself as to become a burden to society as a whole?

It is nice to think of yourself as an independent agent, but you really aren\'t. The interdependencies are numerous and entangling. You have debts and obligations to others.

It does not apply only to drugs, but to all forms of risky behavoir. You can\'t and shouldn\'t try to eliminate risk in your life, but inappropriate risks without return, other than your own pleasure, is pretty self centered.

Wolfe
01-18-2003, 10:03 AM
to follow up on what Bel said, look, EVERY football player that steps onto a field(at ANY level) thinks it will NEVER be them to have a injury or to be the one laying there with a broken neck..well guess what..they do get left laying there and at ALL levels of playing from peewee to pro.
can happen to anyone, at any time. what makes you think ANY thing else in life is any differant?..even drugs

**DONOTDELETE**
01-19-2003, 07:39 AM
www.biopsychiatry.com (\"http://www.biopsychiatry.com\")

A website with an interesting slant on drugs -- good for an afternoon\'s reading.