PDA

View Full Version : Lost my job today.

EXIT63
12-13-2002, 06:29 PM
They waited until the project I was working on was finished and kicked me out the door. 2 weeks before Christmas.

NICE

tounge
12-13-2002, 08:45 PM
That really sux. It\'s about as low as whale sh!t in the bottom of the ocean.

Hang in there, You seem like a tough enough dude not only to survive but eventually thrive.

Godspeed.

krtel
12-13-2002, 08:52 PM
That blows dude. IMHO it\'s ethically wrong to do it 2 weeks before Christmas. The unemployment rate is really high in this period of time. Were you laid off or fired?

- Krish

tounge
12-13-2002, 09:12 PM
Post deleted by Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
12-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Post deleted by Bruce

krtel
12-13-2002, 09:46 PM
Post deleted by Bruce

druid
12-13-2002, 10:10 PM
EXIT63 are you a tech worker? Please tell me you are not...I am grad. on tues with a BS in computer science and cannot take any more bad news about the tech job market.....

And it probably is the repubs. But the dems ain\'t much better. THEY ARE ALL BOUGHT BY BIG BUSINESS. BIG BUSINESS IS WHAT RUNS THIS COUNTRY. But I don\'t like Mr.Bush\'s attempts to stimulate our enconmy with tax cuts -- to stimulate the econmy we need jobs simple as that. But no one in the government gives a sh_t because they are too busy lining their pockets with money from big bussiness while the people struggle and suffer. Examples? Ok microsoft..How is the anti-trust suit going? They break into another market (home videogames) all while a major antitrust suit is ongoing and they are let off with a slap on the wrist. How about enron, worldcom, or telecom? What about all these CEO\'s of a lot of recent tech companies walking away with millions while the stocks of these companies are worth mere pennies and the workers are left with nothing (or next to it). The list goes on and on. When is this country gonna wake up and take the country back.....<sigh> Well I am gonna vote next election. Probably dem (unless they get some a-hole up there) <sigh>

tounge
12-13-2002, 10:21 PM
Post deleted by Bruce

**DONOTDELETE**
12-14-2002, 12:24 AM
Exit, I\'m so sorry. I hope they rot in hell. Are you ok?

EXIT63
12-14-2002, 02:30 AM
It has nothing to do with Dems, Reps, the economy or IT.

It has everything to do with cheap bastards, scumbags, and complete and utter assholes.

It sux in the shortrun, but in the longrun, I\'m better off without those ratbastard c0cksuckers!

krtel
12-14-2002, 06:46 AM
Post deleted by Bruce

Elana
12-14-2002, 06:50 AM
Exit- I\'m so sorry. That really sucks.

tounge
12-14-2002, 07:20 AM
Post deleted by Bruce

Whitehall
12-14-2002, 08:54 AM
Let\'s maintain a little decorum and mutual respect here - enough of this swearing and name-callling. Poor Exit lost his livelihood at the worst time of the year so let\'s give him the support he needs.

What does political officeholders have to do with the economy? So long as the party in power doesn\'t muck around too much, business gets along fine most of the time without any direction from the government.

Business cycles are part of life - deal with it. We\'ve had an incredible boom the last 10 years and booms can never last - thank goodness! What we\'ve seen the last year or two has been a mild correction, a pause, before we start a 10 to 15 year run of modest growth but with more of the benefits from productivity gains going to labor.

What I pray is that the White House and Congress do NOT take any major steps to \"HELP\" the economy. There is little constructive they can do for the fundamentals anyway. What I fear is that they\'ll hand out some pork or grant some favors to campaign contributors and call it good for the economy when it\'s just a front for buying votes. Both parties have a weakness for this corruption.

As for Exit, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. The economy is really just the hustle of the people in it, watching out for themselves. Shame that they had to pick this time of the year but if there\'s nothing constructive left on this project and there\'s no new projects needing help, what\'s a company to do? Pay you to twiddle your thumbs?

Two years ago, on October 15, I lost my job too. By January 15 I had started my own company, found an angel investor and went on to get backing from a billionare investor and two prominent political players. By June, it was a total bust but I had my old job back and a 20% raise. Ups and down will come your way but YOU have to deal with what life tosses at you.

Exit, you seem like you got some hustle so put it to work - for you.

SwingerMD
12-14-2002, 10:36 PM
EXIT63,

Ouch! Sorry to hear that man. I\'m still going through the paces of sending out resumes/cover letters and doing interviews. Things are pretty bad in my line of work (research). I learned a little while ago that the last job I was interviewed for was given to a dude with five years of experience and had just reciently laid off from a biotech company. I guess all of my contacts, references, experience, and SOE gel/RM phero mix couldn\'t compete with him /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif . Not to mention that the lab head that inteviewed me loves to Swing dance.

CptKipling
12-15-2002, 01:28 PM
Hang in there mate, you\'ll be fine in the long run.

Try not to let it get to you. My dad lsot his job a few years back, and was miserable for ages. We already had a holiday booked, but because he was worrying so much about being able to support 3 kids through education and get a new car (the previous one was company), he couldn\'t enjoy it.

Pretty heartless of them to spring it on you now, but don\'t let it stop you from having as good a Christmas and New Year as possible.

Bruce
12-15-2002, 03:43 PM
Exit,
Sorry to hear that. Pretty nasty timing as has been said by others. Reminds me of the Bill Murray movie Scrooged? Did you see that? Scrooge fires an employee on Christmas Eve; his secretary says \"But it\'s Christmas Eve!\" and Murray/Scrooge responds \"Thank you so much for reminding me! Run down to accounting and cancel his bonus.\"

Hope I don\'t sound too calous. Actually, I got fired at a far worse time in my life once and it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

I got fired while:
1. Living in Japan on a work visa
2. First baby due in exactly 2 weeks!

Yes, that\'s right, my boss fired me with an 8 1/2 month pregnant wife to support. No savings, no job, diddly. I started crying on the way home and I said to myself \"Bruce, you can\'t walk into your home falling apart at the seems.\" I also didn\'t want to lie to my wife, so I drove around thinking about how I was going to turn this situation around for the better and finally I got it worked out and went home in a relatively upbeat mood. I gave my wife a big hug, told her what happened and that I had been wanting to start my own English school (just occured to me 5 minutes earlier). She went right with it. I worked my ass off and I have never worked a regular job since then. (7 1/2 years). We lived in a couple of shacks, but we always had something to eat and we never had any debts to worry about.

In fact, if I hadn\'t gotten fired that fateful day, I probably never would have started Love Scent. So... for better or worse, here I am.

I wish you good luck with your future too Exit!

Bruce

franki
12-15-2002, 03:57 PM
Wow, that is a great story.

Franki /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
12-15-2002, 04:50 PM
Yeah, it is! What\'s that they say? Where God closes a door, he opens a window ...

Here\'s to better times ahead, Exit.

seadove
12-16-2002, 01:12 AM
You know exit, these bastards don\'t see you as a human being, just a statistical figure that must be IMPROVED during the next quarter.
I myself am scared stiff about the situation especially since I broke my leg and recovering at home.I can smell something though.
When the time comes i\'ll deal with the matter.Just pick up the pieces and build your life anew.There is a jewish saying that goes \"when a door slams at your face god opens 5 windows for you \".

seadove

Goddess
12-16-2002, 12:58 PM
Sorry to hear that Exit - what a dastardly time of year for it to happen (is ther ever a good time tho\'?) But keep the faith - it may be a blessing in disguise. I\'ve often found that when things seem the lowest for me, something really good happens that overshadows the bad, and that the good may not have happened if the bad hadn\'t happened first. I know it\'s not much consolation at this point, but I do empathize with you. TRY to keep a positive outlook on life. Here\'s wishing ya better times ahead!

**DONOTDELETE**
12-16-2002, 07:28 PM
I really feel for you. I lost my job about 3 months ago, and it\'s been near impossible to find something in the IT field in my area these days. I was on edge the whole time, having just purchased a new house and XMas on the horizon.

Up until today I never got a call back on any resumes, but I got a reply today. It may not be as much as I was making but it\'s better than unemployment and it\'s close to home. Now I just got to hope things work out at the interview.

SwingerMD
12-16-2002, 07:41 PM
Good luck!

Lucky
12-18-2002, 09:25 AM
Exit,
Make them sorry...become so valuable in your professional field that you make your own decisions (and maybe theirs, too - ultimately). Nothing is impossible.

Good Luck.