PDA

View Full Version : Pheromone horror story

**DONOTDELETE**
12-12-2002, 08:31 PM
I just had a horrible thought. I remember reading that pheromones fear 2 things: exposure to air and exposure to direct sunlight. Now its probably the radiation in the sunlight that kills the pheros, so as I was reading this I realized that I have my pheromones sitting rather close to my 21\" monitor which I know gives off radiation. I know I\'ve had some sitting next to it for days, though I don\'t keep it on all the time. Did I just kill my pheros? What do you guys think?

krtel
12-12-2002, 09:09 PM
I doubt it. When I have to do my mixing, my room is the only privacy I have, and I mix everything next to my monitor.

- Krish

cuddlebear
12-12-2002, 09:25 PM
Yeah, don\'t think mones are THAT delicate. If they were, they would be destroyed before we\'d ever get any use out of them ... Cuddles /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
12-13-2002, 05:36 AM
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I figured I was just being a little paranoid. It just scared me because I\'ve invested a lot of money in them.

belgareth
12-13-2002, 06:08 AM
I doubt it. It\'s probably the ultra violet that kills the mones. Your monitor doesn\'t generate energy much in that wave length

Whitehall
12-13-2002, 09:58 AM
Your computer monitor does not give off light \"hard\" enough to cause chemical changes. Light that is energetic enough to break chemical bonds is called \"actinic\" and is generally in the deep violet and beyond into the ultraviolet. The phosphors in the monitor do not go that deep. Sun light does and can cause chemical changes like fading in dyes.

The monitor is similar, electrically, to an x-ray machine in that it accelerates electrons to high energy then slams them into a target. In your monitor the targets are the red, green, and blue (RGB) phosphors on the front of the screen, behind the glass. On some early monitors and TVs, the phosphors had heavy elements that gave off x-rays as a byproduct - these have been largely eliminated on current machines so that you only get RGB. Living tissues are more sensitive to actinic and x-ray radiations than chemical compounds like steroids so the limits are set very low for computer and TV users.

Now, take your mone collection into a tanning booth and you might see some degradation although the glass bottles, especially amber ones, provide an additional filter.

Gerund
12-13-2002, 11:41 AM
You got a 21\" monitor?

I\'m sure your pheros are okay, but you may want to have your sperm count checked! hehe