PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin C

tounge
12-19-2002, 06:48 AM
I was wondering how many people kick up their C intake when they feel a cold or flu coming on. Also, in what form do you increase the dosage?

Bruce
12-19-2002, 06:52 AM
I do that, but I have a bunch of things I do if I think a cold is coming on:
zinc lozenges
gargle with apple cider vinegar and/or colloidal silver
long sauna
essential oils

Bruce

Gerund
12-19-2002, 09:24 AM
When I saw a cute Doctorette for a severe cough a few weeks ago, she told me that those Zinc lozenges containing Vitamin C are the only thing proven to reduce the severity/duration of a cold. (Don\'t exceed 6 per day) /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Whitehall
12-19-2002, 10:06 AM
I reach for the \"Emer\'gen-C\" fizzy powders. Each contains a gram of Vitamin- C, tastes fine and goes down easy. Two or three at the right time seem to make things right again.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-19-2002, 10:07 AM
Vitamin C at 1,000 milligrams every four hours plus two aspirin has gotten me rid of colds in as little as two days and sometimes even overnight. Friends, too. Whether it\'s scientific or not -- it often really works.

druid
12-19-2002, 09:42 PM
2 days for a cold? seems a little long to me, I usually get sick for a day-day and a half tops. And I don\'t usually take vit c (just a multi-vitiam and all the muscle stuff -- creatine, ZMA, glutamine, protein powders.)

**DONOTDELETE**
12-22-2002, 11:07 PM
Hey Guys,

Agree with Druid here on this one to some extent. Usually sick with the cold for 1 day.

But then, I take 2-3 GRAMS of Vitamin C about every 6 hours, in addition to a good multivitamin and a bunch of other supplements when I am getting sick.

Crash course on supplements to strengthen immune system: Vitamins C, B complex, E, beta-carotene, garlic, EFA, alfalfa. Of course, first, a GOOD Multi.

Research has shown that Vitamin C increases the white blood cells\' ability to phagocytize(eat) foreign invaders. It also boosts the immune system\'s ability to resist bacterial infections.

When you are sick, the body desperately NEEDS large amounts of Vitamin C. Any excess is simply passed out in the urine but that is after the body has used all that it has to.

If anybody has any other questions, feel free to PM me. I am staying quite busy due to work but will check back here later.

tounge
12-23-2002, 08:03 AM
Tom, what type of \"C\" do you recommend?

krtel
12-23-2002, 08:52 PM
Actually, I do two things:

1. Up the Vitamin C

2. Temporarily start using Echincea root herb. It really helps your immune system significantly (IMHO it does more for me than Vitamin C does): http://health.yahoo.com/health/alternative_medicine/herbal_remedies_tree/herbal_remedies/echinacea/index.html (\"http://health.yahoo.com/health/alternative_medicine/herbal_remedies_tree/herbal_remedies/echinacea/index.html\")

- Krish

seadove
12-25-2002, 09:43 PM
That explains why I get a terrible cold when I take my C.

MaxiMog
12-26-2002, 03:42 AM
Here\'s something on Vitamin C that you should read. Do with the information as you wish. Happy reading!

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pauling.html (\"http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pauling.html\")

Thoughts are appreciated.

CptKipling
12-29-2002, 06:33 PM
Some told me that megadoses of vitamin C can damage your liver, true?

MaxiMog
12-31-2002, 03:56 AM
If the RDA (?) is about 60 mg, then I guess taking about 200mg a day or so won\'t be harmful, but when you\'re taking doses of grams a day?

Linus Pauling taking about 40 grams a day sometimes? Does he actually realize that\'s more grams of Vitamin C then I eat grams of fat a day? Vitamin C is a micronutrient, not a macronutrient. If we really need several grams a day, then it shouldn\'t be called VITAMIN C anymore.

Wolfe
12-31-2002, 04:03 AM
wow..i feel sorry for you guys(and gals), last cold i had was 9 yrs ago.

MaxiMog
12-31-2002, 04:25 AM
Please read the whole article and then we\'ll talk again. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

I almost never have a cold either, but that has gotten to do with my diet.

I\'m not contra Vitamin C per se, but that doesn\'t mean I have to start taking ****loads of it before I know it\'s absolutely safe.

Eskimo\'s are on a diet of fish, and no fruits. (the real eskimo\'s anyway). Believe it or not, but just like animals they are still capable of makin their own vitamin C. (they have no other choice, have they?) I think it would be advisible to look just how much vitamin C they generate (unfortunately it\'s not easily done) so that we could get an image of what we actually need.

Animals are said to generate somewhere near 50 mg per pound of body weight (?) which would be about 10+ grams in us humans (keep in mind that these numbers are not necessarily %100 correct but what it comes down to is that they generate about 100 times the RDA for the same weight). Need I remind you that even though we\'re still animals, there are huge differences between all kinds of animals? There are 6 kingdoms (Whittaker), and the animal kingdom is but one of them. Still there\'s a huge amount of animals, no? Birds, mamals, fishes to name a few: look at the differences between those! (but they\'re still part of the same kingdom)

BTW, how much Vitamin C do apes generate?

nonscents
12-31-2002, 08:50 AM
http://www.orthomed.com/ (\"http://www.orthomed.com/\")

CptKipling
01-01-2003, 03:55 PM
I heard about the eskimo thing aswell, interesting stuff.

Any thoughts on megadoses and liver damage?

What is it in your diet that makes your immune system so good?

druid
01-01-2003, 05:28 PM
it should be noted that eskimos eats lots of fats, especaially the polyunsaturted type found in fish. Which even the doctors stuck in the low-fat mindset have acknowlede as being heart healthy.

Watcher
01-01-2003, 10:07 PM
Yeah fish are the best source of omega fatty acids.

MaxiMog
01-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Lots of whole grains, little to no sugar, little to no meat (rather fish). When I do feel like I\'m getting sick, hang low for a while (there\'s nothing better to cure sickness than stop eating for a while IMO. Even animals do it!! (instinct you know)) Don\'t stop drinking!! (preferably something hot!)

MaxiMog
01-02-2003, 01:28 PM
Prevents deppression, too, you know! (omega-3 fatty acids)

MaxiMog
01-26-2003, 01:38 AM
High-dose ascorbic acid increases intercourse frequency and improves mood: a randomized controlled clinical trial.

Brody S.

Center for and the Psychosomatic and Psychobiological Research, University of Trier, Germany.
BACKGROUND: Ascorbic acid (AA) modulates catecholaminergic activity, decreases stress reactivity, approach anxiety and prolactin release, improves vascular function, and increases oxytocin release. These processes are relevant to sexual behavior and mood. METHODS: In this randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled 14 day trial of sustained-release AA (42 healthy young adults; 3000 mg/day Cetebe) and placebo (39 healthy young adults), subjects with partners recorded penile-vaginal intercourse (FSI), noncoital partner sex, and masturbation in daily diaries, and also completed the Beck Depression Inventory before and after the trial. RESULTS: The AA group reported greater FSI (but, as hypothesized, not other sexual behavior) frequency, an effect most prominent in subjects not cohabiting with their sexual partner, and in women. The AA but not placebo group also experienced a decrease in Beck Depression scores. CONCLUSIONS: AA appears to increase FSI, and the differential benefit to noncohabitants suggests that a central activation or disinhibition, rather than peripheral mechanism may be responsible.

Thanks to the link DocST posted in the main forum.

DrSmellThis
01-26-2003, 04:19 AM
The recommended antiviral treatment is to keep taking more until it induces loose bowels. That is your level. Olive leaf is also a strong antiviral.

Source: My Nutritionist