PDA

View Full Version : Tempur-Pedic -- all it's cracked up to be?

Gerund
01-02-2003, 08:48 PM
Do any forum members have first-hand experience sleeping on a tempur-pedic mattress? You know, the one with the Swedish memory cells, etc., approved by NASA, etc.?

Do those mattresses live up to the hype?

Tim
01-02-2003, 08:59 PM
I, too, have wondered about this mattress... Never thought of asking about it in the forums though. Hopefully someone will have experience with the mattress.

I\'m looking to replace my waterbed with something better for the back.. Yeah, I\'m only 17, but better sleep is always welcome.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-02-2003, 10:22 PM
I lay down on one, once. It was in a store like The Sharper Image, I forget which store, set up as a display/tester. I would most definitely buy that mattress if I had the money. It molds perfectly to your body and I\'m sure it reduces tossing and turning and makes for a better sleep. You lie down, it conforms to you, and you really don\'t want to move.

Whitehall
01-03-2003, 09:16 AM
I had one for a month on trial. I loved it but it just plain cost too much.

Gerund
01-03-2003, 09:25 AM
Sounds worthwhile... with tax season coming up, I\'m seriously considering buying one. Gotta have high-quality sleep during busy, stressful times, and my current mattress is about thrashed.

Lucky
01-03-2003, 02:21 PM
Let the bedding queen help you with this question. Try layering. Here\'s the way I do it.

Layer 1. Select Comfort mattress - it\'s the air type (Paul Harvey). I had trouble deciding between this and the Tempur-Pedic, but your old mattress would probably be okay.

Layer 2. A thick down comforter

Layer 3. A two inch pad of the tempur pedic material

Cover all this with a regular mattress pad, Italian sheets, and you are good to go.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-03-2003, 02:45 PM
!! I have a feather bed on top of a reasonably good mattress -- you\'re saying put the 2\" temper pedic pad on TOP of the feather bed? All that stuff doesn\'t shift too much?

It does sound like heaven...

Whitehall
01-03-2003, 02:49 PM
I do so appreciate women who put the effort into making bedtime a pleasure.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-03-2003, 03:55 PM
Everything should be a pleasure. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

DrSmellThis
01-03-2003, 05:40 PM
I owned one, but sold it as it didn\'t support my back enough. It felt great for a while, and did produce a deep sleep. I now have an air chamber bed, which is very nice.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-03-2003, 05:50 PM
If you don\'t mind my asking, how would you rate either bed as far as playing on it rather than sleeping? I\'ve wondered if, on the air chamber ones, there\'s any danger of bottoming out on it, and on the temper-pedic ones, if it inhibits movement.

Lucky
01-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Yes, put the viscofoam pad (viscofoam.net has good quality and good prices) on top of the down. In fact, after I wrote that note, I went and ordered a 3 inch pad. I think I\'ll try 5 inches of the pad over the down, if it\'s too much, off with the down.

You do have to buy all the deep pocketed sheets and mattress cover. It doesn\'t slip or slide at all. In fact, it\'s heaven.

DrSmellThis
01-04-2003, 03:19 PM
No bottoming out on the air bed.

I don\'t remember with the tempurpedic. It\'s good for getting someone to have sex.

Goddess
01-06-2003, 12:35 PM
I have one and I LOVE it! I lay down on it and my muscles go \"AHHHHH\" I\'m finally getting a great sleep, and find that I\'m more relaxed after 5 hours of sleep than I was with another mattress after 8 hours. Those extra three hours can come in handy for \"something else.\"

Gerund
01-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Sounds good to me!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-07-2003, 09:38 AM
I have one of these beds too, and they are great. You lay down on them and your body just feels comfortable. I barely move when I sleep now. I used to toss all night and wake up with the covers wrapped around me.

The only problem I have with them is they don\'t have that spring needed for great sex, but I have another normal bed in my guest room that serves that purpose.

They may be expensive, but when I was looking at an alternative normal bed, the ones I like were upwards of $2,000, so they were roughly the same price.

Gerund
01-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Heck, I can have sex anywhere. I gotta be able to sleep! hehe

Wolfe
01-07-2003, 12:55 PM
hum, i can sleep anywhere..i need the sex