PDA

View Full Version : Joe Millionaire thoughts?

bivonic
01-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Just watched Joe Millionaire, I\'m curious to see if any of the ladies watched it & what your thoughts are, if you didn\'t tune in, how come?

Thanks!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-06-2003, 07:25 PM
Because it\'s wrongheaded. That\'s that show where they told a bunch of women that this really good-looking, nice acting guy was a millionaire and now we\'re supposed to sit back and watch the women fall all over him, supposedly because he has money? And then when they get the truth and are pissed off and don\'t want anything more to do with him, ever, we\'ll be led to believe it\'s because of the money. It won\'t be. It will be because he participated in a big fat hulking stinking LIE. But it will reinforce a bad opinion of women.I don\'t give a damn for his money. He\'s cute and he\'s nice and he seems to know how to act. Some of those women might be money-grubbers, but some of them are just as well reacting to the fact that he\'s cute and he\'s nice, and the money is the icing on the cake. It\'s a severe diss to women. Shorty got a job, Shorty got a car, Shorty can pay her own rent ...

Blackwidow_Woman
01-06-2003, 10:20 PM
FullTiltRedhead.... im agreein on this one with you...

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 01:40 AM
agreed sweetie..lie\'s are plain wrong no matterr what

\"Bury your head in the sand, somebody will come along and shoot your ass off\"
[i] Wolfe

bivonic
01-07-2003, 03:36 AM
I think there\'s a twist waiting to happen at the end that most people are not expecting. According to the story line, everyone expects \"Joe\" to be only worth the 19k a year. Come on the guy\'s an actor, he will certainly get recognition / impressions - or whatever that term is called in the advertising / marketing world & will end up getting his due. He may not be worth $50 million when it is all said & done, but I can see him in position to start a lucrative career. I enjoy watching these reality shows that focus on dating for the psychological aspect. I feel it gives both men & women an inside look to the psyche of the opposite sex. A lot of people scoffed at Temptation Island - I loved that show more so then any of these other reality shows. FYI - I never caught on to the Survivor or Big Brother or Fear Factor shows, I just like the ones that focus around dating, attraction, etc...this includes those super cheezy blind date type shows - a lot of times I\'m either not attracted physically or intellectually to the women on those shows, but I still watch it to hope to understand the enigma that is woman. (I don\'t mean any offense I\'m sure men can be equally enigmatic at times)

Originally I came up with this simplestic approach, I actually started asking a few girls in a bar what they thought of the show \"Joe Millionaire\", with the sexist attitude that women who were going to watch it because they loved the idea were certainly not gold diggers & those that hated the idea & would never watch it, but at the same time could not formulate an intelligent answer as to WHY they hated it were gold diggers. The only problem I ran into was when I ran into these types of women, I really had nothing more to say to them & I left a generally negative impression of myself on them.

Not liking the show because it is based on a lie certainly has merit, I\'m a big fan of honesty & integrity. But if I had a dollar for everytime a woman lied to me (strangers, friends & lovers the same) I\'d be Joe Millionaire /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 04:45 AM
sorry..a lie is a lie no matter the reason

[i] Wolfe

**DONOTDELETE**
01-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Bivonic, there are lies and there are lies. A little fib\'s not so bad. He\'s perpetrating a great monstrous hulking stinking make-a-damn-fool-out-of-you-on-national-tv lie. That sh*t ain\'t funny, it\'s sadistic.

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 05:33 AM
to lower one\'s own morals just because someone else lowered thiers seems like a good way to justify anything..what\'s next?..theft? rape?..murder?..just because someone else did it?
i\'ll get off my soap as the question wasnt to me( a man ) anyways.

[i] Wolfe

belgareth
01-07-2003, 05:37 AM
Wolfe\'s right. Morals and ethics aren\'t based on what somebody else does, it\'s what you do that counts. No matter what somebody else does, you have to stand on your own moral ground. Without it, you have nothing.

bivonic
01-07-2003, 07:07 AM
Well, I wouldn\'t believe everything you hear.

What If - Evan Marriott (I think that\'s his name) really is a millionaire, just not worth $50 million? And what if Fox didn\'t lie, he only makes $19k a year? What I\'m getting at is $19k a year is way below average for a construction worker. I bet he owns the company & is worth perhaps a cool million & only pays himself $19k a year for tax reasons.

I\'m notorious for overanalyzing, but if you caught the episode, there was a scene with one of his \"peers\" where the guy they are interviewing said, \"Evan is great - when I first started working here he said that, \"I\'m going to make sure you learn every piece of equipment here.\" I thought of him as a mentor ever since.\"

Hypothetically speaking if this were true, would it change your opinion of the show? He lures 20 women in thinking he\'s worth $50 million, then gives them a test of sorts saying he only makes $19k a year, when in reality he really is a millionaire?

Elana
01-07-2003, 07:09 AM
You may be right. Our local paper alluded to the fact that there will be one more twist.....and it will shock the viewer.

bivonic
01-07-2003, 07:16 AM
What I find most humorous is that personally I don\'t think I would choose any one of those women based on looks alone, there might be one, but even so, I can do better off on my own without a million dollar bank roll. I do have high standards though & it pisses off all of my buddies that I never settle, never beer goggle etc...

I\'d rate most of those women in the 6, maybe 7 range. If I see a 6 in a bar I don\'t even think of approaching them. I wonder why Fox went with such pooches, compared to the bachelor or tempation island, the level of talent on this show is just so sub-par, just my humble opinion. I\'ll probably get flamed now, oh well.

Elana
01-07-2003, 07:34 AM
They were talking about that on the radio today. I would comment, but I don\'t want to appear catty. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif
Flame away. /ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 07:40 AM
MEOW

Elana
01-07-2003, 07:41 AM
/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif but I didn\'t say anything.

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 07:42 AM
ya mean directly /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

upsidedown
01-07-2003, 07:47 AM
>>I\'d rate most of those women in the 6, maybe 7 range. If I see a 6 in a bar I don\'t even think of approaching them. I wonder why Fox went with such pooches<<

If those are your rejects, then give ME your rejects, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning for a good man. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Somebody not having sex or a relationship because nobody\'s good enough for them kinda makes me wonder....

but then I wonder about a lot of things

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 07:50 AM
say what??? i have no rejects,,gotta have something to reject first ya know /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif
though i FEEL rejected, i hit on Red and she turned me down....sigh /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Track0714
01-07-2003, 07:52 AM
a friend of mine is an Orthadontist. He tells women he is an Assistant manager at Burger King. He is tired of the gold diggers and that seems to chase them away.

bivonic
01-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Yeah I\'m far from being a player, I\'m real picky when it comes to women, my friends say I\'m too picky but I don\'t let it bother me. But hey this is a new year & I\'m putting myself out there more to take in more variety.

I\'m probably a perfect guinea pig for testing \'mones.

bivonic
01-07-2003, 07:58 AM
Track0714 - I love that line, I think I\'m going to use it when the timing is right. At least he can have asperations of being the Manager some day! LMFAO.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-07-2003, 08:00 AM
Wolfe.

1. I never rejected you.

2. I was commenting re Bivonic.

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 08:05 AM
gonna have lunch and get to meet Belgareth this week, that ought to be interesting.
ahh..you didn\'t? thought you said when i asked if i could stop by and meet you when i went through there this summer you said \'no i\'m to old for you\" ??..heh
thats ok though, i deserve it for preying on younger women /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-07-2003, 08:15 AM
I thought you said you were not hitting on me.

If you weren\'t hitting on me, then how could you have been rejected?

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 08:23 AM
heh well now i don\'t believe i ever said that, what i did say after you said no you were to old 4 me was that i was also gonna meet bel and that i wasnt hitting on him cause he was to old for me too /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 08:26 AM
oh ya..he\'s married too /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

krtel
01-07-2003, 10:15 AM
This only proves that there are a high number of \"material girls\" out there. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

This morning on the radio, they were asking women about this exact topic and one woman called and said that \"Money is very important and that if a guy wasn\'t wearing fancy cloths she\'d think he dosen\'t have a lot of money and wouldn\'t even talk to him.\"

20 Women went right after the guy simply because they think he\'s worth a lot. How sad. I don\'t know about other guys my age, but these are the type of women I am trying my best to AVOID.

- Krish

franki
01-07-2003, 10:29 AM
I think these woman CAN be a lot of fun. If you have enough money, that is. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Franki

bivonic
01-07-2003, 10:36 AM
Krish -

If I remember correctly you are still pretty young, eh? It\'s the nature of the beast - most women I\'ve come across rate money pretty high on their list of priorities, comes down to being able to be a good provider, then again I live in the NYC area, I\'m sure you don\'t run into as many materialistic types across the country. One of the main reasons my last two girlfriends liked me so much, to the point they wanted to marry me was because I had my own business & the potential of being quite successful. It\'s probably my own fault for not finding out sooner, live & learn.

A wise man once asked me what the difference was between the North East & the South East, I said \"the weather?\" He said that in general people in the North East have money closer to the center of their lives, in the South East relations are closer to the center. For example when he goes to see his local barber, he knows all about him, & he\'ll ask how his sister & her kids are doing etc... You can find the right communities in the North East but they are hard to come by IMO.

Anyway my 2 cents for what it\'s worth.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Or you can live in the DC metro area, where we have Northern hospitality and Southern efficiency -- the worst of both worlds...

koolking1
01-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Besides being relatively low-paid, the other twist is that it\'s likely he has a teeny tiny weenie about the size of half my pinky finger. Myself, I would not watch this show - the premise is, as has been stated so accurately previously, a lie. I think the new show planned for the Oxygen network starting Sat night at midnight is going to be more to my liking!!!! That\'s my kind of reality!!!!!!!!!

krtel
01-07-2003, 11:07 AM
Nah, I don\'t find it fun when all she wants is what I have. I want her to like me for the person I am, not how many small green sheets of paper I have.

- Krish

krtel
01-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Yes, I just turned 17. I don\'t seem to understand why money is so important for them, one things for sure, it isn\'t for me. There are a lot of material girls where I live, then again, I live in Houston. There was this one girl that wanted to date me because I have money, and I actually was really tempted to go for her because she was a complete \'10\' but I used my senses and didn\'t go w/ her.

I honestly think material girls are everywhere, regardless of geography.

- Krish

franki
01-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Maybe you don\'t think money is important because you never had a big shortage of it. If you would have lived in a third-world-country maybe you would think different. Lots of women in Russia (for example) would marry an American guy, so that they can escape poverty.

Women are programmed to look for good providers. (I don\'t want to say all women are like that)

Franki /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Truthfully, if you can marry for love and have money, too, so much the better.

It\'s romantic to think that money doesn\'t matter, but it does, like Franki says -- you learn that when you constantly don\'t have enough.

Whitehall
01-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Somehow, women WITH money, old money, have been attracted to me. I\'ve married a couple of them.

BIG MISTAKE.

I\'m not wealthy by any means but I do make a comfortable living and have high standards, cultural sophistication, etc. Perhaps I should have married a woman from less favored economic circumstances. She would then be more beholden to me for her substanence. As it is, they could always run to Daddy and undercut my authority as head of household. None of them cared a wit about making a good home for me - it was always MY fault for not paying for a maid.

A woman who is looking for a good provider and who is willing to provide a good home, warm affection, children, etc. in return just might be the wise choice for a man. Of course, once she says \"I do\" she must live up to her part of the deal and not run off with some other guy just because he has MORE money or a prettier face, etc.

It is the classic deal and a good one if you can get it and make it work for both of you.

bivonic
01-07-2003, 12:00 PM
As a Red Sox fan, I had to get rid of the number of posts in this forum from 1918. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

krtel
01-07-2003, 12:21 PM
I agree, but I think that money shouldn\'t take precedence over love. Thats different from whats happening on Joe Millionare. Those 20 women want him simply for the money, not because they love him. So yeah, I would image a relationship where there is love AND money, as a really good one.

- Krish

Blackwidow_Woman
01-08-2003, 11:25 AM
well im a woman and im not out looking for any guy who has money or a fancy house or a high paying job or anything for that matter to me none of that matters...I have my own home, my own biz. and have raised both my kids on my own, and i can do alot of things that some women think a guy should do all the time when they are in a relationship like mow the lawn, take out trash, build things, work on fixing things and bla bla bla. I dont depend on no one..as for money Yeah everyone needs money but thats not what anyone should build a relationship on.. I drive and work on my own boat, i work on and drive harleys, i work on and drive 4x4 trucks and i do all the things around my house that maybe other women would say hey,,get off your duff and do it..I build barns and fences and cut trees,and all the other things that come with life..so im not complaining..im happy the way things are..money or no money. If ya love the guy more power to ya, if your just friends cool,but its not cool to use someone or say ya care or love them just because they have power, money and a fancy home...my 2 cents worth...later....

**DONOTDELETE**
01-08-2003, 11:36 AM
BWW, I was raised to be independent, too, and succeeded pretty well. Which gives a lot of freedom in your choice of mate, because money really isn\'t an issue. I don\'t make all that much but I can get by on little, so it\'s ok. The problem comes when someone like me marries someone who\'s even worse off, which is what my stupid ass did. When you\'re just keeping your head above water to begin with, and then hook up for luv with someone who\'s just keeping his head above water, who then loses his job and can\'t get back on his feet ... trust me, you don\'t want to be there. Which mistake came from being over idealistic about love and money. IF I ever hooked up again, I\'d work to marry up this time. He wouldn\'t have to be a millionaire, but it sure wouldn\'t hurt if he were doing a far sight better than I am. I\'d like to try it once, just for the change. P.S. I think part of the allure of a man with a profession that takes years of education, like an orthodontist, is not only the money but the fact that getting through that much education successfully means he has the ability to stick with something. That means a lot. A demanding profession is an indication of his personality as well as his income.