PDA

View Full Version : Instant Messaging

upsidedown
01-05-2003, 05:59 PM
I noticed that our profiles include a place for ICQ numbers, but very few people seem to have these numbers. Either that, or they don\'t care to put them on here.

So, I was wondering what Instant Messaging programs people on here use? For example, I use Yahoo Instant Messenger. Others may use AOL instant messenger service.

The reason I ask is over the last few weeks I\'ve had conversations going on with 4 or 5 people at times while we were both online, but we had to use the PM function. This isn\'t particularly effective as a chat feature, it\'s a bit too slow and often the person signs off before getting your message when you think they\'re still online.

So, I was wondering how many people would be interested in posting their IM addresses in their profile and using it while on the fourm. That way members can zip off an IM to another person quicky and actually have more real time conversations than having to go through the PM and cluttering up our PM boxes. It could also provide a little enterrtainment when not many people are posting, and you\'ve already read all the posts.

There might be some drawbacks of course, such as someone getting IMed when they\'re trying to to read posts...or getting IMed when trying to write a post. But, you\'d have to log off if you didn\'t want to be contacted by IM and be distracted Also, most of those programs allow you to select who you\'d want to have IM you anyway so you would have some control. I also wouldn\'t want it to detract from the interesting discussions taking place on the forums by keeping people from posting as much as they are now.

Anyway, I just thought this might be something people would be interested in it. I\'m not really sure I\'d want to do it or not, but I thought I\'d bring it up for discussion just to see what people think.

franki
01-05-2003, 06:03 PM
Since my email is f3729544@yahoo.com (\"f3729544@yahoo.com\"), my Yahoo Instant Mesesenger handle is f3729544, MSN = frankibongardt@hotmail.com. (\"frankibongardt@hotmail.com.\")

In the past I have tried to IM with Yahoo Messenger to a few people here on the forum who displayed a Yahoo email address, but no one responded. /ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

Franki /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

upsidedown
01-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Yes, people have to have their IM turned on for it to work. We\'d just have to make it a point to do it when we come on...or any time we want to get IM\'s, even when we\'re not on the Love-Scent site. Also, Yahoo does seem to me a good program to use since anybody can sign up for a Yahoo account. I know Hotmail is universally available as well. I could easily get set up with that.

It would probably be best to pick one program that everybody could agree with.

Wolfe
01-05-2003, 06:40 PM
hotmail has started charging a monthly fee i believe

**DONOTDELETE**
01-05-2003, 07:32 PM
I\'m on Yahoo IM during my work hours (10:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. EST) but if you want to IM me, send me a pm here and let me know first, so I can put you on my friends list. I have mine set to only accept IM\'s from people I know.

franki
01-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Yeah, I tried to IM the dudette, but I got no response.

upsidedown
01-05-2003, 07:58 PM
FTR,

I take it that it\'s not possible for you to have Yahoo IM on that internet appliance you\'re using at home then? Doesn\'t IM get a bit distracting at work? I guess you can always turn it off it you\'re really busy though.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-05-2003, 07:59 PM
Sorry about that. I\'ll put you on my Friends list tomorrow. Do you get a lot of IM\'s from complete strangers with nothing to say for themselves on Yahoo? I\'d get up from my desk to make a couple of copies, come back, and the screen would be covered with Hi! Hi! Hi! ??? Upsidedown, just saw your note. I can do a lot of stuff at the same time, so can do IM\'s if the conversation\'s not too demanding, and with people I know, I can say Hey, I have to get back to you and know they won\'t keep popping up. If I have to get off, it\'s because one of my attorneys is standing in front of me or about to come around behind me and see my screen.It\'s nice to have it when things are slow, though -- the work tends to be feast or famine and it\'s been a little slow lately.I\'m usually on Yahoo IM as fulltiltredhead.

franki
01-05-2003, 08:01 PM
\"Do you get a lot of IM\'s from complete strangers with nothing to say for themselves on Yahoo?\"

No. But I am not a woman. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

upsidedown
01-05-2003, 08:09 PM
>>Do you get a lot of IM\'s from complete strangers with nothing to say for themselves on Yahoo?<<

Now instead of IM\'s from complete strangers with nothing to say, you\'ll have IM\'s from all the Love Scent members with nothing to say. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Surely not.

seadove
01-05-2003, 10:40 PM
And what\'s wrong with this forum\'s global connection?It\'s quite instant and also hell of a connection.One of the few modern and no nonsence forums that I know of.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

krtel
01-06-2003, 11:30 AM
I use MSN messenger.

- Krish

Watcher
01-06-2003, 06:42 PM
I havent been able to access mine since they started to charge for it, hotmail emails are still ok though just the messenger feature.

krtel
01-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Dude, MSN doesen\'t charge for IM! At least not in the U.S. But then again, I have a good friend from Australia and he uses MSN.

- Krish

franki
01-06-2003, 07:08 PM
You can use any email address you want with MSN, right? Not just @msn or @hotmail addresses. So nobody that uses MSN necessarily has to pay when hotmail charges mones.

krtel
01-06-2003, 07:10 PM
No, I think it has to be hotmail.com or msn.com. Hotmail is free though.

- Krish

**DONOTDELETE**
01-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Yahoo\'s free too

franki
01-06-2003, 07:49 PM
\"No, I think it has to be hotmail.com or msn.com.\"

No, I MSN with my mom and she only has an \"@cs.com\" address! /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Blackwidow_Woman
01-06-2003, 11:21 PM
I use Msn hotmail.com and yahoo both and have np.. at all.
I can talk to 5 or 7 people all at once all seperate from each other..:)

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 01:25 AM
get a Cam and let\'s do it over netmeeting /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

seadove
01-07-2003, 01:30 AM
Naughty Wolfy.
Spose she\'s not decent?

/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 01:33 AM
buddy, amoung friends is there such a thing? /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

krtel
01-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Interesting.... I\'ve never seen that happen before.

- Krish